There are newer employer reviews for Vanguard

Highly Ethical Financial Services Company but......

Former Employee - Client Relations Associate in Malvern, PA (US)
Former Employee - Client Relations Associate in Malvern, PA (US)

I worked at Vanguard full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Highly ethical corporation which is a refreshing rarity in today's financial industry.
Comparatively speaking, most of their fund returns lag in bull markets, but the trade off is that
your capital is well protected during bear markets.

Cons

Business practices, in terms of service provided to the client, tends to lean towards elitism.
Employee reviews were critiqued more on a personal level as opposed to a professional level.

Every client is entitled to quality client service.
Vanguard is a corporation not a college campus. Employees should be evaluated on contributions, not popularity.

705 Other Employee Reviews for Vanguard (View Most Recent)

IT Division

I worked at Vanguard full-time

Pros

Opportunity for entry level employees to fast track their stay through the TLP program.
    Good 401k plan and other benefits.
    Ethical, everyone seems to have good values.
    Beautiful campus (PA location at least)

Cons

Poor hiring method for entry level IT employees. Left-Brained extroverts are favored for the TLP program, which creates horrible, loud, incompetent management. The specialized program is a dead end route, you're at a major disadvantage to the TLP's in terms of moving up the ranks in terms of transitioning to management roles, and theres no way to move up in terms of software roles. Not much anyway. Multiple co-workers mentioned that they've been in the same role for years, some since they entered the company.

Left-Brain Extroverts will be horrible for management. HR should consult individual managers about social skills and competency rather than basing the former off of 1-2 intern events when deciding placement in TLP/Specialization route.

Bottom line:
    The co-workers I met there were nice, but the company culture was somewhat lacking. People are much closer to each other at other firms which I enjoy more. The work isn't too bad, a bit on the boring side, but what I would really worry about is the lack of competent management. At one point in the interview process a higher up told me that one of the positions I said I would like to get into later in my career would not be feasible based on my resume. I went on to decline a job offer with a much more reputable software firm for that exact role... Regardless, what type of person in such a high position would say such a thing?

Educational and great customer relationship experience

Current Employee - Team Leader in Scottsdale, AZ (US)
    Current Employee - Team Leader in Scottsdale, AZ (US)

I have been working at Vanguard full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Engaging work environment. People are really enjoyable.

Cons

Career growth is great at first, but can max out with limited opportunities.

Keep crew engaged.