Viacom

www.viacom.com
  www.viacom.com
There are newer employer reviews for Viacom

It was laidback and I received regular feedback for my work.

Former Employee - Research Intern in New York, NY (US)
Former Employee - Research Intern in New York, NY (US)

I worked at Viacom

Pros

N/A - I was an intern with the company, but they seem to have a very good work/life balance.

Cons

I can't think of many cons, other than as an intern you are unpaid. I would rather have a paid internship than to only receive course credits.

Please offer paid internships, so that many other talented individuals are able to contribute to the company as well. I do like that the duration of the internship was 3 months.

210 Other Employee Reviews for Viacom (View Most Recent)

Full potential is not recognized

Current Employee - Production Assistant
    Current Employee - Production Assistant

I have been working at Viacom

Pros

You are exposed to the latest trends in media, you are invited to hear performances from the hottest artists of today and you are part of a company who is leading the TV industry by setting trends.

Cons

Since this is such a big organization, it's very difficult to move up. Unless someone leaves, one could remain in an assistant/low level position for two years.

Take a stronger role in managing freelance works. HR needs to be more involved and project based employees should be evaluated each year and considered for other jobs within the company once work is no longer available for them.

Exciting at first, but offensive management, low morale and insulting pay ruined everything

Former Employee - Content Coordinator in Santa Monica, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Content Coordinator in Santa Monica, CA (US)

I worked at Viacom

Pros

The single best reason to work at Viacom is because it looks good on a resume. I worked with some talented individuals, but there was little to no sense of pride in anyone's work. There were opportunities to drink free beer, but not with the most talented minds at Viacom. The health benefits are quite good. Once every year or so there is free In'n'Out.

Cons

The environment was incredibly clique-oriented and much of the management is simply passive aggressive. The pay is lower than average while the stress is incredibly high, and the company's business models are not designed to reward good content--only good sales executives. Regularly employees are burdened with a ton of responsibility but denied agency and authority to execute creative solutions. Job titles almost never reflect the work done by the employees. There is very little interaction amongst companies. Bicoastal management is simply bipolar--the NYC and Santa Monica offices are almost never on the same page. Regular full-time positions are often axed completely, leaving the rest of the employees to pick up the slack when the jobs are never filled again, or, if they are filled, they are filled with freelance positions or unpaid internships. Some managers show so much animosity towards their employees that they often remark, "I don't have to say thank you because I give you a paycheck."

Stop handing out iPods and Slap Chops at Christmas instead of bonus checks--it's insulting. Foster higher morale by rewarding hard work with bonuses--or at least additional time off--and saying "thank you" to the employees that deserve it. Don't publicly congratulate higher management in front of scornfully underpaid underlings, because it fosters resentment.

There are newer employer reviews for Viacom