Great company to work for

I have been working at W.W. Grainger full-time for more than a year

Pros

They offer great benefits, you can get a consistent schedule with weekends off, Monday through Friday 7am to 5:15pm. They have dual annual reviews to help you know what you need to improve on to help with raises.

Cons

There are some people who seem to keep their jobs even though they are burned out and not working as good team members and pulling their weight.

Other Reviews for W.W. Grainger

Do not fall for the picture HR paints

Former Employee - Account Manager  in  Long Beach, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Account Manager in Long Beach, CA (US)

I worked at W.W. Grainger full-time for more than a year

Pros

Training is it. They will position their profit share and upward mobility, but it is decades for that to happen. You will be sold on the time off, profit share, market position, and the ability to grow. The reality is when you join, get in line. On the bright side, their sales training is a good foundation for improving with another employer. Look at it a s a stepping stone psoition. The Grainger name does carry some positive weight.

Cons

Almost impossible to earn bonus or be promoted. Your goal changes every 6 months. There is a fear monger culture. Micromanaged. They will actually follow under-performers to appointments and discipline for tardiness, cancelation, etc. Their competitors, although much smaller, are much more mobile, cheaper, and contrary to what you're told by Grainger, have a better solution and service offering. You will be taught a sales presentation that must be done with every customer regardless of relevance. I never understood why they hired seasoned sales people because you are not allowed to think on your own. I would strongly suggest you analyze your current situation before making a move. To put this into better perspective, when I announced my resignation, I went in two weeks later to debrief and bring my management team up to speed on any open opportunities etc., it happened to fall right after our District Meeting. My entire team, at different times, came up to me and congratulated me. They said they were envious and are working their hardest to do the same.

Listen to your employees. Stop scaring them into submission and you will see the growth you desire.

Was Great But Has Been Sliding Year Over Year

Current Employee - Account Manager
    Current Employee - Account Manager

I have been working at W.W. Grainger full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Great customers, great offering, front runner in IT infrastructure, consistent profit sharing %age

Cons

Not a place for the money motivated seller. If you are satisfied with the same or less money each year...this is the place for you. Sellers are not compensated for year over year consistent performance. I have been over goal for 6 years in a row and between commision and expense account reductions I have gone from consistent 6 figures to not even considering 6 figures as a possibility. Grainger has its cake and eats it to by increasing sales "credit" goals twice per year so that it compounds and goals raise at an exponential rate. You are not rewarded for high Gross Profit sales year over year, rather you have to generat double digit revenue growth with 40% margins in order to make the exact same pay as the year before. This is an operations company that puts up with the nessesity of having a sales force. Grainger has taken full advantage of the static labor market and has used that to whittle away at what reductions in pay the sellers will put up with. Grainger also manages to the meteocre... If you are smart...stay away. Go somewhere that rewards intelligence. This is a company for sheep. Wolves starve here. Don't walk...Run! Run! Run!

Reward the high performers and don't penalized them year over year by turning stellar growth into next years water mark. If you want people to shoot for the stars...don't starve them when they are still over the moon. The mass exodus of talent will continue as it has unless you relearn how to retain high performers by paying enough to take the issue of money off the table.

There are newer employer reviews for W.W. Grainger.

Worked for W.W. Grainger? Contribute to the Community!