There are newer employer reviews for W.W. Grainger

Great company to work for

I have been working at W.W. Grainger full-time (more than an year)

Pros

They offer great benefits, you can get a consistent schedule with weekends off, Monday through Friday 7am to 5:15pm. They have dual annual reviews to help you know what you need to improve on to help with raises.

Cons

There are some people who seem to keep their jobs even though they are burned out and not working as good team members and pulling their weight.

560 Other Employee Reviews for W.W. Grainger (View Most Recent)

Do not fall for the picture HR paints

Former Employee - Account Manager in Long Beach, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Account Manager in Long Beach, CA (US)

I worked at W.W. Grainger full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Training is it. They will position their profit share and upward mobility, but it is decades for that to happen. You will be sold on the time off, profit share, market position, and the ability to grow. The reality is when you join, get in line. On the bright side, their sales training is a good foundation for improving with another employer. Look at it a s a stepping stone psoition. The Grainger name does carry some positive weight.

Cons

Almost impossible to earn bonus or be promoted. Your goal changes every 6 months. There is a fear monger culture. Micromanaged. They will actually follow under-performers to appointments and discipline for tardiness, cancelation, etc. Their competitors, although much smaller, are much more mobile, cheaper, and contrary to what you're told by Grainger, have a better solution and service offering. You will be taught a sales presentation that must be done with every customer regardless of relevance. I never understood why they hired seasoned sales people because you are not allowed to think on your own. I would strongly suggest you analyze your current situation before making a move. To put this into better perspective, when I announced my resignation, I went in two weeks later to debrief and bring my management team up to speed on any open opportunities etc., it happened to fall right after our District Meeting. My entire team, at different times, came up to me and congratulated me. They said they were envious and are working their hardest to do the same.

Listen to your employees. Stop scaring them into submission and you will see the growth you desire.

Really liked Grainger, Management is a different story

Former Employee - Account Manager
    Former Employee - Account Manager

I worked at W.W. Grainger full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Working at Grainger was a very good experience. The sales training in DPS was in-depth and applied to real world sales. The managers in the branches were great to work with and really helped with understanding customers tendencies. Fellow Acct Mgrs were truly there to help and did everything they could to help.

Cons

Immediate management's only concern was to increase their own political capital to further their own rise within the company. Zero concern for the well being of the Acct Mgrs assigned to them.

Everybody is under pressue to perform, however, if you are truly interested in increasing sales, the stick approach only works so far. Learn to work with your sales force, understand their strengths and help them utilize those strengths to achieve better sales.

There are newer employer reviews for W.W. Grainger