Washington Mutual
www.wamu.com Seattle, WA 5000+ Employees

It's about leadership

VIce President (Former Employee)
Seattle, WA (US)

I worked at Washington Mutual full-time for more than 10 years

ProsThe vision was exciting at first and I was proud to be a part of WaMu. I was able to do some of my best work, with some very creative and bright people.

ConsLeadership--and by that I mean the C suite--got caught up in ego gratification and hubris. For the three to four years before the company went under it was all about the numbers.

Advice to Senior ManagementLearn from your mistakes and surround yourself with people who tell you the truth ... and then resist the urge to run them off if you don't like what you're hearing.

Great company that went under.

Senior Teller (Former Employee)
Visalia, CA (US)

I worked at Washington Mutual full-time for more than 5 years

Pros: Great compensation compared to larger banks. Cons: Unfortunately it went under however was saved by JP Morgan… Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend – I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company… More

Great company---Culture was very good, but failure at senior levels ran the Bank into the ground.

Financial Representative (Former Employee)
Encinitas, CA (US)

I worked at Washington Mutual

Pros: Good pay, benefits, culture. Support in-house promotion vs. outside hiring unless.… Cons: Failure to see that risky lending practices and a greed for money took over vs.… Advice to Senior Management: I think the Bank could have remained a strong and solid Bank if it wasn't for the loosing of lending guidlines and a "race to… Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend More

There are newer reviews on Washington Mutual.

Worked for Washington Mutual? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Washington Mutual reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Washington Mutual CEO James Dimon . All reviews posted anonymously by Washington Mutual employees.