There are newer employer reviews for Washington Mutual

Washington Mutual

Former Employee - Teller in Atlanta, GA (US)
Former Employee - Teller in Atlanta, GA (US)

I worked at Washington Mutual full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I managed to get along with my bosses and my coworkers. I did like the benefits and all the employee discounts available.

Cons

I hated the fact that as a teller you had to stand up. Our stations were setup like a cell phone store but worse because there was an area for the customers to look around on the screen as you processed their transactions. This was invasive and uncomfortable for the employee. Now that I think about it, this was dangerous given that anyone could come in and easily physically assault us since it was a bank after all. I felt like WAMU did not care about our safety. My legs would hurt after a long day of standing up.

Get your employees some chairs!! And put them behind a bullet proof window please!!!

351 Other Employee Reviews for Washington Mutual (View Most Recent)

Great company that went under.

Former Employee - Senior Teller in Visalia, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Senior Teller in Visalia, CA (US)

I worked at Washington Mutual full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great compensation compared to larger banks.

Cons

Unfortunately it went under however was saved by JP Morgan Chase.

Great company---Culture was very good, but failure at senior levels ran the Bank into the ground.

Former Employee - Financial Representative in Encinitas, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Financial Representative in Encinitas, CA (US)

I worked at Washington Mutual

Pros

Good pay, benefits, culture. Support in-house promotion vs. outside hiring unless. Excellent stock options and benefits made this a good place to work.

Cons

Failure to see that risky lending practices and a greed for money took over vs. doing the right thing for the customer and the employees ended in the Bank failing.

I think the Bank could have remained a strong and solid Bank if it wasn't for the loosing of lending guidlines and a "race to the bottom" to approve any and all loan applications. Housing prices, borrow incomes, and FICO scores, are always a snap shot in time---and while that is how all loans are u/w placing more conservative guidelines could have made all the difference!

There are newer employer reviews for Washington Mutual