Wayfair

www.wayfair.com

Extremely transparent. Dynamic working culture.

Current Employee - Software Engineer  in  Boston, MA (US)
Current Employee - Software Engineer in Boston, MA (US)

Pros

The working atmosphere is is good. Colleagues are willing to help.
Flat management hierarchy. Manager are supportive.

Cons

There are still some old technology in use (but quickly being replaced by new technology)

More technology learning sessions

Other reviews for Wayfair

So boring, I quit

Former Employee - Software Engineer  in  Boston, MA (US)
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in Boston, MA (US)

Pros

I met some cool people there. I liked the book club. The HR department was top notch.

Cons

Nearly all tasks are isolated short tasks. Working at Wayfair is to software engineering what working in a factory is to architecture. Think about that.

The company's highest level likes to think of Wayfair as a "meritocracy", but anyone that understands hierarchy and power knows that meritocracies cannot exist. Power, no matter how it is acquired, begets power and thus all meritocracies instantly degenerate into power based hierarchies, where merit no longer plays a role. Wayfair is no different.

The software code-base is a mess. Things are badly organized because the top guy worked that way when it is was a tiny company and he doesn't seem to comprehend that what works for him does not work for everyone, even programmers that are better than he is.

Anyway, I soon came to realize that sleeping at my desk was the most likely future before me, so I quit.

Get rid of all of your managers and hire professionals.

Modern Day Sweatshop

Former Employee - Marketing Analyst  in  Boston, MA (US)
    Former Employee - Marketing Analyst in Boston, MA (US)

Pros

snacks, event tickets, cool co-workers, centrally located, good entry-level position.

Cons

mindless repetitive work, poor mid-level managers who are not promoted on merit but on subjective management protocol, i.e. they like you or they don't- has nothing to do with your work ethic.

Come up with some objective goals in order to allow people to advance. "flying by the seat of your pants" is no way to manage a company.

There are newer employer reviews for Wayfair.

Worked for Wayfair? Contribute to the Community!