There are newer employer reviews for Weyerhaeuser

Would I recommned them YES, would I go return, I don't think so

Former Employee - Project Manager
Former Employee - Project Manager

I worked at Weyerhaeuser

Pros

Prof Growth Opps
Generally Hire very good "line-level" associates
Benefits and work environment are very good
Safety is highest priority, even in the office environment

Cons

In a cyclical industry, so layoffs are not uncommon
Not always looking for long term value in software development
Don't really understand how software development needs to work, still treat it like building they are building a widget.

Enter the 21st century when it comes to the way in which software can better be developed.

171 Other Employee Reviews for Weyerhaeuser (View Most Recent)

Stick a fork in Weyerhaeuser. They are done.

I have been working at Weyerhaeuser

Pros

The people are Weyerhaeuser's best and only remaining asset. Not many of them left.

Cons

Everything I found attractive about this former Fortune 100 company is gone. 401k match - gone, decent health care plan - gone (replaced with high deductable plan), retirement medical benefits - gone, pension plan still in existance, but will be scaled back.

The recent economic situation had hit Weyerhaeuser hard. Questionable decisions in the past to aquire another company was the beginning of the end. At this point, they have let most of the people go. All that remains is managers.

I suggest you all keep your resume up to date as well.

This Used to Be My Playground

I have been working at Weyerhaeuser

Pros

One of the few south-end companies. Mid-level managers are receptive to discussion and are responsive to needs.

Cons

Changes in benefits - medical, pension, 401K. I can understand cutting back on these types of things as times are currently tough. It was recently announced, however, that these changes would be permanent as (if) the company starts growing again.
    This company has never been fiscally responsible. When the have money, they spend it stupidly and when times are tough, the workers bear the brunt of the burden to save money (i.e. layoffs, reduction in benefits, training, etc).
    Outsourcing - Weyco has given away their best resource; Intellectual Property. They have outsourced most of the tribal knowledge and now are left with most of the people that can't get jobs anywhere else or folks that are too new to the company to know what the culture/process.

I could go on and on...but what is the point.

You used to say that "IT is not a core competency", so you outsourced it. I say Senior Management is not a core competency, lets outsource you...oh wait..that will probably happen when Weyerhaeuser (the 100-year-old American company) gets bought by a Chinese conglomerate.

There are newer employer reviews for Weyerhaeuser