Whitbread
www.whitbread.co.uk Dunstable, United Kingdom 5000+ Employees

Fun working atmosphere but too many targets and management changes

Front of House/Waiter (Former Employee)

I worked at Whitbread part-time for more than a year

ProsOften the Front of House teams in the restaurants are quite young so this can make for a fun and sociable working life. Wages and the tip system is brilliant if you're a waiter - can double earnings. Lots of shifts and over-time usually available and people will be quite flexible about swapping shifts.

ConsToo much brand standards to adhere to and which are changed too often. Sometimes feel the service is just too rigid and pushes individuality out of Front of House staff - can even take customer focus away from staff as they are under time and performance pressures. Management seems to change rather regularly in the restaurants, not very coherent for staff - and often favoritism and personal relationships get in the way of effective management.
I also feel career progression is poor - many at the restaurant I worked at had worked there for years and despite pushing, were getting nowhere with progression.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop changing the brand standards and the menus so often, or if you do, provide REAL training on these changes. Work on having slower turnover of management at each site, it's confusing for the team. Have a better talent spotting system for those wanting to progress into a career with the company.

The worst company I have ever worked

Waiter (Current Employee)

I have been working at Whitbread full-time for more than 5 years

Pros: well, really difficult to find any. only one thing may be positive if… Cons: staff meals/drinks - paid, unpaid breaks (it doesnt matter if you take one or not, till system will clock you out autoamticlly after 6 hours,… Advice to Senior Management: put more focus on yours staff not on the figuers… No, I would not recommend this company to a friend More

Over worked and under paid. Short term bottom-line focus is a recipe for disaster

Leisure Manager (Former Employee)
Chichester, England

I worked at Whitbread

Pros: Hard to say as nothing jumps to mind. I guess there is some comfort in knowing that the vast majority of your colleagues are… Cons: Poor salary. Understaffed and therefore very over worked. Working in an enviroinment where there is zero room for anything out of the norm… Advice to Senior Management: Look after your employees - think about their quality of work environment. Stop… No, I would not recommend this company to a friend More

There are newer reviews on Whitbread.

Worked for Whitbread? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Whitbread reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Whitbread CEO Andy Harrison . All reviews posted anonymously by Whitbread employees.