Whitbread

www.whitbread.co.uk

Fun working atmosphere but too many targets and management changes

Front of House/Waiter (Former Employee)

ProsOften the Front of House teams in the restaurants are quite young so this can make for a fun and sociable working life. Wages and the tip system is brilliant if you're a waiter - can double earnings. Lots of shifts and over-time usually available and people will be quite flexible about swapping shifts.

ConsToo much brand standards to adhere to and which are changed too often. Sometimes feel the service is just too rigid and pushes individuality out of Front of House staff - can even take customer focus away from staff as they are under time and performance pressures. Management seems to change rather regularly in the restaurants, not very coherent for staff - and often favoritism and personal relationships get in the way of effective management.
I also feel career progression is poor - many at the restaurant I worked at had worked there for years and despite pushing, were getting nowhere with progression.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop changing the brand standards and the menus so often, or if you do, provide REAL training on these changes. Work on having slower turnover of management at each site, it's confusing for the team. Have a better talent spotting system for those wanting to progress into a career with the company.

The worst company I have ever worked

Waiter (Current Employee)

I have been working at Whitbread full-time for more than 5 years

Pros: well, really difficult to find any. only one thing may be positive if… Cons: staff meals/drinks - paid, unpaid breaks (it doesnt matter if you take one or not, till system will clock you out autoamticlly after 6 hours,… Advice to Senior Management: put more focus on yours staff not on the figuers… No, I would not recommend this company to a friend More

Typical restuarant behaviour

Waitress (Current Employee) Leeds, England

I have been working at Whitbread

Pros: You are looked after quite well Cons: Micromanaged by management teams and expectationsoften unacheivable Advice to Senior Management: Listen to employees more More
There are newer reviews on Whitbread.

Worked for Whitbread? Contribute to the Community!