Wikimedia Foundation

wikimediafoundation.org

Great people, hard problems

Software Engineer (Current Employee) San Francisco, CA (US)

ProsEveryone here believes strongly in the mission. Many of the problems faced by the Wikimedia Foundation are unique -- you don't feel like you are re-inventing the wheel. You get to work with amazing people and impact the lives of half a billion people a year.

ConsCompensation is not competitive for the tech industry due to non-profit status. There is a very vocal community from the projects that often does not trust anything that the WMF does.

Advice to Senior ManagementIt is time to realize what is best for the 500 million readers and sometimes push forward even if the 100,000 editors disagree.

Changing the world and having fun.

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) San Francisco, CA (US)

I have been working at Wikimedia Foundation full-time for more than 3 years

Pros: Driven, motivated staff. Smart managers. Great, downtown SF… Cons: Some of the benefits are being cut back (staff lunch, I miss you), but in fairness others are being… Advice to Senior Management: Pay attention to the community side. Remember that half… Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend – I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company… More

Dysfunctional and disorganized

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Wikimedia Foundation full-time

Pros: People care about what they do here. Everyone is passionate… Cons: Management is clueless, staffed with people with little to no experience in managing a major technical product. They just emphasize hitting strategic metric promises by… Advice to Senior Management: Fire lazy or inept people who cost too much money. Don't repeat hiring the way you have in the past because it's clearly not working.… No, I would not recommend this company to a friend More
There are newer reviews on Wikimedia Foundation.

Worked for Wikimedia Foundation? Contribute to the Community!