There are newer employer reviews for Williams-Sonoma

After a blissful decade, I am now embarrassed to work at Williams-Sonoma.

Current Employee - General Manager  in  Washington, DC (US)
Current Employee - General Manager in Washington, DC (US)

I have been working at Williams-Sonoma full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

-Great Discount
-Mostly Fun, Energetic, Passionate Co-Workers
-Awesome Products

Cons

For the first time in a decade of tenure, this week I became embarrassed to work for Williams-Sonoma. I don’t say that lightly-for many years I have laughed when recruiters from other companies have tried to lure me away, but I always knew that Williams-Sonoma Inc. was the gold standard. Not any more.

It’s not that Williams-Sonoma was a perfect workplace; like anywhere, there have always been pros and cons. The difference was that previously there was not the disconnect that exists today between upper management and the field. There have been signs of these issues for over a year, but this week it became clear that the Williams-Sonoma culture that I used to love so much is in the past tense. Despite the fact that my store is on target for all payroll costs and earnings YTD, I and every single one of my fellow GM’s have been directed to cut our payroll this week and next to a minimum that we normally use during the slowest times of the year. I run a mid-volume store and tomorrow, a Saturday in December, I will run the store with myself and ONE other person all day. All of the things that my company has always said separates us from the competition is out the window. Need a gift wrap? Sorry, you’ll have to take some ‘giftwrap to go’. Buying a 15 piece set of cookware? Sorry, I won’t have staff to help you to your car because I literally will not have one extra person to do so. Need some one-on-one help with some new cutlery? Maybe Sur la Table can help you. No customer will be greeted when they enter the store tomorrow because I and my one other person will be at the register all day. I hope I don’t have to have a bathroom break. Incidentally, the previous guidelines from the same Saturday in previous years would call for 8-12 people working at any given time.

We had a conference call earlier this week with an EVP of the company in which she demonstrated, with breathtaking clarity, her utter lack of understanding of our operational practices. She was literally instructing every GM in the company about computer processes for payroll management that don’t exist. Disturbing. I would crawl over broken glass for my DM and RVP, but there is a point at which the corporate leadership has to lead the culture, or else the culture dies. It’s dead.

At this point I don't even know where to start. See above.

622 Other Employee Reviews for Williams-Sonoma (View Most Recent)

going down hill really fast.

Current Employee - Business Analyst  in  San Francisco, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Business Analyst in San Francisco, CA (US)

I have been working at Williams-Sonoma full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

40% off
    sample sale
    doesn't fire slackers and under performers
    if you know the manager you can get hired with experience

Cons

location (near pier 39)
    politics
    salary
    favoritism
    lack of process
    co workers are not helpful
    no work from home policy

listen to employees and accommodate, recognize high performing employees rather than boot lickers.

gone from good to bad, no longer classy

Current Employee - Sales Associate  in  Santa Monica, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Santa Monica, CA (US)

I have been working at Williams-Sonoma part-time

Pros

nice employees to work with at bottom level

Cons

This company is no longer a classy upscale store that carries what you need or is good to their employees. Instead we carry silly gagdets tht are not practical but are overpriced and we don't carry some basic kitchen items that everyone should have. Top management only cares about bottom line-money and not about the best customer service. i also became embarassed 2 weeks ago when corporate told the managers to cut payroll in half at the bussiest time of tne year-no gift wrap, no answering phones, no greeting at the door-unbelievable! Pay for associates is too low and no acknowledgment of a job well done. Top management does not care about employees or try to keep them happy. Only good thing is the other associates that work there are great

Sorry but the CEO since Chuck died has run this company into the dirt

There are newer employer reviews for Williams-Sonoma

Worked for Williams-Sonoma? Contribute to the Community!