Williams-Sonoma
www.williams-sonomainc.com San Francisco, CA 5000+ Employees

Dumbing down of Williams-Sonoma

Casual Associate (Current Employee)
Cambridge, MA (US)

I have been working at Williams-Sonoma part-time for more than 5 years

Pros-Hired when the associates were bright, fun, hardworking, and informed about product.
-40% is a good discount but as an associate, there are no benefits and the hourly is not competitive

Cons-Product is getting stale and dated while prices going up too much without increased quality to customer.
-Customer service taking a huge nose-dive due in large part to all of the corporate directives
-Cutting hours, hiring inexperienced staff with no particular interest in kitchen stuff and given no training, useless "secret shopper"
-Slow and still antiquated computer systems
-Sloppy new dress code - what kind of first impression does an associate make who is dressed in sloppy jeans and a motley shirt. Let's go back to a classic look or moniter the dress of your staff better.
-Weekly scheduling is done last minute and hours are sporadic.
-Rarely promote from within at the store level
-Tracking individual sales does not promote team approach to selling
-Hawking for email, zip code, VISA etc.is annoying
-Too much favoritism and small-time power play that goes with many retail businesses

Advice to Senior ManagementGo back to what Chuck thought was important - sell a great product, put your people first, and give great customer service. All else follows.

Sketchy

Customer Service Sales (Former Employee)
Oklahoma City, OK (US)

I worked at Williams-Sonoma full-time for more than a year

Pros: The people you meet there are nice Okay pay Cons: Customers all have bad attitudes when things do not go… No, I would not recommend this company to a friend – I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company… More

High expectations

Associate (Former Employee)
Louisville, CO (US)

I worked at Williams-Sonoma part-time for more than 3 years

Pros: Great discount, potentially fun environment (depends on managers/staff) Cons: Low pay, vast degree of product knowledge required, high-pressure to… Advice to Senior Management: urge your managers to treat employees respectfully, allow them to… No, I would not recommend this company to a friend – I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company… More

There are newer reviews on Williams-Sonoma.

Worked for Williams-Sonoma? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Williams-Sonoma reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Williams-Sonoma CEO Laura J. Alber. All reviews posted anonymously by Williams-Sonoma employees.