There are newer employer reviews for Wincanton

Exciting opportunities in an essential industry - things improving at Wincanton plc

Current Employee - Manager in Chippenham, South West England, England
Current Employee - Manager in Chippenham, South West England, England

I have been working at Wincanton

Pros

Varied opportunities coupled with project work and change management. Always something going on, but you need to be flexible and prepared to seize opportunities as, when and where they occur.

Cons

A bit disjointed and some IT issues. Silo mentality. Fire fighting on occasions and obsession with how results will be received in city - some short term knee jerk actions as a result.

Advice to Management

Get off your backsides and visit some sites - get a feel for the business. Stop reading about how to do it - do it! And take a long term view sometimes.

reviews filtered by

Exposure to a variety of blue-chip companies but limited opportunity for career progression

I worked at Wincanton

Pros

Challenging, fast-paced working environment
    Opportunities to work on a variety of blue-chip customer contracts across the business

Cons

Limited opportunity for career progression
    Slow to deal with ineffective personnel at a senior management level in some instances
    Existence of 'old boys' network
    Failure to deliver strategic initiatives

2. hgv tanker driver

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Barry, Wales
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Barry, Wales

I worked at Wincanton (More than 10 years)

Pros

the company was always approachable and appreciated employees who used their initiative.Also the company always had good working conditions

Cons

Sometimes it appeared as though some people were employed who didn't know the job
    I,m referring to management Some managers were put in charge of liquid tankers and had only ever experienced powder and flat bed vehicles

Advice to Management

Chase new business more vigourously and perhaps diversify more e.g specialist transport cars, heavy equipmenti and perhaps a takeover