Workday

www.workday.com
  www.workday.com
There are newer employer reviews for Workday

The best place I have ever worked

Current Employee - Senior Enterprise Architect
Current Employee - Senior Enterprise Architect

I have been working at Workday

Pros

After many years in Enterprise software and corporate America in general, I was starting to lose faith that there were any really great companies (or ideas) out there. Joining Workday two years ago changed my mind about everything that a corporation can be. I wake up every morning excited to get to work and feel fulfilled by my job. I have no desire to move into management but that decision has been respected and I have been consistently rewarded for being a top individual contributor.

I feel fortunate to work with fantastic people on all levels of the organization. My peers in sales are excellent and they respect the value that I bring to the company. My direct management has always been very supportive of my work and me as a person. I feel this is a company where people genuinely care about the people that they work with, and that starts at the top with Dave Duffield and Aneel Bhusri.

One of the exciting things about my job is that I work with many different companies (in pre-sales) helping them understand the value of Workday. I get to experience the corporate culture of these companies as we go through the sales process. How do they treat vendors? How do they talk to each other? I get to see these aspects and many more as part of the sales cycle. That has given me a deep appreciation for just how few companies are like Workday in how they treat employees. I feel very lucky to be a part of building such a great organization.

I work from home on the days I am not travelling and I feel well integrated even though I am in the field. My work-life balance is respected by both my peers and management. I recently took a week off during the busiest time of the quarter and my management didn't complain.

Cons

We have been trying to hire an additional person in my position for over a year now and still have not found someone who can satisfy all the requirements. This means that I been very busy (and getting busier). My management has gone out of their way to ensure I don't get overworked, but at some point we just need more people to do the job.

I am also still somewhat confused about our commission compensation, how it is calculated and how long it takes for us to get our compensation plans. I understand we are a growing company, but for variable compensation to be a motivator the plans need to be clear and delivered on a timely basis.

Because the company is still relatively young and growing fast some of our internal processes are not fully matured. Things like performance reviews are not conducted on a regular basis (even though I get regular informal feedback on my performance). I think for some this may be frustrating because they need more consistent "official" feedback. I suspect this is particularly true for younger workers who are looking to constantly improve their performance. I hope this is something that can be addressed as we continue to grow.

155 Other Employee Reviews for Workday (View Most Recent)

"Bait and Switch"

Former Employee - Corporate Sales Development in Pleasanton, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Corporate Sales Development in Pleasanton, CA (US)

I worked at Workday

Pros

Disruptive technology
    Impressive brand name customers
    Top leadership well respected in the industry
    IPO on the horizon
    Chance to make a mark on a promising new company

Cons

The term "bait and switch" comes to mind when thinking about my experience at Workday. I was sold on the idea of joining up with a hot company that values building and grooming talent. That is the whole premise of what Workday's very own product is supposed to provide...isn't it? I was promised that there would be ample opportunities to explore different areas within the organization and grow my career. Soon after joining the team, I came to the harsh realization that was not the case.

The leadership of the sales development team quickly proved that they make empty promises. The idea of "talent management" and helping employees to grow is nothing more than a feel-good slogan on the front page of the website. Employees are not treated in a respectful and adult manner, and are openly criticized in front of peers. Team morale only continues to decrease, and there is no improvement in sight.

If you want to continue to attract top talent, you better start taking a look at how well the current talent gets treated by those you put in management positions.

Good Place to work if you like to be discriminated against

I worked at Workday full-time (more than an year)

Pros

A lot of good people (although most have left)
    Fairly good product

Cons

Senior Management is Machiavellian
    No upward growth
    "In crowd" atmosphere
    Innovation is discouraged
    If you get on the wrong side of Snr Management, you are put on "special project"
    IPO won't get their emps anything. C'mon guys, $250m raised in VC funding?! You will be left with a crap job and no upward mobility

Too bad money can't buy you character and integrity

There are newer employer reviews for Workday