Yahoo

www.yahoo.com
  www.yahoo.com
There are newer employer reviews for Yahoo

As Good As It Gets

Current Employee - Editor in Sunnyvale, CA (US)
Current Employee - Editor in Sunnyvale, CA (US)

I have been working at Yahoo

Pros

If you must endure corporate culture, Yahoo has one of the best environments in the Bay Area. The main campus mimics the layout of a university, but its maturity doesn't have the patchwork layout of other newer campuses. There's something to be said about having a decent gym, grounds, and people who are cordial to one another.

Cons

As with any company that has been around for a long time, Yahoo takes a while to shed dead weight. Part of that is indicative of a lack of nimbleness, as well as the Silicon Valley fantasy of the flat structure. Besides constantly seeking new talent, there needs to be an equal measure of in-house development of talent. New managers should be required to undergo leadership training, and promotions should not go hand-in-hand with seniority.

Yahoo should be a content company. Period. It has the power and perhaps the responsibility to reshape the new media landscape.

1841 Other Employee Reviews for Yahoo (View Most Recent)

Ignore the negative press, Yahoo! is a great company

Current Employee - Senior Director of Support in Sunnyvale, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Senior Director of Support in Sunnyvale, CA (US)

I have been working at Yahoo

Pros

Yahoo is a fantastic company. I have worked at some of the major high tech companies in the valley including Apple, and think Yahoo is the best. You can actually make a difference, and senior management is truly engaged and supportive.

Cons

Yahoo! currently is where Apple was in the early 90s. The media and analysts jump on everything negative and publicize it, while ignoring the positives. Staying positive and focusing on delivering results is difficult when everyone on the outside is constantly telling you how bad your company is doing.

I would continue to stick to the growth plan, deliver results, and be our own PR team.

Great place to learn, not a good place if you are looking for work life balance.

Current Employee - QA Engineer in Sunnyvale, CA (US)
    Current Employee - QA Engineer in Sunnyvale, CA (US)

I have been working at Yahoo

Pros

You see great talent in Yahoo!. You will be proud to work for the most visited internet portal. You will be paid more than the industry standards and competitors.

Yahoo! supports and contributes open source technologies. You get an opportunity to work on the latest and most demanding technologies.

The only reason I am with Yahoo is that I am proud to be part of the application development which is used by millions of people. I am happy to be Yahoo!

Cons

No work life balance. You will hear the same from most of the Bay Area companies.
    The decision making at the top management seems wrong in many areas, such as acquiring new companies and developing / investing in new projects

I say only one thing. Don't feel shame thinking that other companies are ahead of you. Stay focused on the areas of improvement and achieve the target with in the expected time. You are not runing in loses. You just need a break and users support.

There are newer employer reviews for Yahoo