Yahoo

As Good As It Gets

Editor (Current Employee)
Sunnyvale, CA (US)

I have been working at Yahoo

ProsIf you must endure corporate culture, Yahoo has one of the best environments in the Bay Area. The main campus mimics the layout of a university, but its maturity doesn't have the patchwork layout of other newer campuses. There's something to be said about having a decent gym, grounds, and people who are cordial to one another.

ConsAs with any company that has been around for a long time, Yahoo takes a while to shed dead weight. Part of that is indicative of a lack of nimbleness, as well as the Silicon Valley fantasy of the flat structure. Besides constantly seeking new talent, there needs to be an equal measure of in-house development of talent. New managers should be required to undergo leadership training, and promotions should not go hand-in-hand with seniority.

Advice to Senior ManagementYahoo should be a content company. Period. It has the power and perhaps the responsibility to reshape the new media landscape.

wake up! people

Senior Software Engineer (Current Employee)
Santa Clara, CA (US)

I have been working at Yahoo

Pros: nice people, good compensation, good working environment Cons: low stock price, stupid upper level management Advice to Senior Management: wake up Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend More

Good company to work for, needs better leadership (not just Jerry - all of Senior Management)

Marketing Manager (Current Employee)
Sunnyvale, CA (US)

I have been working at Yahoo

Pros: some of the key aspects that make Yahoo! a good place to work are: working with smart people, (for the most part) a collegial, balanced… Cons: Probably the biggest downside for me as a berkeley resident is the really long commute down to sunnyvale. Again, the Yahoo! buses make it… Advice to Senior Management: Well, it probably doesn't matter anymore - because I can't see Yahoo! continuing as an independant entity as it currently exists. If that were… Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend More

There are newer reviews on Yahoo.

Worked for Yahoo? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Yahoo reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Yahoo CEO Marissa Mayer. All reviews posted anonymously by Yahoo employees.