There are newer employer reviews for Yankee Candle

I love my job and this Company !

Current Employee - Store Manager
Current Employee - Store Manager

I have been working at Yankee Candle full-time for more than a year

Pros

The company gives extensive training and development on all levels. You are given MANY tools to develop your business acumen and strategy. The sales program is called A.S.A.P. Used properly, it gives a manager a clear cut manner in which to train everyone in the store (including themselves) in proper sales techniques. It is short and simple and allows you to observe and coach effectively.

The bonus structure is generous. If you make your goals, EVERYONE gets a bonus, irregardless of your position and hours that you work. The Company's attitude is that it takes a team to achieve great sales results. As a SM, we have a lot of responsibility, however, it is not a success in which we can take all of the credit ! It takes a village...

Your days fly by !!! There is ALWAYS something to do if business is slow. The customers are loyal to the brand and quite proud of this ! The Company's return policy is generous which makes the customers happy and assures repeat business. For the most part, our customers are wonderful and a lot of fun.

Cons

The downside is more of a comment on retail management in general- in light of the economic climate. Yankee Candle is no worse than any other retailer at this time. No matter where you are working, management is expected to do more with less payroll. If you are the kind of manager that is committed to growing your business, you will have long work weeks. 50+ hrs most of the time. Holidays there are more expectations for your time in the store. But you are given comp days.

Quicker turnaround on replenishment.

Simplify communications. TOO MANY EMAILS !!!! Let us run our stores and spend our time servicing customers. It is crazy to have to check two email boxes MULTIPLE times, daily, in order to react on a dime !

191 Other Employee Reviews for Yankee Candle (View Most Recent)

Overall good experience and competive wages compared to other retail stores

Former Employee - Sales Associate  in  Portland, OR (US)
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Portland, OR (US)

I worked at Yankee Candle part-time for less than a year

Pros

Payed weekly, relaxing work enviorment, and friendly staff

Cons

Minimal Hours evend during the holiday season

Never work here

Former Employee - Store
    Former Employee - Store

I worked at Yankee Candle full-time for more than a year

Pros

Benefits package and employee discount are both pretty good

Cons

I really don't understand why anyone stays working at this company. I worked there for a year and wish I would have left sooner. I left to manage a larger retail store and am so much happier. I dreaded coming to work every day for Yankee. Managers are just labor savors, you really have too small of a staff to "manage" much. The company is very mis-focused. The 2 large metrics they rate you on is ADS(average dollar per sale) and secret shops. Both show that they care very little about your actual interaction with the guests and developing a rapore with them. using these metrics they train to not care about the guest unless they spend over $30 each visit. I believe you should treat every guest the same when spending $1 or $1000. the secret shop only makes the employees live in fear each day that they will forget one of the many add-ons that don't even relate to what the customer may be purchasing. I mean really how disconnected to your customer can you be to always try to add on a wick trimmer to someone who only wants to fragrance their car?

There are newer employer reviews for Yankee Candle

Worked for Yankee Candle? Contribute to the Community!