Enterprise Rent-A-Car Reviews

3.2
3,700 Reviews
Enterprise Rent-A-Car President and CEO Pamela M. (Pam) Nicholson
Pamela M. (Pam) Nicholson

Pros
  • Company stays true to their values; customer service really is their way of life (in 249 reviews)

• met a lot of great people who I are my friends that I met at enterprise (in 176 reviews)

Cons
  • No work life balance ( 7 am - 6 pm everyday without any ability to work around) (in 525 reviews)

• you will be working many long hours with not much opportunities to take time off (in 923 reviews)

1. Management Trainee - Summer Internship

Former Intern - Anonymous Intern
    Former Intern - Anonymous Intern

I worked at Enterprise Rent-A-Car as an intern

Pros

Interactive role, given responsibility and allows you to gain a lot of experience. The people were enthusiastic in training and in the day to day job. I received a lot of support from colleagues and superiors.

Cons

The pay is not the best, especially working around 50-60 hours a week.

2. Great potential to take ownership of your own career

Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Lincoln, England
    Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Lincoln, England

I have been working at Enterprise Rent-A-Car full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Numerous opportunities for promotion and great training and development throughout!
    Great earning potential, strong benefits and genuinely have fun!

Cons

Be prepared to work hard, and remember hard work is rewarded.

3. Very strict and 'Americanised' company

Former Employee - Recoveries Specialist in Aldershot, England
    Former Employee - Recoveries Specialist in Aldershot, England

I worked at Enterprise Rent-A-Car full-time

Pros

They encourage fun days I.e. charity days, bake sales, BBQ's in the car park etc. You aren't -managed and you are respected if you provide results.

Cons

Very low pay, strict rules I.e. you can't hug a colleague as it could be seen as sexual. Strict on breaks and if you're late twice even by one minute in a month you have a meeting the discuss why and minutes are taken in the meeting!!

Advice to Management

loosen up and treat staff with respect and don't treat them like children. Increase wages.

5. management trainee

I worked at Enterprise Rent-A-Car full-time

Pros

Like others here have mentioned, no pros at all.

Cons

If you are a graduate stay of out this, Enterprise is a retail company that pays management £7 an hour or maybe £8 depending on how well each of their branch performs. As a Management Trainee you’re looking at approximately £4 an hour.

You will work around 60-65 hours a week over 24 days. Yes you only get 6 days off in a month. During festive periods such as Christmas, Easter etc you will work 70hours a week with maybe 4 days off in a month. No overtime unless you reach you’re contracted hours. In a nutshell it’s the equivalent to working in ALDI supermarket; the only difference is enterprise is a car supermarket.
    You will work with immature people between the ages of 19-24. No one has experience outside of the company so they do not know any better as to how employees should be treated.
    Company has one the highest staff turnover in the U.K. Dishonesty is encouraged between each neighbouring branches. Managers are very flippant and get anxious very quickly due to inexperience.
    There is no training given what so ever. You will get told off for not being able to complete a task even though you haven't received any training.
    Daily duties include
    Cleaning cars (it’s not nice cleaning cars 7:30 in the morning in November especially)
    Like a chauffeur you will pick up and drop of VERY demanding customers
    You need to be physically fit as you will have to move around customers luggage's in to their cars.
    If you’re a female definitely stay out of this job, you will be working with people who do not speak English and love looking at women inappropriately in the car park and car wash bay.
    Basic maintenance around the branch such as cleaning, hovering, filing, and some data entry work if there aren’t any cars to deliver or wash.

Advice to Management

Seriously, you guys will get sued soon. An employee who is bothered one day will take you to court. Stop lying about the job role. Just be honest. Some people actually like this kind of job. Advertise to the appropriate people. Not to people who have spent more than 20 thousand pounds on their education.
    Area managers need to spend more time in their branches; I once almost got squashed by an Assured driver reversing when I was standing next to a wall. Without being over dramatic that could have resulted in death. When I spoke to my manager (due to inexperience) he honestly did not understand the consequence of the incident he just said ' we will talk later' and then answered the phone. The next day I handed in my resignation.
    Also scrap this bull crap of 'we only promote with in' that's the very thing that causes bad treatment from management, they know they are hard to replace hence they disrespect Management trainees and management assistants. Get rid of this false promise of the Management qualification and start recruiting real men and women with vast experience in significant aspects such as
    • making sense of your organisation (strategy)
    • Leadership and management
    • Managing resources: people
    • Managing budgets
    • Managing processes
    • Planning and risk assessment /planning and change management
    Just because an employee hits your 'Elite club' (most probably by cheating) and upgrades a customer from a Corsa to an Astra doesn't mean they are 'The future Business Leaders' come on guys, you all need a reality check.

The view from this side of the fence...

Former Employee - Management Assistant in London, England
    Former Employee - Management Assistant in London, England

I worked at Enterprise Rent-A-Car

Pros

+ Opportunity to meet other graduates and drive some exclusive cars

Cons

Let it be known: This is far from your standard graduate development programme. It is a sales/retail job masquerading as a 'graduate programme' in order to attract top-tier (and rather desperate in today's economy) graduates and trap them into a monotonous, cut-throat retail job. Trust the REAL reviews on here and be wise to the ones that are clearly written in clean, corporate language (probably by employees) and obviously planted to portray the company in a positive light. I gave 19 months of my life I will never get back to this company and if only one person avoids the same mistake this will all be worth it. So, onto the negatives...

- Long Hours + Overtime ~ legally contracted to 55 hours *minimum* (i.e. you will never work less than this amount) and will regularly post a 60+ hour week.

- The People ~ Some are nice, affable people. However, a significant amount are out to serve themselves and will simply tear through anyone in their way to get promoted.

- Sales Culture ~ See above. Sell, sell, sell! Promotion is based largely on your sales performance, i.e. your figures at the end of each month. People regularly stab each other in the back to steal a 'sale' from the other person and boost their own figures in order to get promoted quicker. I witnessed a deplorable amount of back-handedness and manipulation during my time. Employees are constantly finding loopholes and ways manipulating their figures to an extent I could only describe as endemic. Make no mistake, the general office environment is a paragon of social Darwinism and the idea of survival of the fittest. If you're not the right character this sort of work environment will crush you.

- High Staff Turnover - As a new graduate, any company that recruits on a 'continual' basis should be your first warning sign. This place is a meat grinder and I've seen dozens of fresh-faced graduates walk through the doors only to be worked into the ground and leave utterly exhausted and dejected.

- Management ~ Utterly clueless and oblivious to the toils of staff on the front-line. Frequently found to be 'culling' the workforce at offices in order to cut back on incurred costs such employee salaries. Would rather leave an office understaffed and over-worked in order to squeeze every efficiency-saving penny out of the team than employ any semblance of an adequately staffed office (see first point)

I could go on, but these are the main issues you will encounter. Again, this is all purely personal opinion based on years of service.

Advice to Management

Words fail me.

7. Amazing company to work and start a career

Current Employee - Management in Edinburgh, Scotland
    Current Employee - Management in Edinburgh, Scotland

I have been working at Enterprise Rent-A-Car

Pros

Career progress is there if you work hard and perform. You will always know what you need to do to progress and get to the next level. As long as you perform and follow your training folder and ask for help you will see your self progressing very quickly in your career. This career is what you make of it so don't be put off by negative reviews. Enterprise has been an amazing career and still is.

Cons

Yes you have read reviews about the hours but the only difference between us and other companies is that you will work hard, yes, put in the hours but will see yourself progressing in a career as a result. Let's be realistic no matter career you go into you are going to work hard, you will put in the hours...why? because you want to make a name for yourself. Well you will do that with us but see yourself progressing in a career as a result.

I worked here for 18 months and got promoted twice, however you have to sacrifice far too much to the company.

Former Employee - Assistant Branch Manager
    Former Employee - Assistant Branch Manager

I worked at Enterprise Rent-A-Car full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Quick promotions, can realistically become an Assistant Branch manager in 12-18 months. However promotions are purely based on who you know and who you have sucked up too.

Cons

Stupidly long working hours, on average I did 60-70 hours a week without any breaks. The higher management care very little for the people working there, their hours or working environment, so long as the branch makes money.

9. An exercise in endurance

Former Employee - Branch Rental Manager in London, England
    Former Employee - Branch Rental Manager in London, England

I worked at Enterprise Rent-A-Car

Pros

- If you didn't have a work ethic before, you'll have one by the end or you won't last long.
    - I was there for 3+ years and finished as a successful branch manager, it opened doors for me in other companies.
    - There is plenty of room for career development within the company, IF you are willing to play the game

Cons

- I was working 65 hour weeks by the time I finished, despite their corporate drivel their business model doesn't care for work/life balance. It takes over your evenings and weekends and it's not uncommon to work 12-15 hour days. If you don't graft you will not progress.
    - The pay is terrible up until branch manager, considering the responsibility and work load expected of you.
    - All the training you receive is in-house and very specific to the company. Convincing other organizations that the training is relevant to them is tricky (from the view point of moving jobs)
    - Some of the KPI's are way out of your control, and depending on your regional policy, you could see deductions from your commission.
    - They try to operate an accountability and performance management culture, however that culture should go both ways, and you see very little praise and recognition. They use it mainly to push employees they see as weak or troublesome into quitting.

Advice to Management

It's a problem that starts at a high level. They don't supply the top level managers with the tools and proper training to create a working environment that's pleasant to be in.

Immediate management can be supportive, but it's truly pot luck. If they are supportive and good at their job it's because of their personality traits rather than any training provided by the company.

10. Would I recommend it? Absolutely not.

Current Employee - Branch Rental Manager in London, England
    Current Employee - Branch Rental Manager in London, England

I have been working at Enterprise Rent-A-Car full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

-Variety.
    -It certainly will toughen you up.
    -I reached branch manager in 3 years.
    -Opens the door for other roles (externally), particularly within sales.
    -There are roles outside of rental that are more interesting and rewarding.

Cons

-The hours. On average I worked a minimum of 65 hours a week, even at branch manager level.
    -Always short staffed, hence the above.
    -Huge amounts of pressure. The "yes" mentality certainly helps grow the business but also puts you under huge pressure to meet you obligations. You are forced by senior management to take deals that you simply cannot source a vehicle for.
    -No time to train employees, which means they spend their time surviving rather than developing and learning.
    -Lack of support from senior management.
    -KPIs out of your control negatively impacting your pay.
    -Terrible base salaries.
    -You have to play the game to get ahead, this can mean trampling over peers who you regard as friends.
    -No work life balance. I've known people (branch managers) have to cancel their days off that they've had booked for months because a member of their team has gone "sick".
    -Too much stick, not enough carrot. KPIs and performance reviews can be used in a positive way, not just as a tool to get people to do more. Praise was rare.
    -Poor long term retention. It was a shame to watch the best people leave.
    -If someone leaves or moves out of rental they are deemed to have failed. A huge stigma.

Advice to Management

-Focus on your work/life balance. It can make the difference between retaining your best people and losing them.
    -Support the branches. They are the people who drive the business, get cars on the road, greet the customers. Leaving them under pressure and short staffed negatively impacts their behaviour, and ultimately service.

11. Good experience

Current Employee - Management Trainee
    Current Employee - Management Trainee

I have been working at Enterprise Rent-A-Car

Pros

Lots of opportunities abroad, particularly Spain so good if you speak Spanish. Excellent opportunity to get an insight into business.

Cons

I haven't yet finished the recruitment process so can't comment

Enterprise Rent-A-Car Photos