Enterprise Rent-A-Car

3.0 2,472 reviews

Enterprise Rent-A-Car President and CEO Pamela M. (Pam) Nicholson

Pamela M. (Pam) Nicholson

2,472 Employee Reviews

Pros:
  • "You work in a fast paced environment that teaches you how to enhance your customer service skills"
    in 204 reviews
  • "This is a business where you get to work with great people in a fun sales driven atmosphere"
    in 141 reviews
Cons:
  • "No work life balance ( 7 am - 6 pm everyday without any ability to work around)"
    in 360 reviews
  • "There are very long hours especially if you are driven to be promoted quickly"
    in 725 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Different to what I was expecting but a good overall experience

Management Trainee Intern (Former Employee)

I worked at Enterprise Rent-A-Car as an intern for less than a year

ProsNot a highly pressurised environment - managers are friendly and often a good atmosphere in the office. Everyone is willing to help out if you have questions, and I never felt scared to ask.

ConsA lot of driving around which can be stressful. Sometimes your skills aren't necessarily utilised because of this, and you don't get as much time learning about key business/management functions.

Advice to Senior ManagementHave more detailed on the job training - sessions with your store manager where they explain about the different things that they do day to day.

Fast paced, Always on your feet decision making

Branch Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at Enterprise Rent-A-Car full-time for more than 5 years

ProsYou manage yourself and have the opportunity to learn anything and everything at your own pace.

ConsBottlenecks at the Branch Manager level.

Ridiculous

Management Trainee (Current Employee)

I have been working at Enterprise Rent-A-Car full-time

Pros-Opportunities of advancement
-Good to have ERAC on CV
-Different locations for easier access
-Allows following passion if you can do the time

Cons-Very long hours, doesn't allow you you to have a social life
-Not easy but worth it in the long run.

Advice to Senior ManagementSort out HR - It's a shambles.

3rd World Pay, and Conditions to Boot!

Management Trainee (Former Employee)
London, England

I worked at Enterprise Rent-A-Car full-time for more than a year

ProsJob security - They have a huge gap merging for Assistant Managers and Branch Managers who have resigned. If your young, single, with no real responsibility in life, then you'll fit right in.

The Cars - You sometimes get to drive and deliver some really nice cars like BMW's or Jag's to customers homes.

ConsContracted 50 hour week (But more realistic 55-60hours) - You will be expected to stay late at the drop of a hat with no warning regardless of your plans. If you have a social life, wave it goodbye - ZERO work life balance, you will become a ghost to your nearest and dearest.

Extremely low pay - For the hours you work you'd be better off working at Mcdonald's on a 40hour week contract... FACT!

My honest advise to anyone considering this as a career (especially graduates) use your degree for something more worthy and work for another company in the city. You'll earn more, get bigger pay rises and still be able to see your friends at the weekend.

Advice to Senior ManagementIf I could say one honest thing to Jack Taylor and his family it would be - 'You promote the wrong people and wrong personalities to sustain a profitable company and business model'

Let's look at how... Currently the company promotes the person who can sell, sell, sell.
That's great but, why only the best sellers? They need to be so much more and have the personality traits to suit the role. This is biggest reason for people leaving Enterprise. You see the same type of managers over and over and start to wonder where all good decent people went? Promoting purely one type of personality, means that you loss the mix within the company and breed a culture of 'saleman or quit'. Head office in America.. LISTEN UP! there is MORE TO A PERSON THAN SELLING!
Don't encourage single mindedness in staff, reflect the diversity of people within the company. Promoting these salesmen, wideboy types is gonna cost you at least two to three resignations a month!
Promoting people with inflated sense of ego, who spend there days, basking in reflective glory, convincing others of their grandeur are hardly role models to trainees.

Without real change soon there will be no skilled managers left to train the newly promoted. The pyramid scheme of promotions currently in place will soon collapse. The whole expansion plan in the UK is in serious trouble if you don't take these and all the other comments found here on board.

Worst decision - Please do not make the same mistake

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Enterprise Rent-A-Car

ProsOverworked underpaid and forced to lie to customers.

ConsMiss-selling is promoted from day one.
Don't buy a nice business suit because you'll be on your knees scrubbing cars from day one.
Only judged on ridiculous KPI's that mean you have to shaft every customer to get anywhere.
The hours are past a joke having to work over 50 hours every week for minimum wage when you do the math.

Spends years being completely selfish to both customers and your demotivated co-workers an you may make it to a store manager where you can spend the rest of your life working for an unappreciative uncaring organisation for a salary you could earn in the 2nd year of most jobs.

Advice to Senior ManagementChange the whole culture of this money hungry organisation to one that cares about the customers and the employees

Good training program and progressional opportunities but its hard work and long hours for average pay.

Assistant Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at Enterprise Rent-A-Car full-time for more than a year

Pros- Great co-workers real team atmosphere.
- Good training program aimed at producing branch and assistant mangers.
- Only recruit from within so many varied opportunities available.
- If timing is right progression can be quick leading to better pay and benefits.
- Good employee discount scheme.
- Generous holiday allowance.
- Annual profit share contribution to pension scheme.

Cons- Long hours as an assistant manager I often work 7am to 7pm.
- Have to work 5 out of 7 days which means many weekends.
- Staffing is always light which can be very stressful.
- Required to move around during training with no support to these moves.
- Average pay is poor considering the hours and effort required.

Advice to Senior Management- Increase pay.
- Give all managers a car.
- Listen to what day to day managers are saying.
- Spend more time at grass root business level.

Absolutely horrific!!!

Management Assistant (Former Employee)
Salisbury, England

I worked at Enterprise Rent-A-Car full-time for more than a year

ProsYou can meet some interesting people but build an out of work friendship quickly because they tend to move on fast!
1 in 100 customer's will be nice, educated, cultured people who quickly wonder what they did to their insurance company for them to want to send them to Enterprise.
Pension was good, not that you'll ever see it because you'll die before you get it.

ConsTerrible working conditions
Sociopath owners and senior management
Illegal business practices
Highly unethical business practices
Very long working hours and compulsory overtime
Very low pay and little other rewards
Some co-workers can be cretins
Abusive customers

This company is successful for one reason and one reason only, because it rags its staff. I could not in good conscience even recommend my worst enemy to work at this company. All this business about training to be a manager is a big load of BS. This place was so bad that I couldn't physically finish my notice period - it was making me ill. I left ERAC for a 37.5 working week, a £7000 base pay rise and the opportunity to work for a boss that is actually a very smart guy.

Advice to Senior ManagementWouldn't know where to start.

Great experience...long hours!

Area Rental Manager (Former Employee)
Bath, England

I worked at Enterprise Rent-A-Car full-time for more than 5 years

ProsOpportunities for advancement
Great coworkers
Discounted car rental rates

ConsLong hours
Stressful when understaffed
Expected to go above and beyond for service even if it means staying late after work

HR Intern

Human Resources Intern (Former Employee)
Egham, England

I worked at Enterprise Rent-A-Car as an intern for less than a year

ProsThe group I was employed with were very easy to get along with and quite helpful. I was given ample amounts of responsibility from the get-go and was included on many important projects. The culture at ERAC really embraced innovation, and I felt that the management was receptive to new ideas.

ConsI was often times not given specific deadlines to know when to have projects completed.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep being open to innovation, and ensure specific deadlines for projects are properly communicated.

13 year career in 2 countries

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
Birmingham, England

I worked at Enterprise Rent-A-Car full-time for more than 10 years

ProsGreat people overall
Promoted and paid based off performance
Very good career advancement if you can make it past first 12 to 18 months
Extremely stable company with very strong senior leadership
Learn valuable skills s
Like leadership, sales, negotiation, and top notch customer service

ConsLong hours
Starting salary well below average
High turnover of employees with only half of all starters staying after first year

Advice to Senior ManagementPay higher starting salary and retain more talent
You seem to think 56% Management Trainee retention is good but it is not.

Worked for Enterprise Rent-A-Car? Contribute to the Community!

Enterprise Rent-A-Car Videos

Enterprise Rent-A-Car – Why Work for Us?

This is where it all starts. When you join us at Enterprise Rent-A-Car, you'll be part of an industry leader with a rich history. The Enterprise Rent-A-Car brand is owned by St. Louis based Enterprise Holdings, a… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Enterprise Rent-A-Car reviews and ratings - including employee satisfaction and approval ratings for Enterprise Rent-A-Car CEO Pamela M. (Pam) Nicholson. All 2,472 reviews are posted anonymously by Enterprise Rent-A-Car employees.