Enterprise Rent-A-Car

3.1
3,184 Reviews

Enterprise Rent-A-Car President and CEO Pamela M. (Pam) Nicholson
Pamela M. (Pam) Nicholson

Pros
  • Company stays true to their values; customer service really is their way of life (in 249 reviews)

• met a lot of great people who I are my friends that I met at enterprise (in 176 reviews)

Cons
  • No work life balance ( 7 am - 6 pm everyday without any ability to work around) (in 525 reviews)

• you will be working many long hours with not much opportunities to take time off (in 923 reviews)

More Highlights

Management Trainee

Current Employee - Management Trainee Intern in Southend-on-Sea, England
    Current Employee - Management Trainee Intern in Southend-on-Sea, England

I have been working at Enterprise Rent-A-Car full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Everyone that works for the company are young, so it is like working with your mates. The training never stops you are constantly learning something new everyday, and the job is definitely not boring! In my internship i have not just learnt management skills, but also built on my marketing skills, taking corporate accounts out to lunch and meet new accounts who want to be set up with us! This job is an all rounder for your future career, you can literally go anywhere within the company as you progress!

Cons

The hours is the worst part to the job, you work minimum 10hrs a day. I start at 7:45am finishing at 7pm on average every night and have one 30minute lunch break everyday. I then i have to work every other saturday from 8:30am till 1pm.

The hours that employees put in should be reflected with the pay they receive. The pay needs to increased, MT's and MA's work so hard but their pay just doesn't reflect that.

Not a great company to work for

Former Employee - Database Administrator in Egham, England
    Former Employee - Database Administrator in Egham, England

I worked at Enterprise Rent-A-Car full-time (more than an year)

Pros

For me it was location, the office in Egham is close to home.

Cons

The conservative culture, long-hours and cost sensitive approach to investing in employees. I didn't receive a day's training throughout my entire time at Enterprise. I had to wear a suit in the administrative office even though we never saw customers or had visitors. 40-hour week, no flexibility on start times. Most of the work-benefits you don't actually receive until you've worked for some time (up to 2.5 years for pension contribution).

Learn to treat employees as your best asset instead of just a cost to your profit margin.

Work hard and you'll get you might get luck

Former Employee - Branch Manager in London, England
    Former Employee - Branch Manager in London, England

I worked at Enterprise Rent-A-Car full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Fun place to work. If you fit the mould you can do well

Cons

10 hour shift is more then the standard industry. Plus expect over time.

Cynical exploitation bordering on abuse

Current Employee - Trainee Manager
    Current Employee - Trainee Manager

I have been working at Enterprise Rent-A-Car full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Because they seek out graduates for their so called 'Trainee' programme, staff are generally bright, enthusiastic and hardworking. This leads to good team spirit and banter.

Cons

Enthusiasm evaporates and gives way to exhaustion and a sense hopelessness. Employees discover that have been seduced and recruited into a cynical, heartless organisation that simply wants to use and abuse employees until they can take no more and leave. They are immediately replaced by more naive trainees, straight from their induction course.

New trainees are like the young, eager recruits desperate to sign up to fight for God and Country only to find themselves trapped in a world they could never have conceived. No time off to attend interviews, no time to apply and prep anyway. No time for family and friends, just a constantly revolving treadmill. And when you do finally close your hopelessly incomplete training manual that nobody has the time or inclination to help you complete anyway, you can expect no thanks and recognition of your extraordinary effort, because Enterprise have a policy of not providing references.

Truck drivers have a tachometer to ensure that they don't drive for more than 8 hours a day because it is recognised that it is dangerous for the driver, the public and other road users to operate a vehicle whilst tired. No such concerns here. But don't worry, Enterprise do have a policy of making employees pay for damage out of their own pockets if they crash too often.

Graduates should steer well clear and use their hard earned degrees to pursue decent careers with honorable organisations. If not, make sure you rewrite your CV before you start because you will be too tired & have no time to do so when you are there. But then you may want to work all hours at less than the minimum hourly rate (taken as an average)

You should be ashamed

A good job for those who like networking.

Former Employee - Branch Rental Manager in Birmingham, England
    Former Employee - Branch Rental Manager in Birmingham, England

I worked at Enterprise Rent-A-Car full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good training.
    Varied work.
    Good career prospects.

Cons

Too much micro management.
    Very long hours.
    A lot of corporate butt kissing

Support your managers more by allowing them greater flexibility over their branches.

Great Starting Job Fresh Out Of Uni

Current Employee - Management Trainee in Birmingham, England
    Current Employee - Management Trainee in Birmingham, England

I have been working at Enterprise Rent-A-Car full-time (more than an year)

Pros

You meet some great people. Loads of incentives to work harder. Bonus each time you pass a skills test and with each promotion.

Cons

The hours. You work a ridiculous amount of hours on average about 55 - 60 hours a week it not more on some occasions. When certain employees reach a level of power it affects their personnel skills, therefore ruining the dynamic of the branch. Development is claimed to be key but can sometimes be pushed to the side for the sake of getting cars out.

Maybe hire more drivers in busier branches to ensure employee development and less employee accidents.

An insight of working life , but not for the faint hearted!

Former Employee - Trainee Manager in Uxbridge, England
    Former Employee - Trainee Manager in Uxbridge, England

I worked at Enterprise Rent-A-Car full-time (less than an year)

Pros

A good starting point to get a taste of working life.
    Learn how to use your own Initiative.
    If you stick around long enough, you effectively learn how to run a business.

Cons

Micro Management
    Long hours
    Have to work weekends occasionally
    Cleaning cars

Increase salary
    Less micro management

Great in terms of experience. However, hard work, long hours and substandard pay for responsibility.

Current Employee - Management Trainee in Belfast, Northern Ireland
    Current Employee - Management Trainee in Belfast, Northern Ireland

I have been working at Enterprise Rent-A-Car full-time (less than an year)

Pros

It really does give you the tools to be your own boss. Within your branch, you are involved in all aspects of the company. You will gain experience in areas such as customer service and sales primarily. Then from this will stem many other aspects such as gaining new corporate accounts, to chasing up accounts receivable from companies who owe money.

Cons

50 hour weeks can take their toll at the start especially. You do get used to it but its still not great in facilitating a reasonable work-life balance. In some busy home city locations you can end up working sometimes up to 20 hours a month more than this.
    Pay is not reflective of work, however if you are a hungry graduate, the experience you will gain in even a year will more than make up for this.
    Managers can be hit or miss. A lot can depend on what the people above you in your branch are like. Some can be great and facilitative of their employees, allowing you to really flourish in your own way. Others can be domineering and seek to have everything done their way, which can bring you down at times. However if you are keen on being a manager in the future all of these experiences will help you to know what managerial traits you want to have in the future.

Create your procedures in branch and make sure everyone is aware of these. Then take a step back and let staff adapt to these in their own way. Of course guidance may be required at times, however hounding staff constantly is terrible for morale and promoting what is supposed to be a ''team'' atmosphere of future leaders. This ''leadership'' trait must be developed from day 1.. an overly dominant manager is not doing their bit to help bring this out in their staff.

Work hard and wear you out.

I have been working at Enterprise Rent-A-Car full-time

Pros

Gain valuable work experience, promotion is available for those who want it.

Cons

work you to the bone. prepare to work long hours and come in early and finish late. not enough time for lunch, usually eat as-you-go. never recognise hard work only when you do something wrong.

be more considerate to your staff and they'll do things a lot quicker for you

Long, difficult hours but great if you are a people person

Former Employee - Management Trainee Intern in Gatwick, England
    Former Employee - Management Trainee Intern in Gatwick, England

I worked at Enterprise Rent-A-Car as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

My team was really friendly and the level of customer contact was continuous, meaning that it is a sociable atmosphere and there is always someone new to interact with. The incentives for selling more than your target amount were really good, and frequent! Lots of useful training and I believe there are many opportunities ofr progression.

Cons

Very long hours and hard, tiring work. I was based at a busy airport location, so the shift work was unsociable (6am-4pm or 1pm-11pm). The team wasn't very large so sometimes I would be running the quieter of our two terminal offices on my own for long periods of time - not really allowed to leave the desk unattended.

Enterprise Rent-A-Car Photos