Enterprise Rent-A-Car

3.2
3,036 Reviews

Enterprise Rent-A-Car President and CEO Pamela M. (Pam) Nicholson
Pamela M. (Pam) Nicholson

Pros
  • Company stays true to their values; customer service really is their way of life (in 241 reviews)

• met a lot of great people who I are my friends that I met at enterprise (in 169 reviews)

Cons
  • No work life balance ( 7 am - 6 pm everyday without any ability to work around) (in 478 reviews)

• you will be working many long hours with not much opportunities to take time off (in 877 reviews)

More Highlights

Management Trainee

Current Employee - Management Trainee Intern in Southend-on-Sea, England
    Current Employee - Management Trainee Intern in Southend-on-Sea, England

I have been working at Enterprise Rent-A-Car full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Everyone that works for the company are young, so it is like working with your mates. The training never stops you are constantly learning something new everyday, and the job is definitely not boring! In my internship i have not just learnt management skills, but also built on my marketing skills, taking corporate accounts out to lunch and meet new accounts who want to be set up with us! This job is an all rounder for your future career, you can literally go anywhere within the company as you progress!

Cons

The hours is the worst part to the job, you work minimum 10hrs a day. I start at 7:45am finishing at 7pm on average every night and have one 30minute lunch break everyday. I then i have to work every other saturday from 8:30am till 1pm.

The hours that employees put in should be reflected with the pay they receive. The pay needs to increased, MT's and MA's work so hard but their pay just doesn't reflect that.

A good job for those who like networking.

Former Employee - Branch Rental Manager in Birmingham, England
    Former Employee - Branch Rental Manager in Birmingham, England

I worked at Enterprise Rent-A-Car full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good training.
    Varied work.
    Good career prospects.

Cons

Too much micro management.
    Very long hours.
    A lot of corporate butt kissing

Support your managers more by allowing them greater flexibility over their branches.

Great Starting Job Fresh Out Of Uni

Current Employee - Management Trainee in Birmingham, England
    Current Employee - Management Trainee in Birmingham, England

I have been working at Enterprise Rent-A-Car full-time (more than an year)

Pros

You meet some great people. Loads of incentives to work harder. Bonus each time you pass a skills test and with each promotion.

Cons

The hours. You work a ridiculous amount of hours on average about 55 - 60 hours a week it not more on some occasions. When certain employees reach a level of power it affects their personnel skills, therefore ruining the dynamic of the branch. Development is claimed to be key but can sometimes be pushed to the side for the sake of getting cars out.

Maybe hire more drivers in busier branches to ensure employee development and less employee accidents.

An insight of working life , but not for the faint hearted!

Former Employee - Trainee Manager in Uxbridge, England
    Former Employee - Trainee Manager in Uxbridge, England

I worked at Enterprise Rent-A-Car full-time (less than an year)

Pros

A good starting point to get a taste of working life.
    Learn how to use your own Initiative.
    If you stick around long enough, you effectively learn how to run a business.

Cons

Micro Management
    Long hours
    Have to work weekends occasionally
    Cleaning cars

Increase salary
    Less micro management

Great in terms of experience. However, hard work, long hours and substandard pay for responsibility.

Current Employee - Management Trainee in Belfast, Northern Ireland
    Current Employee - Management Trainee in Belfast, Northern Ireland

I have been working at Enterprise Rent-A-Car full-time (less than an year)

Pros

It really does give you the tools to be your own boss. Within your branch, you are involved in all aspects of the company. You will gain experience in areas such as customer service and sales primarily. Then from this will stem many other aspects such as gaining new corporate accounts, to chasing up accounts receivable from companies who owe money.

Cons

50 hour weeks can take their toll at the start especially. You do get used to it but its still not great in facilitating a reasonable work-life balance. In some busy home city locations you can end up working sometimes up to 20 hours a month more than this.
    Pay is not reflective of work, however if you are a hungry graduate, the experience you will gain in even a year will more than make up for this.
    Managers can be hit or miss. A lot can depend on what the people above you in your branch are like. Some can be great and facilitative of their employees, allowing you to really flourish in your own way. Others can be domineering and seek to have everything done their way, which can bring you down at times. However if you are keen on being a manager in the future all of these experiences will help you to know what managerial traits you want to have in the future.

Create your procedures in branch and make sure everyone is aware of these. Then take a step back and let staff adapt to these in their own way. Of course guidance may be required at times, however hounding staff constantly is terrible for morale and promoting what is supposed to be a ''team'' atmosphere of future leaders. This ''leadership'' trait must be developed from day 1.. an overly dominant manager is not doing their bit to help bring this out in their staff.

Work hard and wear you out.

I have been working at Enterprise Rent-A-Car full-time

Pros

Gain valuable work experience, promotion is available for those who want it.

Cons

work you to the bone. prepare to work long hours and come in early and finish late. not enough time for lunch, usually eat as-you-go. never recognise hard work only when you do something wrong.

be more considerate to your staff and they'll do things a lot quicker for you

Long, difficult hours but great if you are a people person

Former Employee - Management Trainee Intern in Gatwick, England
    Former Employee - Management Trainee Intern in Gatwick, England

I worked at Enterprise Rent-A-Car as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

My team was really friendly and the level of customer contact was continuous, meaning that it is a sociable atmosphere and there is always someone new to interact with. The incentives for selling more than your target amount were really good, and frequent! Lots of useful training and I believe there are many opportunities ofr progression.

Cons

Very long hours and hard, tiring work. I was based at a busy airport location, so the shift work was unsociable (6am-4pm or 1pm-11pm). The team wasn't very large so sometimes I would be running the quieter of our two terminal offices on my own for long periods of time - not really allowed to leave the desk unattended.

Pure greed from above - worst decision I've made about my career after University.

Current Employee - Trainee Management in Sheffield, England
    Current Employee - Trainee Management in Sheffield, England

I have been working at Enterprise Rent-A-Car full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Young staff
    Occasional lunch out
    Get to drive some nice cars

Cons

Very greedy management, assistant and branch managers are paid a percentage of the branch profit each month. Therefore they keep staffing levels extremely low for their own gain, meaning everyone has to work overtime which is why they make you sign out of the European work directive. The position explains that you have to do 50 hours a week, and a normal working week is 8am-6pm with half day Saturdays every other week (which isn't too bad!). However the reality is you WILL be working 7.30am - 6.30pm on average every day, I have personally had to work from 7.30am to 10pm with a 20 minute break. When I refused to work later than this time I was disciplined and considered not to be a team player. If you have a family or social life this will be affected, the people that succeed and get promoted have nothing else except work and are happy to work whatever hours. You are told you will be paid overtime (minimum wage per hour), however management have the final say over time sheets, I have seen time sheets been altered to increase their bonus.

The position is advertised as a trainee manager, however every member of office staff is a trainee manager and have to do every job (expect to clean 4-8 cars a day) and drive a lot (4-6 hours a day), I once spent a whole day driving and was not given a break. It's like going into tescos, telling everyone they're a trainee manager but have to do everything. Don't expect to do corporate visits/marketing/real business like they advertise - this does not happen!

The job is primarily a sales position with very unrealistic targets (40% of customers to take add-ons), and the only way to get promoted is through hitting these targets - or you'll never be able to get to an assistant manager/ branch manager level. Miss-selling is promoted and encouraged, particularly desperate customers who really need a car - expect to pay a premium rate with add-ons included without your knowledge!

The pay is below minimum wage when you factor in the average amount of work you put in (54 hours a week, £17,500 salary ~ £6.23 an hour). Area managers are very good at talking a 'good game' making you feel like you'll be at their level in no time and how good the job really is. In reality without hitting sales targets, working 55+ hours a week and sucking up to management this will never happen. If you're prepared to work all hours and give up friends and family for work and money (albeit not that great money!) then enterprise is for you - otherwise I'd stay well away.

For reference the pay schemes are as follows:

Trainee Manager £17,5000
    Management Trainee £18,500
    Assistant manager £20,000 (very small percentage of branch profit)
    Branch manage £20,000 (small percentage of branch profit, around 0.5%, about £600 per month)

If a branch regresses in profit the percentages paid to management levels are taken away the next month meaning they can be paid less than a TM! Perhaps this is one reason you are ridiculously overworked and understaffed.

See above. Not that it will matter, Enterprise turnover £18bn a year. They have a worse retention rate of staff than McDonalds, they expect most people to quit.

The Straw which broke the Camels back

Former Employee - Management Trainee in Derby, England
    Former Employee - Management Trainee in Derby, England

I worked at Enterprise Rent-A-Car full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Management Trainee's in the same position as you and you get to drive some pretty decent cars. The days fly by because you are so busy

Cons

The hours and pay is barely legal. 60-70 Hour weeks for minimum wage and 30 hour lunch breaks. Overtime is simply expected of you. Impossible to book time off work because of so many loopholes. Constantly rushed off of your feet so no time to complete training manual. As a Management Trainee you get levied with the worst jobs. You will clean as many cars as you will serve customers. You work really hard for so so many hours, and still your work never feels appreciated

The Management Trainees are the building blocks and the most important part of the Business. Reward them. Do not try and justify long hours with 'you will progress faster' - Don't insult us. Don't claim to be promoting managers, when all you do is promote dodgy salesmen! Pay a commission structure

DULL

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Aldershot, England
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Aldershot, England

I worked at Enterprise Rent-A-Car full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Meet some great people, dull working environment, building from the 60s!

Cons

Over worked
    Underpaid
    under valued
    no time to self progress, although this is encouraged.
    childish team leaders
    one rule for one, another for someone else.
    feels like a military academy
    not allowed tattoos on show
    can't wear skirts above knees
    guys can't have any stubble
    lack of staff
    nobody sings from the same page
    things change, nothing gets filtered.
    poor holidays

Give your teams more encouragement, stop breathing down their necks. Match salaries with local companies. COMMUNICATE WITH ONE ANOTHER.

Enterprise Rent-A-Car Photos