Enterprise Rent-A-Car

3.2
3,361 Reviews

Enterprise Rent-A-Car President and CEO Pamela M. (Pam) Nicholson
Pamela M. (Pam) Nicholson

Pros
  • Company stays true to their values; customer service really is their way of life (in 249 reviews)

• met a lot of great people who I are my friends that I met at enterprise (in 176 reviews)

Cons
  • No work life balance ( 7 am - 6 pm everyday without any ability to work around) (in 525 reviews)

• you will be working many long hours with not much opportunities to take time off (in 923 reviews)

More Highlights

s

Current Employee - Management Trainee in Brighton, England
    Current Employee - Management Trainee in Brighton, England

I have been working at Enterprise Rent-A-Car

Pros

opportunities, car, training, time off

Cons

hours work life balance etc

s

Good experience

Current Employee - Management Trainee
    Current Employee - Management Trainee

I have been working at Enterprise Rent-A-Car

Pros

Lots of opportunities abroad, particularly Spain so good if you speak Spanish. Excellent opportunity to get an insight into business.

Cons

I haven't yet finished the recruitment process so can't comment

Enjoyed!

Former Employee - Management Trainee in London, England

I worked at Enterprise Rent-A-Car part-time (less than an year)

Pros

salary wasn't too bad, my coworkers were great, training available, and opportunities for promotions,dress attire not too bad,

Cons

the jobs was stressful having to always come up with excuses for why cars are running late or not available.

Good company to work for,

I worked at Enterprise Rent-A-Car

Pros

Lots of opportunities for promotion, a good team environment and experience in lots of different business areas

Cons

Very long hours for low pay, for traniees there's lots of driving, the branch could become a stressed environment due to the high work load

Career

Current Employee - Branch Manager in Winchester, England
    Current Employee - Branch Manager in Winchester, England

I have been working at Enterprise Rent-A-Car full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Clear Career path
    Good Management team
    Growing company

Cons

Long hours,
    not enough time and staffing levels to sufficiently train staff

Excellent, Progressive, Fun and Engaging

Current Employee - Management Assistant in Luton, East of England, England
    Current Employee - Management Assistant in Luton, East of England, England

I have been working at Enterprise Rent-A-Car full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Fantastic teams, excellent brand culture, great career progression for graduates and driving around the latest premium and not so premium cars.

Cons

Long Hours, Intense Internal Competition.

Not the graduate scheme it makes out to be

I worked at Enterprise Rent-A-Car full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Drive some nice cars, work with people your own age and with a similar outlook

Cons

LONG hours, 50 is a minimum, reality is 60 to 70. Break that down on your salary of 17,500 and you'd be better off in a call centre. Questionable sales ethics. If you can't sell you WONT be promoted, yet there is more to management than sales. Typical day is washing, driving and selling expensive insurance. Little management to be done or learn.

There is more to management than sales. Better pay/less hours would also help your terrible retention rates.

Everything it says on the tin!

I worked at Enterprise Rent-A-Car full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I very happily worked for Enterprise for several years learning all aspects of the business. I was able to go out marketing to my accounts, took my MQI and promoted to Assistant Manager in under a year.

Hours - Yes it was long hours, but that time was used to learn how the business works as well as being there for my customers. On the flip side, I also found my managers to very supportive if I needed flexibility in my work day. All you have to do is ask.

Driving - Did I drive a lot - of course I did! But I got to drive a lot of different cars and spend a lot of time with my customers driving them back to the office. This helped our customer service numbers as well as sales.

Pay - Of course I wasn't happy making the starting salary, but that's why I got myself promoted in under a year! I wanted a piece of the pie and when I was promoted to Assistant Manager and beyond, I felt I was rewarded for my hardwork. If you're not happy with your pay at Enterprise, then do something about it - find ways to out perform yourself from last month and stop moaning about it!

I've read a lot of negative reviews on here about everything I mentioned above. There is a method to it - it's called on the job training. You have to learn to walk before you can run. I won't lie, it is hard work, it is long hours, but it's also about learning how to run your own business. If your name was above the door, wouldn't you do everything you could to ensure its success?

I hope this has helped you make up your own mind. You may be wondering why I left if I speak so highly of Enterprise. I left due to personal circumstances beyond my control. But I believe and will always believe in what Enterprise stands for.

Cons

Like I said, if you don't want to put the hard work in, then this isn't the place for you.

Fun internship but not as expected

Former Employee - Management Trainee

I worked at Enterprise Rent-A-Car as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Lots of young people vibrant working environment

Fun experience driving multiple cars

Cons

60/70 working hours a week + overtime was an expectation not a choice

lunch break (15mins) were a luxury

had to wash cars in expensive work wear as they expect very top quality clothing especially coats! (had to felt which doesn't work out very well in rainy England)

HR were not as clear as they could be on the hours. they told me 55 hours is the expectation

Company is not interested in training workforce with professional qualifications or allowing educational progression such as masters

Had to fight for weekly 1 day off, management would regularly "accidentally" split it into two half days which was not manageable for my personal life commitments (little care given for that)

When I started in my first week branch manager changed my working hours from 7-7 to 8-6 to pay me 2 hours less daily, until I told him I noticed.

Regularly try to undercut your hours, so if you work until 7:45 your hours are adjusted to 7:30

be more honest
    senior management extremely rude about work wear
    provide a uniform to staff at least a coat

No job fit for an 'enterprising' Graduate...

Former Employee - Management Trainee in London, England

I worked at Enterprise Rent-A-Car (more than an year)

Pros

- People: The company is divided up into smaller, local branches often operating with very small teams (as small as 2). If you get on with your team you can make some good friends, which will help your day go a lot quicker. Offices are mostly made up of recent graduates or interns so the work force on the front lines in the rental offices is very youthful. If you're a bit older then you may or may not feel comfortable with this.

Cons

* 'So what do you do, exactly?' ----- Not a traditional 'job' as most would think. There is no paperwork, there are no ongoing projects or deadlines to meet. Nor are there any business meetings or client presentations. No boardroom warriors to deal with. In the rental office you exist to serve one purpose: drive. Whether you're collecting them from far flung addresses, picking customers up or maybe driving them home, you'll become very familiar with cars. After long hours working during the week, plus copious amounts of overtime, the novelty quickly wears off. Many offices simply seem to operate a revolving door policy whereby employees collect customers, complete the transaction, check them into cars...and go straight back out and do it all again. Rinse and repeat 20+ times a day and this is essentially the role of a 'Management Trainee' in a nutshell. Outside of this there is a small amount of data entry work which essentially involves answering phones and making reservations for customers.

* Pay/Compensation ----- Enterprise likens the compensation package on offer to graduates, or 'Management Trainees', to other competitive graduate schemes. The rather basic salary in fact starts off around 25-30% lower than most respectable graduate roles at companies of a similar size. Upon completion of the graduate scheme, and passing the necessary managerial tests, this salary increases by an extra.£1k. Great. The hardest workers are also the most underpaid. Branch Managers and Assistant Managers, who sit in the office all day sending naive trainees out to collect or deliver cars, have their pay linked to the bottom line of the branch: the more it makes, the more they make. Meanwhile, the workers responsible for dealing with customers and making that money through transactions and insurance sales, are paid peanuts for a wage whilst simultaneously feathering the nests of their managers.

* Long Hours ----- Can be where your relationship with your colleagues comes in handy. On top of a long working week, overtime is expected, incredibly common and arguably part of company culture. Seldomly does an office close on time; rather employees are expected to work until as late as is necessary to get everything done, ready to hit the reset button and do it all again tomorrow. Worryingly, it is not uncommon for employees to be found working until late into the evening to clear the branch's books. Employees are barely given enough time to eat during the day. The standard break is 30 minutes and a classic tactic during busy days is the notorious 'dine & drive': eat your lunch on the go in the passenger seat of the car your colleague is driving. Fine dining. Most branches are chronically understaffed and employees are overworked and underpaid. Branches barely get through the day due to an overwhelming demand, leaving very little room for employee training and development.

* Work Structure ----- Not being a 'traditional' job, it goes without saying you don't have a case load or portfolio of work to look after. Instead, you are tied to the collective business of the branch; it's up to the employees at the branch to clear its deals and books before the end of the day otherwise prepare to work late. If it's past closing time and you still need to deliver cars to 'X' and 'Y' and collect a customer from 'Z', then...too bad. This 'collective responsibility' means employees who don't pull their weight can quickly become a frustrating burden, whilst more diligent employees can fail to stand out and receive the merit their hard work deserves.

* Corporate Culture ----- Customers are very important at Enterprise. So important it seems to warrant (compulsory) 'customer service meetings' at various hotel function rooms at all too common intervals - usually conveniently right after working hours & during the evening. Add in incessant emails about said customers and service provided by random employees from unknown, faceless higher-ups and various HR drones and you have all the ingredients for a bit of a weird cult mentality; a mentality drilled into employees in an attempt to mould and integrate them into its well-oiled customer service machine. There is also a high emphasis on sales and figures. If your sales figures aren't up to scratch prepare for an earful off your manager.

*'This isn't a Meritocracy!' ----- Enterprise is a bit strange. It's a big company but it's also small due to the way it is broken down into hundreds of smaller rental branches. These branches are organised into 'Areas' of maybe 5-10 (guesstimate) branches and everyone pretty much knows the scoop on everyone in their area. If you have your eye on a promotion in your area and you're a bit quiet and not the most popular, or someone is a friend of the manager who suddenly needs a new assistant, then you're out of luck. The fact you're given no real work, and no real responsibilities or opportunities to shine means that when an interview does comes around hiring managers are left with a mess; a huge pile of similar candidates with the exact same skills and experience (or lack of) and managers simply lump for the easier 'friend' option or, even worse, take a punt on who they think might be a good fit based on no tangible evidence whatsoever.

* Physically Demanding ----- You'll be on your feet for anywhere between 10-12+ hours a day. 5 days a week. It hurts. A lot at first. At some branches during busy days employees are (unofficially) expected to have to physically wash and clean dirty cars for waiting customers. Although the company does employ a team of valets to do this it's not uncommon for them to be utilised for other purposes on busy days, leaving Trainee's to wash and clean said cars in their freshly minted suits.

Give employees more responsibility outside of driving cars all day.

Enterprise Rent-A-Car Photos