Enterprise Rent-A-Car

3.2
2,899 Reviews

Enterprise Rent-A-Car President and CEO Pamela M. (Pam) Nicholson
Pamela M. (Pam) Nicholson

Pros
  • Company values hands-on sales people who are wiling to provide exceptional customer service (in 224 reviews)

• met a lot of great people who I are my friends that I met at enterprise (in 159 reviews)

Cons
  • No work life balance ( 7 am - 6 pm everyday without any ability to work around) (in 416 reviews)

• If you were to work full time its long hours (730-6) but you never get out at 6 (in 809 reviews)

More Highlights

Management Trainee

Current Employee - Management Trainee Intern  in  Southend-on-Sea, England
    Current Employee - Management Trainee Intern in Southend-on-Sea, England

I have been working at Enterprise Rent-A-Car full-time for less than a year

Pros

Everyone that works for the company are young, so it is like working with your mates. The training never stops you are constantly learning something new everyday, and the job is definitely not boring! In my internship i have not just learnt management skills, but also built on my marketing skills, taking corporate accounts out to lunch and meet new accounts who want to be set up with us! This job is an all rounder for your future career, you can literally go anywhere within the company as you progress!

Cons

The hours is the worst part to the job, you work minimum 10hrs a day. I start at 7:45am finishing at 7pm on average every night and have one 30minute lunch break everyday. I then i have to work every other saturday from 8:30am till 1pm.

The hours that employees put in should be reflected with the pay they receive. The pay needs to increased, MT's and MA's work so hard but their pay just doesn't reflect that.

Great Experience, great people. Unrealistic working hours!

Current Employee - Graduate Management Trainee  in  Ayr, Scotland
    Current Employee - Graduate Management Trainee in Ayr, Scotland

I have been working at Enterprise Rent-A-Car full-time for less than a year

Pros

Great atmosphere in branch, majority of colleagues worked with very supportive and easy to get along with.
    Potential to progress quickly in company if willing to work long hours and sacrifice social life, must be good at sales and customer service,
    Get to drive nice cars - range rovers, jaguars ect.

Cons

Very long working hours - contracted 50 hours but generally working at least 60, overtime unpaid.
    Poor starting wage - particularly when considering working hours.
    Driving cars virtually all day which increases chances of having a bump - if you do you are then docked £300.

Potential to be a great career if working hours are more realistic. Give employees a bit more back for all the hard work they put in, better starting wage and company vehicle for managers.

don't do this job unless your on a gap year

Former Employee - Management Assistant  in  London, England
    Former Employee - Management Assistant in London, England

I worked at Enterprise Rent-A-Car as a contractor for more than 3 years

Pros

you drive nice cars that was the only good thing

Cons

you will come to work not knowing when you will finish!
    you are just about to go home at say around 6:00pm a cust will call and say ' I am running late by 30 mins' a normal company would say too bad you will have to return tomorrow but at enterprise you will have to stay behind until the cust arrives (you do not get paid for staying) funny thing is they lie and say 30mins in actual fact its an hour or more
    you have managers that came fresh out of uni, previous experience at bars and clubs so that means they don't understand employee development and regulations!
    most likely you will have to have lunch while your on the go!
    majority of the people you work with are loners, the only friends they have is work freinds
    they probably come from Manchester southampton Peterborough down to London to work and live so they don't mind staying behind until 9pm. where as I was London based so I have family and friends and I wanted structure to my day. hence I always wanted leave work on time.
    you are about to go home say at 6pm, a customer will pull into the car park as your working out, so you cant neglect them, so then you start walking round the car for damages and you realise they damaged the car. you will then have to go back inside the office log onto the computer that you switched off, meanwhile the customers arguing he didn't cause the damage!! basically by the time you finish dealing with this bad driver it will be 7:30pm, you will not get paid for staying out of hours!!
    70% of the time I use to clean cars in my suit and deliver cars!!
    your basically a posh car cleaner with enterprise
    this job is ok if your 19 or something and on gap year, but if you want progression stay out of this company reach
    I was 22 when I use to work for them and its most deffo the worst job ever, the pay Is ridiculously poor.
    put it this way when I worked for them my mate use to work in waitrose 30 hours but somehow got the same pay as me when I use to work 60 hours a week!!
    best believe you will work your contracted hours which is 50, but I was there for 3 years and I swear I never worked less than 60 hours a week. it was horrible.

no point advising because enterprise do not care, they turn over 18 BILLION POUNDS a year, why would they want my advice? they will continue to engage in modern day slavery!! I was there because I needed the money now I work less hours for another company with more pay and regulations.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Extremely long hours and stressful work.

Current Employee - Management Trainee  in  Belfast, Northern Ireland
    Current Employee - Management Trainee in Belfast, Northern Ireland

I have been working at Enterprise Rent-A-Car full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great experience in customer service, logistics management and sales. All of the above a are required and tested when working for enterprise.

Cons

Very long hours will be required to work 50+ hours a week. Salary increases are not great until a few rungs up the ladder. Also will be required to move branch every 6 months so don't get too settled.

Increase salary options and better overtime pay conditions. Also ensuring infrastructure is in place as this has led to struggles at the branch I'm currently working at.

Sporadic and hypocritical.

I worked at Enterprise Rent-A-Car

Pros

- 99% of staff are friendly honest people
    - Driving decent cars
    - Strong company to list on a CV
    - Training can be helpful and teach you SOME skills that can be utilised outside ERAC

Cons

- Ridiculous hours. Especially if there is a late shift at your branch; I once worked from 11:00 am - 2:30 am and then had to be in the following day for 8:00 am. Minimum of 50 hours a week.
    - Senior management are obsessed with sales. If you're unable to sell, don't expect to progress very quickly here.
    - Hypocrisy from senior management; sometimes customer needs are neglected to ensure that the day runs smoothly when customer service is drilled Into employees from day one.
    - Expect some very angry customers if you ever have to try and take a £700 excess....

Hours need to be shortened and fixed, rather than being on a adhoc basis.

Treading water

Current Employee - Manager  in  Egham, England
    Current Employee - Manager in Egham, England

I have been working at Enterprise Rent-A-Car full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Easy, no pressure or urgency. Very much determine your own pace and destiny. Get what you out of it and move on.

Cons

No clear direction, weak self opinionated management that wont take a hint.
    Management have been there for life and have no real world experience.

Get a life, the enterprise way is not the right way.

Different to what I was expecting but a good overall experience

Former Employee - Management Trainee Intern
    Former Employee - Management Trainee Intern

I worked at Enterprise Rent-A-Car as an intern for less than a year

Pros

Not a highly pressurised environment - managers are friendly and often a good atmosphere in the office. Everyone is willing to help out if you have questions, and I never felt scared to ask.

Cons

A lot of driving around which can be stressful. Sometimes your skills aren't necessarily utilised because of this, and you don't get as much time learning about key business/management functions.

Have more detailed on the job training - sessions with your store manager where they explain about the different things that they do day to day.

Fast paced, Always on your feet decision making

Current Employee - Branch Manager
    Current Employee - Branch Manager

I have been working at Enterprise Rent-A-Car full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

You manage yourself and have the opportunity to learn anything and everything at your own pace.

Cons

Bottlenecks at the Branch Manager level.

Ridiculous

Current Employee - Management Trainee
    Current Employee - Management Trainee

I have been working at Enterprise Rent-A-Car full-time

Pros

-Opportunities of advancement
    -Good to have ERAC on CV
    -Different locations for easier access
    -Allows following passion if you can do the time

Cons

-Very long hours, doesn't allow you you to have a social life
    -Not easy but worth it in the long run.

Sort out HR - It's a shambles.

3rd World Pay, and Conditions to Boot!

Former Employee - Management Trainee  in  London, England
    Former Employee - Management Trainee in London, England

I worked at Enterprise Rent-A-Car full-time for more than a year

Pros

Job security - They have a huge gap merging for Assistant Managers and Branch Managers who have resigned. If your young, single, with no real responsibility in life, then you'll fit right in.

The Cars - You sometimes get to drive and deliver some really nice cars like BMW's or Jag's to customers homes.

Cons

Contracted 50 hour week (But more realistic 55-60hours) - You will be expected to stay late at the drop of a hat with no warning regardless of your plans. If you have a social life, wave it goodbye - ZERO work life balance, you will become a ghost to your nearest and dearest.

Extremely low pay - For the hours you work you'd be better off working at Mcdonald's on a 40hour week contract... FACT!

My honest advise to anyone considering this as a career (especially graduates) use your degree for something more worthy and work for another company in the city. You'll earn more, get bigger pay rises and still be able to see your friends at the weekend.

If I could say one honest thing to Jack Taylor and his family it would be - 'You promote the wrong people and wrong personalities to sustain a profitable company and business model'

Let's look at how... Currently the company promotes the person who can sell, sell, sell.
    That's great but, why only the best sellers? They need to be so much more and have the personality traits to suit the role. This is biggest reason for people leaving Enterprise. You see the same type of managers over and over and start to wonder where all good decent people went? Promoting purely one type of personality, means that you loss the mix within the company and breed a culture of 'saleman or quit'. Head office in America.. LISTEN UP! there is MORE TO A PERSON THAN SELLING!
    Don't encourage single mindedness in staff, reflect the diversity of people within the company. Promoting these salesmen, wideboy types is gonna cost you at least two to three resignations a month!
    Promoting people with inflated sense of ego, who spend there days, basking in reflective glory, convincing others of their grandeur are hardly role models to trainees.

Without real change soon there will be no skilled managers left to train the newly promoted. The pyramid scheme of promotions currently in place will soon collapse. The whole expansion plan in the UK is in serious trouble if you don't take these and all the other comments found here on board.

Worked for Enterprise Rent-A-Car? Contribute to the Community!