Enterprise Rent-A-Car

3.2
3,518 Reviews

Enterprise Rent-A-Car President and CEO Pamela M. (Pam) Nicholson
Pamela M. (Pam) Nicholson

Pros
  • Company stays true to their values; customer service really is their way of life (in 249 reviews)

• met a lot of great people who I are my friends that I met at enterprise (in 176 reviews)

Cons
  • No work life balance ( 7 am - 6 pm everyday without any ability to work around) (in 525 reviews)

• you will be working many long hours with not much opportunities to take time off (in 923 reviews)

More Highlights

Amazing company to work and start a career

Current Employee - Management in Edinburgh, Scotland
    Current Employee - Management in Edinburgh, Scotland

I have been working at Enterprise Rent-A-Car

Pros

Career progress is there if you work hard and perform. You will always know what you need to do to progress and get to the next level. As long as you perform and follow your training folder and ask for help you will see your self progressing very quickly in your career. This career is what you make of it so don't be put off by negative reviews. Enterprise has been an amazing career and still is.

Cons

Yes you have read reviews about the hours but the only difference between us and other companies is that you will work hard, yes, put in the hours but will see yourself progressing in a career as a result. Let's be realistic no matter career you go into you are going to work hard, you will put in the hours...why? because you want to make a name for yourself. Well you will do that with us but see yourself progressing in a career as a result.

An exercise in endurance

Former Employee - Branch Rental Manager in London, England
    Former Employee - Branch Rental Manager in London, England

I worked at Enterprise Rent-A-Car

Pros

- If you didn't have a work ethic before, you'll have one by the end or you won't last long.
    - I was there for 3+ years and finished as a successful branch manager, it opened doors for me in other companies.
    - There is plenty of room for career development within the company, IF you are willing to play the game

Cons

- I was working 65 hour weeks by the time I finished, despite their corporate drivel their business model doesn't care for work/life balance. It takes over your evenings and weekends and it's not uncommon to work 12-15 hour days. If you don't graft you will not progress.
    - The pay is terrible up until branch manager, considering the responsibility and work load expected of you.
    - All the training you receive is in-house and very specific to the company. Convincing other organizations that the training is relevant to them is tricky (from the view point of moving jobs)
    - Some of the KPI's are way out of your control, and depending on your regional policy, you could see deductions from your commission.
    - They try to operate an accountability and performance management culture, however that culture should go both ways, and you see very little praise and recognition. They use it mainly to push employees they see as weak or troublesome into quitting.

It's a problem that starts at a high level. They don't supply the top level managers with the tools and proper training to create a working environment that's pleasant to be in.

Immediate management can be supportive, but it's truly pot luck. If they are supportive and good at their job it's because of their personality traits rather than any training provided by the company.

Good experience

Current Employee - Management Trainee
    Current Employee - Management Trainee

I have been working at Enterprise Rent-A-Car

Pros

Lots of opportunities abroad, particularly Spain so good if you speak Spanish. Excellent opportunity to get an insight into business.

Cons

I haven't yet finished the recruitment process so can't comment

s

Current Employee - Management Trainee in Brighton, England
    Current Employee - Management Trainee in Brighton, England

I have been working at Enterprise Rent-A-Car

Pros

opportunities, car, training, time off

Cons

hours work life balance etc

s

Would I recommend it? Absolutely not.

Current Employee - Branch Rental Manager in London, England
    Current Employee - Branch Rental Manager in London, England

I have been working at Enterprise Rent-A-Car full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

-Variety.
    -It certainly will toughen you up.
    -I reached branch manager in 3 years.
    -Opens the door for other roles (externally), particularly within sales.
    -There are roles outside of rental that are more interesting and rewarding.

Cons

-The hours. On average I worked a minimum of 65 hours a week, even at branch manager level.
    -Always short staffed, hence the above.
    -Huge amounts of pressure. The "yes" mentality certainly helps grow the business but also puts you under huge pressure to meet you obligations. You are forced by senior management to take deals that you simply cannot source a vehicle for.
    -No time to train employees, which means they spend their time surviving rather than developing and learning.
    -Lack of support from senior management.
    -KPIs out of your control negatively impacting your pay.
    -Terrible base salaries.
    -You have to play the game to get ahead, this can mean trampling over peers who you regard as friends.
    -No work life balance. I've known people (branch managers) have to cancel their days off that they've had booked for months because a member of their team has gone "sick".
    -Too much stick, not enough carrot. KPIs and performance reviews can be used in a positive way, not just as a tool to get people to do more. Praise was rare.
    -Poor long term retention. It was a shame to watch the best people leave.
    -If someone leaves or moves out of rental they are deemed to have failed. A huge stigma.

-Focus on your work/life balance. It can make the difference between retaining your best people and losing them.
    -Support the branches. They are the people who drive the business, get cars on the road, greet the customers. Leaving them under pressure and short staffed negatively impacts their behaviour, and ultimately service.

Enjoyed!

Former Employee - Management Trainee in London, England
    Former Employee - Management Trainee in London, England

I worked at Enterprise Rent-A-Car part-time (less than a year)

Pros

salary wasn't too bad, my coworkers were great, training available, and opportunities for promotions,dress attire not too bad,

Cons

the jobs was stressful having to always come up with excuses for why cars are running late or not available.

Long Hours, Little pay and lack of Social Life

I have been working at Enterprise Rent-A-Car full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Learn How to manage your own business from day one
    Drive all kinds of cars

Cons

Learn on Your own #
    Training not adequate enough

Better Pay
    More Training

Good company to work for,

Former Employee - Management Trainee
    Former Employee - Management Trainee

I worked at Enterprise Rent-A-Car

Pros

Lots of opportunities for promotion, a good team environment and experience in lots of different business areas

Cons

Very long hours for low pay, for traniees there's lots of driving, the branch could become a stressed environment due to the high work load

Excellent, Progressive, Fun and Engaging

Current Employee - Management Assistant in Luton, East of England, England
    Current Employee - Management Assistant in Luton, East of England, England

I have been working at Enterprise Rent-A-Car full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Fantastic teams, excellent brand culture, great career progression for graduates and driving around the latest premium and not so premium cars.

Cons

Long Hours, Intense Internal Competition.

Not the graduate scheme it makes out to be

I worked at Enterprise Rent-A-Car full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Drive some nice cars, work with people your own age and with a similar outlook

Cons

LONG hours, 50 is a minimum, reality is 60 to 70. Break that down on your salary of 17,500 and you'd be better off in a call centre. Questionable sales ethics. If you can't sell you WONT be promoted, yet there is more to management than sales. Typical day is washing, driving and selling expensive insurance. Little management to be done or learn.

There is more to management than sales. Better pay/less hours would also help your terrible retention rates.

Enterprise Rent-A-Car Photos