Enterprise Rent-A-Car

Updated Jul 23, 2014

3.0 2,753 reviews

Enterprise Rent-A-Car President and CEO Pamela M. (Pam) Nicholson

Pamela M. (Pam) Nicholson

Pros
  • Company values hands-on sales people who are wiling to provide exceptional customer service(in 221 reviews)

• met a lot of great people who I are my friends that I met at enterprise(in 159 reviews)

Cons
  • No work life balance ( 7 am - 6 pm everyday without any ability to work around)(in 413 reviews)

• If you were to work full time its long hours (730-6) but you never get out at 6(in 805 reviews)

2,753 Employee Reviews

Management Trainee

Management Trainee Intern (Current Employee) Southend-on-Sea, England

ProsEveryone that works for the company are young, so it is like working with your mates. The training never stops you are constantly learning something new everyday, and the job is definitely not boring! In my internship i have not just learnt management skills, but also built on my marketing skills, taking corporate accounts out to lunch and meet new accounts who want to be set up with us! This job is an all rounder for your future career, you can literally go anywhere within the company as you progress!

ConsThe hours is the worst part to the job, you work minimum 10hrs a day. I start at 7:45am finishing at 7pm on average every night and have one 30minute lunch break everyday. I then i have to work every other saturday from 8:30am till 1pm.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe hours that employees put in should be reflected with the pay they receive. The pay needs to increased, MT's and MA's work so hard but their pay just doesn't reflect that.

Sporadic and hypocritical.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

Pros- 99% of staff are friendly honest people
    - Driving decent cars
    - Strong company to list on a CV
    - Training can be helpful and teach you SOME skills that can be utilised outside ERAC

Cons- Ridiculous hours. Especially if there is a late shift at your branch; I once worked from 11:00 am - 2:30 am and then had to be in the following day for 8:00 am. Minimum of 50 hours a week.
    - Senior management are obsessed with sales. If you're unable to sell, don't expect to progress very quickly here.
    - Hypocrisy from senior management; sometimes customer needs are neglected to ensure that the day runs smoothly when customer service is drilled Into employees from day one.
    - Expect some very angry customers if you ever have to try and take a £700 excess....

Advice to Senior ManagementHours need to be shortened and fixed, rather than being on a adhoc basis.

Treading water

Manager (Current Employee) Egham, England

ProsEasy, no pressure or urgency. Very much determine your own pace and destiny. Get what you out of it and move on.

ConsNo clear direction, weak self opinionated management that wont take a hint.
    Management have been there for life and have no real world experience.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet a life, the enterprise way is not the right way.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Different to what I was expecting but a good overall experience

Management Trainee Intern (Former Employee)

ProsNot a highly pressurised environment - managers are friendly and often a good atmosphere in the office. Everyone is willing to help out if you have questions, and I never felt scared to ask.

ConsA lot of driving around which can be stressful. Sometimes your skills aren't necessarily utilised because of this, and you don't get as much time learning about key business/management functions.

Advice to Senior ManagementHave more detailed on the job training - sessions with your store manager where they explain about the different things that they do day to day.

Fast paced, Always on your feet decision making

Branch Manager (Current Employee)

ProsYou manage yourself and have the opportunity to learn anything and everything at your own pace.

ConsBottlenecks at the Branch Manager level.

Ridiculous

Management Trainee (Current Employee)

Pros-Opportunities of advancement
    -Good to have ERAC on CV
    -Different locations for easier access
    -Allows following passion if you can do the time

Cons-Very long hours, doesn't allow you you to have a social life
    -Not easy but worth it in the long run.

Advice to Senior ManagementSort out HR - It's a shambles.

3rd World Pay, and Conditions to Boot!

Management Trainee (Former Employee) London, England

ProsJob security - They have a huge gap merging for Assistant Managers and Branch Managers who have resigned. If your young, single, with no real responsibility in life, then you'll fit right in.

The Cars - You sometimes get to drive and deliver some really nice cars like BMW's or Jag's to customers homes.

ConsContracted 50 hour week (But more realistic 55-60hours) - You will be expected to stay late at the drop of a hat with no warning regardless of your plans. If you have a social life, wave it goodbye - ZERO work life balance, you will become a ghost to your nearest and dearest.

Extremely low pay - For the hours you work you'd be better off working at Mcdonald's on a 40hour week contract... FACT!

My honest advise to anyone considering this as a career (especially graduates) use your degree for something more worthy and work for another company in the city. You'll earn more, get bigger pay rises and still be able to see your friends at the weekend.

Advice to Senior ManagementIf I could say one honest thing to Jack Taylor and his family it would be - 'You promote the wrong people and wrong personalities to sustain a profitable company and business model'

Let's look at how... Currently the company promotes the person who can sell, sell, sell.
    That's great but, why only the best sellers? They need to be so much more and have the personality traits to suit the role. This is biggest reason for people leaving Enterprise. You see the same type of managers over and over and start to wonder where all good decent people went? Promoting purely one type of personality, means that you loss the mix within the company and breed a culture of 'saleman or quit'. Head office in America.. LISTEN UP! there is MORE TO A PERSON THAN SELLING!
    Don't encourage single mindedness in staff, reflect the diversity of people within the company. Promoting these salesmen, wideboy types is gonna cost you at least two to three resignations a month!
    Promoting people with inflated sense of ego, who spend there days, basking in reflective glory, convincing others of their grandeur are hardly role models to trainees.

Without real change soon there will be no skilled managers left to train the newly promoted. The pyramid scheme of promotions currently in place will soon collapse. The whole expansion plan in the UK is in serious trouble if you don't take these and all the other comments found here on board.

Worst decision - Please do not make the same mistake

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsOverworked underpaid and forced to lie to customers.

ConsMiss-selling is promoted from day one.
    Don't buy a nice business suit because you'll be on your knees scrubbing cars from day one.
    Only judged on ridiculous KPI's that mean you have to shaft every customer to get anywhere.
    The hours are past a joke having to work over 50 hours every week for minimum wage when you do the math.

Spends years being completely selfish to both customers and your demotivated co-workers an you may make it to a store manager where you can spend the rest of your life working for an unappreciative uncaring organisation for a salary you could earn in the 2nd year of most jobs.

Advice to Senior ManagementChange the whole culture of this money hungry organisation to one that cares about the customers and the employees

Good training program and progressional opportunities but its hard work and long hours for average pay.

Assistant Manager (Current Employee)

Pros- Great co-workers real team atmosphere.
    - Good training program aimed at producing branch and assistant mangers.
    - Only recruit from within so many varied opportunities available.
    - If timing is right progression can be quick leading to better pay and benefits.
    - Good employee discount scheme.
    - Generous holiday allowance.
    - Annual profit share contribution to pension scheme.

Cons- Long hours as an assistant manager I often work 7am to 7pm.
    - Have to work 5 out of 7 days which means many weekends.
    - Staffing is always light which can be very stressful.
    - Required to move around during training with no support to these moves.
    - Average pay is poor considering the hours and effort required.

Advice to Senior Management- Increase pay.
    - Give all managers a car.
    - Listen to what day to day managers are saying.
    - Spend more time at grass root business level.

Absolutely horrific!!!

Management Assistant (Former Employee) Salisbury, England

ProsYou can meet some interesting people but build an out of work friendship quickly because they tend to move on fast!
    1 in 100 customer's will be nice, educated, cultured people who quickly wonder what they did to their insurance company for them to want to send them to Enterprise.
    Pension was good, not that you'll ever see it because you'll die before you get it.

ConsTerrible working conditions
    Sociopath owners and senior management
    Illegal business practices
    Highly unethical business practices
    Very long working hours and compulsory overtime
    Very low pay and little other rewards
    Some co-workers can be cretins
    Abusive customers

This company is successful for one reason and one reason only, because it rags its staff. I could not in good conscience even recommend my worst enemy to work at this company. All this business about training to be a manager is a big load of BS. This place was so bad that I couldn't physically finish my notice period - it was making me ill. I left ERAC for a 37.5 working week, a £7000 base pay rise and the opportunity to work for a boss that is actually a very smart guy.

Advice to Senior ManagementWouldn't know where to start.

Worked for Enterprise Rent-A-Car? Contribute to the Community!