Environmental Resources Management

Be The First To
Add Photos

Environmental Resources Management CEO and Director John Alexander

John Alexander

Pros
  • Good working environment, opportunity to work with big company and interesting projects(in 11 reviews)

• well known company in legal and oil and gas industries(in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • Work-life balance is hampered by project deadlines and stoked by over-worked partner-level ERMers(in 8 reviews)

• Terrible customer relations, work environment, health and safety issues(in 5 reviews)

Great people, great projects, can be overly bureaucratic

Consultant Level II (Current Employee)

ProsERM employs some great people and this really makes the place. Most of the partners are very friendly and the company as a whole can be very supportive (they certainly were for me, however I've heard differently from other people).
    I've had the opportunity to work on some really fascinating projects and get a lot of client facing time despite my junior level (contrary to what some other reviews suggest).
    If you put the effort into "selling" yourself within the company and pushing for opportunities to work on different things it's a really great place to work, however people who are less forward seem to have had a much worse experience.

ConsMassive bureaucracy at upper levels can make doing anything difficult.
    Some senior partners are just old boys who seem to do little more than keep their seat warm (however others are really good and hopefully symptomatic of a "new breed"). Internal politics can be a nightmare with each partner effectively sitting on their own personal fiefdom - some partners make everything easy but others seem deliberately obstructive.
    Pay rises are paltry and you'll quickly find your salary is waaaaaaaaaay below industry standard and you have to fight hard to get anything like a fair paycheck. If you don't have support from one or more partners then forget it.
    Getting a promotion can be tough unless you have a partner on your side to fight your case.
    Company does not have consistent process and systems across regions. Attempts to correct this seem to make things worse rather than better.
    Chargeout rates are much higher than competitors, which given the lower salaries is a bit of an irritant. Management claim the increased rates are because ERM is better than it's competitors, which is fundamentally untrue because there are plenty of excellent consultants working at other consultancies (that's not to say that ERM is worse than its competitors of course).

Some interesting project work... Below average pay, no/little career development support for more junior consultants...

Risk Consultant II (Current Employee) London, England

ProsSometimes bring in interesting projects
    Employees range from (a few) talented individuals to incompetent
    Varied experiences, alot of inconsistency across regions, offices...etc.- for me some positives some of my colleagues had much worse experiences others were better off
    Some good people.. for consultants with less than 10 years it is a good place to get foot in the door and be thrown in the deep end to learn on your own but not a place to stay or progress

ConsSalary is way below industry/competitors
    Poor leadership, alot of mismanagement
    Alot of politics especially partner level (this affects every one further down the chain)
    Attempt to show that there is a flat structure when in fact it is overly bureaucratic
    Alot of inconsistencies re-promotions, salaries, allocation of project work...The company does not have consistent processes and systems across offices. Attempts to correct this seem to make things worse rather than better!
    Generally overrated and does not live up to its 'aims/ambitions' (e.g. The world’s leading sustainability consultancy or more specific to me: top global risk consultancy...etc.)
    Management claim the increased rates are because ERM is as good as the market's best (e.g. for tech safety/risk: DNV) or better than it's competitors, which is fundamentally untrue...

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement need to realise what the market are paying in terms of salaries and close the gap (or at least try!)
    Need to get some consistency across offices/regions (at least start with getting conistency across Business Units in the same country!)
    Improve management of projects and project work allocation
    Be more honest and transparent with Junior and mid-level consultants

Great people, but zero incentive and poor salary

Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) London, England

Pros- The people (party due to the inevitable Stockholm syndrome)
    - Great projects
    - Varied role

Cons- Poor pay
    - Poor prospects
    - Micromanagement
    - Bureaucracy
    - Blame culture
    - No actual love for the environment - all about the bottom line
    - Outdated
    - Zero inegrity
    - A tendency for management to put their fingers in their ears and sing whenever you raise concerns.

Advice to Senior ManagementInvest in people, not projects that go against the environmental statement you supposedly adhere to. Otherwise, your sub-standard consultancy will hire more and more sub-par people as the talent leaves for companies with integrity. Find your soul again ERM.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

ERM does not live up to its reputation as a leading sustainability consulting firm.

Consultant Level II (Current Employee) London, England

ProsIf you work in one of the core environmental consulting practices then ERM is probably a good company to work for, however if you work in other specialist areas it doesn't come anywhere close to meeting the competition on compensation or reputation.

There can be some good opportunities to work on interesting projects.

ERM has a flat organisational structure - you have direct contact with senior management and fast response times.

Good support services. All IT is in-house. Very responsive and knowledgeable. 5 star service.

ConsERM has several consulting levels: Consultant I, Consultant II, Senior Consultant, Principal Consultant, and Partner/Tech. Director. They try to make out that there is no 'gradism' and everyone is a consultant. This is not the case. There is a strong reliance on the established hierarchy of grades.

Junior consultants (CI and CII) have limited client contact and often only get involved in delivery and not design of projects.

You've got to love your job at ERM because the pay and reward is significantly below market rate.

The London office has hot desking. I've seen this work in other companies but ERM has it so wrong. The desk layout is intrusive leading to a awkward work environment. You have to book your desk each week and aren't always able to sit close to your team mates, or even get a desk sometimes.

Advice to Senior ManagementSenior management need to be more visible and communicate organisational strategy more effectively.

Commit to flexible working to improve the London office.

Not as good as it thinks it is

Human Resources Manager (Former Employee) London, England

ProsTechnical expertise
    Global network
    Strong client base

ConsI'm not sure that the company knows what it stands for. There is a curious mix of businesses, from hardcore technical expertise in "dirty" areas such as industrial clean-ups to strategic advice on sustainability through information systems. I never had a strong sense of a common purpose amongst the leaders of the organisation - other than to look out for each other. Admission to the partnership - where the real rewards lie - seems to be a black box decision-making process and at the end of the day you need to be "one of the boys" to get in. Salaries are very, very low for the consulting industry (I know, I worked in HR) and the business model is geared towards rewarding the partners every five years or so as they attract another round of private equity investment. There is also a "cult" around the CEO who has surrounded himself with yes-people (mainly men, note). I really am not sure what the future is for the company beyond this current round of investment.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe much clearer, and demanding, in setting high standards for leadershp across the organisation. Current development framework is mired in a 1990s view of leadership which is utterly unrelated to the real world.

Disappointing company with no ethics.

Senior Consultant (Former Employee) London, England

ProsA global footprint, some good people.

ConsCompany claims to be an environmental consultancy but will work for the largest polluters and whoever pays them.

Interesting folks, poor pay

Senior Consultant (Current Employee) London, England

ProsGreat, innovative, interested people who care. Challenging projects and good travel ops. Very non-hierarchical.

ConsBelow average pay and slow promotion processes at junior levels.

Advice to Senior ManagementThink about your people more than growth.

A great company to work for

Senior Consultant (Current Employee)

ProsLoads of exciting projects, always something new coming round the corner to keep you hooked. A great working community and doesnt feel like you are working for a large corporation. Collaboration across practices and regions is really fluid.

ConsCan be a lot of pressure to work late and long hours. A lot of focus on billability.

A wonderful internship experience! Learned a great deal, met great people, and was treated very well.

Intern (Former Employee) London, England

Pros+Great work culture
    +Highly intelligent and competent employees
    +High-performing company
    +Was mentored by caring supervisors
    +Was given meaningful work and felt like my output was actually valued
    +Didn't pour a single cup of coffee or make a single photocopy.

ConsI apologize if this review seems one-sided, but I really can't think of any cons.

Dull, dull, dull - fine for "technicians" but not for those interested in broader sustainability and business consulting

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGood for those interested in a technical career. Global network.

ConsUninteresting and uninspiring work and colleagues. People strategy is a joke. Feels like a company in financial trouble.

Advice to Senior ManagementMove up the value chain or become a dinosaur.

Worked for Environmental Resources Management? Contribute to the Community!