Environmental Resources Management

Be The First To
Add Photos

Environmental Resources Management CEO and Director John Alexander

John Alexander

Pros:
  • "I worked on some of the most interesting projects"
    in 10 reviews
  • "well known company in legal and oil and gas industries"
    in 4 reviews
Cons:
  • "Work-life balance is hampered by project deadlines and stoked by over-worked partner-level ERMers"
    in 8 reviews
  • "Terrible customer relations, work environment, health and safety issues"
    in 5 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Interesting folks, poor pay

London, England

I have been working at Environmental Resources Management full-time for more than 5 years

ProsGreat, innovative, interested people who care. Challenging projects and good travel ops. Very non-hierarchical.

ConsBelow average pay and slow promotion processes at junior levels.

Advice to Senior ManagementThink about your people more than growth.

ERM does not live up to its reputation as a leading sustainability consulting firm.

Consultant Level II (Current Employee)
London, England

I have been working at Environmental Resources Management full-time for more than a year

ProsIf you work in one of the core environmental consulting practices then ERM is probably a good company to work for, however if you work in other specialist areas it doesn't come anywhere close to meeting the competition on compensation or reputation.

There can be some good opportunities to work on interesting projects.

ERM has a flat organisational structure - you have direct contact with senior management and fast response times.

Good support services. All IT is in-house. Very responsive and knowledgeable. 5 star service.

ConsERM has several consulting levels: Consultant I, Consultant II, Senior Consultant, Principal Consultant, and Partner/Tech. Director. They try to make out that there is no 'gradism' and everyone is a consultant. This is not the case. There is a strong reliance on the established hierarchy of grades.

Junior consultants (CI and CII) have limited client contact and often only get involved in delivery and not design of projects.

You've got to love your job at ERM because the pay and reward is significantly below market rate.

The London office has hot desking. I've seen this work in other companies but ERM has it so wrong. The desk layout is intrusive leading to a awkward work environment. You have to book your desk each week and aren't always able to sit close to your team mates, or even get a desk sometimes.

Advice to Senior ManagementSenior management need to be more visible and communicate organisational strategy more effectively.

Commit to flexible working to improve the London office.

Not as good as it thinks it is

Human Resources Manager (Former Employee)

I worked at Environmental Resources Management full-time for more than 3 years

ProsTechnical expertise
Global network
Strong client base

ConsI'm not sure that the company knows what it stands for. There is a curious mix of businesses, from hardcore technical expertise in "dirty" areas such as industrial clean-ups to strategic advice on sustainability through information systems. I never had a strong sense of a common purpose amongst the leaders of the organisation - other than to look out for each other. Admission to the partnership - where the real rewards lie - seems to be a black box decision-making process and at the end of the day you need to be "one of the boys" to get in. Salaries are very, very low for the consulting industry (I know, I worked in HR) and the business model is geared towards rewarding the partners every five years or so as they attract another round of private equity investment. There is also a "cult" around the CEO who has surrounded himself with yes-people (mainly men, note). I really am not sure what the future is for the company beyond this current round of investment.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe much clearer, and demanding, in setting high standards for leadershp across the organisation. Current development framework is mired in a 1990s view of leadership which is utterly unrelated to the real world.

Disappointing company with no ethics.

Senior Consultant (Former Employee)

I worked at Environmental Resources Management full-time for more than 5 years

ProsA global footprint, some good people.

ConsCompany claims to be an environmental consultancy but will work for the largest polluters and whoever pays them.

A great company to work for

Senior Consultant (Current Employee)

ProsLoads of exciting projects, always something new coming round the corner to keep you hooked. A great working community and doesnt feel like you are working for a large corporation. Collaboration across practices and regions is really fluid.

ConsCan be a lot of pressure to work late and long hours. A lot of focus on billability.

A wonderful internship experience! Learned a great deal, met great people, and was treated very well.

Intern (Former Employee)
London, England

I worked at Environmental Resources Management as an intern for less than a year

Pros+Great work culture
+Highly intelligent and competent employees
+High-performing company
+Was mentored by caring supervisors
+Was given meaningful work and felt like my output was actually valued
+Didn't pour a single cup of coffee or make a single photocopy.

ConsI apologize if this review seems one-sided, but I really can't think of any cons.

Dull, dull, dull - fine for "technicians" but not for those interested in broader sustainability and business consulting

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Environmental Resources Management

ProsGood for those interested in a technical career. Global network.

ConsUninteresting and uninspiring work and colleagues. People strategy is a joke. Feels like a company in financial trouble.

Advice to Senior ManagementMove up the value chain or become a dinosaur.

Great people, reasonable opportunities, OK pay.

Project Manager (Former Employee)

I worked at Environmental Resources Management full-time

ProsThe company is starting to melt its regional differences and develop a coherent culture. The people in general are really nice to work with and there are challenging opportunities if you seek them out.

ConsPay is comparable to other similar firms but if you're in this industry you know it's not the best. Bonuses are not that good. Promotions become more difficult as you move up as the company has a relatively flat structure.

Advice to Senior ManagementIf you're going to demand high billability and quality product, try to reward employees more. Concentrate on making training relevant for each person who must attend.

EHS Commodity Sellers

Houston, TX (US)

ProsLarge size clients. International presence. Some (rare) very highly skilled talent

Cons- Claim to be on the sustainability track = All talk, no nationwide growth strategy, little results. Most senior hires did not last a year before leaving... Huge road blocks internally
- Commodity EHS provider with a squeeze on human resource and very high billable rates.
- Career growth is pathetic, have not learned a thing in 7 years.
- Salaries are miserable and annual bonus are a joke. Expect to get a flat 1-2% per year and a $500 annual bonus if your manager are not promoting your case (12 hours work days efforts for 12 months!)
- Revolving doors at many offices due to poor leadership...

Advice to Senior ManagementVision to become a Billion dollar company is blurring top management. Exploiting people is a good thing but need to give back one way or the other... I have not encountered such bitterness to my other 3 former FT500 employers as much as with ERM...

Hard to believe in a global recognition

Tech Lead (Former Employee)
São Paulo, São Paulo (Brazil)

I worked at Environmental Resources Management full-time for more than 5 years

Prossome senior consultants really do a great job despite the mismanagement, bureaucracy and no administrative support

ConsMy 5 years experience ERM Brazil was definitely very enlightening!

I can not understand the criteria for partner selection: all of them with little or no knowledge about environmental issues and poor leadership.

The unique partner ability that I was could identify was mismanagement.

Rare senior consultants know what they are doing in the midst of so much bureaucracy and mismanagement.

No administrative area features professional work. It is total improvisation all the time. Health and safety is a big scam. Work environment is hostile and hysterical, far from being competitive, and stimulated by partners.

Hard to believe that ERM claims to have a global recognition when I see the same problems in other ERM offices in other countries.

Advice to Senior ManagementI believe that ERM partners do not hear any advice

Worked for Environmental Resources Management? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Environmental Resources Management reviews and ratings - including employee satisfaction and approval ratings for Environmental Resources Management CEO John Alexander. All 100 reviews are posted anonymously by Environmental Resources Management employees.