Esri

Updated 27 January 2015
3.1

Esri President Jack Dangermond
Jack Dangermond

Pros
  • Provides a great work life balance (in 15 reviews)

• great benefits --- essentially free healthcare (in 17 reviews)

Cons
  • There is no career path - pick your life's work and you will be just fine (in 18 reviews)

• No opportunity for career growth unless someone ahead of you retires or leaves the company (in 13 reviews)

More Highlights

Unlike any other company

I have been working at Esri full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Market leader, founded on solid moral values. Privately owned and therefore financially very stable. Very mature and diverse customer base.

Cons

Lots of 'dead wood' at the top of the management chain. Your success is very much related to who you know, and how you work the networks. Fine if you know how to operate like that, not so much for those who don't.

Very nice place to work

Current Employee - Project Manager/Consultant in Redlands, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Project Manager/Consultant in Redlands, CA (US)

I have been working at Esri

Pros

Excellent coworkers, customer oriented work is very interesting and you can learn a lot when the opportunity comes by.

Cons

Average pay, not a whole lot of upward mobility, management not geared towards supporting younger generation trends or growth

Need more dynamic young blood

Very happy.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Charlotte, NC (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Charlotte, NC (US)

I have been working at Esri

Pros

Good company, values employees, responsible company, good benefits.

Cons

Lots to learn and it's every changing, but it can make it fun and a challenge.

More clear onboarding plan.

Jan 20, 2015Human Resources

Thanks for chiming in from Charlotte! We’re sorry to hear your onboarding experience fell short of your expectations and we will talk with the management team to see where we can improve.

Rewarding Career Move

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Redlands, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Redlands, CA (US)

I have been working at Esri

Pros

The people are incredible to work with and our benefits are excellent - not only for employees but spouses and families as well.
    Our software really allows people to make a positive difference and that is a rewarding feeling.
    Redlands is a great town that is very family oriented and away from the "rat race".

Cons

Being a campus of a couple thousand people I understand that it is difficult to have large scale interactions...that being said, there are little to no opportunities for employees (who move to Redlands from around the world) with similar interests -- both personally and professionally-- to network.

Continue strongly pushing for communication to be more transparent throughout the entire company and support
    forums that allow employees to engage internally.

Jan 20, 2015Human Resources

Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts. We are working on an initiative that will allow employees to network with each other in an open, fun environment. This will be a great way for ... More

Low pay but stable

I worked at Esri

Pros

Nice people to work with

Cons

Low pay and few chances for advancement

Amazing benefits

I worked at Esri (less than a year)

Pros

Great benefits, people stay for a long time here

Cons

Very specialized work, pigeon holed very easily

Jan 27, 2015

The tenure of our employees is something we take great pride in, as well as the benefits we provide to our employees and their families. We encourage employees to be proactive and talk with their ... More

Applications developer

I have been working at Esri full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Good starter company. Laid back work environment. 401k. Dental and Vision.

Cons

No vertical growth. Terrible pay. No stock options.

Jan 16, 2015Human Resources

Thank you for your feedback. Even though Esri is a flat organization, employees have many opportunities to take on new projects and increased responsibility. If you feel this is not available to you ... More

A Slammed Foot in the Door

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Redlands, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Redlands, CA (US)

I worked at Esri

Pros

The ever-expanding campus is kept relatively environmentally friendly and natural looking. Pretty good benefits (if you are full time). World renowned GIS software company in a little rural community. A comfortable place to work if you enjoy a very structured 8-5, low growth, same-old, same-old and no challenge.

Cons

First, DO NOT go in as a contracted employee! Your foot in the door...no such thing! The company is perpetually listing new job positions; however, if you keep your on eye on them, they also never hire for them. Looks great on paper, but the reality is more of a silent hire freeze. The company strongly emphasizes education, which is excellent; however, they fail to recognize knowledge or common sense. This creates a very resentful work atmosphere when you have individuals who have a "degree" but know nothing about business practices, organization or basic technology supervising individuals that have extensive work experience and knowledge to offer but are continuously blown off for lack of a degree. As a contracted employee, you will be treated as inferior. Put a lot of work and thought in to projects and day to day work only to have my contract terminated after over a year. Don't expect to take a sick day, an extra long lunch (approved by management) to go to your child's award ceremony or get tied up in a traffic delay; it will be held against you as a contracted employee...even after being contracted for over a year. Executive management has their priorities backwards and the employees pay for it, but don't get paid for it....but they'll remind you that your health insurance is completely paid for...if that's all you want out of a job, this would be a great place!

Down play the micro-management. Pay attention to the employees that are actually doing the work, not the ones that pretend to do the work. For a technology giant, the internal technology is almost embarrassing; Instead of building giant beautiful buildings, upgrade what already exists. Encourage departments with tools to improve their technology and work processes; support change.

Contractors Beware

I worked at Esri

Pros

Cafe on site, Pretty Campus, Good Benefits (if you're fulltime)

Cons

Terrible managment
    Politics here are more important than actually doing your job
    Contractors here are treated like they are dispensible and you are lucky if they "convert" you to full time. (Which rarely happens)
    Interview process took 3 months and it makes no sense why
    Told I was a great employee but then let go on final day of my contract

Focus on employees that actually want to do a good job not those who play politics and do the least amount possible

Jan 15, 2015Human Resources

We appreciate your feedback. We typically utilize contractors on a short-term basis to meet specific project timelines. Depending on business need, they are converted to regular full-time employees ... More

C# developer

Current Employee - C# Applications Developer in Redlands, CA (US)
    Current Employee - C# Applications Developer in Redlands, CA (US)

I have been working at Esri

Pros

Good job for beginners, very quiet and comfortable. big stable company.

Cons

Low salary, lack of evolution.

Pay a bit more to employees