Esri

Esri Reviews

Updated Jul 31, 2014

Esri President Jack Dangermond

Jack Dangermond

Pros
  • Work-life balance, benefits, the employees, the campus (in 13 reviews)

• Great benefits and time of for new parents (in 14 reviews)

Cons
  • There is no career path - pick your life's work and you will be just fine (in 15 reviews)

• No opportunity for career growth unless someone ahead of you retires or leaves the company (in 12 reviews)

More Highlights

Unlike any other company

ProsMarket leader, founded on solid moral values. Privately owned and therefore financially very stable. Very mature and diverse customer base.

ConsLots of 'dead wood' at the top of the management chain. Your success is very much related to who you know, and how you work the networks. Fine if you know how to operate like that, not so much for those who don't.

Ok for family, Not Ok for individuals who can work hard and need high pay

Software Development Programmer (Current Employee) Redlands, CA (US)

ProsLess pressure,
    Family friendly,
    Insurance benefits,
    Comfortable office environment,
    Eco-friendly office with lot of trees and fish ponds

ConsNo significant pay rise,
    Sometimes boring work, very hard to push new innovations,
    No team based tasks and enthusiasm,
    Remote location,
    No nearby food places other than in-office cafe which is not open at all times

Advice to Senior ManagementIncrease pay in par with industry standards

Plenty of learning opportunities. This is a great company to start your career at.

Information Systems and Technology (Current Employee) Redlands, CA (US)

ProsEsri is a very dynamic environment. It can be very frustrating for those who like structure but, you have a lot of autonomy and get to implement your ideas. I heard this is not true in all departments though.

ConsCompensation and benefit package can be better.

Advice to Senior ManagementWork on a better compensation package and a better career progression for your employees. Some are ready for something bigger and better and the company is not always ready for it.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

I had 4 supervisors.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Redlands, CA (US)

ProsThe employees in my department were very courteous.

ConsI had 4 supervisors. They did not communicate so I kept answering the same question. I was supposed to have one supervisor and one manager.

Advice to Senior ManagementMake sure everyone is on the same page.

Where you can retire at if you can put up with the BS and last that long...

GIS Product Engineer (Current Employee) Redlands, CA (US)

ProsGreat people, low pressure and opportunity to succeed for even most average workers. If slightly above average you can quickly become a rock star as long as you can put up with the oldies club (people who have been there forever) who have had little exposure to how things are done in larger companies.

ConsQuite a bit of incompetency in management which offers a limited career path (due to oldies club) probably because they can't attract good workers due to remote location. Compensation also tends to be low. May be frustrating for folks used to defined structure, processes and well defined job descriptions with clear responsibilities.

Advice to Senior ManagementHire new, experienced people from large companies in senior executive positions and give them authority to make the drastic changes that are necessary to drag the company out of the complacency that seems to exist throughout.

Not a Bad Place To Work

Lead (Current Employee) Redlands, CA (US)

Pros-Flexible work schedule
    -Nice people
    -Good Benefits

Cons-Pay is not up to industry standard
    -No pay scales – you can take a promotion that requires much more responsibility and have no idea how much of a raise you will get… if any.
    -Takes forever to get anything done – lot of “red tape”
    -The company is privately owned, but COMPLETELY ran by HR
    -Very, very minimal pay increases each year…. Almost insulting.

You get what you make of it.

Software Product Engineer (Current Employee) Redlands, CA (US)

ProsEsri is a big company that enjoys the benefits and suffers the pitfalls of much smaller enterprises. If you're an ambitious person who is eager to embrace opportunities not in your job description, it can be a great environment. Esri is a global company and has a lot of holes that can be filled by people with ideas and ability to present their case well. Health benefits are pretty good, and management on the software products side tend to be relatively more flexible than other teams.

ConsCompensation tends to run around the low-end of the spectrum for nearly every position. Certain management groups can be bizarrely click-ish.

Advice to Senior ManagementStaff teams sufficiently so that projects can be completed on time. This will allow programmers to embrace collaborative attitudes and give them the time to update their skill sets.

Esri

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Redlands, CA (US)

ProsFamily first company. Very nice place to work

ConsNothing bad to say about the company

Good Benefits, company lacks leadership and direction

Product Engineer (Current Employee) Redlands, CA (US)

ProsBenefits are phenomenal. Free medical, dental, vision for you and all dependents. PPO plan. Cafeteria is one of the best corporate cafeteria's I've seen. Corporate library is well stocked, campus is beautiful. Good if you need a paycheck with minimal effort and lots of free-time.

ConsCorporate leadership is rapidly losing understanding of market changes and new technology challenges. Company paths with no risk and gets what they risked. Work force is not up to date with cutting edge technologies and gap is slowly growing. Workforce is not up to date with current technologies. Software development group in chaos - too few developers to meet customers changing needs. Ratio of women to men is high for a tech company, but ratio of women to men in management is nearly zero.

Advice to Senior ManagementNone. They don't listen to outside advice.

Stay as far away as you can

Project Manager/Consultant (Former Employee) Redlands, CA (US)

ProsMost people working here don't care, so if you have any motivation you can feel like you are getting things done. However, everything else about the company is so toxic that this benefit nets out to a zero or a negative.

ConsSalary is well below industry and local area standards
    Raises are practically non-existent, and if you do get them they are often barely at the rate of inflation
    There is absolutely no path for advancement—you will rot in the job into which you were hired
    There is no employee development: yearly reviews and development plans are systematically ignored; training is practically non-existent, both internally and externally; there is practically no funding to participate in conferences or professional development events
    Management is both incompetent and abusive
    Campus atmosphere is stifling; it's a well-manicured cube-farm, but that doesn't make it any less of a cube-farm

I could go on and on

Advice to Senior ManagementJack please wake up and make your company better.

Worked for Esri? Contribute to the Community!