Eurofins Scientific

Gilles G. Martin

Microbiologist

Current Employee - Microbiologist in London, England
    Current Employee - Microbiologist in London, England

I have been working at Eurofins Scientific full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Very Good laboratory maintaining all the safety regulations. Good Experience working here

Cons

Odd work timings. May have to stay for extra hours depending on the work

Dont work here!!

Former Employee - Microbiology
    Former Employee - Microbiology

I worked at Eurofins Scientific

Pros

Some people on the team were very friendly and easy to get along with, helped when the workload got too high (which happened a lot!)
    Good for experience

Cons

LOW PAY!!!
    only follow lab guidelines and policies when auditors are coming to look around
    underpaid and overworked-had to stay and finish all incoming samples from that day even if
     it meant you were staying very late, no consideration for how you were travelling back/any plans you previously had
    Manager had a tendancy to not help and spend most of her time checking emails-told us to hurry up if we were falling behind but were working flat out.
    Very high turnover, constantly training new people who then leave after a couple of months
    Found that some who had been there longer, preferred to leave the majority of work to others including the jobs no one wanted to do.
    Managers were patronising and lazy

Ends unemployment because they employ anyone, but they are bullies and unproffesional

Former Employee - Laboratory Technician in Acton, London, England
    Former Employee - Laboratory Technician in Acton, London, England

I worked at Eurofins Scientific full-time (less than a year)

Pros

They always have vacancies because so many staff leave, longest people stay is two years because they cant find other jobs, more recently people stay 6 months in the job and return to studies or just quit. I was however told it is the company policy to have staff leaving as it is part of the business plan. Therefore as I said there are always vacancies.

You can eat the food that isn't tested in the food lab during 1 hour dinner break, or you can take home the chocolates after work.

Can leave early if all the work is done, hours 2pm to 10pm

Staff they employ are nice people. And when I started felt close to staff there but as staff leave and new staff join the feelings change.

Cons

Some practices were poor habits, such as the pippette skills or overflowing bins. You are rushed and told to work faster and faster with profits placed before quality. I found some of their practices difficult to accept as they were not how we were taught to work in school.

They employ women the majority of time because cheaper than men. Also almost all staff are foreign. Was told because women are faster than men and foreign workers suffer less stress.

The manager watches staff through window at his desk to make sure everyone working, they also put CCTV cameras up to watch staff.

The bins outside are full and piled against the wall because the company tries to save money with collections. Rats were once reported in the building but staff were told it was because they are untidy in the staff room.

If the work is finished early you leave early but if not complete you are forced to work up to 2am. On a 12 hour shift.

On one occasion the pipe broke and they were worried about contamination as contaminated water samples are poured down charcoal drains and but still survive in pipes.

The floor had not been cleaned since the site opened ten years early and needed cleaning to impress customer, although auditors do visit and never complained.

You are made to lift heavy boxes and water samples come in trays with 20 water bottles on a tray. When I complained it was tiring I was told if I could not do the job to leave.

Have anonymous staff complaints box so staff could vent their frustrations before they get angry and leave.

Pay staff similar pay and dont have staff starting the same day on different wages because of agencies.

I have worked at Eurofins for 3 years

Former Employee - Microbiologist in Otterbourne, England
    Former Employee - Microbiologist in Otterbourne, England

I worked at Eurofins Scientific full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Friendly staff
    Learning new skills, continuous training

Cons

The pay! Oh the pay! Breadline you say? Actually worse. Unless you are absolutely desperate seek employment elsewhere.

It's simple: better pay means people are happier and stay for longer. Low pay means you have high turnover, you spend long time training new staff, low skilled workforce.

Poorly paid

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Otterbourne, England
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Otterbourne, England

I have been working at Eurofins Scientific

Pros

As described by the first reviewer-
    Friendly, helpful and experienced staff make Eurofins a good place to learn in pleasant, semi rural surroundings.

Cons

The disparity between the pay rates of longer serving staff and management bonuses versus the poor pay for newer members means they loose staff quickly.

Useful for gaining laboratory experience before getting a properly paid job elsewhere.

Former Employee - Scientist in Otterbourne, England
    Former Employee - Scientist in Otterbourne, England

I worked at Eurofins Scientific

Pros

Friendly and sociable staff.
    Good sense of team spirit.
    Flexi-time is useful.
    Nice site location.
    The Christmas meal and summer barbecue are welcome events.

Cons

Very poor pay and unfair conditions. Some staff get a bigger holiday allowance and are paid significantly more than others to do the same job, often to a lower standard.
    No opportunities for professional or career development: Eurofins almost never promote internally, always hiring externally and never consider using their own employees abilities and skills.
    High staff turnover due to dissatisfaction with the unfair pay and working conditions.
    No pay increase for three years yet there has been a lot of money spent on managers and their expenses.

Make the pay and working conditions fairer for laboratory staff - it is demoralising to have wildly differing pay levels for doing the same job.
    Give current staff opportunities to progress their careers within the company.

Eurofins US

I have been working at Eurofins Scientific

Pros

Steady business even in bad economy.

Cons

Headquarter needs to be significant.

N/A

Good Place to work with great collegues

Current Employee - Software Architect in Bangalore (India)
    Current Employee - Software Architect in Bangalore (India)

I have been working at Eurofins Scientific full-time (less than a year)

Pros

- Nice pay package
    - Freedom for thoughts
    - Complete control
    - not much hand holding

Cons

- small firm
    - less support staff
    - small admin and hr group
    - bad transport

Eurofins IT Solutions - If product development experience is your priority, this is the company to work for.

Former Employee - IT Technology Expert in Bangalore (India)
    Former Employee - IT Technology Expert in Bangalore (India)

I worked at Eurofins Scientific

Pros

core product development experience...
    great learning opportunities since you get free access to pluralsight.com
    lot of travel opportunities to Europe and USA, though it's all short-term ..
    small , but highly experience team members.
    highly responsive management team... always available to hear the concerns and provide quick solutions..
    lot of coaching opportunities...
    regular team outings..
    easy access to senior level management.
    free transport service
    I had to quit Eurofins since i was getting relocated to another city. Having worked in 4 different companies in the last 11 years, I clearly rate Eurofins as the best employer.

Cons

poor support systems... (1 member admin team, 2 member hr team... )
    not all projects follow scrum. few follow, but most are on agile.
    matrixed orgnisation. most of them have dual managers.
    campus in whitefiled is owned , but not best in class.

Continue providing more tax benefit options.

Quality Control Analyst

Former Employee - QC Analyst
    Former Employee - QC Analyst

I worked at Eurofins Scientific full-time (less than a year)

Pros

You can definitely learn a lot depending on your trainer. Take good notes, ask questions, jump in and get your hands dirty!

Cons

The cons...oh boy, the cons. I keep seeing the word "cattle" in the other negative reviews and I have to agree. You are worked HARD. Not meeting a deadline is unacceptable here even if it's something out of your control (tech prepped sample wrong, instrument breaks, sample arrives late, etc.) and YOU will be staying as long as needed to finish it. Co-workers are nice, but everyone has so much on their plate that it's hard to interact. Management takes a lot of credit for your hard word and will frequently deny vacation time (or offer a shorter time) because they're always understaffed! If you like OT, long days and weekend work, this is for you. I stayed 6 months and heavily job hunted after my third month because no job should make you this miserable. I would look elsewhere.

You need to give your technicians/analysts some breathing room. I had co-workers frequently not taking a lunch because they didn't have enough time and there was so much pressure to perform. One of the analysts put in his two weeks and the lab almost mutinied. You have to value your people!