Eurofins Scientific Reviews

Gilles G. Martin

1. Microbiologist

Current Employee - Microbiologist in London, England
    Current Employee - Microbiologist in London, England

I have been working at Eurofins Scientific full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Very Good laboratory maintaining all the safety regulations. Good Experience working here

Cons

Odd work timings. May have to stay for extra hours depending on the work

2. Heed this warning...

Former Employee - Pathology/Microbiology Lab Tech
    Former Employee - Pathology/Microbiology Lab Tech

I worked at Eurofins Scientific full-time

Pros

some of the people were nice

Cons

literally everything else. I can only speak for one of the UK branches but I came straight out of a science degree into this and please don't ever make my mistake of taking the first job that seemed alright. I had no training at all but was still expected to know everything. In my second day I had to take on the workload of two people and was expected to finish it before midnight, yes, midnight which was barely possible. They changed my contract after a few days because they offered me a nicer one originally and then when I left my other job they changed it to ridiculous hours and I just had to accept it. The manager never even said a word to me and all the other staff were planning to leave. TOXIC environment. Don't do it to yourself. I left and now I have a graduate role. It's worth waiting, honestly. One of the workers had the same degree as me and was on 15k salary for ten years. No prospects and horrendous working environment.

3. Dont work here!!

Former Employee - Microbiology
    Former Employee - Microbiology

I worked at Eurofins Scientific

Pros

Some people on the team were very friendly and easy to get along with, helped when the workload got too high (which happened a lot!)
    Good for experience

Cons

LOW PAY!!!
    only follow lab guidelines and policies when auditors are coming to look around
    underpaid and overworked-had to stay and finish all incoming samples from that day even if
     it meant you were staying very late, no consideration for how you were travelling back/any plans you previously had
    Manager had a tendancy to not help and spend most of her time checking emails-told us to hurry up if we were falling behind but were working flat out.
    Very high turnover, constantly training new people who then leave after a couple of months
    Found that some who had been there longer, preferred to leave the majority of work to others including the jobs no one wanted to do.
    Managers were patronising and lazy

Ends unemployment because they employ anyone, but they are bullies and unproffesional

Former Employee - Laboratory Technician in Acton, London, England
    Former Employee - Laboratory Technician in Acton, London, England

I worked at Eurofins Scientific full-time (less than a year)

Pros

They always have vacancies because so many staff leave, longest people stay is two years because they cant find other jobs, more recently people stay 6 months in the job and return to studies or just quit. I was however told it is the company policy to have staff leaving as it is part of the business plan. Therefore as I said there are always vacancies.

You can eat the food that isn't tested in the food lab during 1 hour dinner break, or you can take home the chocolates after work.

Can leave early if all the work is done, hours 2pm to 10pm

Staff they employ are nice people. And when I started felt close to staff there but as staff leave and new staff join the feelings change.

Cons

Some practices were poor habits, such as the pippette skills or overflowing bins. You are rushed and told to work faster and faster with profits placed before quality. I found some of their practices difficult to accept as they were not how we were taught to work in school.

They employ women the majority of time because cheaper than men. Also almost all staff are foreign. Was told because women are faster than men and foreign workers suffer less stress.

The manager watches staff through window at his desk to make sure everyone working, they also put CCTV cameras up to watch staff.

The bins outside are full and piled against the wall because the company tries to save money with collections. Rats were once reported in the building but staff were told it was because they are untidy in the staff room.

If the work is finished early you leave early but if not complete you are forced to work up to 2am. On a 12 hour shift.

On one occasion the pipe broke and they were worried about contamination as contaminated water samples are poured down charcoal drains and but still survive in pipes.

The floor had not been cleaned since the site opened ten years early and needed cleaning to impress customer, although auditors do visit and never complained.

You are made to lift heavy boxes and water samples come in trays with 20 water bottles on a tray. When I complained it was tiring I was told if I could not do the job to leave.

Advice to Management

Have anonymous staff complaints box so staff could vent their frustrations before they get angry and leave.

Pay staff similar pay and dont have staff starting the same day on different wages because of agencies.

I have worked at Eurofins for 3 years

Former Employee - Microbiologist in Otterbourne, England
    Former Employee - Microbiologist in Otterbourne, England

I worked at Eurofins Scientific full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Friendly staff
    Learning new skills, continuous training

Cons

The pay! Oh the pay! Breadline you say? Actually worse. Unless you are absolutely desperate seek employment elsewhere.

Advice to Management

It's simple: better pay means people are happier and stay for longer. Low pay means you have high turnover, you spend long time training new staff, low skilled workforce.

Poorly paid

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Otterbourne, England
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Otterbourne, England

I have been working at Eurofins Scientific

Pros

As described by the first reviewer-
    Friendly, helpful and experienced staff make Eurofins a good place to learn in pleasant, semi rural surroundings.

Cons

The disparity between the pay rates of longer serving staff and management bonuses versus the poor pay for newer members means they loose staff quickly.

Useful for gaining laboratory experience before getting a properly paid job elsewhere.

Former Employee - Scientist in Otterbourne, England
    Former Employee - Scientist in Otterbourne, England

I worked at Eurofins Scientific

Pros

Friendly and sociable staff.
    Good sense of team spirit.
    Flexi-time is useful.
    Nice site location.
    The Christmas meal and summer barbecue are welcome events.

Cons

Very poor pay and unfair conditions. Some staff get a bigger holiday allowance and are paid significantly more than others to do the same job, often to a lower standard.
    No opportunities for professional or career development: Eurofins almost never promote internally, always hiring externally and never consider using their own employees abilities and skills.
    High staff turnover due to dissatisfaction with the unfair pay and working conditions.
    No pay increase for three years yet there has been a lot of money spent on managers and their expenses.

Advice to Management

Make the pay and working conditions fairer for laboratory staff - it is demoralising to have wildly differing pay levels for doing the same job.
    Give current staff opportunities to progress their careers within the company.

Eurofins US

I have been working at Eurofins Scientific

Pros

Steady business even in bad economy.

Cons

Headquarter needs to be significant.

Advice to Management

N/A

It's OK for some time

I have been working at Eurofins Scientific

Pros

Most people are nice and professional. You can learn.

Cons

- No salary raises
    - Management seems to not care much about employee's working environment

Unprofessional and chaotic. Avoid unless you absolutely need a job. Then find something else anyway.

Former Employee - Lab Technician I in Des Moines, IA (US)
    Former Employee - Lab Technician I in Des Moines, IA (US)

I worked at Eurofins Scientific full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Co-workers and lab management are generally nice and personable. Easy to get a job; because they always need to replace the last employee who wised up and quit. Not much else.

Cons

This place is an absolute house of horrors to work at. Every employee is expendable; and as other reviewers have said, you're not going to see much in the way of actual raises or promotions. You have no real future at Eurofins.
    To avoid droning on about everything that is drastically wrong here, I'll just make a nice list of the major issues this place poses its workers:

-Understaffed departments with excessive workloads lead to a great deal of overtime
    -Hours change at the drop of a hat, meaning that what little time you have away from this place is impossible to predict
    -Equipment frequently malfunctions or needs replaced; bogs down workflow
    -Wal-mart like turnover rate decreases morale and effectiveness
    -Pay is beyond laughable. I made more per hour at a part time retail job in college. Benefits are expensive for what little coverage they provide
    -Excessive cost cutting measures hinder productivity

Advice to Management

If you truly want to back up the claim that Eurofins is one of the best professional independent testing laboratories in the world, maybe spend some actual time developing your testing facilities and employees.