Expedia Reviews

Updated 27 October 2014
3.6

Expedia President and CEO Dara Khosrowshahi
Dara Khosrowshahi

Pros
  • The company is really a fun place to work and embraces a great work life balance (in 127 reviews)

• Good working environment, nice people and travel benefits and good work life balance (in 64 reviews)

Cons
  • work/ life balance *might* make up for this when compared to some companies (in 39 reviews)

• Upper management is always looking to offshore your job so if you don't kiss a lot of butt you're out (in 33 reviews)

More Highlights

Constantly challenging, good work environment, great coworkers

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England

I have been working at Expedia full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

I find the most important aspects of most jobs are (a) whom I work with, (b) what I work on, and (c) whom I work for—in that order. At Expedia, I've been happy with all three. My coworkers are fun, competent, and have a decent work ethic. The projects are technically challenging and relevant to the company. And the engineering department I work in is well-run, fast-moving, and the values are all in the right place.

Cons

It's a large company. Large companies with legacy codebases come with a set of challenges that many people will not enjoy. I think these challenges are kept to a minimum at Expedia, but they are still there. This is not a startup.

Great company to work for

Former Employee - Senior Recruiter in London, England
    Former Employee - Senior Recruiter in London, England

I worked at Expedia full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

-Fun, vibrant
    -Amazing offices in London
    -Good people, team spirit
    -Discount on hotels and deals
    -Great opportunity to move up and across countries

Cons

-Working hours are sometimes unsociable due to workload and US reporting lines
    -You have to be prone to change to fit in

Great working environment but has downsides

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England

I worked at Expedia full-time

Pros

Great place to work, really good culture and working environment, didn't feel like going to work.
    There is always some kind of staff event or BBQ, very sociable place to work. Offices are very modern and trendy. Xbox's, table football etc.
    Some good benefits and discounts on travel.

Cons

High turnover, I saw many people come and go in my time and a lot of unjust sackings. Heard a lot of people were let go because their "boss didn't like them". This happened quite a lot if the persons face didn't fit.

Unfortunately because of the nice environment and the laid back atmosphere you had a lot of dead weight in the company, people who were happy to just sit back for the ride. I met quite a lot of people who either did nothing or didn't really know what they were doing, they'd just been there for a long time. Came in late, long lunches, left early and didn't really do anything whilst they were there.

The atmosphere although good to work in, produced a lack of urgency, not something I was used to and found to be quite frustrating when you needed something done.

Also the London office is too reliant on the Bellevue office, they need to break away, take more control and be more autonomous.

Get rid of the dead weight, people are in jobs that either they don't deserve or are incapable of doing. Sometimes both.

Content Coordinator

Current Employee - Content Coordinator in London, England
    Current Employee - Content Coordinator in London, England

I have been working at Expedia as a contractor (more than an year)

Pros

Young, dynamic, good work balance, ability to work indipendently

Cons

Changes in leadership, being a big corporate things are slowed down by too much bureaucracy

International environment, good benefits, but unsupportive in many ways

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England

I have been working at Expedia full-time (more than an year)

Pros

International environment (very multicultural)
    Nice product (everyone loves holidays / travelling)
    Good benefits (pension, insurance, travel discounts)

Cons

Work-life balance is poor (Many early-morning or evening or late-night conference calls that employees are expected to participate in on top of their normal 9-5 work.)
    Very male-oriented culture (Male employees progress, women don't. I've seen comments about this in a few reviews here. There are programmes that in theory offer additional support for women, but they feel like 'lip service' only.)
    Poor leadership and infighting between directors

Stop thinking of women employees as a minority that need special programmes. Just treat them fairly every day and take actions against managers who openly prefer men!

A company with a real buzz... but perhaps not the best employer for women

Current Employee - Mid-Level Manager in London, England
    Current Employee - Mid-Level Manager in London, England

I have been working at Expedia full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

You'll never have a boring day at Expedia - the company is extremely agile and there is always more work than there are hours in the day. If you want a job where you can relax safely within your comfort zone, this isn't the right employer for you - but if you thrive on change and enjoy new challenges, you'll love Expedia.

Leadership is generally good and seems to make a real effort to keep staff up to date on developments and strategy. There are a lot of type A personalities, so be prepared for a degree of competition and infighting - but in 99% of cases, this drives the business forward and helps to create the buzz that makes Expedia so successful.

The company is also one of the most diverse I have ever worked for. A typical meeting will be attended by staff from 5-6 countries, all with competely different backgrounds. The diversity means that you can pretty much be yourself in the workplace - everyone is different and accepts difference in others!

Pay and benefits are both very generous - there is a flexible benefits system where you can choose what to spend your 'benefits allowance' on, so benefits are tailored to individual needs. This is fabulous.

Cons

Within the Retail organisation, there is a distinct lack of women in senior positions. There are plenty of fabulous, ambitious women in the business, but I feel that many of them are sidelined during pregnancy or forgotten about while on maternity leave. This really has to change - I don't think that leadership is fully aware, yet it is a frequent topic of conversation among female staff.

Another concern is the fact that most staff feel that the one sure way to get promoted is to socialise with the leadership team. It seems wrong that only those who party hard with that group are considered for promotion, while others are overlooked. This also puts women at a disadvantage - those with young families or longer-than-average commutes struggle to join in.

Training could be better - there are not too many opportunities for mid-level managers to enhance their skills.

Pay more attention to how women feel at Expedia. There has been much grumbling about the lack of opportunities for female employees recently and I don't think leadership is aware of this.

Expedia Response

Sep 16, 2014HR

Thank you for your comments. We are always looking for insight into our employee experience. On the comments about women in senior roles, we’re committed to supporting women in leadership positions ... More

Multi-cultural, multi-disciplinary, diverse and exciting - but not much support for encouraging a good work/life balance

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England

I have been working at Expedia full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Expedia is the most fascinating and diverse place I've worked, my daily work brings me into contact with employees all over the world from whom I have learned (and am still learning every day) so much about the world we live in, about how people buy travel, and learning new skills from many different specialist in many different areas. The culture is friendly and helpful - you feel like you can approach anyone, even senior management, and find out whatever you need to know. Generally, the work ethic and atmosphere serves to encourage and develop you and those around you.

Cons

Things change frequently with the org structure - a reflection of the changing and challenging market, but also a 'no let up' approach from management. This, coupled with working with people all around the globe can lead to burn out if you're not careful - taking calls from ridiculously early in the morning to very late at night, just to be able to get that bit of information you're after in order to keep afloat in the job. Upper management may not look out for you on that score - so personal resilience is key in order to look out for yourself yet still manage to drive the results necessary in your role. There's an underlying feeling of 'don't expect to be able to move to part-time hours and expect to keep your career prospects' - could be particularly challenging if you are a new mum.

More support to work flexibly and be able to balance work/life a little better would be beneficial - more development and training, and more emphasis on reward would bolster morale and help prevent burnout.

Great benefits, but lots of politics and "who you know" mentality

Current Employee - Senior Manager in London, England
    Current Employee - Senior Manager in London, England

I have been working at Expedia full-time (more than an year)

Pros

If you love travel and love working in a place where you help people find their dream vacation, this is the place for you. Most people here are exceedingly interested in travel itself and most have an obsession with either finding the best deals or travel hacking. The benefits are great as well... Discounts, travel reimbursements and working with bright colleagues across the world make it a great place to meet interesting people across the globe.

Cons

Constant re-orgs both in London and in the Bellevue office prevent any really innovative work from being done. This also brings about a lot of political backstabbing and gesturing. I don't think I've ever worked in a place where people gesture for the work but never do anything about it. It's more about territory building than it is about actually getting things done. Insecure and inadequate senior managers abound, brought upward more because of who they know then what they know, and more so being at the right place at the right time than actually being qualified or actually knowing enough to derive strategies to lead their teams. No clear goals and poorly formed incentives drive poor performance and lack of interest to innovate and help the business actually move forward.

Bureaucracy leading to missed opportunities

Former Employee - Senior Manager in London, England
    Former Employee - Senior Manager in London, England

I worked at Expedia full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The company does a good job of recruiting bright people (70-80% are top notch. The rest can be quite poor, but this is due to the working model. Smart people decide, "tools" execute). Relative to most employers they treat employees quite well, though they don't stack up as well against top-tier technology companies.
    Offices in Bellevue and London are top notch. Very pleasant physical workplaces.

Cons

-Promotions seem tilted towards ex-consultant heavy strategy groups.
    -Entire teams made for "strategy" made up of ex-consultants that don't actually add much to the business. The operating model seems to be to reduce the highly skilled, highly educated other functions to be their tools.
    -Bureaucracy runs rampant. Simple things take days and this prevents valuable, value-added work from being done.
    -Enough already with the powerpoint and long-term plans. These sound good on paper but have become nothing more than an echo chamber and an excuse to keep loads of people in meeting rooms for hours each day. Pick a strategy, execute on it. There's no need to make such detailed plans when you are just guessing

-Less ex-consultants.
    -Dump the teams who exist only to "decide" things. They don't have domain knowledge and end up gumming up process and hurting morale.
    -Less overhead, more actual execution

never ending learning adventure

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England

I have been working at Expedia full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The best, most intense and interesting learning experience ever. The moment you know what you do and start wearing your hat in a cosy way, something is bound to change and kick you out of that comfort zone into new challenge. Every day I come to a different work. Challenging, rewarding, crazy fast-paced, great for learning and development if you raise your hand and and are proactive about it. No one will offer you opportunity just because you sit at your desk and look fabulous. Not even because you are fabulous at what you do. You need to keep volunteering to take the extra work and help with another project and create your own chance to learn. No classrooms needed. Just tons of proactive attitude and willingness to try new things.

Cons

You have to perform outside of the standard scope of your duties to be promoted to the level you would have operated at for while beforehand. "Prove you can do it" approach