Expedia Reviews

Updated 19 September 2014
3.6

Expedia President and CEO Dara Khosrowshahi
Dara Khosrowshahi

Pros
  • The company is really a fun place to work and embraces a great work life balance (in 117 reviews)

• Benefits include travel benefits and co-workers love to talk about travelling (in 60 reviews)

Cons
  • work/ life balance *might* make up for this when compared to some companies (in 36 reviews)

• Without close personal relationships to senior management you will hit a ceiling in your development (in 31 reviews)

More Highlights

A company with a real buzz... but perhaps not the best employer for women

Current Employee - Mid-Level Manager  in  London, England
    Current Employee - Mid-Level Manager in London, England

I have been working at Expedia full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

You'll never have a boring day at Expedia - the company is extremely agile and there is always more work than there are hours in the day. If you want a job where you can relax safely within your comfort zone, this isn't the right employer for you - but if you thrive on change and enjoy new challenges, you'll love Expedia.

Leadership is generally good and seems to make a real effort to keep staff up to date on developments and strategy. There are a lot of type A personalities, so be prepared for a degree of competition and infighting - but in 99% of cases, this drives the business forward and helps to create the buzz that makes Expedia so successful.

The company is also one of the most diverse I have ever worked for. A typical meeting will be attended by staff from 5-6 countries, all with competely different backgrounds. The diversity means that you can pretty much be yourself in the workplace - everyone is different and accepts difference in others!

Pay and benefits are both very generous - there is a flexible benefits system where you can choose what to spend your 'benefits allowance' on, so benefits are tailored to individual needs. This is fabulous.

Cons

Within the Retail organisation, there is a distinct lack of women in senior positions. There are plenty of fabulous, ambitious women in the business, but I feel that many of them are sidelined during pregnancy or forgotten about while on maternity leave. This really has to change - I don't think that leadership is fully aware, yet it is a frequent topic of conversation among female staff.

Another concern is the fact that most staff feel that the one sure way to get promoted is to socialise with the leadership team. It seems wrong that only those who party hard with that group are considered for promotion, while others are overlooked. This also puts women at a disadvantage - those with young families or longer-than-average commutes struggle to join in.

Training could be better - there are not too many opportunities for mid-level managers to enhance their skills.

Pay more attention to how women feel at Expedia. There has been much grumbling about the lack of opportunities for female employees recently and I don't think leadership is aware of this.

Expedia Response

Sep 16, 2014HR

Thank you for your comments. We are always looking for insight into our employee experience. On the comments about women in senior roles, we’re committed to supporting women in leadership positions ... More

Multi-cultural, multi-disciplinary, diverse and exciting - but not much support for encouraging a good work/life balance

I have been working at Expedia full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Expedia is the most fascinating and diverse place I've worked, my daily work brings me into contact with employees all over the world from whom I have learned (and am still learning every day) so much about the world we live in, about how people buy travel, and learning new skills from many different specialist in many different areas. The culture is friendly and helpful - you feel like you can approach anyone, even senior management, and find out whatever you need to know. Generally, the work ethic and atmosphere serves to encourage and develop you and those around you.

Cons

Things change frequently with the org structure - a reflection of the changing and challenging market, but also a 'no let up' approach from management. This, coupled with working with people all around the globe can lead to burn out if you're not careful - taking calls from ridiculously early in the morning to very late at night, just to be able to get that bit of information you're after in order to keep afloat in the job. Upper management may not look out for you on that score - so personal resilience is key in order to look out for yourself yet still manage to drive the results necessary in your role. There's an underlying feeling of 'don't expect to be able to move to part-time hours and expect to keep your career prospects' - could be particularly challenging if you are a new mum.

More support to work flexibly and be able to balance work/life a little better would be beneficial - more development and training, and more emphasis on reward would bolster morale and help prevent burnout.

Bureaucracy leading to missed opportunities

Former Employee - Senior Manager  in  London, England
    Former Employee - Senior Manager in London, England

I worked at Expedia full-time for more than a year

Pros

The company does a good job of recruiting bright people (70-80% are top notch. The rest can be quite poor, but this is due to the working model. Smart people decide, "tools" execute). Relative to most employers they treat employees quite well, though they don't stack up as well against top-tier technology companies.
    Offices in Bellevue and London are top notch. Very pleasant physical workplaces.

Cons

-Promotions seem tilted towards ex-consultant heavy strategy groups.
    -Entire teams made for "strategy" made up of ex-consultants that don't actually add much to the business. The operating model seems to be to reduce the highly skilled, highly educated other functions to be their tools.
    -Bureaucracy runs rampant. Simple things take days and this prevents valuable, value-added work from being done.
    -Enough already with the powerpoint and long-term plans. These sound good on paper but have become nothing more than an echo chamber and an excuse to keep loads of people in meeting rooms for hours each day. Pick a strategy, execute on it. There's no need to make such detailed plans when you are just guessing

-Less ex-consultants.
    -Dump the teams who exist only to "decide" things. They don't have domain knowledge and end up gumming up process and hurting morale.
    -Less overhead, more actual execution

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

never ending learning adventure

I have been working at Expedia full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

The best, most intense and interesting learning experience ever. The moment you know what you do and start wearing your hat in a cosy way, something is bound to change and kick you out of that comfort zone into new challenge. Every day I come to a different work. Challenging, rewarding, crazy fast-paced, great for learning and development if you raise your hand and and are proactive about it. No one will offer you opportunity just because you sit at your desk and look fabulous. Not even because you are fabulous at what you do. You need to keep volunteering to take the extra work and help with another project and create your own chance to learn. No classrooms needed. Just tons of proactive attitude and willingness to try new things.

Cons

You have to perform outside of the standard scope of your duties to be promoted to the level you would have operated at for while beforehand. "Prove you can do it" approach

A great learning experience

Former Employee - Senior Account Manager  in  London, England
    Former Employee - Senior Account Manager in London, England

I worked at Expedia full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Bright people, great offices and some exciting opportunities. Good package.

Cons

Very political and too many restructuring/re-org:s which is unsettling. One day you are in the right team and then the politics change and you are suddenly in "the wrong team" and worry about being the next one be out the door in a reorg. Probably not the best place for women.

Lacks culture

Former Employee - Online Marketing Manager  in  London, England
    Former Employee - Online Marketing Manager in London, England

I worked at Expedia full-time for more than a year

Pros

Undoubtedly, the marketing budgets are huge. The office is smart like a googleplex. Strategy is aggressive and salaries are very competitive, with good benefits like car allowance and full family healthcare. Plust travel discounts for personal travel. And a lot of business travel depending on the division and team.

Cons

The company is too large and there's no culture embedded in the daily work. It lacks a passionate leader. The centre of power is the US headquarters. Any other offices lack political power and depend on what takes place outside their region. VPs and Senior Directors move around and get fired too often - a bad message from the top management. It doesn't inspire confidence.

Work for your employees and customers - not for the shareholders.

Decent place to be if you can get a full term contract.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England

I have been working at Expedia full-time for more than a year

Pros

The London office is brilliant compared to other places I've worked at; how could it not be with as many free cokes as you want and a roof terrace to look out over London with a bit of lunch? I've also found that if you really apply yourself there are opportunities to move on and up within the company - my initial contract was a third party, 6 month one and now I'm on a contract without a specified end date. I haven't come across any office bullies or anyone who's into being an spiteful/rude for the sake of it so far, which makes getting through the day fairly easy. The fact I can have my headphones in unless making phone calls helps, too.

Cons

When you work on content it can be frustrating that the company ethos is pretty fixed on the use of technology. Try to get some variation into the work you're doing or you'll hear every tick and tock from your watch. The main problem, though, is that anyone on a normal contract has to leave for at least 6 weeks after 2 years of continuous employment with the company. I think it's some sort of workaround for them to avoid having to give people full employees' rights, but whatever the reason they've lost a lot of good people because of it.

I really think the 2 year contract business seriously needs to be looked into.

Great company to work for

Current Employee - Localization Quality Manager  in  London, England
    Current Employee - Localization Quality Manager in London, England

I have been working at Expedia full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

very good work/family life balance

Cons

leass opportunities to move up in my career

Extremely innovative and great atmosphere

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  London, England
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England

I worked at Expedia full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The team atmosphere is great and everyone works together, people just help eachother out all the time. Also there are no internal hierarchies, everyone treats everyone the same way. They are really innovative and try to improve their processes ALL THE TIME. Everyone is really nice and super creative, and you get praised and compensated all the time.

Cons

As in any big company, I guess the amount of work is sometimes a little bit too much, although you always get rewarded for it one way or another.

Nothing to suggest really, all managers I had were really nice and super flexible.

The culture here is exceptional.

Current Employee - Senior Director, Global Learning Organisation  in  London, England
    Current Employee - Senior Director, Global Learning Organisation in London, England

I have been working at Expedia full-time for less than a year

Pros

Expedia take the time to recruit like minded professional people. That means there is a great culture when you start. There is trust that you will deliver and it's the most high performing culture I have been a part of (and I used to work for Apple!) The sentiment of "hire great people and get out of their way" is totally understood. I have freedom to deliver exceptional work here.

Cons

Honestly, I have been here for nearly a year and struggle to honestly find any cons.

More opportunities for leadership teams to meet and share & network (not just the women!).

Worked for Expedia? Contribute to the Community!