Expedia Reviews

Updated 27 August 2014

3.6

Expedia President and CEO Dara Khosrowshahi
Dara Khosrowshahi

Pros
  • The company is really a fun place to work and embraces a great work life balance (in 117 reviews)

• Benefits include travel benefits and co-workers love to talk about travelling (in 60 reviews)

Cons
  • work/ life balance *might* make up for this when compared to some companies (in 36 reviews)

• Without close personal relationships to senior management you will hit a ceiling in your development (in 31 reviews)

More Highlights

never ending learning adventure

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  London, England
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England

I have been working at Expedia full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

The best, most intense and interesting learning experience ever. The moment you know what you do and start wearing your hat in a cosy way, something is bound to change and kick you out of that comfort zone into new challenge. Every day I come to a different work. Challenging, rewarding, crazy fast-paced, great for learning and development if you raise your hand and and are proactive about it. No one will offer you opportunity just because you sit at your desk and look fabulous. Not even because you are fabulous at what you do. You need to keep volunteering to take the extra work and help with another project and create your own chance to learn. No classrooms needed. Just tons of proactive attitude and willingness to try new things.

Cons

You have to perform outside of the standard scope of your duties to be promoted to the level you would have operated at for while beforehand. "Prove you can do it" approach

A great learning experience

Former Employee - Senior Account Manager  in  London, England
    Former Employee - Senior Account Manager in London, England

I worked at Expedia full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Bright people, great offices and some exciting opportunities. Good package.

Cons

Very political and too many restructuring/re-org:s which is unsettling. One day you are in the right team and then the politics change and you are suddenly in "the wrong team" and worry about being the next one be out the door in a reorg. Probably not the best place for women.

Decent place to be if you can get a full term contract.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  London, England
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England

I have been working at Expedia full-time for more than a year

Pros

The London office is brilliant compared to other places I've worked at; how could it not be with as many free cokes as you want and a roof terrace to look out over London with a bit of lunch? I've also found that if you really apply yourself there are opportunities to move on and up within the company - my initial contract was a third party, 6 month one and now I'm on a contract without a specified end date. I haven't come across any office bullies or anyone who's into being an spiteful/rude for the sake of it so far, which makes getting through the day fairly easy. The fact I can have my headphones in unless making phone calls helps, too.

Cons

When you work on content it can be frustrating that the company ethos is pretty fixed on the use of technology. Try to get some variation into the work you're doing or you'll hear every tick and tock from your watch. The main problem, though, is that anyone on a normal contract has to leave for at least 6 weeks after 2 years of continuous employment with the company. I think it's some sort of workaround for them to avoid having to give people full employees' rights, but whatever the reason they've lost a lot of good people because of it.

I really think the 2 year contract business seriously needs to be looked into.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great company to work for

Current Employee - Localization Quality Manager  in  London, England
    Current Employee - Localization Quality Manager in London, England

I have been working at Expedia full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

very good work/family life balance

Cons

leass opportunities to move up in my career

Extremely innovative and great atmosphere

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  London, England
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England

I worked at Expedia full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The team atmosphere is great and everyone works together, people just help eachother out all the time. Also there are no internal hierarchies, everyone treats everyone the same way. They are really innovative and try to improve their processes ALL THE TIME. Everyone is really nice and super creative, and you get praised and compensated all the time.

Cons

As in any big company, I guess the amount of work is sometimes a little bit too much, although you always get rewarded for it one way or another.

Nothing to suggest really, all managers I had were really nice and super flexible.

All good

Current Employee - Senor Director  in  London, England
    Current Employee - Senor Director in London, England

I have been working at Expedia full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

money security is important and offers you good comp plan vs, others companies.

Cons

Political, very political. Moves very slowly

The worse work experience I ever had

Former Employee - Web Content Coordinator  in  London, England
    Former Employee - Web Content Coordinator in London, England

I worked at Expedia full-time for less than a year

Pros

As a temp, I had a good salary, and never had to do extra hours, always leaving at 5.30pm. The monthly drinks were nice. Expedia was my first job as a foreigner in London and launched my career in tourism.

Cons

Because I was a temp, I had to be paid through an umbrella, following multiple problems (never paid on-time, manager forgetting hours, etc. I had to fight for 2 months to get my money back, around £1,500). I was asked to do quantity - the quality being the worse I've ever seen. The management was terrible, people were arrogant and the opportunity of evolving non-existing. Processes are too strict and have to be followed in every single case even though it is often absurd.
    Employement conditions are terrible - my contract was a trick for getting the most of it without any respect, my binomes were employed in Manilla, had to work at night in a cellar. I was made redundant because Expedia decided to relocate to Greece, offering half of my salary to unskilled people (I was hired for doing French content, they hired non native French there), for working in terrible conditions (non air con, 10h work per day, 15min lunch break, etc.).

Read above and learn from your mistakes: respect people.

Lacks culture

Former Employee - Online Marketing Manager  in  London, England
    Former Employee - Online Marketing Manager in London, England

I worked at Expedia full-time for more than a year

Pros

Undoubtedly, the marketing budgets are huge. The office is smart like a googleplex. Strategy is aggressive and salaries are very competitive, with good benefits like car allowance and full family healthcare. Plust travel discounts for personal travel. And a lot of business travel depending on the division and team.

Cons

The company is too large and there's no culture embedded in the daily work. It lacks a passionate leader. The centre of power is the US headquarters. Any other offices lack political power and depend on what takes place outside their region. VPs and Senior Directors move around and get fired too often - a bad message from the top management. It doesn't inspire confidence.

Work for your employees and customers - not for the shareholders.

Great company but career progression is slow and unbalanced across the org

Current Employee - Administrative  in  London, England
    Current Employee - Administrative in London, England

I have been working at Expedia full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great offices, travel discounts, high level leadership good, social young staff, work hard play hard attitude.

Cons

Slow progression in some teams, the company should try to develop more internal up and coming members of the team rather than hire externals. Salary increases are very low which in some cases force people to leave in order to get a jump in base (often just to match your roles market value). Change management poor and rushed.

There has been a lot of attrition and change recently but management should ensure that the culture does not change with that.

The culture here is exceptional.

Current Employee - Senior Director, Global Learning Organisation  in  London, England
    Current Employee - Senior Director, Global Learning Organisation in London, England

I have been working at Expedia full-time for less than a year

Pros

Expedia take the time to recruit like minded professional people. That means there is a great culture when you start. There is trust that you will deliver and it's the most high performing culture I have been a part of (and I used to work for Apple!) The sentiment of "hire great people and get out of their way" is totally understood. I have freedom to deliver exceptional work here.

Cons

Honestly, I have been here for nearly a year and struggle to honestly find any cons.

More opportunities for leadership teams to meet and share & network (not just the women!).

Worked for Expedia? Contribute to the Community!