Express

Updated 22 November 2014
3.1

Express President & CEO Michael A. Weiss
Michael A. Weiss

Pros
  • Semi-decent discount on product when there is an additional employee discount (in 55 reviews)

• Great discount, fun fast paced environment, diverse group, great rewards for top performers (in 54 reviews)

Cons
  • I don't like minimum wage and sometimes it can get really hectic with customers (in 73 reviews)

• Work Life Balance: Don't expect to take lunch and dont expect to be home in time for dinner (in 25 reviews)

More Highlights

Love this company, and am most definitely in LOVE with my job.

Current Employee - Sales Associate- Stylist in Bloomington, MN (US)
    Current Employee - Sales Associate- Stylist in Bloomington, MN (US)

I have been working at Express part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Express does a great job of taking time to train in associates. They schedule time to teach the new associates about the brand as well as time to go over the ins and outs all of the top selling merchandise in the store so they will be knowledgeable about the product they are going to be selling. At express, they really do make sure the new associates are confident before ever hitting the sales floor and starting to work with customers. Probably one of the biggest pros for me working at express has to be the work environment. My work environment at express is so positive and fun and energetic that unlike at any other of my past jobs I can honestly say I look forward to going into work and I love being at work. I have made sooo many friends working at express and whats better than working all week with people you love! Express is not the type of company where people are stepping on each others feet to get ahead. At Express, people are friendly and supportive. We work together to be successful and we know that the only way we are going to be successful is by working as a team. And of course there is the associate discount. You get 30% off and that is on top of sales as well, so if something is already 40% off you'd get 40% off and than additional 30% off which is definitely a plus. We also have double discount weekends where we receive a greater discount on our purchases. Another huge pro for me working for Express is the ability to grow and move up in the company. They allow and encourage you to try new things whether it be a floor set or styling customers in the fitting rooms. Within a year I promoted to working as an associate for small location to being moved to a top 100 store as a stylist! Along with the promotion if you are working hard and doing good things for the company and for the store it can lead to raises. I believe over my time at Express (about a year and a half) I've received 3 raises. The management team at express continued to invest into me while working at the top 100 store and I became part of their A.I.M program (Associates interested in management), where you meet once or twice a month and learn about how to become a stronger leader in the workplace and such. I have yet to feel bored or "stuck" at work. There is always room to grow and improve and I just love the support the management provided when it comes to growing and moving up in the company. I really could not say enough good things about this company.

Cons

It's retail. Like any other retail job you will be working some late nights especially when it comes to the holiday season. At my store we close at 9:30. It's only the start of november and I'm already having some closes where I'm staying there till midnight. Also, you will be working many holidays and weekends due to the fact that those are huge high traffic times for the stores. Another thing I've come across working at express that you are bound to come across working any type of retail is the angry and rude customers. You really need to be strong in customer service to work at express and be able to "keep your cool" while working with difficult customers which I admit can sometimes be very tricky. The starting pay at Express isn't exactly ideal, being pretty close to minimum wage, but as I was saying before there are raises for those who are working hard and doing good things within the store. Even after the raises, I believe I am a little underpaid or I should say I believe I could be making more elsewhere. However, I have chosen to stay with Express and not look elsewhere do to the fact that I do truly LOVE my job and love the people I work with and I feel very blessed and lucky to be able to say that. And to me personally I rather have a job I love going to everyday and make a little less, than make a little more and be stuck working at a job I don't enjoy or working for a company I am not as passionate about.

One piece of advice to management would be to schedule time to sit down with associates and discuss their performance and growth. At express I know we do the associate performance reviews and what not but the results of those are usually a 2 minute discussion at the end of your shift and that's that. I believe during my year and a half at express, I've only had a review done on me probably 3 maybe 4 times and thats total for both stores I was working at. I would really like to be able to see where I am at, what management feels I could improve on and be given some direction on what I need to be striving for in order to be moved up.

It has made me become more open to customers.

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Baton Rouge, LA (US)
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Baton Rouge, LA (US)

I have been working at Express part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Never boring, laugh all the time, get to know different people.

Cons

Don't give me as much hours and treat me differently, because i'm the youngest one there.

Sales Associate

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Atlanta, GA (US)
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Atlanta, GA (US)

I worked at Express part-time (less than an year)

Pros

The other employees and managers were fun to work with. The clothes are amazing. Customers were nice.

Cons

The pay starts out as min wage. And hours are part time

Management was the best

Pretty Awesome Part Time Job

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Calgary, AB (Canada)
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Calgary, AB (Canada)

I have been working at Express part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Decent base pay, people are nice, clothing is cool, hours are low-stress and flexible for a student like me

Cons

More hours would be nice

One of the best places to grow

Current Employee - Part Time Sales Lead in Chicago Ridge, IL (US)
    Current Employee - Part Time Sales Lead in Chicago Ridge, IL (US)

I have been working at Express part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

There are so many. I love the people I work/worked. They have become a part of my life and they have taught me a lot. The fast pace work environment keeps me on my toes. There are even some customers I love. The regular shoppers that make work easier and peaceful are the best. Helping them find new items and making outfits can be fun. Plus the discount doesn't hurt.

Cons

As retail is known for you have a large amount of cons. The rude customers are going to be at the top of the list. It's always going to happen but you have to keep calm and carry on. Literally. Another con can be the hour flux. One week you may have some hours another week a ton. As long as you work hard to keep your store positive the hours will come. Promotions do take some time. Unfortunate you have to put yourself out there and make sure the higher managers approve of your loyalty then rather your work ethics. Raises should be more then twenty five cents per year. Also starting off at minimum wage.

When making promises of moving up make sure you follow through.

Store Sales associate

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Paramus, NJ (US)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Paramus, NJ (US)

I worked at Express part-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Corporate isn't what made my store, it was the manager. Joyce, is amazing and truly a one of a kind manager with amazing heart and drive.

Cons

Hours, corporate doesn't necessarily focus on the mantra Happy Employees make Happy life. Also found out my friends now have to work thanksgiving day since the store will be open. NOT COOL!

Joyce keep going Your awesome!

I was there over 20 years! Great company to have a career with.

I worked at Express full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Recognition and advancement with proven results.
    Good benefits including health , savings and retirement, and stock options.

Cons

Not always up to date on the latest and greatest regarding IT and using it to the stores full advantage.

Value your people. They are the ones making great sacrifices on a daily basis to put into action all that is expected from upper management.

very nice.

Former Employee - Model in Worcester, MA (US)
    Former Employee - Model in Worcester, MA (US)

I worked at Express part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

discounts at the store were nice.

Cons

Hours at the store were hard.

Ok.

Great

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Chicago, IL (US)
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Chicago, IL (US)

I have been working at Express part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Company fun and great to start a fashion career at. Coworkers are warm and friendly and management is nice. Not much to complain about.

Cons

You really have to stand out to move up in the company. You also have to purchase merchandise to wear to work. Can be costly.

Help employees focus on career development.

Good Company Overall

I have been working at Express

Pros

Great opportunities to move up

Cons

Not great work life balance

Express Photos