Express Scripts

Express Scripts Reviews

Updated Jul 25, 2014

Express Scripts Chairman & Chief Executive Officer George Paz

George Paz

Pros
  • Benefits are good and depending on your position you can work from home(in 43 reviews)

• Good benefits, instant vesting of company share of 401k match(in 35 reviews)

Cons
  • This place has no concern for work/life balance although that's what they preach(in 76 reviews)

• There is absolutely no work/life balance because they think that your job should be your(in 25 reviews)

Self-absorbed mgmt while employees tirelessly work for customers

Senior Software Engineer (Former Employee) Bloomington, MN (US)

ProsGreat pay and bonuses.
    The people in the trenches trying to help the customers are hard working and passionate.

ConsMgmt spends it's time trying to figure out how to increase their own pay, cut employee costs, and buy another company.
    Work life balance is a buzz word only. For a company that prints money the benefits (outside of pay) are weak. Just 6 holidays? Company tries to grow thru acquisition instead of improving employees and processes. Loyalty is purchased so workers burn out or get frustrated or both. Contractors are abused.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou wouldn't have such a large knowledge gap within your own systems if you spent time helping your employees. Instead of kicking down and kissing up, take responsibility for your failings and make it right. Stop blaming others.

Outgrew Exec Mgmt's capabilities

Systems Engineer (Current Employee) Saint Louis, MO (US)

ProsPay is competitive, physical work environment is nice. Legacy ESI employees are both knowledgeable & friendly to work with.

ConsBeen in the IT business for 30+ years, worked for other Fortune 50 companies and NEVER witnessed a Sr Mgmt group more in over their heads. With Sr & Exec Mgmt, "The Express Way" is simply a slogan. The "worker bees" practice the philosophy because it's basically mutual respect for fellow employees. Mgmt levels don't even begin to deploy "The Express Way" concepts.

Legacy Medco employees make it clear that those of us in the Midwest are simply just a bunch of "country Bumpkins" who have no idea what we're doing. Mgmt is not only aware of this attitude, they have witnessed it 1st hand, but refuse to correct it. Very disconnetced Mgmt from the Director level and up.

Advice to Senior Management1st and foremost, STOP relying blindly on Legacy Medco staff for advice. I've seen modern IT in action and the technology & processes being utilized on the Legacy Medco systems is severely outdated. There are numerous software pkgs in place on those systems that either have or are approaching End of Life, and of those that aren't many haven't been updated since 2005 ! The Legacy Medco philosophy has been, "if it ain't broke, leave it alone". But in today's IT environment, you CANNOT stay competitive with that attitude.

Bottomline, is that you in Exec Mgmt are being lied to by the Director/Sr Director levels in order to protect "turf". Just as was discovered with the client tier migrations that were conducted throughout 2013, the real results were NOT as rosy as the picture you were being painted.

It would be to your advantage to have the Software Vendors present you with exactly what levels you are sitting at, and stop relying on Directors with skin in the game. If you don't, you are going to find yourselves sitting in the unenviable position of broken systems that you don't have support for any longer.

Decent job until the merge with Medco

Prescription Benefits Specialist (Former Employee) Saint Louis, MO (US)

Pros401-k company match////no lay-offs during recession

ConsUpper management not concerned with promise to client companies //very poor concern to provide customers with promises after obtaining client companies//values are only impressive on paper

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement is not interested in receiving valuable advise from employees.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

All about the numbers in a lean environment

Staff Pharmacist (Former Employee) Albuquerque, NM (US)

ProsGood work hours, good opportunities for improvement, good dress code, lots of celebrations of employee productivity every month. Lots of cupcakes and pizza all the time.

ConsNo personal growth unless you want to become a pharmacist manager or supervisor. Time off is generous if a slot is open on the week or day you desire. 401K is standard with a match from employer. Flex account third party requires additional documentation ALL the time. Job is not for the faint of heart if you see a high turnover in pharmacy technicians and pharmacist supervisors ( who are techs too).

Advice to Senior ManagementHire supervisors who are built to last ( a while ). Cross train and show opportunities in different work functions as soon as available or possible.

Very pleasant work environment.

Patient Care Advocate (Former Employee) Saint Marys, GA (US)

ProsBenefits. Easy job functions. Steady work flow.

Consbeing stationary, kind of boring.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the good work

They bought my former employer (Medco), and drove them into the ditch!

Attorney (Current Employee) Franklin Lakes, NJ (US)

ProsThe work life balance was good. I rarely had to take work home with me. The pay was appropriate, and I do like the PTO bank as opposed to separate days for sick / personal, etc.

ConsIf you work out of the Franklin Lakes New Jersey facility, there is a good chance you could finish your entire career without ever feeling safe in your job. The layoffs have been stretched out over a period of years and show no signs of abating. They also LOVE to micro-manage.

Advice to Senior ManagementInvest in your employees! The ones who don't work in St. Louis want to like you, but you make it difficult by alternatively ignoring and firing them.

Pressure, politics, stress... Oh my!

Director, Account Management (Current Employee) Saint Louis, MO (US)

ProsThey pay decent, good bonus

ConsHigh stress, highly competitive environment, no appreciation for work life balance, year end performance reviews are cut throat. even if you are a high performer employees are force ranked into threshold, target and stretch ratings. So what that means is if everyone performs the same someone is still forced into threshold which means no bonus. So it basically comes down to who sucks up the most.

Advice to Senior ManagementReward for hard work, appreciate your people

Poor Work Culture

Business Systems Analyst II (Former Employee) Mason, OH (US)

ProsCompensation is about average. The normal health, vacation, and other benefits are comparable. There are possibilities for improvement.

ConsOffice culture is so much cover your behind. The mantra there seems to be to deflect, deny or disprove anything that might be considered constructive criticism. They also seem to drive their individual contributors too hard, and don't provide an adequate work-life balance.

Advice to Senior ManagementUntil the culture changes, and this company becomes more about it's member's experiences, instead of the bottom dollar, this company will likely keep losing business, unless they keep buying other PBMs.

Sweat shop

Director, Operations (Current Employee) Saint Louis, MO (US)

ProsGood people for the most part. The politics are rampant. Also, a lot of need for improving processes. You have processes stepping on each other all the time.

ConsAll "type A" personalities - if you are not one, it's hard to succeed. They work you like a dog. In January, don't expect to get a day off for several weeks.

Good Intentions, Failed Execution

Account Management (Current Employee)

ProsGood Salary, Good Benefits, Strong sense of unity, good value prop, most people who work for Express Scripts are highly skilled, and want to do well. Strong mid level leadership.

ConsSilo-ed approach to problem solving, Grown too big to adequately sustain strong customer focus. True concern for member and client experience has taken a back seat to clinical innovation and grabbing for more market share. There is a "culture of fear". Most employees are afraid to ask, tell of share, and most of the time the person who matters (leadership) is too busy to actively listen.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to your clients, and focus on making things easier for patients. A better patient experience generally means happier clients, and thus happier ESI employees. Anyone can make something complex...the challenge is to make something simple and reliable.

Worked for Express Scripts? Contribute to the Community!