Express Scripts Reviews

Updated 26 August 2014

2.1

Express Scripts Chairman & Chief Executive Officer George Paz
George Paz

Pros
  • Benefits are good and depending on your position you can work from home (in 43 reviews)

• Good benefits, instant vesting of company share of 401k match (in 35 reviews)

Cons
  • This place has no concern for work/life balance although that's what they preach (in 76 reviews)

• There is absolutely no work/life balance because they think that your job should be your (in 25 reviews)

More Highlights

Poor employee managament

Former Employee - Senior Business Analyst  in  Saint Louis, MO (US)
    Former Employee - Senior Business Analyst in Saint Louis, MO (US)

I worked at Express Scripts full-time for more than a year

Pros

Its a fast and rapid pace work environment - get it done is the norm here. Plenty of projects with lots of work and deadlines throughout the organization. Lots of smart people.

Cons

Organization is not really employee focused and the culture treats employees as dispensable. The employee attrition and churn are extremely high and there is not long term focus on personal growth.

Better employee management program.

Turning the Page

Current Employee - Project Manager  in  Saint Louis, MO (US)
    Current Employee - Project Manager in Saint Louis, MO (US)

I have been working at Express Scripts full-time for less than a year

Pros

The benefits are great and extensive. The salary ranges are very competitive and they are willing to negotiate with you to remain flexible within reasonable expectations.

The culture is innovative, forward-thinking, fast-paced (seriously...it is), and open-minded. All of my previous employers acted like they valued your opinion or suggestion to improve a process, but ESI really does take it into consideration all the way up the chain before a decision is made. You have a voice here, and that's really impressed me. A plus is that the whole entire campus is brand new (2007 and newer) and state-of-the-art.

Never a dull moment or shortage of work to do. On that note, outside people hear a lot about work-life imbalance at ESI, but I just don't see that. Every single person here pulls their own weight in the same direction working toward a common goal, and nobody gripes about it. You can see people genuinely care about their work, and it's shown objectively when just about everyone regularly hits 100% or more of their annual bonus plan. I don't know about you, but I'd rather HAVE work to do than sit at my desk all day and have nothing to do (been there before, it's miserable). A lot of the mixed reviews I see are from the frustration of the constant integrating and merging of newly acquired companies' employees and processes, which is understandable, but the focus is definitely changing to efficiency and making work/life easier. I believe if there is a work-life imbalance that it is silo'd into certain departments, but it's certainly not a company-wide issue.

Cons

Not really any glaring Cons, I just think people need to socialize a little more. Everyone works hard and has the go-go-go mentality, but it wouldn't hurt to loosen up and have a little fun here and there.

Keep the company, your departments, and your leaders in the loop as to what's coming down the chute, it helps build annual goals and keep them in check. Create opportunities for employees and the culture to loosen up and take their foot off the gas pedal every once in awhile.

Challenging Work

I have been working at Express Scripts full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

There's an environment here that provides you a lot of opportunity to grow your role. There's also a lot of internal movement and sharing of talent.

Cons

There is a lot of work but I find it rewarding.

Connect with your employees personally and encourage them to take appropriate chances

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Too big, too fast

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Tampa, FL (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tampa, FL (US)

I have been working at Express Scripts full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Reasonable pay. Nice facility. Comfortable and ergonomic workstations. The Tampa location in an old mall has convenient access to child care, food court, and fitness center.

Cons

The company let too much of the experienced management go. Inexperienced supervisors are repeating mistakes that were tried years ago.
    Morale is very low.
    The Tampa site is controlled by power-hungry old women who do not seek input from their subject matter experts. Decisions are made based on a whim or what will be best for them personally - with little concern about the impact on the business.

Start thinking about the employee more and the money less or you will lose the rest of your good people.

Decent pay, limited growth potential

Current Employee - Anonymous
    Current Employee - Anonymous

I have been working at Express Scripts full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Wage, travel, work atmosphere, making a difference in people's lives

Cons

Little chance to advance, poor work/home balance, outdated and poor computer systens and programs.

To advance, its not what you know, but whom you know. That is not the way to build a strong employee base.

Prescription Benefits Specialist

Current Employee - Pharmacy Benefits Specialist  in  Mason, OH (US)
    Current Employee - Pharmacy Benefits Specialist in Mason, OH (US)

I have been working at Express Scripts full-time for more than a year

Pros

Pay, hrs, possibility of getting off phones by volunteering to assist new hires and other peers.

Cons

Working blended. On phone nonstop. Work life balance.

Work life balance / 4 -10 hr shifts with 3 days off ( at least one day being a week day to get Dr's appointments an other errands that can't be done on weekends.

Great company, lots of challenging positions

Current Employee - Account Manager  in  Saint Louis, MO (US)
    Current Employee - Account Manager in Saint Louis, MO (US)

I have been working at Express Scripts full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

nice buildings, close to UMSL,

Cons

.in the ghetto, stressful environment

IT Intern

Current Employee - IT Intern
    Current Employee - IT Intern

I have been working at Express Scripts as an intern for less than a year

Pros

Fantastic opportunities within Express Scripts to get to learn more about "the real world". The company works very hard to make interns feel as important, if not more important, than regular full-time employees. I was also able to really connect with my team in a way that will impact my life forever. I have learned so much, and had the amazing opportunity to learn IT from some of the best in the business. Pay is very good for interns (roughly 17 dollars for corporate employees, since cost of living is high in NJ and MO).

Cons

HR is very hard to work with. Everything takes a long time to go through the process, and in IT specifically, no body on site has administrator privileges, so installing team-specific software is very difficult. Also, the hiring process for interns to become full-time employees is very difficult. It's been two weeks, and no body knows anything about their results from the "calibration".

Make HR faster, offer more job opportunities to bring in fresh talent

Overall ok experience

I worked at Express Scripts full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Servicing Patients is very rewarding.

Cons

Work life balance is poor

Need to focus on your People as a key constituent

Not bad, very different culture than what I was use to at Medco.

I have been working at Express Scripts full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Great commute, great pay (previously from Medco).

Cons

Feel like St Louis staff has it out for you for making so much more money because we are from the east.

It's not normal to lose so many VP's and Sr. Directors in IT when you are a Fortune 20 company. Time for a new CIO and CEO.

Worked for Express Scripts? Contribute to the Community!