Express Scripts

Express Scripts Reviews

Updated Apr 17, 2014

Express Scripts Chairman, President, and CEO George Paz

George Paz

Pros:
  • "You have the ability to work from home or anywhere, even on vacation"
    in 34 reviews
  • "Good benefits, instant vesting of company share of 401k match"
    in 31 reviews
Cons:
  • "Work life balance is the biggest issue for most people since there is none"
    in 56 reviews
  • "There is absolutely no work/life balance because they think that your job should be your"
    in 19 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

A downward spiral in every way

Might As Well BE Peon (Current Employee)

I have been working at Express Scripts full-time for more than 8 years

Pros401k match and employee stock purchasing plan are above average. Depending on which department you work in, you may have remote access and the ability to work from home. I have made some wonderful friends in my time with ESI and I have a great team that I work with.

ConsESI is a culture of passing the buck, going for the cheapest solution even if it isn't the right solution, expecting 110% devotion to your job above all else and allowing favoritism to determine your advancement.

There is no accountability unless you are low man on the totem pole, in which case everything is your fault and you are expected to fix everything even when you aren't provided the systems or permissions to do so.

Team members are constantly pitted against each other due to how reviews are done where someone has to be rated below threshold even when all team members have performed well.

The entire merger has been a disaster. Migrating clients to a system that isn't supported well and doesn't offer anywhere close to the flexibility of our old system has made for frustration and animosity between Legacy Medco employees and Legacy ESI employees. Customers are less than happy with all of it as well, but upper management continues to act like this merger has been perfect and anyone who says differently is labeled as not being a team player and has their lives made very difficult.

Every person I work with is expected to do what equates to at least 2 people's jobs (except the "favorites" who get away with doing next to nothing and spending large portions of their day BS-ing with management). Pay does not reflect the added responsibilities. Extended hours are just expected for salaried employees including weekends, holidays and even when they are technically on vacation or on PTO. For hourly employees, overtime is not allowed (in my area), yet all work is still expected to be done in the allotted 40 hours when realistically there is 50 or more hours of work per week assigned. Hourly employees are bullied about even minutes of OT. Stress levels are ridiculous and I personally know of 4 co-workers who have gone on either anti-depressants or anti-anxiety medications within the last year because of ESI.

When you somehow manage to succeed and meet the ridiculous expectations, you are not rewarded or promoted...you are given more work and maybe an "atta boy" or "atta girl" if you are lucky. If you complain about any of the workload, you are none too subtly told that you are replaceable and that you should be grateful you even have a job. (references to the Legacy Medco employees who have been let go are not uncommon when complaints are voiced)

Speaking of which, the constant threat of being "laid off" if you don't kill yourself to meet the unreasonable expectations has fostered a community that lives in fear of making a mistake or saying even the smallest of things that can be taken as not toeing the company line. Since nobody wants their name attached to even the smallest mistake, nobody is willing to take any responsibility for anything, make any decisions that may elicit change of any kind or speak up when they see something being done wrong. Finger pointing, passing the buck and throwing your co-workers under the bus has almost become company policy when something goes wrong.

The pathetic attempts by ESI to show they appreciate their employees are just that...pathetic. I don't want free cupcakes or donuts every other month during a 2 hour window where you have to go down to the lunchroom area and wait in line to get said cupcake. I don't want a $1 store keychain flashlight that stops working within days. I don't want another cheap backpack or coffee mug with ESI blazoned all over it. I don't care that you dedicate a day each month to wearing our favorite sports team's shirt. that doesn't tell me ESI appreciates me. It tells me that they have no clue about what it means to really appreciate their employees or show them even the slightest respect. It is borderline insulting as I feel it treats me like a small child who can be distracted away from all of the horrible mess that ESI has become by a sugary treat or cheap item thrown my way every now and again.

Seeing the huge bonuses that George Paz has gotten the last few years as well as his overall compensation package makes me feel sick. During that same time period I have been told "no bonuses this year because of the merger", "we can only offer up to a 3% raise because according to market research, we've been overpaying our employees and this should bring salaries back in line with the average" and "our budget can't support promoting anyone in the department". Really? Because Mr.Paz and upper management don't seem to have trouble finding it in the budget to give themselves pay raises and bonuses every year. Why is it only us peons that have to give up compensation during a merger or budget crunch? Oh. that's right. It's because we don't matter to upper management. We are that gunk stuck to the bottom of their shoe that they can't be bothered to scrape off, but certainly don't acknowledge as anything worthwhile.

And on the subject of Mr.Paz, I really do not care for the emails he sends out telling us how we should be voting on certain issues when they come up on the ballot or to call our Congressman or State Legislators and tell them to vote a certain way on issues. Just because that ballot item may be good for ESI, that doesn't mean that it is good for me and my family or reflect my own personal beliefs. Stop trying to push me to vote in a certain way!

There is no such thing as a work/life balance at ESI. If you attempt to maintain a life outside of your job, you are quickly relegated to the sidelines and you have no hope of ever advancing or being taken seriously.

Advice to Senior ManagementWe need genuine fixes and not continual band aids on everything. Spend the money and get it done right instead of cutting corners to save some cash and ending up with systems that don't work, programs that make no sense or are unusable and employees who are burnt out from being on "red status" about everything all the time. Live up to the same Code of Conduct and expectations that you have for all of us in the trenches. respect your employees and treat us as human beings instead of nameless, faceless automatons that you will use and abuse until we break.things weren't always like this at ESI, I know, I was there when it wasn't so bad.

Fast paced but politics got in the way

Senior Manager - IT (Current Employee)

I have been working at Express Scripts full-time for more than 10 years

ProsCompany is led by very talented individuals. Benefits are great.

ConsWork environment has turned into the old boys network. Careers for most do not exist. It is just a job. ESI has also moved many jobs to contractors or off-shore.

Advice to Senior ManagementTrust your people to be able to solve challenges. You do not always have to hear it from a consulting firm before you believe it.
Also, the results of the employee surveys are not directed at the top leadership or the front line managers. The comments and results are directed at the Sr. Director and Director levels which operate incredibly poor.

Offshore

Information Security (Former Employee)

I worked at Express Scripts full-time for more than 10 years

ProsIt's a job in the local community

ConsOffshore, laid off American workers, no communications, merger disaster

Advice to Senior ManagementShare the wealth

Overworked staff...unable to always keep promises that are made.

I worked at Express Scripts

ProsDecent work/life balance. Company does allow telecommuting. Number of days depends on the department.

ConsMany positions recently moved to exempt (salaried). Not always a bad thing, but during 4th quarter, many departments have a requirement of 15+hours of overtime weekly. This may range from September through late January. The wages have not adjusted to accommodate that demand. There have also been periods of layoffs due to recent merger with Medco.

It was a very political place to work. Overall, must be very strategic in aligining with the correct people.

I worked at Express Scripts full-time for more than 5 years

ProsWhen you're on the right team, it feels like a good place to work. You are recognized and rewarded.

ConsWork-life balance can be challenging.

Great career opportunity but comes at the expense of life/work balance

Director (Former Employee)

I worked at Express Scripts full-time for more than 5 years

ProsWork with smart people, do good work, be a part of a driven company on the move. There's a lot of passion here, which is exciting to be a part of.

ConsIt's hard to keep your life balanced while working in such a constantly demanding environment.

Good experience

Anonymous (Former Employee)

I worked at Express Scripts

ProsFlexibility to work at home

ConsThey didn't care about employees , just the bottom line all about money

Advice to Senior ManagementBetter work life balance

Long Term IT Employee

Senior, Manager (Former Employee)

I worked at Express Scripts full-time for more than 10 years

ProsGreat senior level leadership. They know where they are taking the company and how they want to get there. There is the ability to move across departments if you have the desire to have an impact in another area of the company.

ConsHealthcare management moves very fast. The workload is heavy and expectations are high. You will either love this environment or hate it. The other challenge is the staffing philosophy. A majority of jobs are being not only contracted, but shipped off shore.

Advice to Senior ManagementWhen the company was young the smarts of the staff was heavily relied upon. This is what built the business. Over the years ESI has moved away from this model so the staff does not feel valued. Go back to a valued staff model rather than going to a third party before you adopt a view.

Sad decline...

I worked at Express Scripts full-time for more than 5 years

ProsBenefits package is decent. When I first started with ESI, I really enjoyed the company and its values. However, over time as it appeared that being the biggest PBM became the focus, the company lost their way.

ConsLeadership was terrible overall. It seemed that senior leadership became disengaged with what was actually happening to those on the front line with patients and clients. With that said, it is ironic that in one place I worked for one of the best managers I ever worked for as well as one of the worse. However, most of the managers I had were more task oriented and not truly qualified to manage people. The employee ranking system (bell curve) for reviews is terrible and out-of-date. It only lowered moral around review time and created a "me" or "cya" mentality at any cost and made teamwork less effective as well as some employee actions questionable. Teamwork should be promoted more for the betterment of the company and employees.

Advice to Senior ManagementFocus on your employees and clients before the dollars. If they are satisfied, then the revenue should come. Do not discard employee concerns about their managers as they do have validity to their claims. Eliminate the ranking system and actually force your managers to do their job in a more thoughtful, thorough way. They should be accurately reviewing an employee based on their own performance.

Good experience

Client Benefit Analyst (Current Employee)
Waukesha, WI (US)

I have been working at Express Scripts as a contractor for more than a year

ProsDirect management is incredible. Very hands on and complimentary.

ConsCompany is in transition.Lack of job security is always at the forefront

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep doing what you're doing.

Worked for Express Scripts? Contribute to the Community!

Express Scripts – Why Work for Us?

​​​​​​You Belong Here​​​​​​ ​​​​​If you value work that offers meaning and want your career to make a difference in peoples’ lives, you belong at Express Scripts. We have the talent, resources and ability to lower… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Express Scripts reviews and ratings - including employee satisfaction and approval ratings for Express Scripts CEO George Paz. All 577 reviews are posted anonymously by Express Scripts employees.