F5 Networks

F5 Networks Reviews

Updated Jul 24, 2014

F5 Networks President, CEO, and Director John McAdam

John McAdam

Pros
  • Good company to work for, great work culture, good work-life balance(in 13 reviews)

• Great benefits and a true feeling that the company values employees and strong talent(in 19 reviews)

Cons
  • Too much politics between Seattle and San Jose office(in 6 reviews)

• You can tell there are growing pains as the company does transition into that larger point in its lifecycle(in 8 reviews)

Balance of work with home life

ProsNegotiable flexible work hours and friendly atmosphere which makes one feel welcome. Very multicultural and inclusive. Opportunities for career growth as company is expanding.

ConsHiring process is long so might need to wait it out. Entry positions sometimes do not renumerate at the same rate as competitors.

A company in transition

Sales Support Function (Current Employee) London, England

ProsGreat people, good products, good partner landscape, good benefits

ConsUnder-resourced if you're not in sales, starting to get 'large corporate' feel - and not in a good way. pressurized, sometimes uncompromising, emergence of 'busy' people looking for ways to score points with senior management whilst undermining colleagues and creating an overall unpleasant culture of success at 'all costs'. People taking credit and aligning with other peoples work and then doing a full 360 back when the project isn't a success.
    Because of low resource, EMEA heads do lots of business travel - they put you in cattle class for long-haul (no exceptions) and insist that you fly easyjet, ryanair and low cost airlines from ridiculous airports at ridiculous times in order to save costs which compounds your misery.

Advice to Senior ManagementConnect with your employee's
    Stop the manifestation of point scoring/finger pointing

a lot confusion

NSE (Current Employee) Chertsey, England

Pros-nice technology and opportunity to learn a lot
    -chance to see a company that is doing well finally
    -many interesting people to meet
    -if you can play politic you can definitely success there
    -good benefits

Cons-they don't focus on employees. they don't care if you stay with them or not
    -overall communication with management is terrible. There are some 1st level mgmt that are fine but majority of them are only interested in their own carrier and bonuses
    -commuting to chertsay is really bad
    -there are really nice people who work there but because work balance is bad you don't have a chance to socialize
    -stats driven environment; a lot of politic
    -came to Glassdoor because I'm looking for a new job. seeing so many high positive review about the company I'm very suspicious that many of these can be fakes

Advice to Senior Management-listen to your employees
    -stats are not the only way to evaluate employee; when they speak listen to them instead of criticize
    -it is nice to see that a company grows and have money but you are not sharing this with everyone

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Network Security Engineer

Network Security Engineer (Former Employee) Chertsey, England

Pros- it was definitely a nice place 3-5 years ago
    - if you are coming from outside you have a chance to negotiate something
    - if you are a beginner you are going to learn a lot of nice networking stuff, but you will learn this as well as by any other company

Cons- if you are experienced stay away from NSE and even ENE roles
    - if you agree to work as ENE you work for 60h and more. As there are very few account managers and technical account managers you are going to deal with a lot of not technical issues
    - the company has to changed internal hireing politic and they hire now a lot technically 'weak' NSE's. This means that ENE have a lot of job that were done before
    - support is visible as a worst place in the whole company
    - no matter how hard you work you are visible as a support tech and have no chance for anything else in the company
    - they rather higher people from outside than work, educate and promote its own personel
    - often an arrogance from lower to higher managers. You are there to do the work and any kind of complains that there is too few people and too much work is visible as a weakness.
    - people who got some luck (read connections, etc..) have no respect to others
    - you are seen in the company as an an employee and individual depending on the position you agreed to work on
    - it is expected that once accepted the NSE position you are going to do the job for 3 years and not even a day less. Should you complain during this time you can forget of any kind of progress and carrier at the company
    - in the EMEA there is noting than the Support and Professional services. If you see your self as an engineer with ambition to write code/scripts if needed forget about the NSE job.
    - They are going to deal with a lot of manual and not automated work. A work that either the managers failed to do right from processes point of view or techicaly it is something that no one wants to do
    - as the company roles out new products the NSE job became more and more about educating customers where to click on the GUI and what snat automap is etc.
    - a lot of good people have never been recognized and the tendency is rather to look for other jobs than to go for the extra mile and work for the company. At the end of the day you know you are not going to be payed or promoted for this
    - the internal tools are of low quialit (the still use a 7 years old php script to managed the lab)
    - team work doesn't matter. What matters are your stats. You are as good as your stats are.

Advice to Senior Management- move managers who have zero empathy away from managing your teams
    - be smart and know who are the best performers in the team. Stats are not always the only way to find this out
    - handle your people with respect, it is not only a tech fault that a customer get upset. This is a failure and lack of support structure in the EMEA region.
    - stop pretending that everything is ok and everyone is happy. Ask for honest feedback in an anonymous way and build motivated, team driven collaboration between the people
    - work recognition and bonuses

Great place to work

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Chertsey, England

ProsA very positive, happy environment, mainly because the company is doing so well al over the world, but also because they seem to be hiring some good people.

ConsThe UK HQ is in a bit of a backwater, hard to get to and its poor style gives the wrong impression of a very good company.

Advice to Senior ManagementSpend a bit more money on presentation and style. Considering they lead the market they could also do with some advertising to raise the profile.

A great place to learn!

Intern - Technical (Current Employee) Seattle, WA (US)

ProsAs an intern, the software engineers are all very willing to help you and work with you. There is opportunity to take on different types of projects depending on your experience. Most managers are relaxed and friendly

ConsWaterfall rather than Agile style of development... doesn't matter so much as an intern though.

Advice to Senior ManagementSmaller teams, more frequent status meetings. Try to get more of a sense of "team" rather than just folks who work on the same code and talk to each other about it

Consultant

ProsGreat place to work if you like to travel for business; you'll see many new places. Benefits are generally good.

ConsTraveling might reach up 90% of your time at some periods. It's not so easy to change roles.

Excellent Place to Work

Professional Services Engineer (Current Employee)

ProsSmart people around. Godd benifit , provide decent Bonus and other perks is also good.

ConsOverseas Development group need better management.

Advice to Senior Managementkeep doing good work. better time managemnt

F5 is a great company to work for

Development Manager (Current Employee)

ProsIn 4 years I received 3 promotions, got RSUs, and yearly salary increases. They sent me on an international all expenses paid trip with my family for doing outstanding work. My time is extremely flexible, and they pay me to ride my bike to work instead of driving.

F5 is a company that puts some effort behind their belief that their employees matter, from very flexible about work hours, to pay, to matching 401k contributions, great health coverage, and good salary.

Keeping a good work/life balance is not penalized, even implicitly.

Promotion from within is very common, and working your way up from the starting position is absolutely achievable.

ConsBecause there are a lot of smart people, sometimes it's hard to get cross-organizational change to happen, as everyone has a good reason for their own agenda.

Advice to Senior ManagementMore cross-organizational projects with management buy-off and guidance would make this an even better place to work.

HR professional

Human Resources Professional (Current Employee) Seattle, WA (US)

ProsGreat product, great people, great culture and a very positive environment. People believe in the company and there is immense satisfaction. Team work, collaboration, innovation and customer focus has been the key vision for the company and every person lives by that.

Being a part of HR it is much easier to sell the opportunity to future prospects if you believe in the company and it feels really great when they experience the same after getting here.

Great benefits, great view, work life balance and working on the cutting edge technology. Our CEO emphasizes to work hard but not to forget to have FUN.

Open door policy, you are allowed to speak your mind.

ConsCompany still operates like a start up. Though it is good in a lot of ways but to be in the game we need to invest in tools and processes so that we are ahead in the game.

Advice to Senior ManagementMore visibility to the employees.

Worked for F5 Networks? Contribute to the Community!