F5 Networks

Updated 28 August 2014

4.2

F5 Networks President, CEO, and Director John McAdam
John McAdam

Pros
  • Keeping a good work/life balance is not penalized, even implicitly (in 15 reviews)

• Great benefits and a true feeling that the company values employees and strong talent (in 20 reviews)

Cons
  • Too much politics between Seattle and San Jose office (in 6 reviews)

• You can tell there are growing pains as the company does transition into that larger point in its lifecycle (in 8 reviews)

More Highlights

A really great company to work for in the software and networking industry!

Current Employee - Service Delivery Manager  in  Chertsey, England
    Current Employee - Service Delivery Manager in Chertsey, England

I have been working at F5 Networks full-time for more than a year

Pros

A fast growing company which is very successful in the networking industry. F5 is evolving fast and will continue to go from strength to strength. If you want to work for a company that has a strong vision, determination and direction and successfully competes with other networking giants then work for F5. The culture of the company is very calm, supportive and mature with excellent senior leadership.

Cons

You need a positive, proactive and mature attitude to succeed in this company.

The company is evolving fast be open to positive suggestions and look for strengths within internal staff

A company in transition

Current Employee - Sales Support Function  in  London, England
    Current Employee - Sales Support Function in London, England

I have been working at F5 Networks full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great people, good products, good partner landscape, good benefits

Cons

Under-resourced if you're not in sales, starting to get 'large corporate' feel - and not in a good way. pressurized, sometimes uncompromising, emergence of 'busy' people looking for ways to score points with senior management whilst undermining colleagues and creating an overall unpleasant culture of success at 'all costs'. People taking credit and aligning with other peoples work and then doing a full 360 back when the project isn't a success.
    Because of low resource, EMEA heads do lots of business travel - they put you in cattle class for long-haul (no exceptions) and insist that you fly easyjet, ryanair and low cost airlines from ridiculous airports at ridiculous times in order to save costs which compounds your misery.

Connect with your employee's
    Stop the manifestation of point scoring/finger pointing

Balance of work with home life

I have been working at F5 Networks full-time for more than a year

Pros

Negotiable flexible work hours and friendly atmosphere which makes one feel welcome. Very multicultural and inclusive. Opportunities for career growth as company is expanding.

Cons

Hiring process is long so might need to wait it out. Entry positions sometimes do not renumerate at the same rate as competitors.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

a lot confusion

Current Employee - NSE  in  Chertsey, England
    Current Employee - NSE in Chertsey, England

I have been working at F5 Networks full-time for more than a year

Pros

-nice technology and opportunity to learn a lot
    -chance to see a company that is doing well finally
    -many interesting people to meet
    -if you can play politic you can definitely success there
    -good benefits

Cons

-they don't focus on employees. they don't care if you stay with them or not
    -overall communication with management is terrible. There are some 1st level mgmt that are fine but majority of them are only interested in their own carrier and bonuses
    -commuting to chertsay is really bad
    -there are really nice people who work there but because work balance is bad you don't have a chance to socialize
    -stats driven environment; a lot of politic
    -came to Glassdoor because I'm looking for a new job. seeing so many high positive review about the company I'm very suspicious that many of these can be fakes

-listen to your employees
    -stats are not the only way to evaluate employee; when they speak listen to them instead of criticize
    -it is nice to see that a company grows and have money but you are not sharing this with everyone

Network Security Engineer

Former Employee - Network Security Engineer  in  Chertsey, England
    Former Employee - Network Security Engineer in Chertsey, England

I worked at F5 Networks full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

- it was definitely a nice place 3-5 years ago
    - if you are coming from outside you have a chance to negotiate something
    - if you are a beginner you are going to learn a lot of nice networking stuff, but you will learn this as well as by any other company

Cons

- if you are experienced stay away from NSE and even ENE roles
    - if you agree to work as ENE you work for 60h and more. As there are very few account managers and technical account managers you are going to deal with a lot of not technical issues
    - the company has to changed internal hireing politic and they hire now a lot technically 'weak' NSE's. This means that ENE have a lot of job that were done before
    - support is visible as a worst place in the whole company
    - no matter how hard you work you are visible as a support tech and have no chance for anything else in the company
    - they rather higher people from outside than work, educate and promote its own personel
    - often an arrogance from lower to higher managers. You are there to do the work and any kind of complains that there is too few people and too much work is visible as a weakness.
    - people who got some luck (read connections, etc..) have no respect to others
    - you are seen in the company as an an employee and individual depending on the position you agreed to work on
    - it is expected that once accepted the NSE position you are going to do the job for 3 years and not even a day less. Should you complain during this time you can forget of any kind of progress and carrier at the company
    - in the EMEA there is noting than the Support and Professional services. If you see your self as an engineer with ambition to write code/scripts if needed forget about the NSE job.
    - They are going to deal with a lot of manual and not automated work. A work that either the managers failed to do right from processes point of view or techicaly it is something that no one wants to do
    - as the company roles out new products the NSE job became more and more about educating customers where to click on the GUI and what snat automap is etc.
    - a lot of good people have never been recognized and the tendency is rather to look for other jobs than to go for the extra mile and work for the company. At the end of the day you know you are not going to be payed or promoted for this
    - the internal tools are of low quialit (the still use a 7 years old php script to managed the lab)
    - team work doesn't matter. What matters are your stats. You are as good as your stats are.

- move managers who have zero empathy away from managing your teams
    - be smart and know who are the best performers in the team. Stats are not always the only way to find this out
    - handle your people with respect, it is not only a tech fault that a customer get upset. This is a failure and lack of support structure in the EMEA region.
    - stop pretending that everything is ok and everyone is happy. Ask for honest feedback in an anonymous way and build motivated, team driven collaboration between the people
    - work recognition and bonuses

Great place to work

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Chertsey, England
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chertsey, England

I have been working at F5 Networks

Pros

A very positive, happy environment, mainly because the company is doing so well al over the world, but also because they seem to be hiring some good people.

Cons

The UK HQ is in a bit of a backwater, hard to get to and its poor style gives the wrong impression of a very good company.

Spend a bit more money on presentation and style. Considering they lead the market they could also do with some advertising to raise the profile.

Fantastic place to work and grow

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Seattle, WA (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA (US)

I have been working at F5 Networks full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Strong work-life balance and a desire to see growth. The culture here is fantastic and the individuals who work here have a strong desire to see the company progress. We continue to produce high quality solutions surrounded by high quality individuals.

Cons

Weekly commit culture can put unnecessary stress on individuals. Sometimes this pressure on a weekly basis hurts the business and creates excess pressure on certain teams.

Consider reaching out to people and really listen to what's going on. I do not feel that sr. management is connected enough to the people any longer. We are growing and that distance or connection is decreasing.

Great place to work good core values and direction

I have been working at F5 Networks full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

I really like the team experience. the flow of data but up and down the chain of command are clear and open. the culture is open and looking for upward mobility. Pay for the area I live in is excellent. all around a great company!

Cons

I don't know if this is actually a con but since we are growing by leaps and bounds finding room for everyone is getting hard, as well as figuring out the growing pains of processes of a company that is growing.

You Rock keep it up!

A great work environment where employees are valued, that provides great compensation and benefits.

I have been working at F5 Networks full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Financially successful company with compelling products that solve real customer problems.
    Investment in new product directions/acquisitions that leverages the security capabilities of the existing product.
    Stable work environment, supportive team, with relatively low turnover for the industry.

Cons

Decision-making can be a challenge, as new ideas/approaches are continuously entertained.
    Despite being a global organization, F5 culture is at times very Seattle-centric.

Great partnerships in staffing and recruiting!

Current Employee - Senior Recruiter  in  Seattle, WA (US)
    Current Employee - Senior Recruiter in Seattle, WA (US)

I have been working at F5 Networks full-time for less than a year

Pros

I really like how I have a seat at the table with my hiring teams. We collaborate on recruiting topics and how to leverage our respective networks to search out for the best network engineering talent in the country. The work environment is awesome. Quick access to Elliott Bay Trail for my lunch time runs and did I mention the food trucks that stop nearby? I love food trucks.

Cons

My commute isn't the best. It's lengthy, but F5 provides suitable options that make it easier and affordable (flex-plan, Orca Card, cheap parking, van/carpool options, lockers/shower facility onsite if I ride a bike).

Worked for F5 Networks? Contribute to the Community!