FAA

FAA Reviews

Updated Jul 26, 2014

FAA Administrator Michael P. Huerta

Michael P. Huerta

Pros
  • Air Traffic Control is an amazing job like no other (in 8 reviews)

• Job security is decent even with sequester (in 13 reviews)

Cons
  • Rotating shifts, tough to get time off (in 7 reviews)

• Rotating shift work, poor working conditions, micromanaged from above, adversarial labor/management culture (in 7 reviews)

More Highlights

Great learning opportunity

Computer Specialist (Former Employee) Oklahoma City, OK (US)

ProsConsistent hours, work with limited supervision

ConsStressful, not very family-oriented. Forced to use personal leave if center is closed

Advice to Senior ManagementMore flex scheduling, telework options

Personal growth and reaching my full potential

Senior Manager-communications (Current Employee) Washington, DC (US)

ProsThe opportunity to expand one's learning, skills and role in the agency by taking on assignments, creating a working network of professionals in the agency, learning to work around frustrations inherent in large institutions.

ConsIt is a large agency and one can feel pigeonholed.

Advice to Senior ManagementSome of the long-standing senior executives and managers are in positions too long without learning and experiencing what their employees really have to do to get work accomplished. Perhaps some of these senior people need to move around once in a while. Often it appears that most qualified people are passed over.

Air Traffic Control, Air Traffic Manager, TMU, QA, Programs

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Fremont, CA (US)

ProsGreat pay, smart people. Early retirement. 8-10 hour work day max. Fun job for the first 20 years. Respectful work.

ConsBad work hours. Work holidays, weekends, etc. Little to no control over where you live. Top out in pay quickly.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

ATCS

Atcs (Former Employee) Chicago, IL (US)

Prosgood salary, good working conditions

Consrotating shifts, poor management, stress

Advice to Senior Managementlisten to your employees who are working the aircraft, they can help the system run better..

Started out great, and went downhill about halfway through!

ProsThe pay is good, benefits are great (as long as Congress doesn't change what they promised you when you hired on), and co-workers.

ConsManagement - most managers, including field facility management, do not belong in management. They are power hungry, egotistical, and do what they want knowing they are going against the directives/orders. I've had upper managers tell me they do what they want and then apologize later. You would think that a happy employee is a productive employee, but not with the FAA.

Having to deal with Congress/Senate every year not knowing if you will have a job because they can't agree on a budget...case in point...October 2013 federal government shut down for 16 days.

Advice to Senior ManagementPut managers in position that are qualified to work in that position and get rid of the ones that don't belong there.

A great job working in a bureaucracy

Air Traffic Controller (Former Employee) Ronkonkoma, NY (US)

ProsBeing involved with air traffic control was a great career. The pay is terrific and the benefits as a federal employee are very good.

ConsIt is a stressful environment and management is often clueless to what is really happening at the radar scope. Management increases the stress on controllers by not insuring that they are properly supported .

Advice to Senior ManagementFAA upper management changes often. Direction and planning change as often. The emphasis should be more on the safety of air traffic over the considerations, while important, of the airlines bottom line.

Great pay and benefits, some horrible people to work with though.

Air Traffic Control Specialist (Former Employee)

ProsThe pay, retirement, medical and vacation/sick leave are all great. You can potentially retire in 20 years. You start out getting 4 hours sick leave, 4 hours of vacation every two weeks. Then 6 hours vac,4 hrs sick after 3years of service, then 8 hrs vac, 4 hrs sick after 15yrs of service.

Very interesting job IF you can handle the stress. Doesn't matter how smart you are, a rocket scientist could wash out at this job and a high school dropout could kick butt at it. It's an aptitude thing and how well you handle stressful situations calmly. Must be great at multitasking and paying very close attention to detail both visually and listening at the same time.

Some really great people to work with.

ConsSome of the fellow controllers you work with are complete jerks! There are a lot of egos in this job, and some people let it go to their head and treat the new trainees like the lowest form of life on earth. Some controllers seem to take pleasure in "hazing" the new people and it can get personal. I have heard stories of fights breaking out back in the day.

The worst part of the job is the when you are training. Problem is, that at an en-route center, training can last 4 years or more! A lot of people burn out during the training period, and in my opinion a good portion of the stress of the job is dealing with complete jerks that you work with.

The problem is that once you make it as a certified professional controller, you are essentially untouchable and some people feel that they can say and do pretty much anything. The supervisors and trainers don't seem to want to step in and put these people in their place maybe because they know they have no real power to do so? Also the unsaid "rule" is that as a trainee you just shut your mouth and do not talk back to fully certified controllers, you are expected to just take the abuse. Very high schoolish work atmosphere in that there is a lot of immaturity.

Advice to Senior ManagementTake control of this hostile work environment! A lot of sups just stand around and let a few jerk controllers create a horrible work environment! It is up to management to set the tone for how people should behave. Also don't rush trainees through their training! I think this was not helpful for me, I was not allowed very much time to "season" on my D-sides before starting R-side training. I think I had 2 weeks of "seasoning" time. Back in the day you would season for a year or so on each position before moving on to the next.

Satisfactory

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Washington, DC (US)

ProsNice people and friendly environment, plenty of employee friendships, job stability, willingness to help

ConsEmployees don't seem particularly qualified. Stereotypical bureaucratic government environment

Advice to Senior ManagementHire more qualified, energetic individuals. Pay your interns for transportation at the very least.

Well Beyond Close Enough for Government Work

Aerospace Engineer (Current Employee)

ProsBalance between technical engineering type work and big picture regulation work. Good career advancement. Some employees (like myself) have outside industry experience and expertise. Industry takes you seriously and listens. You get to know some of the most experienced people in industry. Great benefits and the pay is not on the GS system, so you are generally paid more competitively towards industry rates. Life balance is good.

ConsAs an engineer you are not going to be doing design work. However, you are involved in the design and testing and ensuring designs meet safety requirements for a broad range of systems. Some bureaucracy, but if you are used to other fed agencies, this one is actually pretty efficient--mainly because they have the ability to bring in good people with the competitive salary scale. Can get busy, but still a fed job with fed job hours (quite fair).

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't ever go on the GS pay system, stay competitive and keep your competitive employees. Don't lose your expertise to Europe or Asia!

Air Traffic Controller

Air Traffic Controller (Current Employee) Washington, DC (US)

ProsPay is great and some benefits are good

ConsShift work with weekends and holidays

Advice to Senior ManagementHire supervisors with more experience

Worked for FAA? Contribute to the Community!