Facebook Reviews

Updated 30 October 2014
4.4

Facebook CEO Mark Zuckerberg
Mark Zuckerberg

Pros
  • You have occasion to work with super smart people from the industry (in 82 reviews)

• Amazing office culture and community and the free food doesn't hurt (in 67 reviews)

Cons
  • Another thing that no one will agree with me on is the work-life balance (in 51 reviews)

• Long hours away from home, due to my own commute situation and long working hours (in 26 reviews)

More Highlights

A workplace with a lot of opportunities

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dubai (United Arab Emirates)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dubai (United Arab Emirates)

I have been working at Facebook full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

- The main reason why working for Facebook is great, is the opportunity to move roles as it allows you to always strive on your ambition and face more interesting challenges. It gives you the opportunity to constantly excel.
    - Another benefit of working here is the fact that almost most of the colleagues are high achievers, thus always inspiring to do more and to do it better.
    - The culture is very warm, open and fun. I worry that I would never be able to find this working environment again.
    - Salary is very competitive, benefits are very fair.
    - Moreover, the working environment is full of respect, and even in case there was a disagreement it would never amount to more than that, usually solvable and manager is ready to step in and find a solution, all done in a very smooth and civil way.
    - The parties are super awesome, and the time they invest in them, shows how much they care about making us happy!

Cons

Since you're surrounded by high achievers, you could probably have sleepless nights. Yet this is only to drive yourself and challenge yourself. I wouldn't say it's a complete con, unless you let it affect you very negatively. Because on the other hand we are always encourage to apply work life balance.

Simply one of the best places to work - tons of opportunities for high performers.

Current Employee - Manager In Sales
    Current Employee - Manager In Sales

I have been working at Facebook full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

High impact jobs from day one. Lots of responsibility, constant learning - they invest a lot into employees - training courses & personal coaches if you are a high performer. Possible to get promoted really quickly if you are good. Lots of opportunities to move into new roles, as everything is very dynamic. Super open culture, you can talk to anybody no matter how high up they are. Very inspiring workplace - your colleagues are the best out there.

Cons

People who are looking for a straight career path & who are looking to get challenges presented to them on a silver plate are in the wrong place. It's go in and discover the problems yourself, solve them and build up a reputation. Also, every career is different, as the company is very dynamic - so you won't find that straight-line progression you see in traditional companies.

A lot of work but very engaging

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Menlo Park, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in Menlo Park, CA (US)

I worked at Facebook as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

A dynamic place to work with a lot of smart people. People very willing to help each other out and collaborate. Great perks and the opportunity to have a say for.

Cons

Work life balance is very out of whack. You have to work a lot of hours, but more importantly this doesn't seem to make people much more productive.

Figure out ways to make the engineering workload easier, or figure out how to harness people's extra working hours in a productive way.

Best place to work in the mid-to-big-sized companies

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Seattle, WA (US)
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Seattle, WA (US)

I have been working at Facebook full-time (more than an year)

Pros

A lot of work to be done -> means you have flexibility on what to work and there's ample opportunities to do something awesome.
    Perks are amazing, but they're made so you don't stress with the little details of life -> I work less hours in average than my previous top-company-job but achieve a lot more in that time.
    No micro management overall (obviously there are black sheep everywhere) -> you do need to know how to prioritize and work by yourself without being pushed though
    Mission and vision that matter to the world -> "Don't be evil", eh? Right. Here we're truly connecting the world. Very few teams focus on revenue, which is awesome.
    Excellent compensation -> do I need to say more?
    Travel to HQ if you're a remote team -> it's not so often so I enjoy it (personal thing though)

Cons

The other "G" giant has a few more extra perks that are nicer, but you can live without them.
    Growing very fast. Hoping quality does not deteriorate but things can get messy.

Don't overgrow without having the right managers, projects, trainings involved. Don't sacrifice the flexibility and openess due to this.

The best of the best

Current Employee - Software Engineer
    Current Employee - Software Engineer

I have been working at Facebook full-time (less than an year)

Pros

The company perks, work that you do, and the tools to enable you to get that work done are unparalleled or equal to best in the industry. It does not get better than this.
    Culture is open and there you mostly know where the company is headed.

Cons

Facebook has a highly customized codebase, and that should be supported by the same level of documentation.
    Now the company is big enough that there are groups of people that stay with each other according to their tenure at the company, and that sometimes is hard for someone newer.

Keep up the awesome work. Work a little more on new employee integration and keeping the culture alive.

Very open, fluid, fast-paced.

Former Employee - Software Engineer Intern in Menlo Park, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Software Engineer Intern in Menlo Park, CA (US)

I worked at Facebook as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

There is a high degree of freedom to work on projects you're passionate about. The development cycle is very fast, with a very efficient and fluid deployment system. Great perks, and plenty of conventions and company events to go to. Opportunities to learn new technologies through professional development programs. You better be at the top of your game, everyone is incredibly smart and talented.

Cons

Due to the nature of the open, "hacker" culture, there is a lack of ownership, and a drive to come up with a working solution as fast as possible (i.e. a "hack"). This leads to a patchwork-like infrastructure, with each component "tacked" onto the existing framework, and old components taken out due to a lack of maintenance. Picture a custom-built hand-tuned muscle car, periodically upgraded with individual state-of-the-art components, as opposed to a sleek new Lamborghini.

Awesome place to work

I have been working at Facebook full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Awesome place to work
    Great career opportunity
    Awesome people to work with

Cons

Less hike compared to market

Account Manager

Former Employee - Account Manager in Sydney (Australia)
    Former Employee - Account Manager in Sydney (Australia)

I worked at Facebook full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The people are excellent, iss them!

Cons

too much food! I have gained 10 pounds!

Slow down

Great place to work

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Menlo Park, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Menlo Park, CA (US)

I have been working at Facebook full-time (less than an year)

Pros

It's so inspiring to work with so many professional and smart people in such a free atmosphere. Every project you're working on is both challenging and interesting.

Cons

Basically I find it hard to complain about Facebook. Although I heard someone complained about the work/life balance, I really feel at ease about it and it depends on the team you're working on.

Very fast-paced, lots of impact.

Current Employee - Communications in Menlo Park, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Communications in Menlo Park, CA (US)

I have been working at Facebook full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The fact that Facebook's product touches 1.3 BILLION people on a monthly basis is incredible. To support a community this large, everyone who works at Facebook must be willing to act fast, and often take risk. You are given a lot of autonomy in your role; however, FB is also surprisingly collaborative. I have never worked at a company where literally everyone I work with is equally as smart and hard-working across the board.

Cons

There are tons of resources for training and leadership here, but often not enough time to take advantage of everything that is offered.

I find the most successful managers are those who encourage their employees to take advantage of what is offered to every FB employee. Taking vacation is important, as is parental leave. Our leadership team does a great job of taking time off and encouraging others at the company to do the same.