Facebook Reviews

Updated 16 October 2014
4.4

Facebook CEO Mark Zuckerberg
Mark Zuckerberg

Pros
  • You have occasion to work with super smart people from the industry (in 81 reviews)

• Amazing office culture and community and the free food doesn't hurt (in 63 reviews)

Cons
  • Another thing that no one will agree with me on is the work-life balance (in 51 reviews)

• Long hours away from home, due to my own commute situation and long working hours (in 26 reviews)

More Highlights

Immature company

Former Employee - Expense Analyst in Menlo Park, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Expense Analyst in Menlo Park, CA (US)

I worked at Facebook as a contractor (more than an year)

Pros

Casual environment, healthy snacks provided, fun campus, pay is great

Cons

Many of the employees are arrogant, which seems to be encouraged by management. There are a complete lack of processes and an attitude of being too cutting edge to create them. They treat contractors like second class citizens. There is definitely a culture of us and them, also people are more than willing to throw others under the bus to look good. It would be a fun job if you're 22, but if you have worked at a company that is established, the immaturity is apparent.

You're still a young company, you're not "too ahead" to set up processes. Need to train employees better, not just sink or swim!!

Facebook Austin - Lean Out: A Contractor Story

Current Employee - Ads Integrity Analyst in Austin, TX (US)
    Current Employee - Ads Integrity Analyst in Austin, TX (US)

I have been working at Facebook as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

So you want to work at Facebook Austin (FBA). Perhaps you are enchanted by the product, liking and friending your brains out on a daily basis, and now want to crack open the hood and explore its inner workings. Maybe its high satisfaction rating (among the best out there) is an especially motivating carrot. Or at some point you were regaled by stories of beer pong debauchery, free endless catered smorgasbords, and more baubles than the love child of a Brookstone and an As Seen on TV store. Whatever your reason, if you’re applying for a contract position, there are some things to note in order to adjust your expectations.

There are two castes within this tech world: contractors and full-time employees (FTEs). The distinction is important, as applicants who consider a contract position to be a short-term version of an FTE will be woefully disappointed. Though once at the level of the Morlocks and Eloi, the discrepancy in treatment has improved in recent years and FBA in particular took note of the divide and instituted changes. Nevertheless, the two groups remain distinct in work and treatment.

As a contractor, you’re not being hired for your ideas or to make giant leaps forward on the team. You’re being hired because engineering hasn’t created an effective algorithm to make that position obsolete. You are a stop-gap measure. A well-fed and liquored stop-gap measure, but a stop-gap measure nevertheless. Even the type of candidate that is sought after for a contract position is markedly different from that of an FTE. Of course, this is the nature of all contract work, not just contract work at FBA.

What is distinct about contract work at FBA is its manipulation of its workers. For those earnest people who believe that a contract position will be your entre into an FTE role, lean back on those hopes. Remember, you will be hired with a different set of criteria than that of an FTE. Yes, it could happen. I’ve seen it. But only a degenerate gambler would take that bet. In my experience so far (<1year), I’ve seen more than a handful of contractors, actively encouraged by management to apply for full-time positions only to be turned down by the same team who told them to apply.

After these candidates are deemed “not a good fit,” they go back to their roles and continue to work hard and do a good job. Management notes this and so these contractors are given added responsibilities, and some are even given team lead/managerial type roles- but only in responsibility, not title or pay. You can spin this inequality in terms of an opportunity to gain more good work experience, however, management continues to lead on these workers with pseudo promises of a new position that will become available “soon” or that they are working on creating a position just for that worker because “they are so valuable to the team.” But, these opportunities never appear.

This review isn’t meant to be a slanted deprecation of FBA. I’ve gotten a lot out of my time here. There are talented and brilliant people, fascinating concepts to explore, and of course the food and trinkets. My intent is to set expectations for the next group of contractors and to point out a bit of deception (intended or not) by management. This is an awesome role and place but don’t come in starry-eyed. Just pump the breaks on your high hopes, lean back, and enjoy the ride.

Cons

See above for negative aspects.

Don't make promises you have no intention of (or can't) keep.

Keep Up With the Clique

I have been working at Facebook full-time (more than an year)

Pros

- insane perks (barber, laundry, dry cleaning, car detailing, fitness facilities, stipend for food and entertainment, childcare, etc.)
    - tremendous stock upside
    - competitive (but not overboard) base salaries
    - generous bi-yearly bonuses

Cons

Out of sight, out of mind. Be prepared to always be social with everyone. Engage everyone at the company both online and offline at all times. This can get tiring if you're not naturally that kind of person. The people that are the friendliest with the decision-makers always get preference. Its not the kind of place that you can keep your head down, have a small group of friends, do good work, and be successful. You need to be socially matrixed to the maximum level. If not, you might be let go...

Also, they didn't get to be a big behemoth by ignoring the little things. There are a lot of mundane tasks to be done. There are also lots of small optimizations to be made that move numbers up but don't necessarily impact the end-user experience that much. It's easy to lose sight of a good process that asks "why?" and instead work tirelessly (and rapidly) to move numbers up for no good reason (other than to move numbers up).

Lots of time is required out of normal business hours. This can be challenging for people with families.

Some orgs are better run than others. Choose wisely, and do your homework, out of bootcamp.

Break up the clique-culture. Its like an 8th grade schoolyard in there (replete with the puppy-love romances).

Positive experience in a company that is growing Google style

Current Employee - Client Partner in Dublin, Dublin (Ireland)
    Current Employee - Client Partner in Dublin, Dublin (Ireland)

I have been working at Facebook full-time (more than an year)

Pros

great benefits and perks.
    good worklife style
    great products

Cons

too much competition
    tendency to take executives from outside rather than promoting employees from inside

Best job I've ever had

Current Employee - Content Writer in Menlo Park, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Content Writer in Menlo Park, CA (US)

I have been working at Facebook full-time (more than an year)

Pros

There isn't enough space to write them all. You work with the best, smartest, most interesting people in the world. You are working on problems that can touch over 1 billion people. If we don't have the tools we need to do something, we make them, then do what we wanted to do. I've never worked at a place that so inspiring, creative, and FUN as this one. I've been here for over a year and I am STILL not upset when it's Monday and I have to go back to work.

Cons

Sometimes it can be frustrating when you want to work on something, but have to prioritize something else that's higher impact. Luckily my manager works with me to ensure that I always have some time allocated to what I'm passionate about.

You're doing a fantastic job. The fact that you've been able to scale this culture as well as you have is a true testament to how much you love it here as well.

good

I worked at Facebook as a contractor (more than an year)

Pros

culture is great. the facilties are awesome

Cons

discrimination between full timers and contractors

ok

I worked at Facebook part-time

Pros

balance promotions time off good pay and benefits

Cons

difficult work environment rude workers perks office culture training

get it together

Great place to work

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Menlo Park, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Menlo Park, CA (US)

I have been working at Facebook full-time (less than an year)

Pros

It's so inspiring to work with so many professional and smart people in such a free atmosphere. Every project you're working on is both challenging and interesting.

Cons

Basically I find it hard to complain about Facebook. Although I heard someone complained about the work/life balance, I really feel at ease about it and it depends on the team you're working on.

Wonderful Experience... Would recommend!

I worked at Facebook as an intern

Pros

The perks here are wonderful. You get free food three meals a day, five days a week, not counting the gym, the events, the off sites... In addition, Facebook is very flexible with teams. You get to choose your team and you can switch if you're discontent. Facebook really cares about its employees

Cons

Because there's not really any hours, it's easy to get trapped in a workaholic mentality. The perks also tend to keep you there longer, all contributing to a longer (though extremely fun and rewarding) day.

Humble team, amazing perks and open environment

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY (US)

I have been working at Facebook full-time (less than an year)

Pros

I love working here! Facebook allows me to be myself and make an impact while growing my career. I have worked with many cross functional teams and it's amazing to be surrounded by intelligent and creative individuals. I have been working here for 8 months and I have yet to wake up not wanting to go into work. They keep it exciting and are always changing to better the product, environment and org structure. I work long/hard hours but am treated so well that I don't feel the need or want to complain. I thrive in this type of environment and cannot wait to see what the years to come bring for my professional development. I am well compensated, am given a great amount of time off (and not afraid to use it) and my manager is very supportive with anything I need.

Cons

It can be hard to disconnect since I use Facebook a lot outside of work as well. Also, there is no set plan for any career here

Keep the culture the way it is! Your transparency is amazing.