Facebook

Updated Apr 14, 2014

Facebook CEO Mark Zuckerberg

Mark Zuckerberg

282 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Huge impact, fun work and lots of autonomy

Product Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at Facebook full-time for less than a year

ProsFacebook combines the best aspects of working at a large public company (lots of resources and lots of institutional knowledge) and a hot startup (lots of super smart people and tons of autonomy). Going to work is a ton of fun. I look forward to tackling new problems each day.

ConsThe work schedule is pretty intense. Nice thing is that everyone works really hard here. So you don't feel like you're in it on your own. But you definitely have to work pretty hard here.

Drink the koolaid

Software Engineer (Current Employee)

I have been working at Facebook full-time for more than 3 years

ProsFacebook is definitely a great place to work. If you're young (or not) and energetic, you can still do big things here. As an engineer, you still have a lot of control over the direction of your product, at least on the teams I've experienced. I think management is pretty good here as well, and you definitely work with really great engineers. The pay is great, the benefits are awesome, you are largely treated well, but this is a company you can definitely bite into too hard and overwork yourself. The place is still a lot more open internally than other corporate machines, less so since going public. Also, you get the sense that Mark has a vision, and really wants to execute on that. Time will tell if the spur of acquisitions lately are worth it, but he definitely has the balls to act on where he thinks the product is moving.

ConsI think it says a lot that I can't think of a lot of cons. AND I'm planning to leave the company this year.

-There are a lot of egos here. Definitely not representative of everyone, but some people slip through the cracks and it can be a drain working with them.
-The company is starting to feel really big. It's getting harder and harder to do anything very different as you have to convince more and more people that this is a good idea.
-If you're living in SF, then the location is pretty inconvenient. That and you'll just shove all your free FB swag in a drawer and never look at it again with all the tech protests lately. You can stand out on your team and do a great job at FB, or have a life outside of work. Choose one. I chose the former for too long, and now need to reprioritize.

Advice to Senior ManagementI have been very happy with management at Facebook. Managers have always tried to grow me, my expectations are clear, my efforts are greatly rewarded, and they try to align me with projects where I will shine. I think the important thing, as we grow, is to hold onto some of the old Facebook. "Move Fast, Break Things" well try not to break stuff, but it would be good to keep the cadence up on engineering and the processes that have crept in over the years to a minimum.

The best place to start!

Software Engineer (Current Employee)

I have been working at Facebook full-time for more than 3 years

ProsRare engineer-driven culture. Many holidays and PTOs. Easy to switch to new team. So many training opportunities.

ConsYou can have to watch your own personal career path closely. FB managers are young people and not all of them are good at grow people. Some of the managers are great but you need to work on your part hardly.

Advice to Senior ManagementEverything is great. It is a big company now and will become greater and greater. Zuck is the best CEO.

great place to work

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Facebook as an intern for less than a year

ProsNo limits to what you can touch and achieve. Your surrounded by smart people.

ConsVery fast paced, have to hustle to do well.

Fantastic place to work

Consultant (Current Employee)
Menlo Park, CA (US)

I have been working at Facebook as a contractor for more than a year

ProsIncredibly smart people. Hierarchy agnostic. Ideas bubble up. Best ideas win, but key is to articulate them compellingly. Fantastic benefits.

ConsAs FB grows, so do interdependencies. Key is to maintain scrappy startup feel while scaling up and ensuring coordination and communication.

Advice to Senior ManagementKey is to transition to more mature stage.

product designer

Product Designer (Former Employee)

I worked at Facebook as an intern for less than a year

ProsFlexible hours, free food, young energetic super talented people, fast moving/fast learning environment, compatible salary and perks, relatively flat company hierarchy, overall tech-y design-y open company culture

Consoffice is too cold, with free food everywhere, great sweet shop, it's really really easy to gain weight

Still trying to be a start up even though we're a big company. Still fun, smart and a great place to be

Technical Project Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at Facebook full-time for more than 3 years

ProsFun culture, super smart people, great benefits (for non married folks), still retains the "let's do everything at a breakneck speed" mentality. The hierarchy is still pretty flat. You are always in charge of your destiny so it's pretty much up to you to step up or sit down. If you sit down too long, you won't last. This is a company of doers, not debaters. There is opportunity everywhere as long as you have the attitude to do something with it. Most everyone is incredibly helpful.

ConsMoving fast doesn't always mean doing it right - While you're pretty much allowed to try anything, as a large company, we should slow down and mature some of the processes in order to maintain a high quality of shipped products as opposed to letting the culture of "fail fast" cause duplicate work.

Advice to Senior ManagementInvest more in managers. By this I mean, allow a manager to focus on managing most of the time if it's right for the role. While its admirable that managers always need to work as well, not being graded on managerial skills creates unnecessary employee relations issues. At any other place, the manager can be one of the most critical advocates to a worker's career. Facebook is the only place I've ever been at where we can really have our managers bring out the best in folks and focus only on that role since the hierarchy is pretty flat. No where else has that opportunity. And while managers are general awesome, the management role is just not being used to its full potential.

This is absolutely the best company to work for!

iOS Software Engineer (Current Employee)

I have been working at Facebook full-time for less than a year

ProsThe people. The work. The culture. The perks. The CEO.

# ^ $

ConsSome code is messy (but a lot isn't). The branding could use some love.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep doing what you are doing. Also make our brand better.

– I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company

Excellent

User Operations Analyst (Former Employee)
Menlo Park, CA (US)

I worked at Facebook full-time for more than a year

ProsGood pay, excellent environment, tons of perks, opportunity to work with several teams, beautiful office, Opportunities for mobility within the company, everyone feels like they're on the same team

Consrepetetive work, cult-ish, but only if you feel that way,

Pretty good place to work

Account Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at Facebook full-time for more than 3 years

ProsThe campus is insane, great place to be, delicious food, positive environment overall. Young team overall, great benefits.

ConsThe company has grown a lot and with that came politics and an unusual (at least for me) level of competitiveness amongst colleagues. Constant re-orgs make it a little difficult to grow, as you end up changing managers all the time and you role changes as well. The advertising product is far from stable and they keep changing everything all the time, which confuses the team and the marketplace (and makes the sales process more challenging).

Worked for Facebook? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Facebook reviews and ratings in San Francisco, CA — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Facebook CEO Mark Zuckerberg. All 282 reviews posted anonymously by Facebook employees.