Facebook Reviews in San Francisco, CA

Updated 27 October 2014
4.4

Facebook CEO Mark Zuckerberg
Mark Zuckerberg

Pros
  • You have occasion to work with super smart people from the industry (in 82 reviews)

• Amazing office culture and community and the free food doesn't hurt (in 67 reviews)

Cons
  • Another thing that no one will agree with me on is the work-life balance (in 51 reviews)

• Long hours away from home, due to my own commute situation and long working hours (in 26 reviews)

More Highlights

351 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Phenomenal for Those Who Are Driven by the Mission

Current Employee - Director in Menlo Park, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Director in Menlo Park, CA (US)

I have been working at Facebook full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Mission driven, entrepreneurial, benefits, high growth, focus more on results, hard-working but supportive in terms of achieving balance, fun environment, jerky behavior not as tolerated as other environments

Cons

chaotic at times, growing pains, hard to keep up, more emphasis on individual contributions than strong management

Internship at FB

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Menlo Park, CA (US)

I worked at Facebook as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Free food
    flexible
    smart people
    good pay
    nothing else

Cons

Busy
    tired
    code is hacky
    can work from home
    food is not good

Awesome

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Menlo Park, CA (US)

I worked at Facebook as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

1. Great working environment
    2. Free food and frequent offsites

Cons

1. Very steep learning curve

Enriching experience

Current Employee - Intern - Monthly in Menlo Park, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Intern - Monthly in Menlo Park, CA (US)

I have been working at Facebook as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Everyone is easily approachable, very diverse and open culture, free food and drinks, state of the art technologies to learn from.

Cons

No sleeping or napping pods.

Empowering, exciting, relaxing and stressful at the same time ;)

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Menlo Park, CA (US)

I have been working at Facebook full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The impact on the world one can have is sometimes hard to fathom.
    Also, most of the employees are just such decent human beings that it really skews the perspective on the world's population.

Cons

As it is probably the case with most US tech companies, people tend to work a lot and it kinda creates stress for ones that want to have a personal life as well.

Figure out the problem of "celebrities" in the management - there are some really bad ones.

Facebook set me up for success

Former Employee - Engineering Manager in Menlo Park, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Engineering Manager in Menlo Park, CA (US)

I worked at Facebook full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Facebook is a top tech company like Google, LinkedIn, Apple and many others. All of these companies offer basically the same thing: great engineers, good money, free food, impacting zillions of people and interesting tech problems. Facebook has a few things that set it apart:

1. Open-ness. Root on every box, access to every source repo. I very rarely had to wait to receive credentials to do anything. At other jobs you're often blocked sitting at your desk for a few days waiting for access to some repository.

2. Control over your career. You don't get hired into a specific team -- you choose it (in recent years they've added a list of teams you can choose from, but there's still a lot of variety). And if you get bored or feel stalled, you're encouraged to switch teams.

I don't think other companies offer those things. The real list of pros is huge, but since they could be applied to other companies I don't include them here.

The only reason I left is because I always wanted to start my own startup. Otherwise I would have stayed forever.

Cons

With everyone switching teams all the time there is often a lot of lost tribal knowledge. So there's parts of the codebase that no one understands anymore.

Since the Great Shift to Mobile there's been a focus on quality at the expense of moving fast. I really liked the Move Fast and Break Things mentality of Facebook when I joined, and though people disagree with me, I prefer it to the "don't ship it until it's perfect" mentality (I think many of the independent Facebook apps waited too long to launch).

Another thing that no one will agree with me on is the work-life balance. I have noticed a trend of people working less, hackathons running during the day, etc. I think your average employee is less driven and moves slower than a few years ago. This used to be a place where people were obsessed with shipping above all else. It isn't that anymore. This is a pro for some people but not for me. I'm giving it a 5 because I think it's good for your life, not because I agree with that balance.

I wish the PR team was more proactive rather than reactive. I understand how press cycles work, but Facebook does try to do the right thing and constantly gets skewered. I think shaking this team up a bit would help.

Analyst - Finance

Former Employee - Business Analyst in Menlo Park, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Business Analyst in Menlo Park, CA (US)

I worked at Facebook as a contractor (more than an year)

Pros

-Food
    -Drinks
    -Pizza

I can go on and on..

If you are smart and you think you can improve things..this place is for you.. Doesn't matter if you are a contractor or fulltime.. I was a contractor for over a year..Honestly My team falls in a high-visibility zone due to applications we support.. But if you can make a brand or name for yourself, you got it..

As a contractor, I was counted one amongst fte's.. I never really cared who an FTE was or who contractor was.. I did face some biasness but it was because I was hard on FTE's in other departments to get the work done.. But playing smartly I got things across..

As a contractor I had a say in how we could improve things for our team and yes I managed to get things in there because I was able to demonstrate success through prior work given to me..

I was one of lowest paid contractors per say and handling very menial work yet I was considered a key asset in the team..

Cons

-work-life gets tricky occasionally..
    -I cant say it for all contractors but FTEs should have some drink rounds etc with contractors and appreciate the work.. it will help ppl feel acknowledged and may be you can get more motivated contractors.

- If you think everything is important than you need to sit down and reconsider your goals.

- some managers have no idea of what is important and whats not.

- just because someone can get some work done doesnt mean he/she should do all work..

An incredible hidden experience

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Menlo Park, CA (US)

I have been working at Facebook full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Perks, culture, values, motivation, determination, people, compensation, arcade, gym, shuttles, free food, just about everything you could think of. They also have unlimited sick days. People really care about your health here.

Cons

No one outside of this company knows how amazing this is. One of the biggest flaws I believe. I try to explain our values to outsiders and they don't believe me. You try to look them up on the internet and you won't find them. It's almost to the point of ridiculousness. I would love for this to be fixed and I sure hope it does!

Don't be afraid to give Facebook a voice of its own. It needs to share the amazing respect and values that it has to achieve its goals.

Awesome place to work.

Former Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA (US)

I worked at Facebook full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Amazing experience, good peers and good benefits.

Cons

Cannot think of any real problems with this place.

It was fair - lots of opportunities to learn - few opportunities to work on interesting projects

Former Employee - Product Manager in Menlo Park, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Product Manager in Menlo Park, CA (US)

I worked at Facebook full-time (more than an year)

Pros

High compensation, generous time-off. Good food. (the hamburger place is always tasty). The propaganda is usually enticing and the sweet shop keeps you fat.

Cons

Company culture is broken. Office leadership is broken. Work is not challenging or interesting.

Before hiring new employees, please be honest with them about what working at Facebook is truly like and what the projects they will work on are in reality. Don't lie and use your company brand collateral to rope in smart and motivated people to only then suck their souls out of their bodies.