Family Dollar Stores

Family Dollar Stores Reviews

Updated Apr 16, 2014

Family Dollar Stores Chairman and CEO Howard R. Levine

Howard R. Levine

Pros:
  • "Very professional when it comes down to customer service"
    in 10 reviews
  • "Start at a good pay, its a very nice concept, very quick, Flexible schedule"
    in 9 reviews
Cons:
  • "also there is no employee discount and full time people only get TWO holidays per year"
    in 13 reviews
  • "Horrible upper management who actually treats their employees with no value"
    in 25 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Every store is completely different.

Associate (Cashier) (Current Employee)

I have been working at Family Dollar Stores part-time for more than 3 years

Pros- The work is not hard to learn and the job itself is not a high stress environment.
- Good for anyone with new or past retail experience.
- Store employees in the same district of stores are interchangeable and transferable, helping or filling in for each other when necessary like a family. (may not be true for every district)
- Schedules are not set in stone and can be flexible if allowed. (depending on your payroll, crew and management situation)

Cons- Min wage and low hours for non store management. Raises only earned if your store is doing well. Payroll is very scarce.
- No in store benefits or employee discounts.
- Store quality can entirely depend on your management, people you work with and store location. Not every store is the same size or receives the same quality tools or upgrades.
- Store delivery trucks and drivers are awful and are not reviewed. Many barely know what they are doing, have bad/inappropriate attitudes, and others seem as if they were hired off the street.
- Company does not seem to acknowledge individual store issues and needs by urgency beyond the District as a whole. So things may take a while to fix depending on your store number.
- Company is paranoid about store losses and shrink. It's ALWAYS automatically thought to be internal and not external.

Advice to Senior ManagementPay more attention to individual store needs/suggestions and establishing stronger and better team to management relationships to run them. A failing store is not always the employee's fault.

Friendly place to work

I have been working at Family Dollar Stores full-time for more than a year

ProsFriendly place to work, management is caring and understanding. Love working there. Co-workers and customers are great, laid-back, and have fun. Great first job for experience.

ConsLow wages, even for managers. Not enough payroll to do what needs to be done.

Advice to Senior ManagementYour stakeholders include your employees not just your shareholders. Payroll needs to be increased to accomplish all the tasks. Employees work hard and should be compensated for their work. To get the payroll needed, managers are using their vacation and sick days to increase the payroll to get enough hours to cover what needs to be done. This isn't fair nor right.

I enjoy most days working at Family Dollar

Keenesburg, CO (US)

I have been working at Family Dollar Stores full-time for more than a year

ProsMost DM work with stores to make sure things get done. You are able to move up really fast.

ConsPay roll and their merchandising suck.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop building so many stores and pay attention to the ones you already have.

Corporate not great,but livable

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Family Dollar Stores full-time

ProsMost areas support work/life balance.

ConsCompensation tends to be lower and benefits more expensive. Organizations and systems are not designed to work with each other. Upper management not connected to their day to day and manages in reactive spasms.

It's a dollar store...what should you really expect...

Cashier, Unloader, Stock (Former Employee)
Ely, NV (US)

I worked at Family Dollar Stores full-time for less than a year

ProsHonestly, there wasn't anything about this company really that I liked. It was just a job I was offered at the time, and it didn't hurt to take it up.

ConsTheft Accusations, Managers played games, Managers stole then tried to blame it on staff, they belittle you, and make you feel like you don't deserve to work there, because they watch your every little move, even if you've done nothing wrong.

Advice to Senior ManagementDo a better background check on the people you hire, and train your employees properly. When management can get away with theft for a year, then there is a serious lack of communication, and proper management.

Alright

Assistant Store Manager (Former Employee)
Roseville, MI (US)

I worked at Family Dollar Stores full-time for less than a year

ProsYou get all the hours you want as an assistant manager.

ConsCo-workers are very petty. Talk to much behind people's back, gossip to much. Work the mess out of their employees but offer little to no benefits or incentives.

Advice to Senior ManagementHire people to manage your stores who are more responsible and mature. Team work and morale starts with the store manager so be wise as to who you choose to be the store managers.

Work long hours, more than 52, alone, very alone!!

Customer Service Representative (Current Employee)
Fayetteville, NC (US)

I have been working at Family Dollar Stores full-time for less than a year

ProsThe people that you met. Some good and some bad.

ConsOn your day off, of many few that you will have you can and will be called to come in. Little opportunities to get pay raise. When on salary you are there slave! Your family life will not be the same, your relations and they will almost never see you, only when sleeping if they are lucky.

Not a good one

Regional Loss Prevention Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at Family Dollar Stores full-time for more than 5 years

ProsThe experience I received from this company was good. I would like to say that the Divisional Vice Presidents or Regional Loss Prevention Directors had something to do with it, but the truth is they have no investment in you at all. It is a sink or swim company.

ConsYou are given an impossible market area to cover (200-300 stores in 6 or more states) and are held accountable for each inventory that comes back. Based on store count you end up spending 4 nights a week in a hotel and working Saturday and Sunday to keep up. As a single person it is not totally horrible, but if you have a family it stinks. There is no work life balance and they do not care. If you don't make it they will find someone else.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou currently have 2 levels of supervisors whom do nothing except to tell the people who do the work what they are not doing. Cut one of the layers and maybe you would not need to do the massive layoffs you have done twice in 4 years. You build up and build up and when the profit margin doesn't meet the expectations to wall st you lay people off. Where is the Family in Family Dollar? Howard...you are surrounding yourself with people who do not have your best interests or the company's in mind.

Life suck...not worth it

Richmond, VA (US)

I have been working at Family Dollar Stores full-time for less than a year

ProsIndependence and you're left to your own devices a lot. Good way to discover management styles.

ConsPayroll is impossible to meet and keep store neat. You have no life, always called in when off. Bullying from seniority. Lies about pay, false promises. Getting set up for failure. Dms don't care about the problems in the store and expect the impossible. When the impossible isn't met, you're incompetent and branded as bad help. I've never worked for such a poorly ran company and I came from radio shack, which is saying something. This place is such a joke. Can't wait to do my time as asst manager and move on to better things.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou get what you pay for. Pay your employees better, staff your stores correctly and watch the improvement. This is simple logic: stop being so greedy and think about your backbone and their well being for once.

Poor

Manager (Former Employee)
Charlotte, NC (US)

I worked at Family Dollar Stores full-time for less than a year

ProsThe staff member work hard to make it an effective organization.

ConsProcesses are less than professional. In experienced management and director level staff make it extremely difficult for external hires to make an impact because the current staff lack exposure to what other organizations are doing.

Advice to Senior ManagementShift manager and directors into to roles that more accurately reflect their skill set

Worked for Family Dollar Stores? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Family Dollar Stores reviews and ratings - including employee satisfaction and approval ratings for Family Dollar Stores CEO Howard R. Levine. All 465 reviews are posted anonymously by Family Dollar Stores employees.