Family Dollar Stores

Updated 21 October 2014
2.3

Family Dollar Stores Chairman and CEO Howard R. Levine
Howard R. Levine

Pros
  • Hourly associates are paid fairly and can maintain work-life balance (in 11 reviews)

• Very professional when it comes down to customer service (in 15 reviews)

Cons
  • Work/Life balance is talked about frequently but is looked down upon in some departments (in 20 reviews)

• Upper management is not in touch with reality in daily store operational challenges (in 39 reviews)

More Highlights

Assistant manager

Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager
    Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager

I have been working at Family Dollar Stores

Pros

Nice company, decent money & good benefits

Cons

Short payroll, lack of management experience

Challenging

I have been working at Family Dollar Stores

Pros

Fast advancement opportunities. Compensation is average.

Cons

Very little payroll. Work alone half your shift and do 90 percent of all the work

To run a store effectively let store managers know what budget is on a consistent basis and don't cut hours midweek after a schedule is made.

customer service

Current Employee - Assisted Manager in Harper Woods, MI (US)
    Current Employee - Assisted Manager in Harper Woods, MI (US)

I have been working at Family Dollar Stores full-time (more than an year)

Pros

I had a chance to help clients who needed help. lots and, lots of customer service. being a assistant manager was a great experience. the manager at that store was very cool...

Cons

you will work. period.

keep doin what you do. you work very, very hard with the limited rescources they give you.. you are great. Rich is "the man"

Easy interview

Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Columbus, OH (US)
    Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Columbus, OH (US)

I have been working at Family Dollar Stores full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Over all, Family dollar seems to be a good basic retail chain to become employed by.I know the interviewing process is fairly basic, as long as you have some basic knowledge of retail management.

Cons

My overall thoughts are to clean up the look of the stores. It is alway nice to have a clean work envirorment .

Increase going money toward the up keep of the store and the number of employs on the clock in a shift.

OK

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative

I have been working at Family Dollar Stores full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Good Co-Workers, work/family balance is OK (wished they closed for holidays though)

Cons

The warehouses sends the store a ton of merchandise that's not able to go on sales floor, pay and raises are terrible( will need a second job if you are taking care of anyone other than yorself)

A positive and enjoyable experience.

Former Employee - Temporary Customer Service Representative in Vansant, VA (US)
    Former Employee - Temporary Customer Service Representative in Vansant, VA (US)

I worked at Family Dollar Stores part-time (less than an year)

Pros

I liked the relatively laid back atmosphere that this particular store offered. The co-workers were very helpful and friendly. I only held a temporary position (remodeling) but definitely enjoyed my time there. Management (store and project managers) were also good to deal with.

Cons

None that really stood out during my stay. If I had worked here longer, my view on this matter would likely be more insightful.

I started out as a cashier and was promoted to assisted manager within 5 months. Its possible to advance, you just have to work hard

Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Raleigh, NC (US)
    Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Raleigh, NC (US)

I have been working at Family Dollar Stores full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Room for advancement, your regular customer, pay

Cons

Hours, no coverage, can be dangerous (robberies)

You can move up but be ready for hard work, shady management, and no life

Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Fort Lauderdale, FL (US)
    Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Fort Lauderdale, FL (US)

I worked at Family Dollar Stores full-time (more than an year)

Pros

You can move up from a cashier to manager in no time, even if you are a part timer you can still get hours as long as you don't go over 40

Cons

Low pay($8.50/hr for assistant managers), only two people on a shift, no safety, very little cameras in the store, unprofessional store management, favoritism is the way up

After working two years for this company my advice to the management and the CEO would be to go ahead and accept any bids to sell it. The company was bad when I was there and it's only getting worse. The employee turnover rate in the store I worked in was horrendous. Family Dollar has a high disregard for their employees and will have you working in a bad area with only two people on shift, no security, and the only cameras they had were to watch the front register and backroom door so if something happens to you in the back of the store where is the evidence? Besides that the work load is too much to only have two people on shift and expect the cashier to do U-Boats plus ring people up on register, recover the store and have your managers do all of that plus the manager work that comes with it. My store was so bad to where my store manager even started making up excuses just to get days off from work because you work your store managers to death as well, so guess who had to pick up the slack and basically become a store manager for two weeks straight at minimum wage? My district manager was the worst and would only pop his head in to save his own tail whenever he knew he was getting a visit from his boss, other than that he could give a crap about how his district was ran. Upper management will try to find anything to write you up for. They expect work to be done but don't want to offer more hours on the payroll for an extra employee to help out on shift. I've got some true advice for you, stop worrying about your fat bonus, open your payroll up for more than two employees to work on a shift, and put better safety parameters in place to keep your work environment safe because right now it's an utter mess from customers stealing out the store to employees doing the same and it's only getting worse. Since Dollar Tree acquired the company I can only hope they will abolish the name "Family Dollar" because this place is anything but "Family" friendly.

So disappointed in the companies management

Former Employee - Store Manager in Greensboro, NC (US)
    Former Employee - Store Manager in Greensboro, NC (US)

I worked at Family Dollar Stores full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Weekly pay, advancement opportunity if you have a good supervisor. Started off loving my job, advanced but the changed supervisors and it went to heck from there!

Cons

Store Managers are overworked. You are at the mercy of a supervisor who is threatened by your knowledge and makes up thing to terminate you.

Store manager deserve to have a life also. Strange that everyone else in the company is based on a 40 hour or less workweek but the Store manager is based at 52 hours 5 1/2 days. Create a panel of employees from all levels of the company to review complaints against supervisors.

No concern or support for "store-level" employees.

Former Employee - Store Manager
    Former Employee - Store Manager

I worked at Family Dollar Stores full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

My paycheck has never bounced.

Cons

Computer systems and programs are seriously outdated (still use windows XP which is no longer supported by microsoft). The support system for the store level is virtually non existent. Accountability seems to only be at store manager level. Manadtes and micro-management from upper to store level are the norm for runinng the day to day business. Store managers salaries are based on 52 hours, but are expecred to work more. If you work 80, there's no comp. time given in return, but if you work 51, your pay is docked accordingly.

My advice woul be for upper management and corporate as a whole. A successfuk business model takes care of their employees first. Make them happy and they will pass that along to the customers. STOP preaching to mgive great customer service and then allow only enough labor to have 1 person in store for 8 hours or more.

Family Dollar Stores Photos