Family Service Association

Its what you make of it

Current Employee - Grad Trainee in City of London, England
    Current Employee - Grad Trainee in City of London, England

I have been working at Family Service Association

Pros

Training is good, you get to work on important deals, chance to network with banks / financial services, good work life balance

Cons

need to be careful or you could very easily end up in an area that isn't going anywhere. your a public sector employee working in the financial sector.

Generally they are good, they could be making much more money working for the banks but they are at the fsa. hard to keep staff motivated at times because of economy

Great company to work for!

Former Employee - Intern in Victorville, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Intern in Victorville, CA (US)

I worked at Family Service Association as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

They allowed me an opportunity to intern at a company! IT was wonderful! They also worked around my schedule, which was great. Companys rarely do that.

Cons

I really don't have an issue with them.

Thank you!

The experience you get in FSA is humbling and like no other, really happy there.

Current Employee - LVN in Riverside, CA (US)
    Current Employee - LVN in Riverside, CA (US)

I have been working at Family Service Association as a contractor (more than an year)

Pros

FSA is a loving, informative, educational and rewarding non-profit organization. I have grown as person, as a nurse and as a coworker. Working here has given me a whole new outlook in giving back to those in need.

Cons

Contracts end and hours decrease. Supplies are scarce and difficult to get due to limited budget.

Depending on position full time work is not guaranteed and so benefits are not offered.

Terrible place to work, worst job I've ever had.

I worked at Family Service Association full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Some of the non-management staff were good to work with.

Cons

Dom Betro. Dom Betro. Dom Betro. Where to begin? With the sexism? With the irrationality? With the incompetence? With the unrealistic, and ever-changing expectations? With the cold, calculated manner in which he built this "charity" non-profit to enrich his building trade friends? With the delusional board which rubber stamps this CEO's every decision? With the stunning loss of money (donated and/or grants) which has been wasted in his on-going efforts to open food businesses under the guise of fund-raising? And for the grand finale reason NOT to work at this place - 48 of their staff needed food baskets at the holidays - because they are so poorly paid (and treated; Betro's disgust for them is not very well concealed). If you want to be paid poorly, led poorly, work in an environment where favoritism is rampant and ethical behavior rare, this is the place for you!

Get rid of Dom. He is the well from which all poison flows in this poorly run banana dictatorship. He should go back to losing his shirt trying unsuccessfully to run restaurants and quit wasting grant and other funding with his incredibly inept and corrupt 'leadership.'

What doesn't kill you makes you stronger

I worked at Family Service Association as an intern

Pros

Good for getting a variety of MFT-Intern experience. Different programs, ages, and (some) specialized training available, which is good for getting a well-rounded experience as a therapist who is learning their trade. This is the ONLY reason you should ever consider working here. Also, the contracted clinical supervisors are great. Good support and know their stuff.

Cons

Pay, like many non-profits, is terrible. Favoritism runs rampant in the clinic, and a lot of unprofessional behavior came out of upper management. Although it seems that things have gotten a little better (from what I've heard) as some of the psychotic people have left and more mentally stable people have taken their place. Money is always scarce (unless you are upper management), and therapists have to provide their own supplies (except for charts). Offices are small and some the different satellite locations were in unsafe areas. When the therapists who worked in these places brought concerns to the attention of the management, they were ignored and told to suck it up because everyone had to do this when they were interns. (really?) I guess what doesn't kill you makes you stronger, and this place really puts your stamina to the test. I will say, if you can survive here, you can survive anywhere.

Stop forgetting you were interns once (and some of you still are - your title doesn't automatically make you better than your peers - and they ARE your peers, licensed or not.). Treat people the way you want to be treated. Use those therapy skills you all learned and show some empathy with your employees. Listen to what they are saying to you. And show some respect. These things are often enough to make up for lack in pay and increases loyalty towards your company. Don't care about loyalty? I know you do care about paying people to attend expensive trainings and they quit 6 mos. later when they got tired of the nonsense. The suggestions above would probably eliminate this trend.

Pretty good place to work

Current Employee - Clinician I in Moreno Valley, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Clinician I in Moreno Valley, CA (US)

I have been working at Family Service Association full-time (more than an year)

Pros

flexible schedule, good experience in a variety of programs,

Cons

depending on your supervisor you can feel cut off due to size of agency

try to create more comrodery with in the agency by doing outside events and offer bonuses

case worker

I have been working at Family Service Association

Pros

Good part time job while going through school

Cons

documentation was a lot for the amount of time

Family Service Association Photos

Family Service Association (Photo thanks to Flickr user Paul Sableman, Some Rights Reserved)

+ Add Photo