Fastenal
www.fastenal.com Winona, MN 5000+ Employees

Fastenal Reviews

Updated Apr 16, 2014
Fastenal – Macomb – “Outside a typical Fastenal store, 1400 East…”

Fastenal President, CEO, and Director Will Oberton

Will Oberton

Pros:
  • "Part time work is great for a high school student of a full time college student"
    in 37 reviews
  • "good place to learn a little bit about inventory management/tools/fasteners"
    in 12 reviews
Cons:
  • "Was managing the store while only working part time for an entire month - NO MANAGER IN PLACE WITH ONLY 2"
    in 34 reviews
  • "The most common answer given from upper management is "Other branches make it work"
    in 28 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Great Experience; Good Money

Outside Sales (Current Employee)
Chicago, IL (US)

I have been working at Fastenal full-time for less than a year

ProsDepending on your territory, you can make good money. There are also several opportunities to advance.

ConsDistrict Managers do not hold General Managers accountable for performance so long as goals are met.

Advice to Senior ManagementGrow a pair and actually manage team members.

"Too many eggs in one basket"

I have been working at Fastenal

ProsContinuous learning, the customers I meet, great connections, and my co-workers

ConsWork is not appreciated. Goals are too high. No company incentives for store employees.

Advice to Senior ManagementPersonally run a busy Fastenal short-handed or by yourself. The company is coming out with too many programs and initiatives that are not perfected, which means half your day is ruined by fixing internal problems. Can no longer be effective or efficient. (Management 101)

Good People, Pay is alright not for a living, makes a great part time job

Vending Machine Technician (Current Employee)
Franklin, PA (US)

I have been working at Fastenal part-time for more than a year

ProsThe people, the business, hours

ConsPay, bad commsion, everyone thinks their the boss

Advice to Senior ManagementPay more

Sales Support

Strongsville, OH (US)

I have been working at Fastenal part-time for more than a year

ProsGreat job when just starting out, does not require manual labor which is nice, just requires a hard work ethic, good people skills, and a desire to do better.

ConsCan only work 28 hours a week...

Advice to Senior Managementnone

Decent

Manager (Former Employee)
Napa, CA (US)

I worked at Fastenal full-time for more than 3 years

ProsDecent pay for the work

ConsHorrible hours and senior management

Advice to Senior ManagementGet over yourselves and get the stores the personnel to do their job!

General Manager

I have been working at Fastenal

ProsExcellent opportunity to advance your career if you made poor educational choices in your youth. Opportunities to learn technical or business concepts IF you make it your business to pursue them.

ConsMiddle management (district and regional mamagers) do not seem to be playing from the same sheet of music as executive level. Much of upper level management either doesn't know or doesn't care about the raw amount of work that is expected from the branches on a daily basis. Past due A/R affects pay, but very minimal (almost zero) collections support from the corporate level.

Advice to Senior ManagementTake a month and choose a $70-$100K store to work in for a full month. Transfer one employee out of that branch temporarily. See what we are actually dealing with every day. I'm not suggesting you couldn't do it, but I am suggesting that is not the same job you had when you were in the branches. Push the DMs and RVPs even harder to increase labor in the stores OR give up some of the initiatives that are bogging us down.

Great Experience learning on the job with motivated, enthusiastic employees.

Cincinnati, OH (US)

I have been working at Fastenal part-time for more than a year

ProsAlways more to learn, promote from within (always full time positions opening up), Each day is different, ample opportunity to get out of office, flexible with scheduling, customer service centered, low stress (not constantly thinking about work after off).

ConsPay is low for full time employees (lower than they deserve)

Advice to Senior ManagementN/A

Great for Part of the Time

I have been working at Fastenal

Pros-Great starting pay for part-time employees in comparison to other opportunities, almost two dollars over minimum wage
-Learning opportunity to better understand industrial supplies

Cons-Management
-Ceiling to advancement
-Different personalities in direct management, wanted different production

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue allowing stores to address their locations independently. During my departure, adjustments were being made company-wide that didn't apply to every area.

Good for the work experience of learning about business, EVERYTING ELSE IS TERRIBLE!

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Fastenal

ProsYou have the advantage of learning a lot, then you can take what you learned and excel at a different place.

ConsWorking here is a rat race, and you will NEVER satisfy anybody, no matter how hard you work.

This job is perfect for somebody who has NO LIFE - MEANING, NO WIFE, NO KIDS, OR ANY TYPE OF SOCIAL LIFE.

This is the type of person they would like to clone and run every store:

A SINGLE, MIDDLE AGED MAN WHO IS WILLING TO DEDICATE HIS ENTIRE EXISTENCE TO FASTENAL, who will allow himself to be walked on and abused and never be allowed to express how they really feel about a situation!

Advice to Senior ManagementGet out of your office from in front of your computer, and see what your "lower level" employees are actually dealing with everyday.

60-100% mark-up? Prices shown on computer system as "our cost" have already been DRAMATICALLY MARKED UP! There is ABSOLUTELY nothing wrong with 30-45% margin. Just ask any Fortune 500 company, such as Grainger, MSC, Air Gas etc.

Is good as a part time job

Akron, OH (US)

I have been working at Fastenal part-time for more than a year

ProsDecent pay, flexible hours, and a good resume builder.

ConsThere is no chance to move up and you are basically just another employee in there 2 year in and out cycle.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe willing to pay your employees for their contribution it will help maintain some regularity in positions.

Worked for Fastenal? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Fastenal reviews and ratings - including employee satisfaction and approval ratings for Fastenal CEO Will Oberton. All 494 reviews are posted anonymously by Fastenal employees.