Fastenal Reviews

Updated 28 October 2014
2.9

Fastenal President, CEO, and Director Will Oberton
Will Oberton

Pros
  • Part time work is great for a high school student of a full time college student (in 48 reviews)

• It was a good place to learn and get promoted (in 14 reviews)

Cons
  • Starting at part time for minimum wage with a four year degree is ridiculous (in 48 reviews)

• Upper management wants a lot from you and doesn't give much to any in return (in 39 reviews)

More Highlights

Wear 10 different hats at the same tip as General Manager

I worked at Fastenal

Pros

Work 60+ hours and devote your every minute to be BLUE for Fastenal, you will get paid!

Cons

It's very political. Stressful, short handed with having a knowledgable staff that are professional, lots of baby sitting, a turn and burn atmosphere that customers get tired of.

Learn to pay for talent, hire real sales professionals, reward the people that take the job serious as a career, and acknowledge the ones that make the company!

Sales Support/Sales Trainee

Former Employee - Sales Support/Sales Trainee
    Former Employee - Sales Support/Sales Trainee

I worked at Fastenal full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Good benefits, Competitive Pay, Team oriented atmosphere. Communication flowed freely from part time employees up through district managers.

Cons

There seemed to be constant reshuffling of employees within the district. All employees outside of branch managers were subject to being moved to a different branch to accommodate for changing needs. It was not mandatory, but made to feel "necessary" for you development within the company.

Pretty good company

I have been working at Fastenal

Pros

Good experience for a first job

Cons

Not much room for advancement

Decent company to work for.

Current Employee - OUTSIDE SALES in Dallas, GA (US)
    Current Employee - OUTSIDE SALES in Dallas, GA (US)

I have been working at Fastenal full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Advancement availability due to high turnover
    Good part-time pay
    Low to medium stress work environment
    Good training

Cons

Pay not adequate
    50 hour standard workweek
    Very few holidays give days off
    Advancement difficulties spending on management
    Never show appreciation or gratitude, always asking why more wasn't done
    Education not valued

Value workers that have education and potential to lead in the company
    Pay better!
    ROI keeps DM's from paying adequately in some districts

This company is good to work for if you're going into an engineering field later on.

Current Employee - Part-Time Sales Support in Louisville, KY (US)
    Current Employee - Part-Time Sales Support in Louisville, KY (US)

I have been working at Fastenal part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Most engineering companies buy from Fastenal and know that you will have more knowledge on fasteners and other things than other candidates. It also can help you build relationships with engineers if you're working while in school.

Cons

Management is usually people with little or no college education. The penny pushing culture of the company can be very annoying, especially when it results in no pay raises for part-time employees.

You must spend money to make money

Sales associate

Current Employee - Part-Time Sales Support in Indianapolis, IN (US)
    Current Employee - Part-Time Sales Support in Indianapolis, IN (US)

I have been working at Fastenal part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Flexibility for school, opportunity for advancement, sales training

Cons

Over expectations for tasks of work, Low income, lack of resources

Hire more quality personel

General Manager

I worked at Fastenal full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

At the retail front, Fastenal allows new employees to establish work experience in industrial sales while interacting with various clientele, that include but not limited to OEM and tier one suppliers. Advancements are promoted from within. This is an ideal fit for individuals looking for experience in the related field. There are basically three positions at the store level. Inside Sales, Outside Sales, and General Manager. If income is what motivates you then the General Manager role would be the appealing position; or ultimately District Manager. Personal opinion, out of the three positions General Manager is the only career position. General Managers make a salary range between 30-35,000 plus commission. Annual compensation Avg is 50,000. with the ability to make much more.

Cons

As a career you want to make it to a General Manager. Once in this position you will be faced with the challenge of high employee turn over. Another issue to mention is pricing and ultimately margin on product. National Accounts play a vital role in companies success. On a store level, a well balanced client portfolio will help establish a well rounded book of business; in turn will help your commission based compensation.

Change pay structure for non management personnel to reduce high employee turn over. Increase inside sale employees. Floating management to uniform districts, and overall success.

It was actually great. Shot up the ladder fast!

Current Employee - Government Sales Specialist in Austin, TX (US)
    Current Employee - Government Sales Specialist in Austin, TX (US)

I have been working at Fastenal full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Opportunity to advance. Opportunity to travel. Opportunity to work anywhere in the US. OK pay initially for a single person

Cons

Corporate structure is so far removed from us that we are just an employee number. Break a corporate rule and you will be fired. Pay is great for us in specialist roles and upper management roles but below that the pay is marginal for single men and women. Part time pay is...well..part time pay.

Get to know us in your specialist roles. We are just as valuable as your low level VA personnel. I really loved my job. Did a good job and if you knew me I would still be there. Violation of a company policy is not a good reason to be fired in every case. I sacrificed a great deal of time from my family in order to move the sales needle for you. Being fired with a piece of paper from the fax machine made me feel less than human. Although I'm clearly unhappy about my firing. I only wish continued success to my old Government team. AL, KF, JS & SD Gulf Coast District.

An alright place to work

Current Employee - Warehouse Manager in Hayward, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Warehouse Manager in Hayward, CA (US)

I have been working at Fastenal full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Job security for the most part is there, so long as you do your job. No shortage of work and you're free to make your own decisions throughout the day.

Cons

Pay is terrible, but consistent. Bonuses are a joke unless you're at least a general manager. Most of the turnover with this company is based entirely on finding a higher paying job elsewhere. Our customers always say they see a new face every X amount of months. Your experience at a fastenal branch will depend entirely on who your GM and other staff are.

I lucked out with a good GM and DM, so I really can't complain.

very good

Current Employee - OUTSIDE SALES in Montreal, QC (Canada)
    Current Employee - OUTSIDE SALES in Montreal, QC (Canada)

I have been working at Fastenal full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good team, great experience, flexible schedule, decentralized management, I have a very good time working there, and there are great possibilities of advancing in company

Cons

I have to develop new customer and try to make them appreciate fastenal, I hae to find ways to increase customer service

Fastenal Photos

Outside a typical Fastenal store, 1400 East Carroll Street, Macomb, IL (Photo attributed to IlliniGradResearch - licensed under the CCL Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0)

+ Add Photo