Fastenal

www.fastenal.com

Fastenal Reviews

Updated Jul 22, 2014
Fastenal – Macomb – “Outside a typical Fastenal store, 1400 East…”

Fastenal President, CEO, and Director Will Oberton

Will Oberton

Pros
  • Part time work is great for a high school student of a full time college student(in 39 reviews)

• It was a good place to learn and get promoted(in 14 reviews)

Cons
  • Starting at part time for minimum wage with a four year degree is ridiculous(in 42 reviews)

• Upper management wants a lot from you and doesn't give much to any in return(in 34 reviews)

Sales trainee

Sales Trainee/Outside Sales (Current Employee) Springfield, OH (US)

ProsGood hours and relatively good pay

ConsNot a lot of training

Advice to Senior ManagementInvest a little training into your new employees

Part time.....for now,

Sales Trainee/Outside Sales (Current Employee) Stockton, CA (US)

ProsA lot to offer if you just wait. Seems like a high turnover rate for those who just wasn't sure what outside sales really means.

ConsDon't know what the competition pays. May be a reason for high turnover.

Advice to Senior ManagementPay for uniforms.

Good place to start

Account Specialist (Former Employee) Montreal, QC (Canada)

ProsYou can growth and learn fast

Consno sell training, your are by yourself, huge turnover

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Low pay and little incentive to improve

Pros1) flexible schedule for school
    2) flexible schedule for school

Cons1) low pay
    2) dishonesty about compensation
    3) micromanaged
    4) always more, more, more (and 90% of employees say this)
    5) work culture is cold, stale, unsupportive
    6) no sense of team and HUGE lack of support from DM and RVP

so much more I could say, and being 100% honest, I don't even want to because it would not get heard by the people that matter. The problem is that new GMs and OSPs come in all gung-ho, but leadership is everything....poor leadership has led to more problems than I could ever record here. We have all heard that it rolls down hill. I see a LOT of remarks about greed and sadly, it is true. I constantly lose sales because Mcmaster Carr and Grainger are much cheaper. Word to upper management, "value" doesn't matter to people when they simply can't afford the price of gold for a bag of bolts.

Advice to Senior ManagementSee above....and they'll ignore it anyways because THEIR bosses have the same mindset. Again, it rolls down hill.

Rewards hard work, dedication, and brains--Indianapolis distribution is a difficult.

Distribution (Current Employee) Indianapolis, IN (US)

ProsFastenal is a great place to work for those dedicated to their careers--you will not make it far without considerable personal sacrifice. If you like to work hard, though, it can be fun. (Distribution, I have no experience in sales)

ConsStarting management positions (in Indianapolis distribution) pay horribly, almost insultingly low. Promotions can be attained if you have some leadership skill and are willing to work hard.

Advice to Senior ManagementPractice what you preach, and think hard about that.

Great experience, terrible management/pay

Sales Support (Current Employee)

ProsWork/life balance and flexibility
    Room for advancement

ConsVery low pay
    Poor corporate help
    Weak low-level management
    Cronyism
    Nepotism

Advice to Senior ManagementSimple; pay your employees and they won't leave in droves after being trained. Fastenal wastes thousands of dollars training employees only to see them leave with knowledge and an advanced skill set to work for a competitor that will pay a fair salary. Fastenal, you will NEVER be the "top dog" of the big industrial goods resellers/manufacturers until you make that simple change...and there is more then enough money to go around, its just simple greediness at this point.

Great Company

Sales Support (Current Employee) Akron, OH (US)

ProsWork-Life Balance, They work around a school schedule, Flexible, Awesome Co-Workers

ConsIf you're not a morning person, the 7:30 AM start time can be a little rough

Advice to Senior ManagementHave more full time opportunities available

Respectful coworkers, and satisfying work.

Warehouse (Current Employee) Winona, MN (US)

ProsRespectful workplace and co-workers.

ConsManagement makes shortsighted decisions, always looking for the quick fix. Managers spend too much time working on the floor instead of managing and training their employees.

Advice to Senior ManagementSpend more time on training and making sure employees are qualified to do their jobs.

Overall, a good experience to have for a first job out of college.

Sales Trainee/Outside Sales (Current Employee) Santa Maria, CA (US)

ProsGreat intro into sales and customer service. Helps builds skills in the business world from many different aspects.

ConsPay structure is not competitive. Goals are a bit out of reach and your co-workers are not always the brightest. Its not easy to move up once you reach the OSP position.

Great company culture, great experience, great environment, can improve

General Manager (Former Employee) Orlando, FL (US)

ProsExcellent company, decent pay if in a good territory, work/life balance, great leadership, coworkers and exceptional training program. Had the ability to work for 2 great DMs, an RVP that can lead and direct a successful team, and some of the best talent ive seen. Couldn't have asked for a better experience while employed.

ConsHeavy workload, opportunity for growth if trying to follow DM path, no salary raises

Advice to Senior ManagementRVP's should keep an open mind about out of state candidates and give top performers the opportunity to go head to head against your best GMs or you will never know what kind of talent exist out of your comfort zone. Rank your employees A, B, and C. Recognize and retain your A performers before it's too late.

Worked for Fastenal? Contribute to the Community!