FedEx

Updated Jul 23, 2014

3.6 1,058 reviews

FedEx Chairman, President, and CEO Fred Smith

Fred Smith

Pros
  • Depending on which area you work in, there's decent work life balance(in 107 reviews)

• Good benefits which are offered to all employees (full & part time)(in 74 reviews)

Cons
  • Work-life balance is fairly good except during "peak" times(in 21 reviews)

• Heavy responsibilities may require long hours, stressful environment(in 27 reviews)

1,058 Employee Reviews

Import Broker, Stansted Airport, UK

Import Broker (Former Employee) Stansted, England

ProsFedex is a good workplace, pleasant, clean and very well organised. We had free coffee, coffee machine, they also used to deliver fresh fruit every week. Health insurance with Bupa was also on a plus side.

ConsToo narrow minded when it came to changes. Work was monotonous, we were working almost as robots, not allowed talking much during work. No Internet use apart from during breaks. Overtime was not voluntary, we had to stay till workload was done.

Advice to Senior ManagementGood management, perhaps would be better if it was sometimes a bit more open minded to changes.

It is just okay co.

Exports Associate (Former Employee) London, England

ProsThey have Good peoples policy

ConsTheir Management is too rude

Advice to Senior Managementshould be more supportive and unrude

Charging duties and taxed on imported good from overseas.

Import Broker (Former Employee) Stansted, South East England, England

ProsGood salary, nice office, complementary fruits and coffee for employees.

ConsTreating employees as children, disrespect. Involuntary overtime.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen more to your employees, treat them with more respect.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Intern Insights

Marketing Intern (Former Employee) Memphis, TN (US)

ProsThe people at FedEx are amazing. The company pays very well, even its interns. My higher ups did a great job of making me feel comfortable and included. The culture is fun and vibrant. Being such a big company they get to play with the other "big boys."

ConsThere is a lot of red tape to get through at FedEx. Everything has to go through legal and brand scrutiny. Being such a large company, your field of work is very narrow, especially in marketing as there are several teams and multiple directors.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep making sure that your employees feel included and appreciated. Try to facilitate a good work/life balance for salaried employees so they do not burn out.

It has been a good learning experience

Package Handler (Current Employee) Saint Louis, MO (US)

ProsStarted in college, that was the biggest plus. Set hours and good benefits, specifically for students.

ConsAfter a while, you begin to feel not really wanted. And although they say they hire internally it really takes quite a bit for any sort of relocation.

Employed for four years.

Manager (Current Employee)

ProsOverall fair benefits and good experience in terms of the work environment.

ConsYou will need to learn on your own very quickly how to navigate your own success.

Advice to Senior ManagementMore consistency in management development.

Had no problems!

Driver P&D (Former Employee) Baltimore, MD (US)

ProsFlexibility was great. It afforded me a good work/home balance with no surprise calls. For me, working with management was a great experience. The atmosphere was professional yet light and informal enough to achieve great communication.

ConsHaving to bring packages back after-hours - that was a nuisance, even though it didn't happen very often. Would be nice if the eligible Contract employees were offered permanent positions throughout the company and their divisions based on his (her) performance as opposed to hiring outside help after the contract period is over. Makes much more sense to hire whom the management is familiar instead of starting all over again with strangers and having the Contract employees re-apply for permanent spots. For instance, I was offered an on-call spot. Had it been permanent full-time AND a step-up into a CDL-driving position, I would've stayed to this day.

Advice to Senior ManagementApplication process is horrendous! Shouldn't take anyone 4 hours to complete an application, especially when questions are repetitive. May want to consider reworking the online Application program. I do like, however, the way the information was saved in the System, which shaved off some input time to the application. As for the CEO, I can't offer an opinion because I wouldn't know who he is if he walked past me in a grocery store.

Good company to work for.

Fed Ex Courier (Current Employee) Melville, NY (US)

ProsGreat benefits and perks for part time employees.

ConsPart time only. Hard to get full time position.

Advice to Senior ManagementAllow employees to set their own routes as they feel is the most timely.

If you want to do it right and feel good doing it

Technical Quality Architect (Current Employee) Pittsburgh, PA (US)

ProsFedEx makes you feel like you make the world go around (later, you realize you actually do!) - you are taught to live something we call the Purple Promise that simply states "I will make every FedEx experience outstanding". Very soon, you realize that dock loaders, desk workers, strategists, individual contributors, managers and executives actually believe this stuff and care about not just getting the job done but they actually care how you felt before, during and after you did it!! Very strange to most people under pressure to perform but the level of buy-in at the highest levels of the company shows newcomers right away that this company truly puts people first. If you're not feeling good about doing something, they want to know why - genuinely and fix it before you proceed.
    Quality Driven Management - This program has roots into every nook and cranny of operations and IT. FedEx truly believes in continuously improving to get better, finding better ways of doing things, being more efficient, gaining new skills and always pushing the boundaries of achievement while at the same time encouraging employees to live heavy family lives, taking vacations, flexible work from home options (mandatory 2 weeks of work from home) etc.
    When you're feeling this good about your work and your contributions, I challenge you to put out poor work - you can't - it's not possible.

ConsThere aren't enough observed national holidays - I think FedEx (being a worldwide deliver business) only observes 6 National holidays.

People, Service , Profile

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsFedEx is very strong on their culture as they always put people first, before service and profit.

ConsPerks were not great. Pretty normal although the company is giving 2 months of AWS

Worked for FedEx? Contribute to the Community!