Federal Government

Federal Government Reviews

Updated Jul 28, 2014

Federal Government President Barack Obama

Barack Obama

Pros
  • The work life balance is great, the best I have ever experienced (in 25 reviews)

• Job Security with global impact through warfighter supported efforts (in 53 reviews)

Cons
  • Could probably earn substantially more in the private sector with enough experience (in 20 reviews)

• long hours, federal job market is downsizing so its getting harder to find a federal job if thats your choice of emploment (in 13 reviews)

More Highlights

i have 15 year experience in office adminstration

Business Administrator (Current Employee) London, England

Prosi have 15 year experience in office adminstration

Consi m a mature working man know how to work in any department with honesty and respect seniors and well coord with juniors

Advice to Senior Managementwill be informed

great experience

Supply Tech (Current Employee) New Orleans, LA (US)

Prosgreat experience I would recommend this company to anyone. great benefit packages and great people to work with

Consgreat experience I would recommend this company to anyone. great benefit packages and great people to work with

Advice to Senior Managementnone

Great Employer

ProsGreat benefits, living in the government is low key.

ConsRegardless of which part of the government you work in, there are folks who do not work a full day.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Excellent experience and plan to return to the feds again.

IT Specialist (Former Employee) Washington, DC (US)

ProsStability, benefits, challenging projects, work/life balance.

ConsDC commute is horrible, pay is lower than market average - much more money in being a gov contractor and many of those companies have comparable benefits.

Advice to Senior ManagementIncrease COLA and step increases to offset rising cost of insurance premiums and high cost of living in areas like DC/NOVA, San Fran, etc. I wanted to remain a fed, but couldn't afford to live in NOVA. The only affordable housing for a family of 5 was 70 miles south in Fredericksburg, VA.

government

Weapons (Current Employee) Goldsboro, NC (US)

Prospay is good and benefits were great. Great environment to work it and enjoyed the people. Had great time traveling and learning.

ConsMany days worked long hours and had to change work plan based on upper managment ideas and change in procedures. Alot of the good old boys club going around.

Advice to Senior ManagementTake care of your people. There the ones that help you keep your job.

30 years of law enforcement experience at both local and federal level with increasing levels of responsibility.

ProsThe ability to make real improvement and effect changes that make a difference in peoples' lives, with good pay and benefits.

ConsFighting bureaucracy, arcane rules, rugged schedule, pay freezes,etc.

Best job despite negative opinions of public and politicians

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsThe benefits are terrific, including health insurance (with employee paying part), pension (with employee contribution), and 401K, as well as the option of dental and vision and long-term care insurance at employee's expense. Fellow employees are hard-working and congenial.

ConsThere is very little room for advancement. Morale is not good due to sequester, shutdown, wage freeze, and public opinion.

Advice to Senior ManagementMost of the poor opinion of government workers is really attributable to very upper-level workers. These are the people getting the big bonuses, spending on trips and conventions, etc. These executives should better represent the many, many hard-working employees.

Policy, Procurement, and Project Management

Management and Program Analyst (Current Employee) Washington, DC (US)

ProsGreat benefits and pretty good job security
    Lots of opportunities to solve complex problems

ConsAntiquated systems and thinkers
    Somewhat of a tight squeeze on mobility - ESPECIALLY if out of the DC area

Advice to Senior ManagementCreate more opportunities for GS-12 thru GS-15 employees to reside outside of the DC area
    Utilize technology more to minimize redundancies and gain efficiency

Interesting

Program Manager (Former Employee) Augusta, GA (US)

Prostravel, fun, never know what going to happen

Constravel if you don't like it,

Advice to Senior Managementn/a

Good Benefits, questionable management's skills

I Can't Say (Current Employee) Washington, DC (US)

ProsBenefits, union support and scheduled work hours.

ConsSome of the management staff are in their positions because of a buddy system, and unfortunately many of them don't manage by example, nor do they learn how to manage, specially people.

Advice to Senior ManagementIt would be nice of top brass walks through all the different offices and evaluate what's not going on: efficiency and fair treatment.

Worked for Federal Government? Contribute to the Community!