Federal Government

Federal Government Reviews

Updated Apr 13, 2014

Federal Government President Barack Obama

Barack Obama

Pros:
  • "Job Security with global impact through warfighter supported efforts"
    in 49 reviews
  • "The work life balance is great, the best I have ever experienced"
    in 19 reviews
Cons:
  • "Could probably earn substantially more in the private sector with enough experience"
    in 18 reviews
  • "long hours and stressfull enviroment at the end of projects"
    in 10 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

i have 15 year experience in office adminstration

Business Administrator (Current Employee)
London, England

I have been working at Federal Government full-time for more than 10 years

Prosi have 15 year experience in office adminstration

Consi m a mature working man know how to work in any department with honesty and respect seniors and well coord with juniors

Advice to Senior Managementwill be informed

it was a great job

Production Controller (Former Employee)
Hattiesburg, MS (US)

I worked at Federal Government full-time for more than 10 years

ProsI had every weekend and all holidays off.

ConsI was a one woman in a crew of about 23 or more men...

Advice to Senior ManagementStop micromanaging people. They don't always need it and often work better when not treated as children. My former box was notorious for abusing the system. It wasn't that he was a bad guy, he was just only ever at work for a couple of hours each day. He would take the company truck every day and run personal errands and be gone for hours on end and virtually never knew what was going on with the shop or his business or the clients. Then he would be angry at us because he didn't know what was going on. It was frustrating.

Interesting

Claims Assistant (Current Employee)
Jamaica, NY (US)

I have been working at Federal Government full-time for more than 5 years

ProsJob security, family life balance

Conspromotions have been difficult for me

Comfortable Job, Must Be Your Own Advocate to Advance

Senior Auditor (Current Employee)
Arlington, VA (US)

I have been working at Federal Government full-time for more than 3 years

ProsGreat benefits, comfy perks.
Nice salary.
Reasonable and flexible hours.
Work-life balance is awesome.
Bearable.

ConsAdvancement is not easy. Very poltical and favoritism is prevalent.
Job satisfaction linked to rating official/manager. Not many good managers. People promoted to manager without people skills and not able to motivate staff. Very negative people, no screening for managing skills prior to becoming a manager. Diretly impacts every day work life, organizational success and motivation.
Sometimes work is boring. Not always challenging and opporunities to grow and advance are few and far between, depends on manager. Must ask for and make opportunities for yourself.
Low employee morale. Staff unhappy with culture in my office. People leaving due to dissatisfaction of management not including them in decision-making or listening to their concerns.
With sequestration and budget cuts, less financial leverege for training, hiring new staff and travel.

Advice to Senior ManagementI have been at my current job for over 4.5 years. Management should be ne more preventative as opposed to detective and reactive. Ask for regular and 360 feedback from staff as opposed to after-the-fact feedback obtained during mass exit interviews. Senior management surprised that many people quit suddenly and remaining staff are extremely unhappy with current culture and work environment. Performance review system inadequate, not always fair, depends on if your manager likes you, which I am lucky that mine does :) . Promotions based on politics and favoritism. Some people are not good managers and should be evaluated by those they manage (upward feedback). However, as a lower level staff, upward feedback on my managers has never been requested from me by senior management.

Training Director

I have been working at Federal Government full-time

ProsPromotion opportunities were very good in the past

ConsPolicies from home office not always realistic for the field

Excellent career move

I have been working at Federal Government

ProsThe work life balance is great, the best I have ever experienced. Even though I am not putting in 60 hours a week like I was in the privates sector I feel like I get more accomplished in the 40 hours a week I work. Overall the people are great and take their job seriously, plus because most people are with the Federal Government for the long haul you really get a chance to develop some close friendships and working relationships. Great benefits: time off, federal holidays, sick leave and the retirement package can't be beat.

ConsIn the IT field the salaries a little bit lower than the private sector, but the "Pros" more than make up for it. Frustration with red tape, but again that is outweighed by the "Pros". The only way to get promoted is to change jobs.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to the people doing the work prior to making major policy changes to the way we work and IT solutions that are going to be implemented. Differing opinions are a good thing, you don't know it all.

Program Manager

Program Manager (Current Employee)
Patuxent River, MD (US)

I have been working at Federal Government full-time for more than 5 years

ProsStability, good people, good work

ConsMore time based than merit based progression

business manager

I have been working at Federal Government

Prosbenefits, time-off, work-life balance, college loan remibursement

Conslack of leadership, promotion,office culture, politics

Not for me

I have been working at Federal Government

ProsThe Benefits are good but just not worth the time put in, coworkers are some of the best people I have met

ConsLeadership is terrible because they have no spine, pay is some of the worst for the job that is being done, hours are not set hour's so you never know when you're going to finish work

Could be worse, could be much better

Software Engineer (Current Employee)
Washington, DC (US)

I have been working at Federal Government full-time for more than a year

ProsWorking for the federal government is relatively stable. Though that is not as true as it once was, with recent furloughs and talks of Reduction-in-Force (basically, layoffs) thanks to sequestration and budget cuts. Work schedules tend to be very flexible. For people who put in the time, a FERS pension is available, which is better than nothing.

ConsFor typically high paying jobs (such as IT jobs), the GS pay scale is not competitive with the private sector for anyone with a few years of experience. The promotion process depends on the agency, but at my agency, it is only effective at wasting people's time. There tends to be a lot of bureaucratic overhead for even simple things, such as attending a conference. You are at the mercy of Congress and parent agencies, who govern policies about things they know little to nothing about. Most government employees are hard-working, but you do occasionally run into the ineffective employee who is nearly impossible to fire. From my experience, a contracting outcome similar to that of the ACA website contract is pretty common as well. The government usually pays a ton of money to outsource some IT work, and the result is usually something no one would want to use if they had a choice. Of course, there are exceptions.

Advice to Senior ManagementChange government salaries to be competitive with private sector salaries. Why should all skill fields use a single GS pay scale? Get rid of some bureaucratic overhead. Overhaul government IT contracting (or get government employees to do more IT work).

Worked for Federal Government? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Federal Government reviews and ratings - including employee satisfaction and approval ratings for Federal Government CEO Barack Obama. All 335 reviews are posted anonymously by Federal Government employees.