Federal Reserve Board

www.federalreserve.gov

Federal Reserve Board Reviews

Updated Jul 12, 2014

Janet L. Yellen

Pros
  • Great learning opportunities; decent work/life balance; excellent compensation and benefits package(in 12 reviews)

• Opportunity to learn in depth information about monetary policy(in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • Complete disregard for the private sector(in 6 reviews)

• There is an abundance of red tape(in 3 reviews)

As a Web Development Intern, I enjoyed being in DC and Pay was Excellent

Web Development Intern (Former Employee) Washington, DC (US)

ProsGood people, nice environment, awesome buildings and perks that come with being a Board employee. Benefits are also good for employees. Work can get boring but that's just work. When I received my paycheck, it all made sense. Most people who work there are friendly but there is also some politics involved. Duh! I got to meet and take a pic with Ben Bernanke and Janet Yellen. So that was a great experience.

ConsI was given a tedious project from which I did not learn much. Seemed like wax on wax off type of job as an intern but I did my time and earned what I deserved. Actually they overpaid me... how dumb is that, being the Fed. I received an extra paycheck and they've been bugging me about it since.

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease don't be so uptight. Not my manager, but some other interns I observed.

Great place to learn!

Intern (Former Employee) Washington, DC (US)

ProsThe people you come in contact with are generally quite well educated and established in the field.
    Almost everyone is genuinely dedicated to the work.
    Work/home balance is quite good, especially as an intern.
    The programs the Fed offers to interns to learn about different departments within the organization are stellar.

ConsYou will run into a bit bureaucratic red tape but it is far worse in other 'true' Government Departments

Advice to Senior ManagementLook to hire a younger workforce, you may be missing out on some business process innovation.

Great place to work

Senior Research Assistant (Former Employee) Washington, DC (US)

ProsGreat work/life balance, awesome benefits, great colleagues, little office drama/politics (in my section), great technical training, interesting research. This is an absolutely great place to work. 9-5 most of the time. Everyone is very bright and dedicated. Aside from "production" duties, you have autonomy to seek out research projects with different Economists. Management and Economists are very interested in your career development.

ConsCharting work in S-plus for RAs can be a burden, as Economists often don't know what's entailed to complete their requests (during crunch times).

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great place to work.

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Washington, DC (US)

ProsWork / life balance can be very good. Benefits are incredible.

ConsAfter working here for a few years, exciting developmental opportunities are running out. However, the Board does offer money for you to take classes.

Not for a full career

Technology Analyst (Current Employee) Washington, DC (US)

ProsThe benefits are excellent at the Fed.

ConsThere is an abundance of red tape.

Advice to Senior Managementstop signing autographs, swallow your pride and know you're not always right.

Research Assistant- Research & Statistics Division

Research Assistant (Former Employee) Washington, DC (US)

ProsGreat experience, great career development, and great if you want to get into a good Econ PhD program.

ConsThe work load varies, so sometimes you are super busy, others you are kind of looking for things to do.

Your Results May vary

Research Assistant (Current Employee) Washington, DC (US)

ProsWorking with incredibly smart people on interesting and important topics. The amount of training and professional development is immense in terms of acquiring new skills (say, statistical programming) and knowledge (about the part of the economy or markets your section covers). Relatively efficient for a bureaucracy.

ConsPay is way below other options, even with in the federal reserve system. There is a severe lack of intermediate positions to be promoted into. Do your 2 or 3 years and move on unless you have a phd. Some of the technology used can be a bit out dated.

Advice to Senior ManagementThere need to be more positions for intermediate for research assistants to be promoted into that is more akin to a Junior Economist rather than a Financial Analyst. It makes no sense to train students for 2 or 3 years and essentially give them the boot.

Great experience -- one of best in government

ProsInteresting work at high level
    Decent work/life balance usually
    Collegial
    Great benefits

ConsSlow promotion
    Lack of management transparency
    Sometimes long hours for needless reasons

Advice to Senior ManagementBetter insight into career advancement/more training

Research Assistant

Senior Research Assistant (Former Employee) Washington, DC (US)

ProsClosely working in an academic environment. You bosses are very smart an really take an interest in you. There is a built in social scene with many other 22 y/o starting their first job with you. Can really help you get into PhD programs.

ConsThe pay is not as good as other options. Sometimes the work can be quite tedious. It is a little overwhelming at the beginning.

Good working environment

Auditor (Current Employee) Washington, DC (US)

ProsGood work/life balance
    Paid time off
    Education Assistance

ConsOpportunities for Advancement
    Bureaucratic
    Management competence is lacking

Worked for Federal Reserve Board? Contribute to the Community!