Federal Reserve Board

Updated 26 January 2015
Updated 26 January 2015
4.2

Janet L. Yellen

Pros
  • Great learning opportunities; decent work/life balance; excellent compensation and benefits package (in 14 reviews)

• Opportunity to learn in depth information about monetary policy (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • Complete disregard for the private sector (in 6 reviews)

• There is an abundance of red tape (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights

The Federal Reserve Board is a great place to work with excellent benefits package

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC (US)

I have been working at Federal Reserve Board full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Salary is competitive with private sector
    Outstanding benefits package
    Outstanding retirement package
    They encourage annual staff training\conferences
    Flexible schedule, telecommuting
    Annual pay increases based on merit (i.e. you earned it)

Cons

Restrictions on gift acceptance such as training conference freebees
    Promotions (pay grade increase and management positions) seem to be based less on merit and ability but more on who you know, who you haven't pissed off and if you're not too old (promoted managers tend to skew on the younger spectrum < 35)
    No parking garage for non-management employees

The Golden Handcuffs are alluring

Current Employee - Analyst in Washington, DC (US)
    Current Employee - Analyst in Washington, DC (US)

I have been working at Federal Reserve Board full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

The pay is far more aggressive than what you'll find on the GS scale for government work. The Fed straddles both the government and private industry fence, so you can get the best (and worst) of both worlds. Merit increases have been solid (even through the financial meltdown) and year-end bonuses make holiday shopping enjoyable. The benefits are extensive; health stipends, employer-paid pension, and a 7% match on your 401(k). Plenty of time off options between vacation, personal days, and the "snow" days when the rest of government freaks out because it *might* snow. Telework has taken off and some areas are two-three days a week. Promotions are tough once you hit mid-career level as no one seems to leave. Hence, it a waiting list to move up in your current role.

Cons

Best way to get promoted is to leave and come back after two years. Some divisions seem stuck in the 1950's (here's looking at you IT) and others prefer the bleeding edge. There is a fair amount of fiefdom and silos still exist. At times, it operates closer to a dozen private businesses (divisions) all fighting over the same scraps. Why? We turned over $100 billion to Treasury last year as "profit." Yes, some areas are content to let employees "retire in place" and get paid so long as they can still fog a mirror. Others run so lean an operation, the typical workweek is 7am-7pm, five days a week. Get your staffing levels right on both sides of that aisle.

360 reviews are long-overdue; there needs to be some form of peer/customer feedback. Employees are rated and "at risk" of losing their jobs every year; employees stuck with a bad manager should be allowed to "fire" the manager as well through some means other than quitting. Some managers are technically great, but have zero "people manager" skills. If I'm a technical expert, let me chase that path and leaves the management track to those who want it (subject matter experts should be allowed to make more than their manager - aka "dot com" era). If you want top talent, you're going to have to pay for it (better salaries, faster promotions, bigger bonuses, getting rid of knucklehead managers, etc.). I have every intention of retiring from the Fed. I believe in her mission and the "higher purpose" of what we do. I just want to be certain what I do matters. I don't need to be "private island" rich, but I don't want to live paycheck-to-paycheck either (which is very easy to do trying to raise a family in DC).

Interesting and important work with a good work/life balance

Former Employee - Financial Services Analyst in Washington, DC (US)
    Former Employee - Financial Services Analyst in Washington, DC (US)

I worked at Federal Reserve Board

Pros

interesting work, intelligent people, work/life balance

Cons

very limited view of the overall machine that is the US central bank; work is interesting but very narrow

increase cross-divisional interactions and exchange programs across the Board

Internship

Former Employee - Intern in Washington, DC (US)
    Former Employee - Intern in Washington, DC (US)

I worked at Federal Reserve Board

Pros

Great organization to do an internship with. I worked with a lot of smart economists in one of the research divisions, and was exposed to really interesting problems.

Cons

I wish I would have had an opportunity to work more with the other summer interns, but my work was largely an individual project.

Benefits

Current Employee - Attorney
    Current Employee - Attorney

I have been working at Federal Reserve Board full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Awesome...matching 401k program up to 7%

Cons

No cons to add about the Fed.

None

Great place

I have been working at Federal Reserve Board full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Fascinating work that matters for the world

Cons

Bureaucracy that is outdated, and terrible IT

Internship at its best

I have been working at Federal Reserve Board

Pros

Great HR team. They want you to grow. Very organized. You actually work as a regular employee

Cons

I don't have anything to say

I had a great experience and learned a lot that I can use to further my career development.

Former Employee - Student Intern in Washington, DC (US)
    Former Employee - Student Intern in Washington, DC (US)

I worked at Federal Reserve Board as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

Everyone is easy to work with. Great work-life balance. Provides a comfortable atmosphere where you can learn and develop your career. Fantastic benefits. A lot of chances to grow by moving to different divisions and promoting form within.

Cons

Compensation is an issue in regard to turnover. Doesn't have an undergraduate development program that would be very helpful. Start to get younger employees who are more motivated to learn and go the extra mile. Have to earn a master's degree for a lot of the positions.

Focus on decreasing turnover. Increase communication across divisions.

Good pre-doctoral experience

I have been working at Federal Reserve Board

Pros

Relaxed, good colleagues, exposure to exclusive datasets

Cons

Maybe too much freedom for some overachievers. Also, no good schools to use academic assistance package near the vincinity

Federal Reserve Board Photos