Ferrellgas Partners

Updated 20 October 2014
2.9

Ferrellgas Partners CEO Stephen L. Wambold
Stephen L. Wambold

I had a great experience with Ferrellgas.

Current Employee - Customer Service Specialist in Walterboro, SC (US)
    Current Employee - Customer Service Specialist in Walterboro, SC (US)

I have been working at Ferrellgas Partners full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Staff are friendly and office setting is nice.

Cons

A lot of multi-tasking is required.

Current Employee - Driver in Pittsburgh, PA (US)
    Current Employee - Driver in Pittsburgh, PA (US)

I have been working at Ferrellgas Partners full-time (less than an year)

Pros

easy work good pay if you like to drive then this is a decent full time job for you to do

Cons

Long winter hours slow in the summer you will drive alot and cannot plan your own routes company has people for tjhat

Avoid if at all possible

Former Employee - Network Engineer in Liberty, MO (US)
    Former Employee - Network Engineer in Liberty, MO (US)

I worked at Ferrellgas Partners full-time (less than an year)

Pros

The network team is generally pleasant and easy-going if not for a few downsides.

Cons

Middle management and up does not give two craps about you. Compensation is extremely noncompetitive, and any excuse will be used to prevent any types of bonus, raises or promotions. Multiple members of staff were only promoted after basically threatening to quit.

Any form of budget is severely constrained, whether it be toward equipment or staff. There are still devices in production over 15 years old which refuse to be addressed as the 'if it ain't broke don't fix it' mentality is the prominent force driving all IT decisions here. Poor deployment solutions also squander what little funding is provided.

Personal growth and training were completely non-existent. Existing staff actively block out others from engaging in work activities as a form of job security. Instead of cross-training into a more effective and capable team, you are only given basic, generalized and repetitive tasks. It's probably the most boring job I'd ever been subjected to (please note 'job' and not 'career').

At least try to vaguely value your employees. Realize that nobody is going to go out of their way to accept an under-allocated salary/lifestyle and poor treatment when your company is clearly not strapped for income. Perhaps revise your overly aggressive (and nonsensical) policies which do nothing but drive staff away from your company, rather than use them as an excuse for inaction or inability to make effective decisions.

Good company to work for with two distinct seasons.

Former Employee - Various Management
    Former Employee - Various Management

I worked at Ferrellgas Partners full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great training program for new managers. At least back in 2001, and I don't know why they would have gotten away from it since then.

Cons

A lot of management positions were eliminated when the company started centralizing a lot of the business. This provided a challenge to see future growth opportunities.
    If you are in operations, you will go home smelling like ethylmercaptain frequently. You will get so use to the smell that you will not even realize that you have that odor with you.

I enjoy my driving job.

Current Employee - Driver
    Current Employee - Driver

I have been working at Ferrellgas Partners full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Plenty of overtime in the winter. Steady work. In my area they don't lay off driver's seasonally like lots of other propane companies do. Room for growth if you are dedicated and patient.

Cons

Your work schedule can vary as fat as days and hours of duty. On call rotation is tough but manageable.

Listen to the drivers more.

High stress, very high performance expectations

I worked at Ferrellgas Partners

Pros

Work week consists of Monday - Friday, 8-5, weekends off except for an occasional Saturday due to very cold winter or snow storm. Holidays off with pay decent salary.

Cons

Sitting for 8 hours with a head phone talking with 50 % disgruntled customers due to pricing or urgent need for propane, extreme expectations to perform other duties in an unrealistic alloted time frame. 60% focus on stock holders, 20% focus on employees and 20% focus on customers.

Since the company's expectations are so high and the stress level is extreme, think of ways to boost office morale and use group incentives instead of individual. The office runs better as one well oiled machine instead of several neglected machines.

Worst Employer Ever

Current Employee - Customer Service Specialist
    Current Employee - Customer Service Specialist

I have been working at Ferrellgas Partners full-time (more than an year)

Pros

I liked the people I worked with out of my office and the other offices.

Cons

Training, Unorganized, Pay is just above poverty, Upper management micromanages everyone, Constantly changing the expectations, No power to the field personnel to make any decisions at all.

Put more trust in your field personnell to be able to make a decision based on the issues at hand.

Lots of opportunity to advance your career and position while enjoying a solid work-life balance

Current Employee - Business Analyst in Kansas City, MO (US)
    Current Employee - Business Analyst in Kansas City, MO (US)

I have been working at Ferrellgas Partners full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Corporate office has a fun health and family oriented culture, relaxed dress code, great benefits. Flexibility to work different hours and work from home on occasion. This is the most technologically advanced propane company in the world. Work-life balance is excellent.

Cons

There is a bit of silo mentality that exists between corporate departments. Bonuses are dependent upon total company performance which hinges on cold winters and/or low product cost, warm winters with high product cost have resulted in layoffs.

Keep up the great work.

Don't work here!

Former Employee - Bulk Driver in Negaunee, MI (US)
    Former Employee - Bulk Driver in Negaunee, MI (US)

I worked at Ferrellgas Partners full-time (more than an year)

Pros

If things were different, then I could give some pros. The only pro I can think of is that the company is safe conscience.

Cons

Recent company focus/vision change has caused company to fully have the corporate mentality which doesn't care about customers, but instead, just how the numbers look. Also, management where I looked were all about hiring employees that are related in some way, and screwing over veteran employees. Also, the company (especially HR) does not care when an employee clearly was bullied and intimidated by management to the point of anxiety and doing the right thing when it was needed.

Collections Specialist

Current Employee - Collections Specialist in Liberty, MO (US)
    Current Employee - Collections Specialist in Liberty, MO (US)

I have been working at Ferrellgas Partners full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Dress code is very fair . Jeans and shirt. Just no flip flops and holes in the jeans

Cons

No Flex in Schedule . Benefits are not very good. Pay Scale is low.

Have a better open door policy. Higher management is not friendly. HR does not answer Questions ? They say you must go to your direct supervisor. Then when you do that they guess at the answer

Ferrellgas Partners Photos

A Ferrellgas Driver delivers propane.
A Ferrellgas Employee helps a Customer on the phone.
Ferrellgas propane delivery truck.

+ Add Photo