First Acceptance Corporation

1.8

Mark Kelly

UNPROFESSIONAL

I have been working at First Acceptance Corporation

Pros

The only pro I can think of was getting paid.

Cons

Working for FAC was the worst experience of my career. Upper management's treatment of its employees was demoralizing. Marketing strategies from the 80's, such as tear sheets, and placing fliers on car windshields, while selling an above average market price product, and still blaming the in-store employee for low sales, is not good business, but it is easier than trying to figure out what is really wrong and fixing it.

Upper management does not give any credence to any ideas they have not come up with themselves. No need for me to advise them from here.

Some fine people have worked for this company over the years. Too bad they left.

Current Employee - Employee  in  Nashville, TN (US)
    Current Employee - Employee in Nashville, TN (US)

I have been working at First Acceptance Corporation full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

You get a paycheck (don't count on raises or cost of living). You get PTO (will help when you start looking for a new job). Minimal amount of micromanaging, but then again the company is just leaving the 20th Century when it comes to technology.

Cons

Upper management is controlled by majority stock holder. Upper management lacks any ethics or morals. Upper management has had no qualms taking substantial yearly bonuses while wages have been frozen for years. Poor morale in all offices. Benefits are sub-par for industry.

Realize who's backs you are riding on. It wasn't your hard work that made this company profitable.

The company has been around a long time, but has had it's ups and downs over the years.

Former Employee - Insurance Agent
    Former Employee - Insurance Agent

I worked at First Acceptance Corporation full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

You are not always sitting at your desk, due to the ability to leave the office and market. You are your own manager with the help of a district manager when needed. You get to meet diverse people and handle diverse situations as well.

Cons

Marketing is okay, but being out off the office too much leaves less chances for the agent to meet and see who their new customers are and less chances of getting to talk to them and getting to know them. Some long-time customers may hardly see the agent in the office and think the agent is no longer employed there. Also, mostly all company organizations assign sales territories for each sales person that is out in the sales field; and Acceptance Insurance does not do this so agents end up competing with each other for sales referrals.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Get paid more to deal with more BS!

I have been working at First Acceptance Corporation full-time for more than a year

Pros

Pay. Florida Agent pay is great. Region 2 manager is great, he's helpful and seems genuinely concerned most of the time.

Cons

CSR pay is terrible, CSRs never get raises and they do most of the physical work as they are the ones left in the office on a daily basis to do EVERYTHING while the agent is out marketing and bringing in the business.
    Hours- when hired they tell you you'll only work 1-2 Saturdays a month, now it's required that everyone is there EVERY Saturday. There are months of blackout periods in which you are not allowed to request or take PTO. I see my family about an hour each day M-Sa.
    Clients- A lot of clients are rude, unappreciative, and MEAN.
    Product- the company boasts a great product but their rates are the highest in the state, the coverage that they push their agents/CSRs to sell is below state minimum requirements. Even if we try to push better or higher limits, our rates are not competitive.
    Management- for the most part the company is very disorganized and one manager will tell you one thing and the next will tell you something else. You never really know what's going on.
    Co-workers- many of the agents/CSRs and even some of the DMs are uneducated and unprofessional. The emails that they send out corporate wide are at a 6th grade writing/grammar/content level.
    Tax preparation- while it was a solid shot in the dark to incorporate tax preparation into our job duties, it's a halfway attempt. The agents/CSRs are unprepared, nervous and already bogged down with a bigger work load during the tax season.
    Software- I'm not sure what the excuse is for the software used at this company but it's absurd! We're still using an old DOS program called AS400! I'm assuming it's cheaper to keep this program and not upgrade but it makes our daily duties harder, more time consuming, billing and endorsements are CONSTANTLY incorrect and we're limited to what we can do to a policy compared to more standard insurance policy management systems.
    Advertisement- I'm all for agents marketing using B2B and face to face concepts but it's almost 2014 and they are just now getting TV commercials in Florida. Stop wasting time on 'stickies' that do NOT stick and instead litter parking lots and anger people whose cars we're touching without their consent and in parking lots we're constantly ran out of!!
    Benefits- we recently completed benefit reelections and OMG... they told us how excited we should be about the changes to come etc etc... Guess what?! Our health insurance benefits have decreased and our premiums have DOUBLED!!!! I had to go from an 80/20 plan to a 70/30 plan just to be able to take home a paycheck and I'm still paying $30ish more per pay period!

Stop micromanaging and start listening to your agents and CSRs! Training needs to be more consistent and thorough. Florida is your biggest money maker, please make it easier for agents/CSRs to sell a decent product and not bullied into selling PIP/PD policies with add-ons just so we can make goal. Please consider a software upgrade for the policy management system! Company moral is low, low, LOW, we feel overworked and tricked into working so much while corporate taunts the 'be at work and reap the benefits' phrase. I'm sorry, family is more important and we should be allowed at LEAST rotating Saturdays, please!

Management has no concern for the employees

I worked at First Acceptance Corporation full-time

Pros

There are some good dedicated long term employees there.

Cons

Poor Management, they don't communicate or have any concern for their employees.

Management is terrible, clueless and arrogant...

Former Employee - Agent  in  Atlanta, GA (US)
    Former Employee - Agent in Atlanta, GA (US)

I worked at First Acceptance Corporation full-time for more than a year

Pros

You get to know the customers really well and form relationships with a lot of really good people.

Cons

Everything else...low pay, long hours, high pressure, poor management. Financially unstable with a bleak outlook. Lot's of turnover. Front line employees (Agents & CSR's) have no voice.District and Regional Managers who do not have a clue (or Insurance license).

Sell the company to someone who knows what they're doing!!

Company that does not care about front line, bad communication. Never really sure what is going on. LOTS of turnover

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative/Agent
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative/Agent

I worked at First Acceptance Corporation full-time for less than a year

Pros

My pay is ok, but the hours worked cancel that out.

Cons

You never have a full understanding or complete answer for customers, which hurts your credibility with clients/businesses in area. Mangers require a lot of ridiculous reports and goals that interrupt day to day activities. Big changes in schedules are made two days before they go in to effect so no one can prepare for them. Most issues you have with company are ignored by managers, but if there is an issue with you, you are contacted immediately for questioning. Training is not adequate nor informal about actual LAW versus SELLING.

Moral is low - employees don't trust employer (if they are smart employees) to do what they say they will do.
    Follow through with what you say you are going to do.
    Put more faith in your employees, or maybe if you would be trustworthy yourself then you would actually be able to trust others.

Do not work for this company - stay on unemployment!

Current Employee - Corporate Nobody  in  Nashville, TN (US)
    Current Employee - Corporate Nobody in Nashville, TN (US)

I have been working at First Acceptance Corporation full-time for less than a year

Pros

Free coffee - that's about it

Cons

Executive management is unethical, and fires anyone that stands up and tries to do the right thing
    Education is not valued, and they choose to hire individuals with no education so they can get off "cheaper"
    president of the company hires all his friends from other bankrupt companies and then collects an $800.00 referral fee when they are hired
    Solid employees that are trying to make a difference are fired or run off because they dare to refuse to commit fraud or discriminate
    Members of the executive team that have been hired by the President as friends are actually inept at basic job functions, and make perilous business decisions everyday due to their ignorance.
    Agents/CSR's are told to work six days a week as a salaried employee, and not given a day off between Dec-Apr - if they object, they are fired.
    There is no one to go to with grievances because the corruption starts at the top - there are no employee advocates
    Company policies are followed at whim, if they are even interpreted correctly by Executive Management - most of the time, decisions are made without regard to company policy or precedent
    Acceptance is the lowest paying company in this industry, they KNOW it, and they don't care.

-Stop intimidating employees and threatening them with their jobs if they don't want to be complicit in discriminatory/illegal activities
    -Stop hiring your friends and getting rid of anyone that actually knows how to do their job
    -Stop taking kickbacks, referral fees and bonuses illicitly when your employees haven't seen a raise in almost three years
    -Stop firing employees for telling you that a business decision you have made/are making is not only illegal, but not in the best interest of the company
    -Stop referring to the front line employees as "chattel" and treating them like dogs - you catch more flies with honey.
    -Stop lying to peoples faces
    -Stop lining your pockets while the lowest paid employees in your company, the ones that MAKE the profit, go uncompensated.

Good 'Ole Boys Club

I worked at First Acceptance Corporation full-time for more than a year

Pros

Agents and field personnel are great to work with and really care about their customers. They go the extra mile.

Cons

New management is sometimes unethical, and manages by intimidation. Field is left to fend for the themselves in making sales goals.

Get out of the ivory tower and visit your stores. Listen to the field for suggestions. Hire some women in management for goodness sake!

Bleak - you could be underpaid, not valued, and bullied elsewhere!! Check out Alfa Visions, or any of the competitors!

Current Employee - Corporate Peon  in  Nashville, TN (US)
    Current Employee - Corporate Peon in Nashville, TN (US)

I have been working at First Acceptance Corporation full-time

Pros

Your coworkers will come together with you in a "we're all in this together" kind of way. You'll meet people who will give you a reference for the real job you get after this one.

Cons

Benefits are terrible (government assistance is better), pay is terrible, upper management is a joke - the president hires his friends in and collects referral bonuses on them. No real investment in people, just a lot of hot air, and the people that really want to make a difference are sidelined/punished from coming forward.to improve how things are. Unethical, unprofessional, poorly managed from the highest levels.

Quit hiring your buddies from bankrupt companies, bother to learn how an actual insurance business and claims work, and quit letting the President get referral bonuses for his old drinking buddies - everyone's talking about how wrong that is, and it's embarrassing. I've been here for years, and they keep lying about how it's getting better - it's really not, and we all can see it. It probably looks good when you're raking in fat bonuses and referral fees!!

Worked for First Acceptance Corporation? Contribute to the Community!