First Niagara Financial

John R. Koelmel

LOTS of responsibilites

Former Employee - Teller
    Former Employee - Teller

I worked at First Niagara Financial full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

You get lots of free stuff. Blankets, key chains, pens, etc.

Cons

You have more than one job to do and getting referrals means everything in the company. They have also been laying off people randomly and demoting some as well.

Lower the teller referrals

Why can't I give this company zero stars? horrible pay and treatment of employees

Former Employee - Teller and Notary in Huntingdon Valley, PA (US)
    Former Employee - Teller and Notary in Huntingdon Valley, PA (US)

I worked at First Niagara Financial part-time (less than an year)

Pros

No pros but i guess there are worse jobs. Good part time job if you don't need to work

Cons

At FNFG they expect their employees to bend over backwards for the company as far as scheduling is concerned; however trying to call out due to an illness or providing less than two weeks notice for any time off is met with retaliation. I missed three days of work over the summer due to a medical procedure and two sick days. Due to this "pattern" of missing work (disregarding 11 months of working whatever hours asked and never calling out) I was informed that I was no longer in consideration for promotion from part time to full time. The pay at first niagara for a teller is not enough to support a single individual, especially if you need benefits. The pay for a teller is around 400 per week (assuming you are given 40 hours) the benefits cost 135 a week. Leaving about 900 a month before taxes for housing, food, and transportation. I was hired as a 35 hour per week part time employee and was reduced to 25 hours per week later with no notice. Luckily I was able to find another job and leave. First Niagara constantly changes their account requirements and fees while hiding notices to customers in small print on statements, leaving their tellers to explain the policy changes and new charges. the amount of responsibility and salesmanship that is expected at fnfg they grossly undervalue their employees. I would not recommend this company for a relationship for anyone as an employee or as a customer.

Pay your employees a livable wage and stop lying to prospective employees about how many hours they will be scheduled each week.

Needs Improvement

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lockport, NY (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lockport, NY (US)

I have been working at First Niagara Financial as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

Small enough not become utterly capricious and random, like Bank of America. Also small enough to still be somewhat responsive to reality on the ground.

Cons

Middle management ranks are becoming like all others in the banking industry; that is, simple power players and not problem solvers and protectors of assets.

When you import management talent from other banks, understand that you are also importing some of the worst aspects of American banking culture. STUDY the science of what makes for good managers, and you have to WORK HARDER to keep your sense of "great culture" that you are in jeopardy of losing as we speak.

First Niagara has a local feel for a large company

Current Employee - Intern in Buffalo, NY (US)
    Current Employee - Intern in Buffalo, NY (US)

I have been working at First Niagara Financial as an intern (more than an year)

Pros

FNFG was very flexible and the culture was great. I learned a lot from upper management.

Cons

Working in a cube, you aren't able to interact as much with fellow coworkers.

WPA wants out!

Former Employee - No Thanks in Pittsburgh, PA (US)
    Former Employee - No Thanks in Pittsburgh, PA (US)

I worked at First Niagara Financial full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

The culture that is created in most branches are special and unique...for the most part and it's a job in a bad economy.

Cons

This place is falling apart at the seams. Terrible leadership and no direction. Employees are over worked as jobs have been over the past two years. Branch staff can not take a lunch b/c of staff shortages. Advancements are often given to good old boys club rather than individuals that actually work hard and deserve it. No supplies no water no marketing whatsoever no technology no customers no presence. Oh yeah...we are going double and triple your goals. Wonder why they would do that Nothing makes sense at First Niagara.

Respect your employees for what they do everyday in the extremely poor environment in which you have created. Most are disengaged, fed up, and over it.

It's ok

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Phila, PA (US)
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Phila, PA (US)

I worked at First Niagara Financial full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Good team environment and culture

Cons

Unorganize and the training is sub par

Pay attention

Could Be Worse, Could Be a Lot Better

Current Employee - No Thanks in Buffalo, NY (US)
    Current Employee - No Thanks in Buffalo, NY (US)

I have been working at First Niagara Financial full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

It seems that most individuals have good intentions, provide good customer service and care about the company. There appears to be a strong business plan and an emphasis from Senior Management on carrying that plan through. The company is ambitious and all the acquisitions seem to have worked out.

Cons

The "happy" culture they promote is fake. They overwork and undervalue employees. The environment is cutthroat. All the acquisitions brought in too many different groups of people and nobody has direction except for where they used to work.
    Many mid-level managers are power hungry and have no problem throwing an employee under the bus in order to save themselves. Employees who give even the slightest push back receive retaliation and are outcast and made to feel bad.
    What we use in the branches works for the most part but it takes too long to get customers what they need. Even small transactions take too long and there are a lot of headaches. Equipment breaks a lot compared to where else I been.
    No appreedciation and unrealistic expectations and they keep quietly cutting jobs and we are expected to pick up the work of people who leave or are let go without bringing in more people.

They don't care. They live in a different environment than we do and don't see, or care to see, what's really going on.

Stressfull

Current Employee - Teller in Rockland, NY (US)
    Current Employee - Teller in Rockland, NY (US)

I have been working at First Niagara Financial full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Jeans Day, lovely teller system, fun work environment, make your own branch signage

Cons

goals are very high and there is a lot of pressure when it comes to making them.

Stop giving unreasonable goals and get a better incentive program for the tellers

Financial Sales Assistant

I worked at First Niagara Financial full-time

Pros

Great company when it started out, very involved in helping you obtain licensing and learning the business

Cons

Can be disorganized as they continue to grow and buy other banks, current employee's can feel forgotten about as other employees coming on board from the bank's First Niagara bought seem to take top priority

Don't forget about the employee's who helped make you who you are today

Horrible Place to work

Current Employee - Teller Supervisor
    Current Employee - Teller Supervisor

I have been working at First Niagara Financial full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Not many, Benefits are pretty good for now but word of insurance being cut some next year is circulating.

Cons

company does not care about employees at all. Raises are measly if you are lucky to get one. Most locations are short staffed at all times so you end up not being able to take break while customers yell at you for making them wait.

give up and sell. Most employees here have given up and are looking elsewhere.