First Republic (CA)

Updated 21 November 2014
3.3

First Republic (CA) Chairman and CEO James H. Herbert II
James H. Herbert II

Pros
  • Co-workers are extremely competent and focused on customer service both internal and external (in 6 reviews)

• Eagles cafe, good working environment, some great people to work with (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • No work life balance, it is almost frowned upon if you only work an 8 hour day (in 4 reviews)

• Budget cuts interfere with department goals while upper management continues to pressure for results (in 6 reviews)

More Highlights

Entrepreneurial spirit

I have been working at First Republic (CA) full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great employees, fun atmosphere, limited bureaucracy. Make what you want of your career here - you aren't placed into a box and can only stay put or move up on that one track, you can make the most of your career and do whatever you want to do.

Cons

Basically no work-life balance. Needs to start to be more competitive with the rest of the job industry in allowing flex-time/personal days/work from home benefits/etc.

If you want First Republic to act like a start-up an attract entrepreneurial individuals, you need to offer the same perks that those other companies offer.

Entrepreneurial, independent yet collaborative work environment!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA (US)

I have been working at First Republic (CA) full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

If you are ready to work hard and really care about the work you put out, this is a great place to work. If you are looking for a 9 AM to 5 PM job, this isn't the place for you. I am empowered and encouraged to represent the Bank to the best of my ability each and every day. I am trusted to bestow the Bank's vision upon our new hires. My career path is what I make of it and I am happy.

Cons

Some internal systems are outdated.
    New hire onboarding process is cumbersome and delayed.

Trying to hold on to the good things

I have been working at First Republic (CA) (more than 8 years)

Pros

Great locations, some amazing people, great client relationships, solid brand, excellent markets, history of being nimble and flexible. Really great company values.

Cons

Silos, infighting, politics, distrust, and apathy. Individuals in very senior positions are "checked out" and it has been allowed to languish and hasn't been addressed. We've lost that "start-up" feel as we have hired more and more people from long established banks and large companies who expect a very different work pace and balance.

Your vision is not being shared equally across the company. You are relying on your senior managers to spread your message but it is not happening. You need to be in closer contact to ALL of the employees here at the bank, spend time on every floor and with every team. We need to pry open the closed office doors and you need to lead by example.

horrible management in deposit operations

Current Employee - CAR in San Francisco, CA (US)
    Current Employee - CAR in San Francisco, CA (US)

I have been working at First Republic (CA) full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Peers and co-workers can be really wonderful, cheap cafe, great benefits

Cons

management in deposit services is terrible. They sweep problems away instead of addressing them. They have hire individuals into management roles who only do their bidding instead of helping the folks on the team. If you're going to work for this team stay on the client facing team not the other as the management is stronger on that side. The golden child of current BSA/AML functions is condescending and rude AND is dating one of the individuals within her purview. There is no concern for the well being of the staff and when complaints are made they are quickly squashed. The team plays favorites while the majority of the team takes the brunt of the work and verbal abuse.

Don't hide problems. Take care of your people. People from top really need to really spend time with the people below. Don't hide your issues, take care of them! Really look at the line managers on your teams and the bosses that seem to protect or hide their inadequacies.

data analyst

I have been working at First Republic (CA)

Pros

people are nice. Cheat meal.

Cons

high work load, and overtime

First Republic bank is a place that you can grow a career.

Current Employee - Branch Manager in San Francisco, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Branch Manager in San Francisco, CA (US)

I have been working at First Republic (CA) full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Best reason to work here is that they treat there employees well and pay well

Cons

There are not many locations of branches like the big banks.

I love working at First Republic Bank!

Current Employee - Team Support in New York, NY (US)
    Current Employee - Team Support in New York, NY (US)

I have been working at First Republic (CA) full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Thre are many reasons to love working at First Republic Bank - the culture, the people, your opinion matters and you are empowered to make decisions. We truly live our values! The work environment is positive and welcoming. The team is knowledgable and hard working. I love that our opinions matter! Senior leadership takes suggestions and implements those suggestions that make sense. I am thrilled to be employed at this great company.

Cons

Our systems and manual processes can be challenging at times. As we grow we will need to invest in new systems and infrastructure that will enhance efficiencies and mitigate regulartory risk. Executive leadership is strong, however we need help grow the bench strength in the field and determine if all leaders are in the right roles.

Investment in systems and infrastucture will help the organization prepare for the future and protect the enterprise. Create leadership classes to help grow and develop the bench strength.

World class

Current Employee - Associate in San Francisco, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Associate in San Francisco, CA (US)

I have been working at First Republic (CA) full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Family atmosphere, unrequited learning experiences, great benefits

Cons

Need more clarity regarding uphill movement

Personal Banker

Former Employee - Personal Banker in San Diego, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Personal Banker in San Diego, CA (US)

I worked at First Republic (CA) full-time (more than an year)

Pros

They are really committed to their employees and there is a strong sense of loyalty. Really amazing quarterly and yearly incentives. It's more like working for a community bank since you establish such a great rapport with the clients. Management is great and there really isn't any micromanagement. As long as you do what's expected of you, you'll do fine.

Cons

The clients can at times be a bit demanding since they are often very successful and time is of the essence for them.

N/A

The mismanagement of the Deposit Services area.

Current Employee - CIF Specialist in San Francisco, CA (US)
    Current Employee - CIF Specialist in San Francisco, CA (US)

I have been working at First Republic (CA) full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

First Republic has a great 401K retirement plan. The subsidized cafe is a fun perk. The company's intranet is a great resource for both researching polices and locating staff.

Cons

Deposit services function was to support various departments, branches, and clients. Those days are over. There is no team work as that is discouraged. If you did not come from Union Bank, then there will be no room for advancement. The accountability program implemented by the upper management is a sham. It is a very unhealthy place to work.

Please look into why upper management needs to continually hire consultants and temps. They are constantly adding layers under themselves to try to protect themselves. As they get rid of staff who understood their jobs and the First Republic philosophy, the amount of fines will increase in dollar amounts as they disregard governmental regulations. I see a cease and desist order coming soon.

First Republic (CA) Photos