Flagstar Bancorp

Updated 14 September 2014
2.5

Flagstar Bancorp President & CEO Alessandro P. DiNello
Alessandro P. DiNello

Pros
  • Competitive pay, normal hours, good benefits, good PTO, opportunity to move up (in 5 reviews)

• Some good people who mean well, but quality leadership is sorely lacking (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • And often changes in upper management in the last 3 or 4 years (in 7 reviews)

• Flagstar has little room for advancement (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights

Fantastic internship program!

Current Employee - Data Governance  in  Troy, MI (US)
    Current Employee - Data Governance in Troy, MI (US)

I have been working at Flagstar Bancorp full-time for less than a year

Pros

As an intern, you are treated as an equal and they make sure to train you for the banking environment just as they would for any other role.

At other companies, a peer was my mentor. At Flagstar, my supervisor was my mentor and she made sure that I was recieving the best experience possible by introducing me to technologies that would help to advance my career. More importantly, she was never too busy for me and was willing to spend as much time to help me gain an understanding as to what is expected. She wanted me to know what my role was and to be able to confidently talk about my tasks. This is not the type of internship filled with fetching coffee for the superiors and filing. They definitely expose you to important tasks that are meaningful to the company.

Aside from learning my role, I was also encouraged to explore other roles by setting up short meetings so that I can watch their day-to-say activities. This is helpful for those who are undecided in what they want to pursue an advanced degree in because you have the opportunity to watch each role in a work environment opposed to classroom curriculum.

I can't say enough good things about this internship experience. Not only do they want you to succeed while working for them, but also in your future career.

Cons

Very short internship (3 months) with no opportunity for job placement afterwards. No benefits.

AVP in the National Sales and Development Department

Former Employee - Assistant Vice President National Sales  in  Troy, MI (US)
    Former Employee - Assistant Vice President National Sales in Troy, MI (US)

I worked at Flagstar Bancorp full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

I really enjoyed the work that I did and the people I worked with. They had great benefits that included, health insurance, vacation time, and 401K.

Cons

After working at Flagstar for 18 years, I was not able to advance any further within the company and due to downsizing, my position was combined with another area and my position eliminated.

My advise to management would be better communication. They had a tendency to keep the companies financial position and/or plans amongst themselves, leaving those that were in jeopardy of loosing their jobs without an opportunity to find other employment.

Challenging

Current Employee - Supervisor Servicing  in  Troy, MI (US)
    Current Employee - Supervisor Servicing in Troy, MI (US)

I have been working at Flagstar Bancorp full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Safe environment, good cafeteria and relaxed dress code

Cons

Business units don't support bank mission

Support your employees, they are human beings not work horses

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Mostly a good tenure here.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Troy, MI (US)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Troy, MI (US)

I worked at Flagstar Bancorp full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Compensation is fair, benefits are very good, co workers are wonderful, nice cafe downstairs for breakfast lunch and snacks. Its a business casual atmosphere.

Cons

Management is reactive rather than proactive and when the try to be proactive it becomes alot of posturing and nothing really ever gets done effectively and gets put on the back burner. Managers take credit for your work but when there are short comings throw you under the bus to still look good in front of others

Trim the fat. Too many managers hanging around are lame duck managers.

If you like working with good people this place might be for you.

I have been working at Flagstar Bancorp full-time

Pros

The people that work in the branches really care about their customers and doing the right thing, The customers are amazing the daily work has a lot of responsibility but is satisfying.

Cons

Management continues to change and the work day goals change with it. They have too many meetings with no substance.

They do not take a look at what is actually happening at the branches or listen so this would be useless.

Good company

I have been working at Flagstar Bancorp full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

work close to home and love the customer networking

Cons

No career development plan for a person who desire to transition into a different department.

Provide better career development mapping.

Good immediate management and earning potential but horrible decision making speed from higher level executives.

I have been working at Flagstar Bancorp

Pros

Excellent earning potential and mid level management is fantastic.

Cons

Product development and processes are stagnant at best.

Become more agile and improve speed of decision making.

Abusive environment

Former Employee - Financial Service Representative  in  Orion, MI (US)
    Former Employee - Financial Service Representative in Orion, MI (US)

I worked at Flagstar Bancorp part-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Opportunities for advancement. Nice working environment. Beautiful branches.

Cons

Dangerous work conditions! Closing branch by yourself! Stressed out managers trying to meet unrealistic goals! No fun!

Make sure you really know what is going on at branches. A lot of lying by branch managers to regionals.

Not a long term position...

Former Employee - Financial Service Representative  in  Jackson, MI (US)
    Former Employee - Financial Service Representative in Jackson, MI (US)

I worked at Flagstar Bancorp full-time for more than a year

Pros

Fun pace, good people to work with. But for what it's worth...I'd never go back.

Cons

Your "sales commission" wasn't reward based, but threat-based. Terrible fear every month when the numbers came due. Nearly impossible goals as well.

Treat your employees like people. Never seen a more harsh Top>bottom discrepancy

Lots of excellent people to work with. Unfortunately the company was very unorganized which could be difficult.

Former Employee - Loan Closer/Funder  in  Troy, MI (US)
    Former Employee - Loan Closer/Funder in Troy, MI (US)

I worked at Flagstar Bancorp full-time for less than a year

Pros

Lots of excellent people to work for and a reasonable pay. There was pressure to get things done but management was understanding. They were also pretty flexible, I was also a college student at the time and they allowed me to leave early on multiple occasions to study and make it up later.

Cons

I had a difficult time growing there because there seemed to be lacking room for growth.

Organize the company and create a corporate culture that encourages learning and personal growth

Worked for Flagstar Bancorp? Contribute to the Community!