Fletcher Building Reviews

Updated 20 January 2015
6 reviews filtered by
3.1
Mark Adamson

1. Great. FB helps with your personal brand.

Current Employee - General Manager in Brisbane (Australia)
    Current Employee - General Manager in Brisbane (Australia)

I have been working at Fletcher Building full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

If you have the trust or belief of your senior management, then you can do what you want. I have been very fortunate through careful planning of my career and my bosses, to get myself a very senior role where I can restructure a company and build my personal brand. Training is great. I have used that to my benefit. After several GM roles in NZ, I have now outgrown that country and am busy restructuring an Australian distribution business. This is great for my career.

Cons

The CEO is inconsistent. We don't seem to be very clear as to whet we are trying to achieve. i may be having a bad month, but it feels like we are in a state of constant change.

Advice to Management

Be consistent. Stop employing friends to key positions and listen to the GM's.

Fletcher Building Response

Feb 01, 2015GM HR Systems & Recruitment

The company believes this review has been posted by an individual impersonating a senior manager in our company. Please consider this view when reading this post. S.Spence, GM HR Systems ... More

Manager

I have been working at Fletcher Building full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Employees passionate people. Starting to understand the power of divisions working together, collaborating with each
    The pay well.

Cons

The current culture is very poor. Middle management working long hours, the CE's don't seem to be too concerned. If you have lemons, allow management to move them on. The CEO hasn't quite understood the value of teamwork, 99% of his speeches is about what you (the employee) can do for him. Went through a downsizing last year and has gone too lean - being run by accountants.

Advice to Management

Really listen to what's been said in the employee surveys and make the needed HR investments., invest in quality employees.

Large successful NZ company that is going through important change

Current Contractor - Anonymous Contractor in Auckland (New Zealand)
    Current Contractor - Anonymous Contractor in Auckland (New Zealand)

I have been working at Fletcher Building as a contractor (More than a year)

Pros

Lot of opportunities
    Capable and strong leadership

Cons

Going through a difficult change from being decentralised to more centralised for some functions.
    Capability in some management positions is not great, but is starting to change

Advice to Management

Keep going, don't lose the faith

Still Green

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Auckland (New Zealand)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Auckland (New Zealand)

I have been working at Fletcher Building

Pros

Great opportunities in terms of education and support, not only for staff but their dependents as well.

Cons

Divisions are quite separate - not much room for work between them, quite inefficient

6. It is ok

Current Employee - Systems Engineer
    Current Employee - Systems Engineer

I have been working at Fletcher Building

Pros

They are big and famous. Have so much resource

Cons

Not much opportunity in IT area

Just because Fletcher's is the biggest, does not make us the best.

Current Employee - Civil Engineer
    Current Employee - Civil Engineer

I have been working at Fletcher Building

Pros

Largest construction company in New Zealand provides access to some of the most interesting projects around. The Fletcher empire has everything you might need here in construction. Because of its size, its a great place to exist as an Engineer if you are average in abilities and ambition. Promotion will come with time served.

There are also some great people to work with and good managers. It can just be hit and miss.

Cons

Being the largest construction company in New Zealand and encumbant firm. The company's rhetoric and literature is of ingenuity, adaptability and continual progress. The reality is often quite different - and is entrenched all the way up to senior management. Being the largest firm with access to resources no other firm in New Zealand has, Fletcher Building relies on its size. In any other larger and more developed country it would not survive as it currently does or be the firm of choice.

Advice to Management

With the huge range of skills and abilities that Fletcher has in it's people, particularly Engineers and skilled tradesmen - ingenuity and performance should be better valued. New Zealand and Fletcher's wonder why so many are crossing the ditch. A lot of the answer lies at home.

Fletcher Building Photos