Flextronics

Flextronics Reviews

Updated Jul 29, 2014

Flextronics CEO and Director Mike McNamara

Mike McNamara

Pros
  • Benefits are nice and depending on position work life balance is good (in 15 reviews)

• Work environment is safe and security guards on duty all the time (in 16 reviews)

Cons
  • When you are really bust work life balance can be tough (in 13 reviews)

• Upper management doesn't really communicate well with clients and has no business skills to run the whole projects (in 11 reviews)

More Highlights

Flex is a global Company with many Sites in many different countries

Global Strategic Supply Chain Manager (Current Employee) San Jose, CA (US)

ProsFlex is a global Company with many Sites in many different countries . Many of the sites feature Amenities like Cafe , gyms and rec area . Many SItes also offer bonuses and incentive based on Compensation to hourly employees.

ConsDue to the lean nature of the business model , not all sites enjoy the amenities above . Often employees are place uner harsh work schedules and are asked to perform well under heavy pressure ,also jobs in US and Europe are moving to oversea and India due to Cut cost on all the lean project .

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep jobs in US will save more money than cleaning up all the mess in oversea

Bad Management- Quality Department

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Austin, TX (US)

ProsPay is ok and the benefits are good. There are alot of experienced inspectors working inthe quality department with great work ethics. Most of the people are very helpful to new employees.

ConsWhile there are good inspectors, most inspectors are not compensated for their experience and contribution to the success of the company. This is due in part to the people who are placed in supervisory positions without the skills and knowledge that are needed for this position and this includes working with different races, genders, and backgrounds. Supervisors who strategically place inspectors that they like in key working areas only when it is time for layoffs so that their job will be secured. Unfortunately, this causes good experienced people to be laid off. The bad thing about this is that the supervisor who encourages bad work habits from the inspectors such as long breaks and lunches, falsifying time and worst of all, the mentallity that "it's all about quanity not quality", is still employed to start all over again.

Advice to Senior ManagementHire experienced supervisors that know something about the job and how to keep their personal feelings out of the workplace, as this is not the place or the position for the unfairness that has been demonstrated here. Also, listen to complaints from the employees on the floor and let them know that their complaint has been investigated and the results of it, because not everybody is wrong about a particular supervisor. In the future, please do not let the supervisor who writes the employees' review choose who should be laid off because there is too much room for favoritism.

Poor Management

Order Management Coordinator (Current Employee) Austin, TX (US)

ProsYou get decent benefits. It is also a good place to start out and learn more about the manufacturing process.

ConsDon't expect too much more compensation in the form of raises. Also the work/life balance is poor. Management is quick to throw extra duties and demand reports in an unreasonable time frame. Many people work all hours of the night from home. They are quick to blame lower level employees for lack of Revenue, but fail to praise accomplishments. Layoffs were aimed towards Senior Level employees that knew the business. Now there are a bunch of new hires who have not been trained properly and are just trying to get their feet wet.

Advice to Senior ManagementPay more, Show appreciation to your talented workers, Communicate changes quicker, and value labor as an investment instead of an expense.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

People are generally nice but no prospects

Planner (Former Employee)

ProsThe people here are really nice; they're friendly and willing to act as a mentor to you. They're willing to teach as long as you have the right attitude and they are really into the teamwork spirit so it's always a team behind you. I am lucky to have met superiors who are willing to grow me and I really appreciates that.

ConsManagement do not seems aware of the workload and tend to give more and more until somebody quits. At times, as colleagues we help out each other but to be honest, it's not going to work long term.

They are really cost-driven. They are willing to slash employees at any time as long as it helps the business. People don't feel secure with their job and people who perform are generally given a very bad pay as compared to outside.

Advice to Senior ManagementImprove your employees confidence in you. Give recognition where necessary. Match salaries outside or give other benefits in return. Employees are your assets; not your slaves.

Good for Management level

ProsBest place to be if you are in management role.
    Very good pay and benefits, friendly people.

ConsNot so competitive pay if you climb the ladder instead of hired from outside.
    High turnover, talent left are not good enough, need to attract talent but the environment for workers is not attractive.

Advice to Senior ManagementFind more ways to hire talents. What we have now is not good.

Foot in the door...

Support Technician (Current Employee) Austin, TX (US)

ProsWell, it is a job that has allowed me to learn IT skills without having to pay for it.

ConsNo nets around the buildings.
    Made the same amount of money on unemployment.
    Most of the management come from other countries so sometimes there is a language barrier. It is cheaper for Flextronics to pay them a housing expense and a salary that is good in their native state than it is to hire local management. And if you do take any management roles you will be working for considerably less than what is typically paid for the same type of work at other businesses.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe nice to the locals.

It helped me mature and get a very intensive experience, which contributed crucially in my career.

Senior Financial Analyst (Current Employee) Sorocaba, São Paulo (Brazil)

ProsI got an intensive experience, I could understand and follow the company's politics effectively. My direct managers had a very wide experiences, thus I could learn and develop a lot.
    I had crucial opportunities of growth, I was promoted once a year and could have experience in several departments of the company.

ConsThe workload is really heavy, for a period I had about 60hs of overtime monthly (beyond the normal 45hs weekly). Some people get really stressed due the pressure for results (this made me mature a lot and learn how to deal with it, but some people get really bad for that, even sick).
    The food they offered in the company's restaurant was really bad, many people (including myself) brought food from home - some days it was impossible to eat the food offered.
    The food was a huge problem for me, I spent a lot of money eating out or a lot of work bringing food from home.

Advice to Senior ManagementI would be happy to pay a little more for the food benefit if they could improve the food quality, as I stated in the Cons, it was a huge problem for me.

Make sure you choose the correct location

Senior Systems Analyst (Former Employee) Memphis, TN (US)

ProsPay is competitive and benefits are great but downgraded. Work load is depending on what account you work with, sometime great while sometime hectic. Some senior management are decent while some act hyper most of the time. Work environment is safe and security guards on duty all the time.

ConsUnless you just want paycheck then this location is worse for you. There are less chance for an advancement. Be ready to work under one who barely speaks english who's educational credential never been verified. This place hardly work as a team and most of the times it's all about "I" instead "us" crazy but true. Here are the breakdowns depending on what you're interested in. Analyst: Work get done but unexpected demands that must get meet, it's harsh demand most of the time with short timeline. Program manager: Mostly ego between each other and group building to play politics. Testing: Most won't last long here because this plant has awkward understanding about testing, also extreme pressure from customers. Quality: Your name will be on paper but you will be doing nothing or considered for nothing. Process: All day long every day play with pipes and build benches, everything else is beyond their scope of work or simply waste of paid time if they try to do anything. IT: Great place to learn then must get out. Facility: random changes that you will scratch your bald head mode than you actually work here. Lead: Listen to him listen to her listen to all, no ideas what you will do here. Supervisor: Make a point and stand on your legs or else someone else will run the show, very strange. Manager: Same as a supervisor and ready to stay under a gun, you will hardly make any good decisions. Line people: Lucky to have regular hours, sometime too many sometime less. It's a cut dog eat dob business. They try many ideas and talent but nothing works at sometime. If you're talented then stay away. Many talented works here however find themselves trapped and looking for exit. Nothing negative these are all realities.

Advice to Senior ManagementNothing....may be one. Do not give power to uneducated barely english speaking idiots. Hire some locals instead of wasting time of talent hire people. This place is what it should deserve.

Supportive and Team-focused Work Environment

Manager (Current Employee) Austin, TX (US)

ProsFlextronics is very team focused and, despite how lean we are from a resource perspective, you will almost NEVER hear "that's not my job" or "You're on your own".... As a Manager, I have a great team supporting me and the company.

The benefits are very competitive for this area. Salaries are fair, not amazing. 401K is 1:1 up to 4%. Healthcare plans are great, with up to $400 free up front to be used for deductibles, copays, etc, and any remaining carries over to the next year. Bonus structure varies by level; 5% or 10% of base which can be met from 0% to 200% per quarter.

Work-life balance depends on your work area and level.

ConsTraining could be improved.

If you are at the operational level (inspectors, line operators) weekends are heavily required. As you get into engineering, program management and management, weekends either rotate responsibility or are not expected at all.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou can only get too lean, before you become anorexic. Things are getting a bit dicey with coverage levels and things are starting to slip through the cracks. While I know this is corporate driven, it could push the site in the wrong direction for our current and hopeful customers.

Wonderful journey

ProsWork life is well balanced and it will be good startup journey for an Fresher

ConsStagnent,Experienced persons need to sit tight holding on the same old process

Advice to Senior ManagementIdentify the key resource

Worked for Flextronics? Contribute to the Community!