Florida International University

Updated 22 August 2014

3.9

Florida International University President Mark B. Rosenberg
Mark B. Rosenberg

Pros
  • FIU has great benefits, including portable retirement benefit, excellent healthcare benefits (in 9 reviews)

• Good work/life balance depending on the job (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • For job seekers outside of the South Florida market, please note: the cost of living in Miami is quite high (in 4 reviews)

• Lack of communication between departments (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights

Feedback

I worked at Florida International University full-time for more than a year

Pros

Benefits and work life balance are great.

Cons

Low pay, no opportunity for advancement.

Good for academic purpose

Current Employee - Graduate Research Assistant  in  Miami, FL (US)
    Current Employee - Graduate Research Assistant in Miami, FL (US)

I have been working at Florida International University full-time for more than a year

Pros

Low paid salary since I was studing.

Cons

Very friendly and supportive faculties.

Graduate Student and Teaching Assistant

I have been working at Florida International University

Pros

This university provides a good value for local students.

Cons

A focus an expansive growth of student population without an accompanying expansion of insfrastructure hs created an overcrowded campus.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Overall, I have a good experience working at FIU. But it also depends on the department you work in.

Current Employee - Senior Accountant  in  Miami, FL (US)
    Current Employee - Senior Accountant in Miami, FL (US)

I have been working at Florida International University full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Its has good employee benefits, such as tuition waiver, low cost health insurance, opportunity to advance within the university. It is a good environment to work in.

Cons

Of course, salary is lower than in private organization in general. Salary increase is no less deceiving. You have to really fight for an increase, based on personal experience.

Fight for a good raise for your employees when they work hard.

Your experience will depend on the department

Current Employee - Program Assistant  in  Miami, FL (US)
    Current Employee - Program Assistant in Miami, FL (US)

I have been working at Florida International University part-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Great people. Health insurance, training. I've been lucky., I worked with great people. I worked with the writing center, the English department and the Humanities center. All 3 departments have great training and awesome helpful people.

Cons

To be fair, I did not experience this myself. I'm just going by interactions I've seen between my peers and their management. My confusion? Some people in management shouldn't be there. Some departments have a petty and hostile environment. Others are just extremely lax. You end up doing the management's work in addition to your own.

I'd advise administration to be a bit more careful about who gets promoted to management. Some people very obviously see other managers as competition and end up bickering more than working. Others see their employees as workhorses. It makes the experience at FIU inconsistent.

Bad administration

Current Employee - Program Coordinator  in  Miami, FL (US)
    Current Employee - Program Coordinator in Miami, FL (US)

Pros

Good benefits as far as health, vacation, and sick.

Cons

The administration is horrible. You can spend weeks waiting for someone to turn a call or email. Students are definitely not a priority, the faculty are. Higher administration only cares about the amount of money faculty bring in, not the students. I had HUNDREDS of students walk into my office complaining that nobody is able to help them. No matter the department or office, students are thrown to the bottom. Staff does whatever they want as far as hours or vacation, because nobody cares. They take time off during the busiest time of the year or they show up to work at 11 am. It seems as if nobody really cared. If you ever want a raise....GOOD LUCK! That will never happen. After years of negotiation, the university finally increased our salaries by 1%!! It's absurd and insulting. Also, there is absolutely no space to grow.

Maybe you should actually MANAGE. The way the university runs is horrible. The students should be priority, not you.

It's and ok environment to work in.

Former Employee - Program Manager  in  Miami, FL (US)
    Former Employee - Program Manager in Miami, FL (US)

I worked at Florida International University full-time for more than a year

Pros

Excellent company benefits, ability to extend and complete your education and or if you have a child they can complete their education. Good work life balance, basically you will be able to have quality time with your family. If you value helping students complete their higher education this is the place to be! The greatest satisfaction is attending graduation and watching your students receive their degree. It will leave you speechless knowing you were a part of the process.

Cons

lots of red tape, takes time to get things through the chain of command, moderate compensation, lots of politics

Consider how to make processes more efficient for staff, faculty as well as students.

Lots of opportunities

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Miami, FL (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Miami, FL (US)

I have been working at Florida International University full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

I've been able to work in several areas of the University which has given me a great overview of how it all works. Colleagues are, for the most part, really nice people who work well together

Cons

I've found it very tough to get raises over the years. It is a state-assisted University so that probably plays a part in that. State funding has been cut to all public universities in Florida year after year. University Leadership doesn't often provide input as to their expectations. It is common to have to develop plans, reports, projects, etc. and then have the boss react to it, as opposed to getting input at the beginning stage.

Listen more to what your people have to say.

A place with potential for great things.

Current Employee - Office Assistant  in  Miami, FL (US)
    Current Employee - Office Assistant in Miami, FL (US)

I have been working at Florida International University full-time for less than a year

Pros

Stable environment with plenty of opportunities and growth

Cons

Can be hard to move up, stagnant feeling at times.

Implement innovative techniques to improve employee satisfaction and reduce turnover.

Miami's University

Current Employee - Project Coordinator  in  Miami, FL (US)
    Current Employee - Project Coordinator in Miami, FL (US)

Pros

FIU provides great benefits to it's employees. The atmosphere is positive, promotes school spirit and comradery amongst staff and students alike and opportunities are available for furthering ones education, even as a full-time employee.

Cons

Parking during the fall & spring semesters.

Paperwork can sometimes be daunting and it seems that too many people are assigned to complete the same task.

Worked for Florida International University? Contribute to the Community!