Florida International University

Florida International University Reviews

Updated Apr 12, 2014

Florida International University President Mark B. Rosenberg

Mark B. Rosenberg

Pros:
  • "Good work/life balance depending on the job"
    in 5 reviews
  • "Great environment to work at and to gain experience"
    in 7 reviews
Cons:
  • "Lack of communication between departments"
    in 3 reviews
  • "compared to peers in other state universities in FL, pay is low when Miami cost of living is high"
    in 3 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Overall a solid company

Research Coordinator (Current Employee)
Miami, FL (US)

I have been working at Florida International University full-time for more than 3 years

ProsGreat Benefits, Great Holidays and a fair interview process

ConsWeak Salary, Not fair raise practices

Excellent

Graduate Assistant (Current Employee)
Miami, FL (US)

I have been working at Florida International University part-time for more than a year

Prosexcellent education in many fields

Consexpensive to international students and not giving incentives to students with high GPA
Not all the professors in the biostatistics department are carefully selected and the way they teach is not as desired. For example, Dr Khan teaching is like we are in a math class and the students are getting A but they don't understand anything, and he is not equally treating people, and you are not allowed to ask any question in the class. the student evaluate him great because he is going to give them A.

FIU helped me develop my career in a new environment

I have been working at Florida International University

ProsGreat team, friendly and family-like environment.

ConsLong time decision making process.

A relaxed culture and nice environment make this a good place to work

Software Engineer (Current Employee)
Miami, FL (US)

ProsGreat locations, relaxed culture. Good side benefits in the community since the university puts on events all around Miami. Accessible by bus fairly easily from Downtown.

ConsNo critique of FIU is complete without complaining about parking. The pricing scheme for employees is downright unfair. In software terms, there's a problem with keeping the status quo, even if it's mediocre.

Advice to Senior ManagementSpend more educating on the most current practices for every job, from outside the university.

Ok

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Florida International University

Prosvery international, allows you to develop yourself

Consmoney machine, everything is expensive, students pay lots of things, the quality of students is not excellent

It has good a computer science department to get involved with research.

Research Assistant (Current Employee)
Miami, FL (US)

I have been working at Florida International University part-time for more than 3 years

ProsThere are many professors to conduct research with in CS area in south Florida.

ConsBecause of the population of the area, it is crowded and expensive.

I am graduate research assistant in Florida International University which it is a vibrant and fast improving university

Graduate Assistant (Current Employee)
Miami, FL (US)

I have been working at Florida International University part-time for less than a year

ProsIt has a multicultural environment and I have a chance to meet students from all over the world. Besides, working with students and professors, I learn how to be a good engineer and also a researcher

ConsEngineering Center in FIU is not located in main campus. So, most of student have been deprived of using facilities in main campus.

depends on the department you work in

I have been working at Florida International University

ProsBenefits, Tuition reimbursement, flexible work hours for students, sometimes great bosses and coworkers depending on your department. Great for a first job after graduating.

Consgiant bureaucracy that doesn't reward hard work. Organizational structure reduces accountability and fosters a "not my job" attitude.

Advice to Senior ManagementSalary and promotion should be based on performance, not seniority or pay-scales.
This is demotivating and encourages people to only work hard enough to keep their jobs.

Inspiring and fun work atmosphere

I have been working at Florida International University

ProsStunning campus, beautiful work environment, tons of options for lunch
Leadership team listens
Creative and open atmosphere
Great team
I feel valued
Surrounded by ambitious students who inspire you and keep you young

ConsRed tape
Small budgets
Too much bureaucracy
Running out of space on campus - some departments have to rent offices offsite to fit their staff

Advice to Senior ManagementLet's try to improve the hiring process - it takes months!

Tutor in the learning center

Tutor (Former Employee)

I worked at Florida International University part-time for more than a year

ProsWorking with students is extremely enjoyable. Many are very appreciative and thankful. Hours and schedule are flexible, and it's probably the best job a student can have.

ConsTypical "office politics", dealing with coworkers and supervisors. Thirty minute tutoring sessions are too short. Working with college students that don't know fractions.

Advice to Senior ManagementIncrease tutoring sessions to 1 hour is my main suggestion.

Worked for Florida International University? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Florida International University reviews and ratings - including employee satisfaction and approval ratings for Florida International University CEO Mark B. Rosenberg. All 125 reviews are posted anonymously by Florida International University employees.