Fluor

Fluor Reviews

Updated Jul 26, 2014

Fluor CEO David T. Seaton

David T. Seaton

Pros
  • 9 day fortnight is supposed to make your work/life balance perfect(in 15 reviews)

• The working environment at company is very good and better than most of the competitors in the market(in 17 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management is too disconnected from project employees and mid-level management(in 11 reviews)

• Big Company mentality sometimes, too many Chiefs(in 10 reviews)

Plant Operator

Plant Operator (Current Employee) Boulder, CO (US)

ProsNot a lot to say, in the position I was in. The facility they do contract work for the other company , is a mess.

ConsDon't know , where to start. Very mismanaged, never saw the supervisor, maybe once out of the six months I was there.

Before, I took the job, they must have gone through well over 2 dozen people, and the contract company I worked for ,warned me about them. And they were right.

I believe the good comments on this company in my position, probably are unionize people. This job wasn't. Not saying all unions are good, but in this case with this facility they out weight the mismanagement here.

Co-workers were pretty much never happy , a lot of narrow mind Hecks that worked there. A lot of the senior workers, wanted to quit , but couldn't because , they were too old. So, you can get the picture here. The company theY do work for , couldn't careless about the facility and mostly like are just stringing it along unlit they close it in 5ys. They also, couldn't care less for the safety around there either. (Fluor was too busy blaming their workers not themselves, which is BS)

Advice to Senior ManagementNeed to clean house with your management here & get rid of the Senior operators that don't want to be there.

Senior Manager Information Technology

Senior Manager Information Technology (Current Employee) Greenville, SC (US)

ProsVery good salary and the employees around the globe were a pleasure to work with.

ConsThere was too much politics that was factored into career progression especially in mid to senior management. Too many unqualified individuals ended up in management positions. A lot of these managers didn't understand how to lead.

Advice to Senior ManagementBusiness Line executive management needs to be flushed out and replaced with competent execs who care about their employees and the preserving the companies history and longevity rather than focusing on their own salaries and empires.

Fluor

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Irving, TX (US)

ProsFluor supports higher education and individual growth.

ConsFluor is extremely political. Sometimes issues are overrided due to friendships.

Advice to Senior ManagementFluor employees should receive more recognition.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

It was a very controled environment with very little tolerance or encougement for any kind technological change.

IT Architect (Former Employee)

ProsThe salary and benefits were excellent.

ConsThe people were very much set in their own cliches. And it took time for people to work their ways into their decided circle.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe more attendtive to employees when they are struggling and begging for help.

Great career opportunities and great peers / management

Construction Engineer (Current Employee) Calgary, AB (Canada)

ProsHaving the ability to move between offices and business units and also job function (provided you have the skills needed)
    Being an EPC, ability to work on different major projects allows one the opportunity to learn quickly and advance career.
    Majority of senior management listen to their employees and genuinely care for them and their career path.
    Lots of interactive events and education programs available.
    Incredible amount of experience and knowledge available within the organization and shared between the 40+ offices using a knowledge share forum.
    There is always a drive by management for improvement within the Construction business line.
    Ethics in the workplace is highly valued.
    Time off with pay is very flexible and taking vacation or flex time is never an issue.

ConsSalary is not industry leading or on the high end of the spectrum for EPCs, but there are a lot of factors such as great work environment, experienced peers and management which increases job satisfaction - something that you can't put a price on.

While majority of facilities provided are nice, workstations in some places could use updating and a better layout is needed in some places (i.e. more offices) Occasionally there are managers / leads / directors sitting in cubicles.

Advice to Senior ManagementFurther invest not only in talent development, but also developing the company's ability to diverge into new markets and businesses. (via expanding overhead budget)
    Bonus structure should be implemented on a broader scale in order to stay competitive and attract talent - even if bonuses are minuscule to begin with.

I worked in waste disposal management at FLUOR as well as a bus driver, I drove locals in Afghanistan.

Bus Driver (Former Employee) Bagrām (Afghanistan)

ProsFluor company is well organized, good wages, vacations also.

ConsThere is a possibility for advancement in the field in their field of work.

Good

Human Resources Specialist (Former Employee)

ProsCompensation , vacation time. Employees work together as a team. Takes pride in safety.

ConsManagement was not trained and those that have been at the company for years have to train new management on what to do. Inventory of supplies was limited or not available at times.

Advice to Senior ManagementPromote from within and not have employees with the potential to progress in the company train new hired upper management

Although I have only worked at Fluor since earning my degree. I have found that the opportunities are endless.

Design Engineer II (Current Employee) Sugar Land, TX (US)

ProsMajor opportunities for advancement and career development

ConsHuge company, so you must put forth major effort to gain exposure and access to opportunities.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to groom the future leaders to prepare the company for all the boomers retiring which we are already seeing.

Project Director

Senior Project Director (Current Employee) Santiago (Chile)

ProsSalary, Training, Knowledge database, experienced leadership, career opportunities. International job assignments available for employees willing to travel. Open minded management, embraces positive change.

ConsNot many, doors are open for all genders, and races to excel. Fluor believes in people. Fluor is slow to embrace new technology.

Advice to Senior ManagementMore training, invest in retaining key resources when projects ebb.

Fair company, good opportunites

Water Resource Specialist (Current Employee) Bagrām (Afghanistan)

ProsProvides opportunities to grow within field. Great safety program. Competitive salary plus great bonus's Great company to work for overseas.

ConsThough we are in a hazard zone this company provides poor living conditions when compared to competing companies in middle east.

Advice to Senior ManagementProvide better training for interpersonal skill for management level positions

Worked for Fluor? Contribute to the Community!