Fluor Reviews

Updated 30 October 2014
3.7

Fluor CEO David T. Seaton
David T. Seaton

Pros
  • 9 day fortnight is supposed to make your work/life balance perfect (in 17 reviews)

• The working environment at company is very good and better than most of the competitors in the market (in 19 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management is too disconnected from project employees and mid-level management (in 11 reviews)

• Big Company mentality sometimes, too many Chiefs (in 10 reviews)

More Highlights

Management promotes lower grad employees to supervise seniors!

Current Employee - Senior Design Engineer in Sugar Land, TX (US)
    Current Employee - Senior Design Engineer in Sugar Land, TX (US)

I have been working at Fluor as a contractor (more than an year)

Pros

None that I can think of!

Cons

Management has to change. A big body shop with contract employees

One of the old guy who walks around the building all the time thinks he is permanent and his college temporary.

Stuck for 30 years

Current Employee - Process Engineer in Houston, TX (US)
    Current Employee - Process Engineer in Houston, TX (US)

I have been working at Fluor full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

None that I can think of

Cons

Everything that I can think of

You suck.

Resource Management

Former Employee - HRM in Dubai (United Arab Emirates)
    Former Employee - HRM in Dubai (United Arab Emirates)

I worked at Fluor full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Company pays good, bosses are very cool and cooperative, company's operational set up requirements are very nice and clean i.e wonderful environment to work in with.

Cons

Hard work required some times in shifts that disturbs life set up, but over all its a good progressive company.

Management should try to keep an eye on every individual.
    If the company is operating in multi cultural country or environment kindly heir a balanced work force , do not increase a particular number of nationality in work force because it becomes the reason for politics in company and departments as well as personal growth stops due to being left alone.

One of the best companies to work for

I have been working at Fluor (more than 10 years)

Pros

They promote women in the industry. Recognize their abilities, enhance them.

Cons

They work off of "requisition" or invitation only

Gr8 company

I have been working at Fluor

Pros

Comfort of work life balance

Cons

less salary and less regognition

Satisfactory experience with Fluor

I worked at Fluor as a contractor

Pros

Available training within company. Promotions possible. Travel available. Adequate and competitive pay.

Cons

Cliques can be roadblocks to personal growth and promotion.

Consider yourself team members instead of disciplinarians and authoritarians. Upper management should be more aware of project managers' leadership styles on jobsites and do away with cliques, holier than thou attitudes, and tough guy mentalities. Fostering a team is much more valuable and fruitful than whipping the underlings. Fear of being judged harshly and reprimanded unjustly does not produce contented and dedicated employees. It was always very disappointing to witness a jobsite run according to these principles. With this being said, I must add that there are some very good managers with excellent skills, values and work ethics within the Fluor organization.

Great company in some locations.

Current Employee - IT Operations Specialist in Greenville, SC (US)
    Current Employee - IT Operations Specialist in Greenville, SC (US)

I have been working at Fluor full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great benefits, flexible scheduling, great management team.

Cons

I have no cons for this company.

Confusing to work for

Former Employee - Fuel Distribution Systems Operator in Kabul (Afghanistan)
    Former Employee - Fuel Distribution Systems Operator in Kabul (Afghanistan)

I worked at Fluor as a contractor (more than 8 years)

Pros

Great pay great vacation/R and R fun travel. Retention bonuses.

Cons

This company was rife with fraud and abuse in Afghanistan as a Department of Defense contractor and will be on the news CNN just like KBR was when they lost the LOGCAP contract in Afghanistan to Fluor. With Fluor they had policies and procedures that were never enforced unless the target was political or racially not in the click. As a result over 500 thousand gallons of jet fuel JP-8 is unaccounted for and there fore missing had policies and procedures be followed and evenly and fairly enforced no matter who you know or the color of your skin then that fuel would be accounted for. There as a huge race issue on LOGCAP Afghanistan under Fluor and it was African American committing racism against white Americans and Afghan local nationals..

I could not watch this go on any longer I had been in Afghanistan and Iraq working for Fluor and KBR for over 8 years and under Fluor it was the worst I had ever witnessed I had to resign or go mad. They make KBR look soo good I would have been willing to go back to KBR for less money than Fluor paid us.

When I resigned I reported what I witnessed to investigators for the company and I have communicated with people still there what was going on is still going on and was never even looked into. Keep your eyes on CNN this will be a story for sure. Fluor will get a bad name and is not a bad company but this every man for himself management is not effective when people are incompetent for the positions they hold and undisciplined and it is very difficult to get highly educated and competent personnel in a war zone they can make the same money or close to it at home so now the guy who was the grocery store cart boy and tells good jokes and knows all the wrong stuff gets the promotion and the blind lead the ones who may be more qualified and almost everyone is looking at face book and playing games on company time as opposed to double checking their work or learning and refreshing their skills.

Fluor will get a bad name form this when the story breaks on CNN and they are not a bad company but been mismanaged and left to run wild in Afghanistan with unqualified and tested personnel.

Apply and enforce policies evenly and fairly have a zero tolerance policy and enforce it no matter who the violators may be who they know or their ethnicity. Evenly balance the ethnicity/race of staff in every section to lesson the likeliness of collusion / buddy system that facilities wrong doing. Ensure via background checks and on site tests and past performance all together to be sure a candidate for promotion is qualified.

Clueless and inept grey beards.

Current Employee - Engineer in Houston, TX (US)
    Current Employee - Engineer in Houston, TX (US)

I have been working at Fluor full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Travel and money if you produce (or kiss butt of non producing old dogs).

Cons

Too much dead wood from CEO to all offices living off 35 years at company despite the fact they can't open PowerPoint.

Fire CEO and 80% of the old dogs. You've lost too Uchenna young talent due to your arrogance and entitlement views the past 3 years.

good company

Current Employee - Intern in Houston, TX (US)
    Current Employee - Intern in Houston, TX (US)

I have been working at Fluor as an intern (more than an year)

Pros

good pay, equal opportunity employer

Cons

long hours and travel. Commute can be rough

promote from within. Ask people to carry their load