Fluor Reviews

Updated 18 September 2014
3.8

Fluor CEO David T. Seaton
David T. Seaton

Pros
  • 9 day fortnight is supposed to make your work/life balance perfect (in 15 reviews)

• The working environment at company is very good and better than most of the competitors in the market (in 17 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management is too disconnected from project employees and mid-level management (in 11 reviews)

• Big Company mentality sometimes, too many Chiefs (in 10 reviews)

More Highlights

Confusing to work for

Former Employee - Fuel Distribution Systems Operator  in  Kabul (Afghanistan)
    Former Employee - Fuel Distribution Systems Operator in Kabul (Afghanistan)

I worked at Fluor as a contractor for more than 8 years

Pros

Great pay great vacation/R and R fun travel. Retention bonuses.

Cons

This company was rife with fraud and abuse in Afghanistan as a Department of Defense contractor and will be on the news CNN just like KBR was when they lost the LOGCAP contract in Afghanistan to Fluor. With Fluor they had policies and procedures that were never enforced unless the target was political or racially not in the click. As a result over 500 thousand gallons of jet fuel JP-8 is unaccounted for and there fore missing had policies and procedures be followed and evenly and fairly enforced no matter who you know or the color of your skin then that fuel would be accounted for. There as a huge race issue on LOGCAP Afghanistan under Fluor and it was African American committing racism against white Americans and Afghan local nationals..

I could not watch this go on any longer I had been in Afghanistan and Iraq working for Fluor and KBR for over 8 years and under Fluor it was the worst I had ever witnessed I had to resign or go mad. They make KBR look soo good I would have been willing to go back to KBR for less money than Fluor paid us.

When I resigned I reported what I witnessed to investigators for the company and I have communicated with people still there what was going on is still going on and was never even looked into. Keep your eyes on CNN this will be a story for sure. Fluor will get a bad name and is not a bad company but this every man for himself management is not effective when people are incompetent for the positions they hold and undisciplined and it is very difficult to get highly educated and competent personnel in a war zone they can make the same money or close to it at home so now the guy who was the grocery store cart boy and tells good jokes and knows all the wrong stuff gets the promotion and the blind lead the ones who may be more qualified and almost everyone is looking at face book and playing games on company time as opposed to double checking their work or learning and refreshing their skills.

Fluor will get a bad name form this when the story breaks on CNN and they are not a bad company but been mismanaged and left to run wild in Afghanistan with unqualified and tested personnel.

Apply and enforce policies evenly and fairly have a zero tolerance policy and enforce it no matter who the violators may be who they know or their ethnicity. Evenly balance the ethnicity/race of staff in every section to lesson the likeliness of collusion / buddy system that facilities wrong doing. Ensure via background checks and on site tests and past performance all together to be sure a candidate for promotion is qualified.

Antiquated in Every Way

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Greenville, SC (US)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Greenville, SC (US)

I worked at Fluor full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The pay was decent and the benefits are good - but you're NEVER able to take time off - not without being blackballed. God forbid you need to take time off to care for family - including dying parents.

Cons

If you are a woman, you will only succeed at this company if you are a PE, and then you're still making less than your male peers and sometimes your subordinates. I was threatened with my job more than once for going to HR when passed over for opportunities due to my gender - and was told by the good ole boys that my gender was the reason. My boss once screamed across the company cafeteria, "Wow, you're getting fat." This is the same good ole boy who told me I should be ashamed of myself for not staying home and raising my children full time. I was constantly forced to supervise and be responsible for men who made more than I did. And then they acted shocked when I left, mostly because they thought no other company would want me I guess- like they were doing me some big favor overworking me and underpaying me while degrading and insulting me on a constant basis.

Like they'd listen to a little woman. Why bother?

Great Place to Learn

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Greenville, SC (US)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Greenville, SC (US)

I worked at Fluor full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

One of the better formalized training programs for project managers, engineers, and designers
    Pay is competitive.
    Very professional work environment.
    Good people in all departments.

Cons

Can be "cliqueish" with respect to college you attended (Clemson in Greenville and Texas A&M in Sugar Land) also in Power you need to have a Duke/Fluor Daniel pedigree in the past.
    Fluor does not keep much of a bench when work is slack so you need to be time chargeable.
    If you are prepared to travel you can keep a job.
    Pay is different between offices for the same job.

None

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Good Solid Company to start your career with.

Current Employee - Procurement Specialist  in  Dublin, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Procurement Specialist in Dublin, CA (US)

I have been working at Fluor full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

A lot of nice people, good family culture, and pretty professional.

Cons

People can sometimes have the tendency to not reach out to new employees.

Pretty plain and simple, be open to the suggestions of your employees.

Hard to move ahead and stingy with increases.

I worked at Fluor

Pros

Meet some fantastic mentors who encouraged and were willing to take the teach to teach and guide. Good internal training programs via Fluor University and instructors.

Cons

Work assessments were poor and biased. Company mandated some training and strongly encouraged other training but did not include as part of raise increase assessments.

Anonymous

I have been working at Fluor full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Good benefits and compensation. 9x80 work week. Many opportunities for advancement, if the work is available.

Cons

Lay-offs are very common. Always worried, no job security.

Quality Tech

I have been working at Fluor as a contractor for more than 3 years

Pros

Big company, lots of opportunities, pays well

Cons

Health insurance is not the greatest

Great Company

Current Employee - Procurement Manager
    Current Employee - Procurement Manager

I have been working at Fluor full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Fluor has provided a wide range of opportunities for me though out my career. For a large Fortune 500 company, Fluor has provided a flexible work-life balance environment and encourages personal growth. Any cons are outweighed by the pros.

Cons

Being a leader in our industry, Fluor takes on some of the biggest, most complexed projects in the world. If you are part of project execution, there are many challenging obstacles and the stress that is associated. However, I find myself never bored.

Recognize talent and do a better job retaining that talent.

Safety is their priority

Former Employee - Field Engineer  in  Carolina, PR (US)
    Former Employee - Field Engineer in Carolina, PR (US)

I worked at Fluor as an intern for less than a year

Pros

Safety programs, Organization, benefits and management.

Cons

Salaries are too low for entry enigineers. Promotions are hard to get.

Implement a better incentive program for incoming new engineers and train them.

GOOD

I have been working at Fluor

Pros

good work and life balance

Cons

sometimes no value for your thoughts

Worked for Fluor? Contribute to the Community!