Forever 21

2.4
1,523 Reviews

Forever 21 Co-Founder and CEO Do Won "Don" Chang
Do Won "Don" Chang

Pros
  • Its a very fast paced business so the store made money and so there was always hours (in 95 reviews)

• The company is very fashion forward, and prices are very affordable (in 52 reviews)

Cons
  • 10% discount can be seen as a pro but it really doesn't do that much at the end of the day (in 92 reviews)

• Also the customer the company targets is vey unfriendly to sales associates (in 84 reviews)

More Highlights

Sales Associate

Current Employee - Sales Associate in London, England
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in London, England

I have been working at Forever 21

Pros

Its a good place to work if you want to gain work experience in the retail sector. You get to work in a very busy store so you get a real feel of the high street retail world, which is basically hectic. Or if your just looking for something temporary for the meantime just to earn a little extra cash, I would say apply for it.

Cons

A lot of the people in the store I was at had 8hr contracts, meaning you have to work a minimum of 8hrs per week. However many people were given more hours based around your availability. What I really didn't understand was why peoples hours were being cut back, so those who asked for overtime etc weren't given any & those who had extra hours, were being cut back, people were being sent home mid shift as they were 'overstaffed' yet the store were still recruiting & bringing in new people. This to me makes no sense & clearly showed me that the management were slacking & had no loyalty towards their staff.

As I mentioned above, the recruitment procedure makes no sense to me, why cut back peoples hours when they want overtime etc & then bring in new people to give them the minimum hours too?

Bad

Former Employee - Sales Associate in London, England

I worked at Forever 21 part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Good location, payed lunch break and good salary

Cons

Was not given the holiday I informed my manager of in the interview

stick to their word

Don't look to the top for role model behaviour, lazy managers breed lazy staff!

I have been working at Forever 21 full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Has some pretty nice stock at great prices, and the stock turnover is so high that the store is constantly changing. Plenty of opportunities to get your sleeves rolled up and get involved visually, no matter what your role, and having an active role in replen/VM can make your day go in quickly. Co workers become your good friends as you spend so much time with them.

Cons

LAZY LAZY LAZY senior management. Co-managers and above rarely leave the office, except when they want to point out problems and then disappear back in to sit on their phones all day pretending its work related. Never have I ever experienced such hands off, lazy GM/Co-managers in my retail career. Only time they want to actually get involved in things is when it's to point out more problems or stick their nose in where it isn't wanted. Too many cooks!! Unrealistic expectations on what can be achieved in the closing hour and constant headaches as the VM team work against everyone else in the store and forget that without the rest of the staff to serve customers and maintain the store, there would be no money in the tills to pay their wages. Absolute favouritism and little chance to move up unless you are a favourite. Perks are at a minimum and the company is run by inexperienced people who seem to have no idea how to run a global business. The level of secrecy around category reports, figures etc is ridiculous and make it impossible to react to commercial trends. Nobody takes accountability for their actions or any task set before them. No such thing as a work/life balance...your job and the crazy working hours that comes with it will take over your life. Not a place to work if you value your sanity.

Actually spend some time on the shop floor (longer than a few minutes to point out problems without considering the reasons for them). Allow ASMs to run their own floors how they see fit without involving yourself in EVERYTHING and looking for reasons to punish people. Roll your sleeves up and do some work, you get paid enough!

Company to avoid to work

Former Employee - Sales Associate in London, England

I worked at Forever 21 full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Localition - Oxford Street - in front of Bond Street. Busy area, lovely and globally customers, great Layout and ad nice Commercial Lighting

Cons

No management at all; no HR support; high staff turn over; there are no Healthy & Safety rules. The Company uses the old-fashion speech "we are a big family"when, on the daily basis just don't care about the Training, Respect and Coaching.

be Manager, go to the nearest bookshop and buy a basic Management Book to start.

Absolute chaos

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Birmingham, England
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Birmingham, England

I worked at Forever 21 full-time (less than an year)

Pros

First dibs on new stock, that's all.

Cons

Poor wages, poor discount, incompetent management, only a 30 min break, staff leaving constantly due to poor working standards.

Listen to what your staff say.

Get it on your CV then jump the ship as quick as possible!

Former Employee - Visual Merchandiser in Manchester, England
    Former Employee - Visual Merchandiser in Manchester, England

I worked at Forever 21 full-time (less than an year)

Pros

*good visual elements
    *helpful directory
    *constant store openings/ projects

Cons

* Store management, district management, country management - all should be replaced or at least trained on modern management and leadership practises. people are not machines or brainless and do not like to get treated that way. Most of your staff are studying quite difficult degrees; physics, medicine, management (uhohhh) - and therefore they are probably a lot smarter than you and could probably manage that store better than you.

* Management hierarchy - store manager, operation manager, commercial manager, visual manager, stock room manager assistant manager, supervisor, head cashier...really? Maybe you should also hire a toilet manager. so you have another person to involve in your little (not work related) chats everywhere over the shop floor and ignoring customers.

* Pay - its very uneven, management is getting enormous amount of money (oops, someone couldn't keep their mouth shut) where as the people on the floor do the real work and get just above minimum wage.

* Favouritism - its everywhere in that company

* Benefits - there are non, minimum staff discount, no sick pay, no maternity pay, no pension scheme, no accident or medical insurance

Read some books, visit seminars and open your minds to better ways of managing a team. yes a team - there is no 'I' in team. Remember that. Maybe have a read on the Fish Philosophy.

Worst company in retail. Worst management in retail.

Current Employee - Associate (Slave) in Belfast, Northern Ireland
    Current Employee - Associate (Slave) in Belfast, Northern Ireland

I have been working at Forever 21 part-time (less than an year)

Pros

£6.60 an hour if your 18, however it stays the same even if your in your 30s or 40s and your not in management. I would imagine the pros of this company are only relatable if your in management, you can do very little work and get away with it. If you're the type of person that likes to bully people or you enjoy being bullied, then knock yourself out and get a job at this soul destroying company.

Cons

The list is endless. The worst company, by far, that i'v ever had to work for. They don't value as an employee. Give zero help to you if you need it. Are very unwilling to put your interests at heart. Management are complete bullies. They never advertise jobs in-store for promotions, they select who they want and then you find out about it. There is so much favouritism, it's unbelievable. The hours are horrible, zero work/life balance. Discount is 10%! They claim to be all about "customer service" but management think serving customers is somewhat below them because all i do is see them talking to each other and their faces are always tripping them. Working here is like selling your soul the devil!

Actual manage without being a bully. Get some floor experience and treat your staff with respect. You aren't a better person because your a manager, and a poor one at that.

Amazing Sales Associates, Barbaric Company

Former Employee - Sales Associate in London, England

I worked at Forever 21 part-time (less than an year)

Pros

I have to admit I loved my Work Colleagues. They were absolutely amazing, so many jokes! Loved it.

Cons

The Rota! The rota was not done in advance. The managers would take out their personal problems on you. No communication. They would give you hours that does not correlate with your contract. (Not good for a Part Time worker) There would be 4 managers on a floor, each one giving you different orders. A half an hour break in an 8 hour shift. It was a paid break, that was ok. But, getting my food would take at least 10 mins. Everyone would go on their break at the same time, because the Managers put our breaks at the same time. If you went on your break, the manager wouldnt put any one in your area to cover you. So everything would be messy and then you would get shouted at. The managers wouldnt even bother remembering your name. They had their favourites.

The Managers need to be trained. I firmly believe that you need to start from the bottom to make your way to the top. The managers who were hired to be managers never worked as sales associates in that store. I believe that the sales associates who have worked there for a long time should be promoted. They know what it feels like. More incentives for staff!

Poor Managment; no benefits, no communication, no career perspective.

Current Employee - Visual Merchandiser in London, England
    Current Employee - Visual Merchandiser in London, England

I have been working at Forever 21

Pros

Oxford Street, means you are working in a big retail windows

Cons

5 months after the great oppening. The Store is looking already for Store Manager, Visual Merchandising Manager, 2 Store Supervisors, 6 Floor Managers... doens't need comments when you realize that positions were filled 5 months ago. The Staff turn-over is extremaly high as result of poor management. Problems with the shifts, overnights and, the worst, payslips... never are correct...

Start to be Manager, Respect the Team, o, at leats, go to the nearest bookshop and by a cheap Management book to start to understand business roles.

Very Hectic fast paced no room for error

Former Employee - Product Development/Design in Los Angeles, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Product Development/Design in Los Angeles, CA (US)

I worked at Forever 21 part-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

YOU can grow with the company, they tend to let you try out differsnt departments if it is not working out with the one u are in... The environment is clean and upkept.

Cons

Challeges of working here are that they are Korean owned so there tends to be cultural differences sometimes about how things should be done. They work very hard and dont like to see people mingleing or chatting in hallways or at desk... only 1/2 lunch and not many breaks ...

Should have a better Ombudsman department to air complaints...