Forever 21

Updated Jul 22, 2014

2.4 1,237 reviews

Forever 21 Co-Founder and CEO Do Won Chang

Do Won Chang

Pros
  • Fun clothes, some delightful people, super-fast-paced; your days just fly by(in 76 reviews)

• You will learn a lot of competitive skills to take elsewhere(in 21 reviews)

Cons
  • 10% discount can be seen as a pro but it really doesn't do that much at the end of the day(in 75 reviews)

• Expect long hours with little regard to your personal life(in 65 reviews)

1,237 Employee Reviews

Bad

Sales Associate (Former Employee) London, England

ProsGood location, payed lunch break and good salary

ConsWas not given the holiday I informed my manager of in the interview

Advice to Senior Managementstick to their word

Don't look to the top for role model behaviour, lazy managers breed lazy staff!

ProsHas some pretty nice stock at great prices, and the stock turnover is so high that the store is constantly changing. Plenty of opportunities to get your sleeves rolled up and get involved visually, no matter what your role, and having an active role in replen/VM can make your day go in quickly. Co workers become your good friends as you spend so much time with them.

ConsLAZY LAZY LAZY senior management. Co-managers and above rarely leave the office, except when they want to point out problems and then disappear back in to sit on their phones all day pretending its work related. Never have I ever experienced such hands off, lazy GM/Co-managers in my retail career. Only time they want to actually get involved in things is when it's to point out more problems or stick their nose in where it isn't wanted. Too many cooks!! Unrealistic expectations on what can be achieved in the closing hour and constant headaches as the VM team work against everyone else in the store and forget that without the rest of the staff to serve customers and maintain the store, there would be no money in the tills to pay their wages. Absolute favouritism and little chance to move up unless you are a favourite. Perks are at a minimum and the company is run by inexperienced people who seem to have no idea how to run a global business. The level of secrecy around category reports, figures etc is ridiculous and make it impossible to react to commercial trends. Nobody takes accountability for their actions or any task set before them. No such thing as a work/life balance...your job and the crazy working hours that comes with it will take over your life. Not a place to work if you value your sanity.

Advice to Senior ManagementActually spend some time on the shop floor (longer than a few minutes to point out problems without considering the reasons for them). Allow ASMs to run their own floors how they see fit without involving yourself in EVERYTHING and looking for reasons to punish people. Roll your sleeves up and do some work, you get paid enough!

Company to avoid to work

Sales Associate (Former Employee) London, England

ProsLocalition - Oxford Street - in front of Bond Street. Busy area, lovely and globally customers, great Layout and ad nice Commercial Lighting

ConsNo management at all; no HR support; high staff turn over; there are no Healthy & Safety rules. The Company uses the old-fashion speech "we are a big family"when, on the daily basis just don't care about the Training, Respect and Coaching.

Advice to Senior Managementbe Manager, go to the nearest bookshop and buy a basic Management Book to start.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Absolute chaos

Sales Associate (Former Employee) Birmingham, England

ProsFirst dibs on new stock, that's all.

ConsPoor wages, poor discount, incompetent management, only a 30 min break, staff leaving constantly due to poor working standards.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to what your staff say.

Get it on your CV then jump the ship as quick as possible!

Visual Merchandiser (Former Employee) Manchester, England

Pros*good visual elements
    *helpful directory
    *constant store openings/ projects

Cons* Store management, district management, country management - all should be replaced or at least trained on modern management and leadership practises. people are not machines or brainless and do not like to get treated that way. Most of your staff are studying quite difficult degrees; physics, medicine, management (uhohhh) - and therefore they are probably a lot smarter than you and could probably manage that store better than you.

* Management hierarchy - store manager, operation manager, commercial manager, visual manager, stock room manager assistant manager, supervisor, head cashier...really? Maybe you should also hire a toilet manager. so you have another person to involve in your little (not work related) chats everywhere over the shop floor and ignoring customers.

* Pay - its very uneven, management is getting enormous amount of money (oops, someone couldn't keep their mouth shut) where as the people on the floor do the real work and get just above minimum wage.

* Favouritism - its everywhere in that company

* Benefits - there are non, minimum staff discount, no sick pay, no maternity pay, no pension scheme, no accident or medical insurance

Advice to Senior ManagementRead some books, visit seminars and open your minds to better ways of managing a team. yes a team - there is no 'I' in team. Remember that. Maybe have a read on the Fish Philosophy.

Worst company in retail. Worst management in retail.

Associate (Slave) (Current Employee) Belfast, Northern Ireland

Pros£6.60 an hour if your 18, however it stays the same even if your in your 30s or 40s and your not in management. I would imagine the pros of this company are only relatable if your in management, you can do very little work and get away with it. If you're the type of person that likes to bully people or you enjoy being bullied, then knock yourself out and get a job at this soul destroying company.

ConsThe list is endless. The worst company, by far, that i'v ever had to work for. They don't value as an employee. Give zero help to you if you need it. Are very unwilling to put your interests at heart. Management are complete bullies. They never advertise jobs in-store for promotions, they select who they want and then you find out about it. There is so much favouritism, it's unbelievable. The hours are horrible, zero work/life balance. Discount is 10%! They claim to be all about "customer service" but management think serving customers is somewhat below them because all i do is see them talking to each other and their faces are always tripping them. Working here is like selling your soul the devil!

Advice to Senior ManagementActual manage without being a bully. Get some floor experience and treat your staff with respect. You aren't a better person because your a manager, and a poor one at that.

Amazing Sales Associates, Barbaric Company

Sales Associate (Former Employee) London, England

ProsI have to admit I loved my Work Colleagues. They were absolutely amazing, so many jokes! Loved it.

ConsThe Rota! The rota was not done in advance. The managers would take out their personal problems on you. No communication. They would give you hours that does not correlate with your contract. (Not good for a Part Time worker) There would be 4 managers on a floor, each one giving you different orders. A half an hour break in an 8 hour shift. It was a paid break, that was ok. But, getting my food would take at least 10 mins. Everyone would go on their break at the same time, because the Managers put our breaks at the same time. If you went on your break, the manager wouldnt put any one in your area to cover you. So everything would be messy and then you would get shouted at. The managers wouldnt even bother remembering your name. They had their favourites.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe Managers need to be trained. I firmly believe that you need to start from the bottom to make your way to the top. The managers who were hired to be managers never worked as sales associates in that store. I believe that the sales associates who have worked there for a long time should be promoted. They know what it feels like. More incentives for staff!

Poor Managment; no benefits, no communication, no career perspective.

Visual Merchandiser (Current Employee) London, England

ProsOxford Street, means you are working in a big retail windows

Cons5 months after the great oppening. The Store is looking already for Store Manager, Visual Merchandising Manager, 2 Store Supervisors, 6 Floor Managers... doens't need comments when you realize that positions were filled 5 months ago. The Staff turn-over is extremaly high as result of poor management. Problems with the shifts, overnights and, the worst, payslips... never are correct...

Advice to Senior ManagementStart to be Manager, Respect the Team, o, at leats, go to the nearest bookshop and by a cheap Management book to start to understand business roles.

All hard work, nothing to show for it.

Sales Associate (Current Employee) San Diego, CA (US)

ProsHires just about anyone. Fun, fashionable atmosphere. Friendly employees. Management works well with your availability schedule if you have other commitments including school.

ConsExpectations are set very high. Terrible pay. No benefits. Very poor management.

Advice to Senior ManagementI had a problem with discrimination on multiple occasions during work hours and I told my manager at the time of the incident. He claimed he had told the store manager and that they were going to address it but, three months have passed by and nothing has been done about it. My advice would be to listen to your employees especially for a special situation like mentioned.

I worked as a Sales Associate at Forever 21. I handled transactions, organized merchandise, and assisted customers.

Sales Associate (Former Employee)

ProsThe best part about working there was making the store look good, and assisting with visual merchandising. Helping customers find what they were looking for was also a plus. On a daily basis I would help style customers and help them decide what looked best on them. I also love to organize, so keeping the store in top shape was a plus for me.

ConsOne con was the time off policies. If you call in sick, you are written up immediately with a "strike 1." Other than that, there were really no cons. My managers and co workers were excellent to work with and it was a fun and fast paced environment!

Advice to Senior ManagementBetter time off policies for part time employees

Worked for Forever 21? Contribute to the Community!