Forever 21

2.4 1,087 reviews

Forever 21 Co-Founder and CEO Do Won Chang

Do Won Chang

1,087 Employee Reviews

Pros:
  • "Good place to start, Helps get acquainted with retail, fast paced"
    in 70 reviews
  • "self expression fashion forward creative freedom"
    in 39 reviews
Cons:
  • "High turnover rate for both employees and management"
    in 33 reviews
  • "10% discount doesn't even cover taxes here in Vancouver"
    in 70 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Company to avoid to work

I worked at Forever 21 full-time for more than a year

ProsLocalition - Oxford Street - in front of Bond Street. Busy area, lovely and globally customers, great Layout and ad nice Commercial Lighting

ConsNo management at all; no HR support; high staff turn over; there are no Healthy & Safety rules. The Company uses the old-fashion speech "we are a big family"when, on the daily basis just don't care about the Training, Respect and Coaching.

Advice to Senior Managementbe Manager, go to the nearest bookshop and buy a basic Management Book to start.

Absolute chaos

Birmingham, England

I worked at Forever 21 full-time for less than a year

ProsFirst dibs on new stock, that's all.

ConsPoor wages, poor discount, incompetent management, only a 30 min break, staff leaving constantly due to poor working standards.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to what your staff say.

Get it on your CV then jump the ship as quick as possible!

Visual Merchandiser (Former Employee)
Manchester, England

I worked at Forever 21 full-time for less than a year

Pros*good visual elements
*helpful directory
*constant store openings/ projects

Cons* Store management, district management, country management - all should be replaced or at least trained on modern management and leadership practises. people are not machines or brainless and do not like to get treated that way. Most of your staff are studying quite difficult degrees; physics, medicine, management (uhohhh) - and therefore they are probably a lot smarter than you and could probably manage that store better than you.

* Management hierarchy - store manager, operation manager, commercial manager, visual manager, stock room manager assistant manager, supervisor, head cashier...really? Maybe you should also hire a toilet manager. so you have another person to involve in your little (not work related) chats everywhere over the shop floor and ignoring customers.

* Pay - its very uneven, management is getting enormous amount of money (oops, someone couldn't keep their mouth shut) where as the people on the floor do the real work and get just above minimum wage.

* Favouritism - its everywhere in that company

* Benefits - there are non, minimum staff discount, no sick pay, no maternity pay, no pension scheme, no accident or medical insurance

Advice to Senior ManagementRead some books, visit seminars and open your minds to better ways of managing a team. yes a team - there is no 'I' in team. Remember that. Maybe have a read on the Fish Philosophy.

Worst company in retail. Worst management in retail.

Associate (Slave) (Current Employee)
Belfast, Northern Ireland

I have been working at Forever 21 part-time for less than a year

Pros£6.60 an hour if your 18, however it stays the same even if your in your 30s or 40s and your not in management. I would imagine the pros of this company are only relatable if your in management, you can do very little work and get away with it. If you're the type of person that likes to bully people or you enjoy being bullied, then knock yourself out and get a job at this soul destroying company.

ConsThe list is endless. The worst company, by far, that i'v ever had to work for. They don't value as an employee. Give zero help to you if you need it. Are very unwilling to put your interests at heart. Management are complete bullies. They never advertise jobs in-store for promotions, they select who they want and then you find out about it. There is so much favouritism, it's unbelievable. The hours are horrible, zero work/life balance. Discount is 10%! They claim to be all about "customer service" but management think serving customers is somewhat below them because all i do is see them talking to each other and their faces are always tripping them. Working here is like selling your soul the devil!

Advice to Senior ManagementActual manage without being a bully. Get some floor experience and treat your staff with respect. You aren't a better person because your a manager, and a poor one at that.

Amazing Sales Associates, Barbaric Company

I worked at Forever 21 part-time for less than a year

ProsI have to admit I loved my Work Colleagues. They were absolutely amazing, so many jokes! Loved it.

ConsThe Rota! The rota was not done in advance. The managers would take out their personal problems on you. No communication. They would give you hours that does not correlate with your contract. (Not good for a Part Time worker) There would be 4 managers on a floor, each one giving you different orders. A half an hour break in an 8 hour shift. It was a paid break, that was ok. But, getting my food would take at least 10 mins. Everyone would go on their break at the same time, because the Managers put our breaks at the same time. If you went on your break, the manager wouldnt put any one in your area to cover you. So everything would be messy and then you would get shouted at. The managers wouldnt even bother remembering your name. They had their favourites.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe Managers need to be trained. I firmly believe that you need to start from the bottom to make your way to the top. The managers who were hired to be managers never worked as sales associates in that store. I believe that the sales associates who have worked there for a long time should be promoted. They know what it feels like. More incentives for staff!

Poor Managment; no benefits, no communication, no career perspective.

Visual Merchandiser (Current Employee)

I have been working at Forever 21

ProsOxford Street, means you are working in a big retail windows

Cons5 months after the great oppening. The Store is looking already for Store Manager, Visual Merchandising Manager, 2 Store Supervisors, 6 Floor Managers... doens't need comments when you realize that positions were filled 5 months ago. The Staff turn-over is extremaly high as result of poor management. Problems with the shifts, overnights and, the worst, payslips... never are correct...

Advice to Senior ManagementStart to be Manager, Respect the Team, o, at leats, go to the nearest bookshop and by a cheap Management book to start to understand business roles.

Decent place to start getting work experience (HQ)

Los Angeles, CA (US)

I have been working at Forever 21 full-time

ProsGood place to start off if you have no experience. I'm in a wonderful team that's willing to teach me stuff. Can transfer within department or even to another department if you have other interests.

Wage is decent, depending on your position.

Lunch is semi-buffet-style (once you pay after you get your food, can't go back to get more) and for a low price too.

Random raffles to events and even have a quarterly nomination for employers to receive extra goodies.

ConsBenefits is not a good as some companies, but still decent.
Can feel overworked and/or underpaid sometimes.
Company definitely favors certain departments.

bad

Sales Associate (Current Employee)
New York, NY (US)

I have been working at Forever 21 full-time for less than a year

Prosthe pay is actually decent

Consmanagers have the worst attitude

Advice to Senior Managementplease learn to manage your employees

good

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Forever 21 part-time

Proscute clothes, co-workers are nice

Consonly 10% discount heavy workload

Advice to Senior Managementstay positive

I would say the experience was overall OK at best...

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
Dallas, TX (US)

I worked at Forever 21 full-time for more than a year

ProsGood employees, Good music, You get to see all the new clothes before they get ransacked over the weekend, Good if you're looking for alot of hours and you work hard

ConsFull timers NEVER get time off, Store Manager never closes, You have people who have worked there for years and get set in their ways, Basically a drone at work,

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease take the time to invest in the Store Managers you hire, some of them have no humilty and they have no respect for the rest of the store's employees

Worked for Forever 21? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Forever 21 reviews and ratings - including employee satisfaction and approval ratings for Forever 21 CEO Do Won Chang . All 1,087 reviews are posted anonymously by Forever 21 employees.