Forrester Research

Forrester Research Reviews

Updated Apr 16, 2014

Forrester Research Chairman, President, and CEO George F. Colony

George F. Colony

Pros:
  • "Very good work life balance as long as you have a manager that doesn't feel the need to micromanage"
    in 26 reviews
  • "Excellent benefits, esp vacation, beautiful work space, smart people"
    in 38 reviews
Cons:
  • "The aforementioned work/life balance definitely helps to outweigh the former and the latter produces opportunities"
    in 11 reviews
  • "There is a hesitence to speak the truth to senior management"
    in 14 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Good on the CV, great people but lack of support and growth in Europe

Sales Development Specialist (Former Employee)

I worked at Forrester Research full-time for more than a year

ProsThe people at Forrester are what make the company a fun, vibrant and generally good place to work. The pay is reasonable (good basic rubbish commission) therefore you are not hugely incentivised to over perform as an SDS.

ConsForrester is a very U.S. centric company therefore growth in Europe is slow meaning a lack of career opportunities, also the marketing is targeted towards us market even though that is slowly getting better with localised marketing.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep pushing for more support in Europe to help grow and retain best talent. Look to promote from within and create a more visual career plan with employees.

Good on CV- not a good experience.

Associate Account Manager (Former Employee)

I worked at Forrester Research full-time for more than a year

ProsWorldwide recognized brand, some great colleagues, access to interesting research & good sales training (although through outsourced provider)

ConsIn my business unit: Moving goal posts. Useless internal sales trainers who've never sold anything & hence clueless. Harassment by management.

Great place to work

Account Development Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at Forrester Research full-time for more than a year

ProsAtmosphere and people are great

ConsSlight lack of career development

Good firm lacking leadership and strategy

Principal Analyst (Former Employee)

I worked at Forrester Research full-time for more than 8 years

ProsRecognized name, great colleagues, interesting work.

ConsUS-centric, zero chance of advancement if not in MA.

An American company with an international presence

I have been working at Forrester Research full-time for more than 10 years

ProsPeople, very talented people to work with.
The sector/industry: dynamic and ever-changing.
It is still a small company with some kind of start-up mentality.
Forrester clients: very interesting companies engaged with Forrester.

ConsIt is still an American firm: everything is centralized and all decisions are made from the Boston headquarters, with little knowledge/input from offices outside the US.
Red-tape/hierarchy: There is little career path at Forrester. Promotions are not based on skills/expertise, but on who you know in Boston. Although there is a training department (L&D and ST), there is no succession plan, and competency benchmarks and assessments are a once-in-a-year event. Managers/HR does not leverage input for coaching/promotions.
Management/Executive team: The vast majority of managers/executives come from internal promotions at Forrester. A great individual contributor does not make a good manager. Forrester is stuck into its own world with little new and fresh blood from the outside.
Lack of coherent long-term strategy: If the strategy does not give results in 6 months' time, there will be changes and redundancies, even if Forrester proudly announces how much cash it has in the bank.
Lack of communication/collaboration among teams/regions: Decisions made at executive level are not properly and timely communicated to the field, what creates rumours and frustration.
Focus on Gartner: Forrester is always comparing itself against Gartner: in each presentation/training, Gartner is always mentioned. Forrester will do much better IF it focused on what makes the company unique.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to your teams and clients and do what the field is requesting. Develop your team members and go back to what make Forrester unique.
To the executive team: "walk the line": truly apply Forrester culture and values!

Why you should consider Forrester

I have been working at Forrester Research full-time for more than 3 years

ProsWorking with some of the smartest minds in the technology industry as well as having C level execs from top Fortune 500 companies as your clients. Autonomy, freedom a big company ethic with a small company mindset and a pretty happy company culture. Average tenure is high with hundreds of folk across departments having been with the company for 10+ years. A hugely respected name to build your own personal brand around. George Colony is a fabulous, inspirational CEO but could be more involved with spending time getting to know with his teams outside of head office in Cambridge, USA.

ConsToo US-centric at time although big strides are being made and the board have finally realized the importance of EMEA and APAC. Too many radical changes introduced in 2012 for the teams to keep up with which resulted in loss of potential earnings from sales and an unusual spike in attrition. A penny pinching attitude at times to save a few thousand dollars when the real cost of losing great people runs into the hundreds of thousands in lost revenue, hiring and training.

Advice to Senior ManagementSpend more time listening to the people on the ground and in the trenches. Not just in vast open forums, but each member of the board should once a month take a small group representing a cross section of departments and seniority for a few drinks or dinner and really talk. Each Exec could take a table of 10 out for dinner once a month and within a year, everyone in the company would get to spend some quality one on one time with a Director and have a voice. Genuis. To introduce a bit more fun as everyone that works at Forrester is deeply commited, so some down time to get to know each other works wonders.

A great product, shame about the inferiority complex

Accounts Executive (Former Employee)

I worked at Forrester Research full-time for more than a year

ProsSmart people, fresh thinking, opportunity to work with large accounts

ConsNano-management, lack of autonomy, tactical sales process.

Advice to Senior Managementyou have a great offering, better believe your own capability and inspire confidence in the ranks. changing the strategy every year doesn't help.

Great company to start your career in the tech industry... not so much if you want to progress there

I have been working at Forrester Research full-time

Pros- good work environment, fun, intelligent and friendly people that are always willing to help
- good product
- great opportunity to learn about the tech industry
- excellent networking opportunities
- excellent office location

Cons- very few opportunities to progress, no clear career path for most positions
- too many unnecessary business processes slowing you down
- unless you are in sales or a top analyst, there is little recognition for your work
- non-transparent salary structure, bonus structure is demotivating
- too many organizational changes coupled with unrealistic expectations from senior management
- too US centric

Advice to Senior ManagementGet rid of processes that slow down and frustrate your employees, introduce a clear career path for each team/department, be more transparent on salaries and promote more employees outside the headquarters into senior management positions

A great place to start a career that lost its way a little

Account Manager (Former Employee)

I worked at Forrester Research full-time for more than 5 years

ProsGreat people, good culture, good quality product

ConsPoor progression opportunities, dreadful sales management, unrealistic expectations resulting in a huge loss of staff in 2012,

Advice to Senior ManagementRe-evaluate how you reward your longest serving staff, so much good talent left recently due to foolish planning and compensations structures

Lots of potential but too much naval gazing

Account Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at Forrester Research full-time for more than a year

ProsLots of very good, intelligent colleagues.
Most people are keen to help each other achieve common goals
Great clients.
Ambitious company.
Generally a good atmosphere in the office

ConsLimited career opportunities
Despite stating interest in Europe, still treated as a US outpost
Losing some great people due to short term errors from senior management

Advice to Senior ManagementLess naval gazing from an ivory tower and get back to focusing on great client experiences

Worked for Forrester Research? Contribute to the Community!

Forrester Research Videos

Forrester Research – Why Work for Us?

A global research and advisory firm, Forrester Research (Nasdaq: FORR) serves professionals in 13 key roles across three distinct client segments. Our clients face progressively complex business and technology decisions… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Forrester Research reviews and ratings - including employee satisfaction and approval ratings for Forrester Research CEO George F. Colony. All 240 reviews are posted anonymously by Forrester Research employees.