Forward Air

Updated 18 October 2014
Updated 18 October 2014
2.8

Bruce A. Campbell

Overall a good company to work for.

I worked at Forward Air

Pros

1. Caring work environment
    2. Good performance oriented incentive.

Cons

1. Bad holiday schedule - only 5 days in a year.

If you're looking for a company with advancement opportunities or that treats employees well, Forward Air is not the one.

Former Employee - Dock Worker in Atlanta, GA (US)
    Former Employee - Dock Worker in Atlanta, GA (US)

I worked at Forward Air full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Nice coworkers for the most part. I worked with some really good guys on the dock.

Cons

Management treats dock workers as though they are completely expendable. Horrible pay. I worked there full time for 5 years and the last 2 years part time. So 7 years total and after that much time I was only making $1.00 more an hour than the day I walked in the door. Management will lies to it's employees and will show favoratism towards certain employees. Will even fire an employee based on the claims of another employee without any proof or ever giving the accused employee a chance to defend themselves against the accusations. Overall, not a company worth putting much effort into. It isn't recognized or rewarded.

Start treating employees better, especially dock workers. No matter how good of a business or marketing plan you come up with, no matter how good your sales team is, the workers on the dock are the ones that determine the success of the company.

Employee Oriented

Current Employee - ASM
    Current Employee - ASM

I have been working at Forward Air full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Company values, benefits are very good. Positive work environment and RVP support

Cons

Sales team is required to be in the office daily

Allow field sales reps to start their day straight from home as opposed to the office/warehouse

Lack of Balance, Terrible Management

Current Employee - Sales
    Current Employee - Sales

I have been working at Forward Air full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Pay is good, nice bonus structure, good benefits--insurance, matching 401k and discounted stock, sales team gets phone allowance, mileage compensation.

Cons

Very little balance, long hours, only 1 week vacation for first 3 years, mid-level management has a total double standard--'do as I say, not as I do' attitude, upper management is totally out of touch.

Consider giving more time off to allow employees more balance between work/home life. Take the time to look closer at mid-level management--my regional sales manager was a disgusting, racist, sexist pig and left the company open to liability.

Easiest Job On The Planet

Current Employee - Dock Supervisor in Tulsa, OK (US)
    Current Employee - Dock Supervisor in Tulsa, OK (US)

I have been working at Forward Air full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Simple job, good pay, good management team. This job is all what you put into it. Work hard, you get paid. Benefits are a lot more affordable than a lot of other places I've worked. No weekends required. Area Manager has a genuine level of concern for his employees. Pay has been good.

Cons

Limited career advancement oppurtunities. That's about it.

Very good experience......great managers, great people!

Current Employee - Logistics Coordinator in Columbus, OH (US)
    Current Employee - Logistics Coordinator in Columbus, OH (US)

I have been working at Forward Air full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Fast Paced, growing company with a bright future!

Cons

Could use some more formal training, not just OJT.

Minor league company

Current Employee - Manager
    Current Employee - Manager

I have been working at Forward Air full-time (more than an year)

Pros

You are paid weekly, have decent benefits, and have the option to purchase stock after a year at a discount. Your insurance is good for a month if you leave around the first of the month. If you leave close to the end, you lose it at the end of the month. So, if you are planning on leaving, do it at the 1st of the month.

Cons

This is for the Solutions side. If you are interested in working here, run in the opposite direction. Upper management has no clue about ethics, integrity, or conflict resolution. The operations are filthy, (graveyard of trucks, broken toilets, and piles of broken pallets) and the company only wants non degree types for management. No training for outside folks. One poster had mentioned that FAS was using non-English workers. This is true in the east as they can save on labor costs. Bottom line is all that counts, even if it means lying to the customers. The company is not willing to fix the underlying problems nor will they want you to point them out. By the way, drivers, no pay increases for you. Contractors, you can get termed for the simplest thing without warning or appeal. An employee's job is never safe, and don't think that you are new that they will not make you a scapegoat for uncovering massive failures.
    There is no support staff, the support functions are performed by Freight employees who do not care about Solutions for the most part.
    The company as a whole is more focused on the Freight side then Solutions.
    Overall, the majority of the people working for FAS are miserable working here. I wished I never came here.

Work on conflict resolution. Increase audits and hire professionals to run the company. Start leadership training.

Use and abuse

I have been working at Forward Air

Pros

The only good thing is that there are good loyal dock workers besides all the abuse. They stay besides all the threats of being fired.

Cons

Have in their own laws management cannot curse to employees ,yet cursing is in almost every sentence and employees are constantly getting put down and disrespected. A night supervisor curses out customers and drivers, i wouldn't be surprised if those drivers come back and go postal because of him. Human resource does nothing to help it goes in one ear and out the other

Treat you employees as the human beings and woth respect.

Job has no potential!!!

Current Employee - Cargo Handler in Des Plaines, IL (US)
    Current Employee - Cargo Handler in Des Plaines, IL (US)

I have been working at Forward Air full-time (more than an year)

Pros

the Benifits and the pay

Cons

The dock manager is a moron.He puts all his family and friends in positions of power.He treats the dockmen like garbage and has no compassion for anything that goes on in someones life!

You both are terrible to work for and should be fired!!!

It was an new and excellent experience

Current Employee - Cargo Handler in Irving, TX (US)
    Current Employee - Cargo Handler in Irving, TX (US)

I have been working at Forward Air full-time (more than an year)

Pros

great pay and flexible schedule

Cons

a lot of people didn't do the job assigned to them