Foster Wheeler

Foster Wheeler Reviews

Updated Apr 21, 2014

Foster Wheeler CEO and Director J. Kent Masters

J. Kent Masters

An excellent company to work for.

Mechanical Engineer (Former Employee)

I worked at Foster Wheeler full-time for more than 10 years

ProsVaried opportunities. The technical capabilities of the staff are second to non. World class executions of project. Plenty of overseas opportunities.

ConsThe salary may not be competitive with the likes of other companies nearby. But the work life balance certainly makes up for that.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe more competitive with salaries. Possibly follow the likes of other companies such to use the 9 day fortnight scheme.

good company but resistant to change

Construction Engineer (Former Employee)

I worked at Foster Wheeler full-time for more than 3 years

Prostravel opportunities, global business, high quality technical and project management experience, people are treated nicely, market pay

ConsResistant to change, can take years to progress, not too transparent in communication, very reactive strategy and unwillingness to change stops that too.

Advice to Senior ManagementYoung blood needs to be brought in. This is a long term commitment. Diversify a bit more. Local bases in some african regions. Take more risk. Lessons learned and data needs to be collected to make a world class industry repository for FWs benefit and competitive advantage.

Great place to work

Buyer (Current Employee)

I have been working at Foster Wheeler full-time

ProsFree parking, great people to work with

ConsMost Senior Management have been around for a while and can be stuck in historic working ways.

Constant and overwhelming frustration

Project Engineer (Former Employee)

I worked at Foster Wheeler full-time for more than 3 years

ProsLots of talented people on projects.

ConsThose talented people on projects always frustrated and dissatisfied. Corporate management very disconnect from project people and very bureaucratic. Lots of procedures and rules that don't quite work or make sense. Overhead management is about 10 layers, and you are lucky if you get to talk to your immediate line management once in several months; and you have no chance to ever get to meet and talk to managers beyond his level.

Advice to Senior ManagementDear upper management: cut your numbers by half and make the company more competitive pn the market. Stop spending all your time in endless corporate meetings and get to know your projects and people who execute those projects. You keep losing talented people because they do not feel valued. Quite on the contrary, most professional, talented and free-spirited people in your company feel they are treated like schoolchildren who always need to be told and disciplined.

Old Guard Lost the Plot!

I have been working at Foster Wheeler full-time for more than 10 years

ProsRelaxed, good engineering computer systems, Flexible working hours, so much good hard working individuals trying to give the company a boost. very good FEED projects including Lump sum pricing. good PMC projects

ConsManagement have lost the plot, The old guard are hanging on a straw,too much Gossip. bad relations between departments.poor benefits. We have lost too many excellent processionals due lost confidence in management and management not listening.

Advice to Senior ManagementI would focus to winning new projects, draft every living soul in our proposals group. shake middle management a bit.

I joined Foster Wheeler 18 months ago and really enjoy working there. The Company clearly values it's employees.

I have been working at Foster Wheeler

ProsThe Company demonstrates real integrity in its dealing with customers and staff, the culture is respectful and everyone works hard.
Wthin Reading office there are great facilities, gym, restaurant, social club - great employee discounts!

ConsThe building is a little dated and it takes a while to learn your way around.

My experience was good, knowledgeable, a great company to work for.

Executive Assistant (Former Employee)
Houston, TX (US)

I worked at Foster Wheeler full-time for more than a year

ProsProposal Department was busy department, challenging able, my trainee was very trained and very professional.

ConsThe hours for working in the proposal hard, they expected you to work long hours and weekend too.

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement need to stop playing games with employees and be honest with employees. Help employees, care about the employees, stand behind your employees, but most of all respect your employees

Very Mediocre company.

Project Controls Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at Foster Wheeler full-time for more than 3 years

ProsThere isn't a real incentive to target this company unless you are unemployed.

ConsThere isn't a real incentive to target this company unless you are unemployed. This company isn't a world class company yet. They want to be but they haven't made it as yet. Upper management has turned over a number of times in the past few years, leaving you with an unstable feel. The recent buyout by AMEC contributes to this feeling also.

Advice to Senior ManagementRead "Cons" closely.

– I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company

Great company

I have been working at Foster Wheeler

ProsEveryone you work with is helpful and pleasant

ConsNo problems at this time

Do not stay there for long if you have better opportunities.

Process Engineer (Former Employee)

I worked at Foster Wheeler full-time for more than 3 years

ProsVery good place for a fresh graduate engineer to start works with. The health benefits and retirement plans are excellent.

ConsThe HR people are an not very helpful for international employees. The management has very strict policy on matters like internet browsing, check-in times etc.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe managment should be more encouraging to empower employees according to their talent and interests.

Worked for Foster Wheeler? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Foster Wheeler reviews and ratings - including employee satisfaction and approval ratings for Foster Wheeler CEO J. Kent Masters. All 59 reviews are posted anonymously by Foster Wheeler employees.