Foster Wheeler

Foster Wheeler Reviews

Updated Jul 23, 2014

Foster Wheeler CEO and Director J. Kent Masters

J. Kent Masters

Pros
  • 9/80 work schedule allowed for a good amount of time off(in 4 reviews)

• Relaxed, good engineering computer systems, Flexible working hours, so much good hard working individuals trying to give the company a boost(in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • Salary is favourable, but employee benefits require improvements, in particular annual leave days and medical benefits(in 3 reviews)

• Management have lost the plot, The old guard are hanging on a straw,too much Gossip(in 3 reviews)

An excellent company to work for.

Mechanical Engineer (Former Employee) Reading, England

ProsVaried opportunities. The technical capabilities of the staff are second to non. World class executions of project. Plenty of overseas opportunities.

ConsThe salary may not be competitive with the likes of other companies nearby. But the work life balance certainly makes up for that.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe more competitive with salaries. Possibly follow the likes of other companies such to use the 9 day fortnight scheme.

Staff ethics are poor, most are just there to collect a pay check.

Engineer (Former Employee)

ProsFlexible working in the true sense, good salary compared to others in the reading area. Real opportunities to work oversea on good packages.

ConsNo expectation to high achieve, full of whole family units, husbands wife's and their adult sons daughter, brothers sisters all using the company as a cash cow. Staff very unhelpful, no one willing to explain when asked questions which relate to their role just get vacant looks and expressions. The management still operate like its 1980, staff must know their place.

Advice to Senior ManagementEmploy more younger professionals, to dilute the dated and insular culture.

good company but resistant to change

Construction Engineer (Former Employee) Reading, England

Prostravel opportunities, global business, high quality technical and project management experience, people are treated nicely, market pay

ConsResistant to change, can take years to progress, not too transparent in communication, very reactive strategy and unwillingness to change stops that too.

Advice to Senior ManagementYoung blood needs to be brought in. This is a long term commitment. Diversify a bit more. Local bases in some african regions. Take more risk. Lessons learned and data needs to be collected to make a world class industry repository for FWs benefit and competitive advantage.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great place to work

Buyer (Current Employee) Reading, England

ProsFree parking, great people to work with

ConsMost Senior Management have been around for a while and can be stuck in historic working ways.

Constant and overwhelming frustration

Project Engineer (Former Employee) Reading, England

ProsLots of talented people on projects.

ConsThose talented people on projects always frustrated and dissatisfied. Corporate management very disconnect from project people and very bureaucratic. Lots of procedures and rules that don't quite work or make sense. Overhead management is about 10 layers, and you are lucky if you get to talk to your immediate line management once in several months; and you have no chance to ever get to meet and talk to managers beyond his level.

Advice to Senior ManagementDear upper management: cut your numbers by half and make the company more competitive pn the market. Stop spending all your time in endless corporate meetings and get to know your projects and people who execute those projects. You keep losing talented people because they do not feel valued. Quite on the contrary, most professional, talented and free-spirited people in your company feel they are treated like schoolchildren who always need to be told and disciplined.

Old Guard Lost the Plot!

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Reading, England

ProsRelaxed, good engineering computer systems, Flexible working hours, so much good hard working individuals trying to give the company a boost. very good FEED projects including Lump sum pricing. good PMC projects

ConsManagement have lost the plot, The old guard are hanging on a straw,too much Gossip. bad relations between departments.poor benefits. We have lost too many excellent processionals due lost confidence in management and management not listening.

Advice to Senior ManagementI would focus to winning new projects, draft every living soul in our proposals group. shake middle management a bit.

I joined Foster Wheeler 18 months ago and really enjoy working there. The Company clearly values it's employees.

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Reading, England

ProsThe Company demonstrates real integrity in its dealing with customers and staff, the culture is respectful and everyone works hard.
    Wthin Reading office there are great facilities, gym, restaurant, social club - great employee discounts!

ConsThe building is a little dated and it takes a while to learn your way around.

Good company to work for.

Mechanic (Former Employee) Saint Johns, AZ (US)

ProsGood people, good benefits, and health benefits.

ConsPeople are just hiring their own relatives.

Overall, Foster Wheeler is a great company to work at but great disparity between offices regarding management ability

Design Engineer (Current Employee) Bangkok (Thailand)

ProsFlexible working hours, so much good hard working individuals trying to give the company a boost.

ConsSome office project management offices need a better understanding of project requirements and employee benefits.

Excellent company if you are cautious

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsExcellent working environment. Scope to improve your knowledge.

ConsHR's manpower planning to be improved. Some of the employees were terminated without notice.

Advice to Senior ManagementPerformance of managers to be reviewed.

Worked for Foster Wheeler? Contribute to the Community!