Fred Meyer

Updated 19 August 2014

3.5

Fred Meyer President Lynn Gust
Lynn Gust

Pros
  • they have good benefits and care a lot about their employees (in 18 reviews)

• Flexible hours if you're working part time (in 15 reviews)

Cons
  • It's very difficult to get into a full-time situation there (in 12 reviews)

• Too much staff so there is not enough hours for all part time employees (in 11 reviews)

More Highlights

Many opportunities for working families. Love the medical benefits even when working part time.

Current Employee - Price Changer  in  Renton, WA (US)
    Current Employee - Price Changer in Renton, WA (US)

Pros

I like working here because I enjoy my job. There are many career opportunities. They are a successful company that constantly evolves with the times. We have great benefits including holiday pay, vacation pay, sick leave, special discounts, medical, dental, vision, and stock options.

Cons

Like every business sometimes the wrong people are put in the wrong place and they do not follow the guidelines and the core vision of the company. Treating people right.

Implementing a program where as many fulltime employees will be utilized as possible. Giving people set schedules with two days off in a row for accepting a full time position and more responsibility. It is a win win you get employees who are happy they take care of the business because the company takes care of them.

Decent place to work for students, young people, or those with no ambition (deli department clerk)

Current Employee - Deli Clerk
    Current Employee - Deli Clerk

Pros

During my three years at this company, I faced all the usual frustrations of retail work: a never-ending onslaught of demanding customers, a constant shortage of time for completing tasks, and management incompetence. Those are not "cons," but exactly what you should expect in a retail environment. It's better than working at Walmart, that's for sure. I genuinely believe the company cares about its people. The pay is competitive (but hey, this is a retail business, so don't get your hopes up). There are opportunities for advancement, even for the lowliest employee, providing you show some promise. Generally, time-off requests are honored outside "blackout" periods. My department manager was very flexible about scheduling hours around my school schedule, and I was very satisfied with her as my supervisor.

Cons

I could list several problems I noticed while working here, but they would probably apply to every retail business. My coworkers were, for the most part, lazy do-nothings who only cared about earning their paychecks. People call in sick constantly, simply because they don't feel like working. If you care at all about your work, you will constantly be frustrated as you watch your fellow workers doing a shoddy job or failing to respect the customer. Management can also make your life difficult, as they roll out new programs out of the blue and expect you to be totally on-board, even though they never asked for your input on the project. I watched several promotions that were DOA because nobody bothered to ask those of us on the front line whether it was feasible or what the customers were looking for.

Management should try to solicit employee input on new or radical promotions before committing to a full roll-out. I understand that the company wants to give customers a uniform experience across all locations, since programs like the "taste of Mexico" were a disaster at my store. Also, the store management team must learn not to bounce between aloofness and over-bearing micro-management.

Gainful employment for a number of years.

Current Employee - Fruit Cutter  in  Portland, OR (US)
    Current Employee - Fruit Cutter in Portland, OR (US)

Pros

Good opportunities for growth if interested. Flexible with school schedules.

Cons

Frequently hard working conditions can be difficult to overcome. Management is sometimes inexperienced and unwilling to accept input from experienced associates.

Educate and train management to handle situations wisely.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Fairly Standardized Employment

Former Employee - Deli Clerk  in  East Wenatchee, WA (US)
    Former Employee - Deli Clerk in East Wenatchee, WA (US)

Pros

The great thing about this company is they focus on several things at once, but in such a way that each employee can keep up. The basics are customer service, quality, and overall sales (the usual).

Cons

Certain jobs in Fred Meyer are Union, and some are not. Training tends to be lacking, and God help the person who works in a department with its own cash register. I was there 2 months and never got to go through the cash register training class required to be allowed to even touch the registers.

Figure out how to work WITH your employees, and communicate with them better.

Public Affairs

Former Employee - Public Affairs  in  Portland, OR (US)
    Former Employee - Public Affairs in Portland, OR (US)

Pros

Good work life balance most of the time.

Cons

Supervisor didn't have experience in supervising and wasn't interested in laws, policies, or job descriptions. Supervisor was demeaning and rude although most everyone who meets her (and does not work for her) thinks she is SO nice. She needed an administrative assistant to keep her organized and some supervisory training. Front end P.I.C.s get more training in supervising humans than she had.

There needs to be supervision of supervisors in the main office. Mine was getting away with murder because no one was paying attention.

Decent Job

Former Employee - Grocery Clerk  in  Bellingham, WA (US)
    Former Employee - Grocery Clerk in Bellingham, WA (US)

Pros

Good benefits, easy online schedule, co-workers were all nice.

Cons

Made minimum wage, got hours cut, and the work gets tedious after awhile.

Good part-time job for while in school

Former Employee - Home Sales Clerk  in  Snohomish, WA (US)
    Former Employee - Home Sales Clerk in Snohomish, WA (US)

Pros

Management was usually pretty good about working my hours around my class schedules. Coworkers were generally great people to work with.

Cons

With the frequent moving around of department managers between stores it was difficult to build a working relationship with the management.

Tolerable but could be better

Former Employee - Pharmacy Technician  in  Salem, OR (US)
    Former Employee - Pharmacy Technician in Salem, OR (US)

Pros

Easy to get hired, good discounts for employees on store items when there is a sale going on

Cons

HR and management don't back up staff, union involvement makes everything difficult and creates a barrirer between staff and upper management.

Stop running your employees into the ground. Also, when an employee brings up a serious issue and has written proof of the issue, don't just try to sweep it under the rug and not deal with it.

Fred Meyer Sucks

Current Employee - Home Department Associate  in  Redmond, WA (US)
    Current Employee - Home Department Associate in Redmond, WA (US)

Pros

Decent benefits, easy for most people to schedule time off and get it off. very easy to get and use vacation time, work for the most part is relatively easy.

Cons

Bad pay, weak union, extremely unprofessional, dishonest management, company will skirt around with part time employees hours to avoid having to give them full time benefits (39 hours, come on), Unpredictable amount of hours (40 hours one week, 20 the next). Managers seem to hire and promote who they knew from other stores more than qualified employees, regionals (management's bosses) are idiot jerks.

Put yourselves in the shoes of your employees for once.

High starting exceptions, however they did not pan out.

Current Employee - CCK Cashier  in  Marysville, WA (US)
    Current Employee - CCK Cashier in Marysville, WA (US)

Pros

As an entry level job, the work environment is good. I received three days of training before I ever stepped behind a register on my own. The management treated me fairly and all my fellow workers always seemed pretty relaxed at work. If you work there long enough, they also have fair health benefits.

Cons

Over hanging corporate restrictions from parent company. Many goals such as speed in a check-stand, are given more attention then customer service. This is my story, even though I never showed up late, or called in sick. My customer service and bagging were both rated above average. But because my performance score, though it was improving, i started at a score of 60 (with 100, being the goal) and when they let me go I was 60 days into my 90 day probationary period and my score was 85. The store director felt my improvement was not significant enough to continue my employment, they felt i had already maxed out my potential and terminated me on the spot, without continuing my probationary period.

Take time to understand that the value of an employee in customer service, goes beyond speed.

Worked for Fred Meyer? Contribute to the Community!