Fry

www.fry.com

Fry Reviews

Updated Jun 20, 2014
Fry – Ann Arbor – “Parking Lot 5pm”

Fry – Ann Arbor – “Parking Lot 5pm”

John E. Gularson

Used to be a good company.. not anymore

Lead Software Engineer (Former Employee) New York, NY (US)

ProsDave Fry had a vision and good people who worked with the end result in mind. Great environment when Dave was around. He was involved in everything. I got a card every anniversary, holiday and birthday. They appreciated employees and hired the best quality workers. this was pre-2011. Work environment was flexible, no drama and tension free. Engineers were appreciated and commended for their hard work.

ConsNOW- HIRE cheap labor. go to a third world country hire fresh graduates with little or no experience. severely underpay them and make them work 70-75hr per week. How do you expect a fresh graduate to work like a 12 year veteran? Un deserving people in top management. When top management leaves (ex MDs or PGMs or Technical Directors), the NY office in particular, promotes former PMs or Sales people with little or NO technical background! How is running a Tire company the same as being a Software dev manager? Resource allocations were done by PMs who knew engineers work ethics. Now PGMS and MDs just sit there and count heads/resources. They don't realize that certain clients require people with extensive experience.
    -No new exciting clients.
    -Last project was a big failure. 8 month deadline took 18 months to complete. Client was very unhappy.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to the Engineers. They are the driving force of the company. If the engineers are not happy and well paid, you are not producing quality work. Don't over work the engineers. Hire experienced people with Strong Java background, not fresh off the boat students with little work experience. Senior engineers are not there to "teach" the junior engineers. Hire qualified hands that can jump in and begin working with little or no learning curve.

Good

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsLots of smart nice people.

ConsWatch for groups siding together

Advice to Senior ManagementMove faster

A sweat shop running on out of date platform.

Web Developer (Former Employee)

ProsCompany seems to have steady clients and many are high end retailers. Work environment is casual and benefits are decent.

ConsDevelopment is run as a sweatshop. Little interest in new ideas. Platform is home grown, using obsolete technologies. Little OO Design - actually platform is implemented with a lot of anti-patterns. Very frustrating for developers. Little respect for developers by management.

Advice to Senior ManagementRe-engineer you platform.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Worst Ecommerce Company Out there

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Ann Arbor, MI (US)

ProsGood team members, prone to in-fighting though. Everything is a debate.

ConsOutdated platform, ineffective management, no sales leads, co-worker turmoil, low pay. If you work here do not plan to spend the holidays with your family, you will be working around the clock from Thanksgiving until New Years. No work/life balance. Engineers are treated like slaves, usually working at least 70 hour work weeks.

There is no clear goal for the future, no clear career path for employees and no direction from leadership. You will be kept in the dark until the next round of lay-offs, or until they outsource your position, which is becoming more and more common here.

Small and irrelevant client list, no big or exciting clients to work for or to do ground breaking work. Just small, dopey clients and cookie cutter technology that is a dinosaur.

Steer clear of this archaic firm.

Advice to Senior ManagementSell to the highest bidder.

Good Team, not much BS

ProsThey have high standards for the quality of work they will release. People are cool- no drama. The environment is professional and you can focus on doing a good job, not navigating office politics. Direct managers seem to really care.

ConsSometimes the planning isn't that good and people work a lot of overtime. Management and senior team members are overworked, so sometimes they aren't able to support you as much as they'd like. Also, there can be odd issues when you have to work with the parent company.

Advice to Senior ManagementPlan better! There's no reason for us to have these ugly crunches at the end of every single project. Some of us have been putting out fires every day for a year.

Fry (Micros-Retail) is a fun and innovative company.

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Ann Arbor, MI (US)

Pros* interesting work, unique and challenging
    * great people working at the company, mostly great clients
    * flexible hours with telecommuting and flexible schedules
    * growing company with a large Product development group

Cons* need good engineers, looking to recruit some good people
    * holidays can be very busy

Advice to Senior ManagementWork on your recruiting

A lot of change, not always for the best

ProsThis used to be a great place to be, but now that it has merged with MICROS there is a lack of strategy and communication internally. There are a lot of questions and not a lot of answers and unfortunately that has resulted in a lot of turnover. They are starting to figure things out, but not quick enough.

ConsLack of strategy sharing with staff.

Advice to Senior ManagementRespect the staff and share more. Recognize contributions.

Great Company....Until Bought Out

Technical Director (Former Employee) New York, NY (US)

ProsTruly one of the great web stories under David Fry. Under new leadership, not so much.

ConsManagement has no idea. They are trying to turn a brilliant retailer shop into lower cost IBM, quality is not respected, talent is not respected.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe the client. Stop trying to be IBM or ATG - be Fry, a classic retailer. Invest in long term and new ideas. Respect quality.

In spite of the bitter ex employee comments it is a great place to work.

Developer (Former Employee) Ann Arbor, MI (US)

ProsRelaxed environment that is getting lot's of new business. Omni-Channel integrations and solutions are taking off and a big hit in the market.
    It is funny but I have never seen so many ex employees that appear to be unable to move on. Change isn't for everyone. Omni channel suite of products has opened new doors and opportunities that wouldn't have been there had it remained Fry. Fry could not compete stand alone. There is a new energy in the AA office and it is really on the comeback trail. I am glad I didn't listen to the negative comments when I joined. Unfortunately I had to leave due to family reason. I will look to come back in the near future I hope.

ConsNot adding new employees fast enough

A solid company with faults, a place you can make your name

ProsMicros-Retail (formerly Fry) has the only true omni-channel solution for retailers and is delivering it for medium-to-large clients. Ex-Fry folks were turned off by being part of a larger company, but it was being a puzzle piece in a larger solution. Those who stayed and understood that see what a career boost this is--being in a broader context including hospitality, restaurant, etc. MICROS is a giant in the industry with huge resources, and they reward people who have good ideas and work hard to realize them.
    By the way, John Gularson is not the CEO and never was.

ConsOffices are a bit quiet and drab, but the people are great. Some policies, such as lack of transparency on expenses, are annoying, but that's what you get when you work for a public company. You do run into a bean-counter mentality once in a while.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep opening the doors to innovation. Fix the stuff that's cheap and easy to fix--that's often what employees are grumbling about the most. Hire more resources so we have some bench and agility.

Worked for Fry? Contribute to the Community!