Fujitsu Network Communications

Updated Apr 10, 2014

Fujitsu Network Communications President & CEO Makoto Hamada

Makoto Hamada

it was OK

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Fujitsu Network Communications

Proswas close to my house

ConsToo many layers of managers.

Intern

Intern (Former Employee)
Sunnyvale, CA (US)

I worked at Fujitsu Network Communications part-time for less than a year

ProsNot much pressure
No micromanagement
Location is directly connected with bus
Leave for interns
HR team and Payroll team is good

ConsOutdated technologies
Only experience people are there
Lack of proper documents to understand the architecture of the product
Using the same source code which developed more than 10 years ago

Advice to Senior ManagementInvest on latest technologies

Company without direction

Engineer (Current Employee)
Richardson, TX (US)

I have been working at Fujitsu Network Communications full-time for more than 10 years

ProsGood benefits, pay is around industry average, good facilities.

ConsLack of leadership and vision. There doesn't seem to be any consensus on where to take the company. Most decisions are made in a reactionary mode rather than anticipating outcomes and working to maximize the best result.

Advice to Senior ManagementCome up with a five year plan and find out where telecommunications is going. Try to join the leaders. Try to remember who brought you to the dance.

Challenging work environment

Management (Current Employee)
Richardson, TX (US)

ProsFlexible working hours, Richardson campus is nice and convenient for employees around metroflex.

Consvery short cycle of operating budget, impacting the moral and well being of the team, frustrating and stressful.
Extremely weak management at VP and above level. Absolutely NO vision and direction to lead the organization.

Reactive Management Style

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Fujitsu Network Communications full-time for more than 10 years

ProsThis company has good benefits and reasonable pay.

ConsFNC has been going through multiple reorganizations over the past two years. They seem to be shedding experienced senior leadership and engineers to save salary expense. Expect a transformation to a service based company if they survive the transformation.

Advice to Senior ManagementReconsider your commitment to employees. Develop a five year plan and adjust as annually.

Recent rightsizing didn't go far enough

Engineer (Current Employee)
Pearl River, NY (US)

I have been working at Fujitsu Network Communications full-time for more than 5 years

ProsFNC completed the last round of layoffs that were announced a couple of months ago. One goal was to reduce the number of layers of management. The new organization does look leaner, and departments were shuffled and new ones created to reflect the goals going forward. Kudos for that.

ConsMost of the people let go were deadwood, with a few notable exceptions. But those remaining have been here for years and will continue the same old same old attitude that has gotten FNC to the silo'd, turf protecting company that it is today. We will slug it out and keep on going but we can do much better.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't listen so much to the consulting group, and listen more to the folks trying to get the work done. You say the walls have to come down but you have the same building crew you had before.

Competes in Optical space on Price, thus all engineering effort goes into Cost Reduction, with minimal Innovation

Hardware Engineer V (Current Employee)
Pearl River, NY (US)

I have been working at Fujitsu Network Communications full-time for more than 8 years

ProsDerives stability from not making wild bets. A Japanese Company which means that (as opposed to American Companies) is not fixated on short-term stock price when making decisions that have a long-term effect.

ConsFails to anticipate the market direction. Responds to market needs only when proded by a paying customer. A Me-too company. Wins market share by undercutting the competition. Thus, barely makes money. Minimal innovation. All Engineering development efforts goes towards cost reduction. Appears to exist mainly so as to give its parent company (Fujitsu Japan) access the US markets and technology. Key decisions are made is Japan. Key Engineering development is commandeered by the Japanese development team - the leftover development is given to the US shop.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe size of the PMO, Planning and System Engineering organizations are too big for a company the size of FNC, especially when compared to its Development Organization. Almost15% of the company works in Planning and simillar groups. Moreover, there has not been any strategy direction coming from them in the past 10years.

Has its share of issues. But overall good place to work.

Pearl River, NY (US)

ProsGood Pay. Talented group of individuals. Relatively good job security. Benefits are excellent.

ConsLack of industry vision. Not a good planning team to keep up with latest technologies. Seems like development is lagging behind other competitors.

Advice to Senior ManagementImprove industry vision. Invest more in development team as opposed to planning and management.

Good company to work for if you do not care about stock options. Fujitsu is a market leader in Transport.

I have been working at Fujitsu Network Communications full-time

ProsGood work culture
No crazy hours
Lates technology on OTN side

ConsSlow to react
Slow to adopt cutting edge technologies on COE
Capex spending by major US carriers impact FNC business

Advice to Senior ManagementPay could be better
Poor RTI from offshore
Increase engineering , reduce PMO, Planning

A big company with big company problems

Manager (Current Employee)
Richardson, TX (US)

I have been working at Fujitsu Network Communications full-time for more than 3 years

ProsGood pay, benefits. Solid tech although not a cutting edge company.

ConsLots of big company problems - silos people have built around their depts, inflated titles and egos, slow to change (or recognize the need to change), etc.... And its Japanese. If you have worked for a Japanese company, you know what that means.

Worked for Fujitsu Network Communications? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Fujitsu Network Communications reviews and ratings - including employee satisfaction and approval ratings for Fujitsu Network Communications CEO Makoto Hamada. All 48 reviews are posted anonymously by Fujitsu Network Communications employees.