G.L Mezzetta

Updated Nov 25, 2013

Be The First To
Add Photos

Jeff Mezzetta

Great people behind a Great Product, Growing Company with lots of learning threw out the way

Office Administrative (Current Employee)

I have been working at G.L Mezzetta full-time for more than 5 years

ProsI feel very fortunate to be part of a company that is quickly growing and continuing to strive. In my 5+ years I have experienced the expansion of employees, offices, management and programs. Management shares high-level goals and company changes; they're accessible. It’s a family feel culture working environment.

ConsThe commute time is variable from either direction, 35min to an hour. Office space is limited due to the quick expansion. Some programs/resources are outdated, but management is aware and slowly starting to make those adjustments.

Advice to Senior ManagementSometimes changes are assumed to be communicated. A more defined career path would be helpful to pan out. Please continue to be accessible it shows great connection within the team no matter what position they are in.

A Company that is Growing

I have been working at G.L Mezzetta full-time for more than a year

ProsThe company has really evolved over the last few years. Not only do they make a great product, but they are really growing their culture and living their beliefs in connection, vibrance and opportunity, etc. They are hiring some creative and outgoing people who are really adding value to the company and are making a big impact on the business. They continue to grow, so there is opportunity to grow your career with the company.

ConsTheir benefits need to be more competitive.

Advice to Senior ManagementI think Management is doing a great job to empower the employees to make a difference in helping the company move forward. They are investing and training and development and working to drive change that will make the company successful.

Connection

I worked at G.L Mezzetta

ProsGreat people who care for each other. I worked with a team I felt connected to.

ConsNot in the bay area. The local commute to get to the plant is crazy.

Advice to Senior ManagementNeed to do pre hire personality test hire only good fit candidates.

Good company. Great People

I have been working at G.L Mezzetta full-time for more than 10 years

ProsMezzetta is a growing company with a very collaborative team. There are many employees who have been here for more than 10 years, with some over 25 years. With all growing companies people come and go. Cultural fit is key and if it's not there some can view there experience as a negative one. When you believe in a company's vision and participate in the growth its a very positive thing.

ConsNeed to improve our hiring process to ensure long tenure, as well as provide the company experience and expertise as we move into the future.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue with screening process for cultural fit during hiring process, as well as training for employee satisfaction and growth.

Great products, not so great work environment

I worked at G.L Mezzetta

ProsGreat products, lots of potential, that's about it.

ConsSenior Executives, and middle managers view employees as "disposable", and are oblivious to the notion that the employee-employer relationship is a "two-way street". Employee morale is low. Do not disagree, or present alternative ideas to senior or middle mgmt, unless you want to be retaliated against. Lonmg term employees are not open to resolving issues in a transparent way- instead its a self-protective environment where everyone is defending their turf (whether they are right or wrong).

Advice to Senior ManagementSeek executive coaching, provide training to current "middle" managers on how to succesfully manage a team, training in managerial "soft-skills" highly reccomended, Myers Briggs training to facilittae better communication between employees, managers, and senior executives. Company culture is "survival of the fittest"--work on changing this to "our employees are our most important asset"

Not the happiest environment

I worked at G.L Mezzetta full-time

ProsThe products are amazing and the company has a loyal customer base; the company is growing fast.

ConsIt's the culture of the company is to run on empty – most of the staff is very overworked and demands for resources and personal development are often ignored. Most people wear multiple hats, sometimes in multiple departments which is less of an honor and more of an attempt to play catch up. It isn't unusual to be told, “Go figure out how to do it and do it until we ask someone else to do it.” Expect that you'll receive minimal training here, although if you request outside training they'll likely send you. This company does not promote within despite what they say, I've seen multiple people get passed over for promotions (they deserve or have been promised) several times. Morale is very low among staff at all levels, personal development is nonexistent, the company vision isn't clear and the CEO is notoriously difficult.

Advice to Senior ManagementTalk more with your team about their career aspirations, and help them work towards their aspirations when you see the opportunity. Offer opportunities for current employees to attend personal development courses - an annual 2 hour workshop on microsoft office is NOT good enough.

Company has potential but needs better direction and employee satisfaction

I have been working at G.L Mezzetta full-time for more than a year

ProsGood group of people, good quality products, company has huge potential

ConsDysfunctional, poor communication and leadership, not a clear vision.

Advice to Senior ManagementTreat employees with more respect. Trust the people you hired and let them use their expertise so they can shine in their job.

Interesting

I worked at G.L Mezzetta

ProsFully Paid Medical Plan, 401K, Growing Food Manufacturer that may have more opportunity for growth in the future.

ConsManagers not necessarily good at being a manager. Managers are working managers who are good at what they specialize in but not necessarily good at managing others. There is more work than people since the company has grown tremendously in the last 5 years. Folk are over worked.

Advice to Senior ManagementSmall fish in a company are important also. Listen to them.

Worked for G.L Mezzetta? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at G.L Mezzetta reviews and ratings - including employee satisfaction and approval ratings for G.L Mezzetta CEO Jeff Mezzetta . All 8 reviews are posted anonymously by G.L Mezzetta employees.